Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Stax

Re: [Primer/Deck] Stax

After tweaking for a couple moths this is what I have been running and it has been very good since I made the final changes. It's definetly a Stax deck and not a Stompy deck at its core.

LANDS:

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    13 Mountains

CREATURES:

4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Avaricious Dragon
    3 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

OTHER SPELLS:

4 Blood Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Mox Diamond
    4 Smokestack

SIDEBOARD:

2 Fiery Confluence
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Sun Droplet
    4 Trinisphere
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

I hope someone here will pick it up and play it so I can get some more feedback.

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Princessforfun View Post
    I hope someone here will pick it up and play it so I can get some more feedback.
    i like it enough to make the list and run it at legacy FNM but is there a better token (rabblemaster) or permanent generator for the 4 smokestacks?

Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post
    i like it enough to make the list and run it at legacy FNM but is there a better token (rabblemaster) or permanent generator for the 4 smokestacks?
    I haven't found one. The Dragon, Bridge, Rabblemaster super team is pretty dumb until you find the Smokestack or you just Empty the Warrens in 15 turns. It also just oops I win if you can get it T1 against a pretty wide variety of decks. I really like Rabblemaster and God forbid you get two of them behind a bridge.

Meh.
    Aug 2006
    Atlanta, Ga

Hangarback Walker is great with Smokestack, but then you run into the issue of not having enough red cards for Chrome Mox.
    Tusk up.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Just fucking ban the 600 pound gorilla and be done with it. FFS

Quote Originally Posted by whienot View Post
    Hangarback Walker is great with Smokestack, but then you run into the issue of not having enough red cards for Chrome Mox.
    I tested Hangarback Walker for a little while and it just never really curved corectly in this build and it was really awkward early on with a chalice at one and Chrome Mox. I could see it being disgusting with Metalworker though.

I haven't seen much discussion about Sun Droplet. That card is extremely versatile and is really good against burn. It can also gets your life back from Ancient Tomb making some of the openers less risky.

Quote Originally Posted by Princessforfun View Post
    After tweaking for a couple moths this is what I have been running and it has been very good since I made the final changes. It's definetly a Stax deck and not a Stompy deck at its core.

LANDS:

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    13 Mountains

CREATURES:

4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Avaricious Dragon
    3 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

OTHER SPELLS:

4 Blood Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Mox Diamond
    4 Smokestack

SIDEBOARD:

2 Fiery Confluence
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Sun Droplet
    4 Trinisphere
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

Why no 8-Moon for maximum consistency? 7 is a nice number, but Moon is soooo well positions in this greedy, greedy meta I want to cut something for the 8th Moon. What would you suggest cutting?

Siege Gang seems good as well. Very nice finisher on it's own, turns on all those Goblins, and let's you go under your own Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanti View Post
    Why no 8-Moon for maximum consistency? 7 is a nice number, but Moon is soooo well positions in this greedy, greedy meta I want to cut something for the 8th Moon. What would you suggest cutting?

Siege Gang seems good as well. Very nice finisher on it's own, turns on all those Goblins, and let's you go under your own Bridge.
    I don't have the 4th Magus and haven't really tested it to be honest. I think you could trim the 21st land for the 8th Moon for sure. The one drawback I think is that grixis Delver rules the metashare and bolt essentially turns off you moon lock. Even one turn in that situation could lose the game if you can't get Chalice protection right off the bat. Blue has to choose whether they want to be locked out of one drops or mana with the FoW in the first two turns.

SGC I think is worth testing. I think it's CMC might be a little bit of a draw back, but I think your point is valid for sure. I would rather have that than the 8th Moon. The Mox Diamond isn't really crucial, but the extra acceleration is very nice. The other thing about SGC in stompy builds is that Moggcatcher is usually how you get it in to play. I have also though about Jaya Ballard, Task Mage. She seems pretty good just by herself and with the dragon.
    Last edited by Princessforfun; 06-09-2017 at 01:30 AM.

Uhhhh, Mirage Mirror seems really really good from Hour of devastation:

http://mythicspoiler.com/hou/cards/miragemirror.html

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

It's just from one MTGO 5-0 result, but Grasping Dunes is interesting new tech for Stax. It's not Stax's only problem, but Delvers, etc. getting in before lock pieces are a problem, and an uncounterable & recurrable solution is worth testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    It's just from one MTGO 5-0 result, but Grasping Dunes is interesting new tech for Stax. It's not Stax's only problem, but Delvers, etc. getting in before lock pieces are a problem, and an uncounterable & recurrable solution is worth testing.
    So, up to date version of the 8x manland "stock" list? I've been running a similar verison of that for some time, using Warping Wail as an additional removal / utility card, but no idea if thats needed.
    Think I'll try to include some Grasping Dunes for testing. Having a recurring way to deal with x/1 creatures seems nice, also x/2 is in reach but needs some investment.
    I'm still not sold on those Rishadan Ports. Port can be nice, but most of the time I want to play a permanent or activate the manlands instead. Also no gravehate seems suboptimal for me...
    Does someone has an idea against which matchup the Hangarback Walkers are sided in?

Quote Originally Posted by P210 View Post
    So, up to date version of the 8x manland "stock" list? I've been running a similar verison of that for some time, using Warping Wail as an additional removal / utility card, but no idea if thats needed.
    Think I'll try to include some Grasping Dunes for testing. Having a recurring way to deal with x/1 creatures seems nice, also x/2 is in reach but needs some investment.
    I'm still not sold on those Rishadan Ports. Port can be nice, but most of the time I want to play a permanent or activate the manlands instead. Also no gravehate seems suboptimal for me...
    Does someone has an idea against which matchup the Hangarback Walkers are sided in?
    I find Port odd in a deck running Crucibles, seems like Ghost Quarter would be better most of the time. Dunes is interesting, not killing DRS had me worried about it, but maybe it's worth a go.

I imagine hangarback walker is for any matchup where the opponent is running abrupt decay etc.
    Lands, MUD, Stax, and Miracles.

So a straight up colorless stax list got 7th in the Legacy Challenge this week. This was the list;

Creatures
    4 Lodestone Golem

Artifacts
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Crucible of Worlds
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Mox Diamond
    4 Ratchet Bomb
    4 Smokestack
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    4 Tangle Wire

Lands
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    2 Grasping Dunes
    1 Inventors' Fair
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Mutavault
    3 Rishadan Port
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Spellskite
    2 Zuran Orb
    3 Hangarback Halker
    1 Razormane Masticore
    2 Thought-Knot Seer
    "The enemy is getting too close! Quick! Inflate the toad!"

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

that guy has been running almost the same list for years now:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/player/Charlie-in-the-Mox
    -rob

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

New(ish) toy.

It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

New(ish) toy.

I think Pox wants that card. It may be worse than Mishra's Factory, but it could become copy #5.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Mar 2013

I think we want it too. It replaces God's eye unless you want a colourless token.
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Mar 2014
    London

So I ran a league with STAX after changing the list a bit. You can watch it here

https://thelibraryatpendrellvale.com...y-league-stax/

Or here

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...oF6cZQrYRITTIL

I hope you enjoy it!

NIIIICE! Always great this kind of content!

I'm playing a different list without all those manlands, using the manabase more as a toolbox resource than a kill condition, but I think anyway that the Horizon Canopy is a better choice for a deck with 4 crucible of worlds instead of the Monarch Land, also because the fact that the card you'll draw with the monarch, in the best case scenario, you can only play on your next turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Sibelius View Post
    So I ran a league with STAX after changing the list a bit. You can watch it here

https://thelibraryatpendrellvale.com...y-league-stax/

Or here

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...oF6cZQrYRITTIL

I hope you enjoy it!

Mar 2013

I enjoyed the vids, I must ask though why you would always tap your Tombs for pain man when you did not have to. You had an Urborg in play at one point and you had the right amount of land to cast things, yet you would always leave a man open and take a pain over tapping for Black.

Against the Eldrazi Taxes there were certainly a few misplays, but I think you could've lasted longer in game 1 and 2 if you prioritized keeping your man lands up and playing out Mishra's Factories, since they can pump each other to block the Thalias.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Thread Information