Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Stax

Re: [Primer/Deck] Stax

Quote Originally Posted by SMRiggin View Post
    So what are people swapping out for the Spyglass? I'm running a mono-brown list (it's a little further up the page.) I'm curious to see what people are cutting to find room for it, as I want to give it a go but I only have 1 real flex slot that is currently Phyrexian Metamorph.

Thx,
    Shawn
    I'm also runningn a mono-brown list and I cut 4 Ratchet Bomb for 4 Sorcerous Spyglass.

Quote Originally Posted by paradaxarada View Post
    I'm also runningn a mono-brown list and I cut 4 Ratchet Bomb for 4 Sorcerous Spyglass.
    Interesting. You haven't noticed any kind of weakness in the removal side?

Shawn,

For those testing Sorcerous Spyglass, how many have you been running? I originally started at 2 but wanted more. I currently like running 3 copies since they can be pretty redundant in certain scenarios / matchups. I haven't tested 4 yet since I'd have to cut 1 Oblivion Ring, but it's not out of the question. For those who have been testing x4 Sorcerous Spyglass, do you like it or do you think it's too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Steveman View Post
    For those testing Sorcerous Spyglass, how many have you been running? I originally started at 2 but wanted more. I currently like running 3 copies since they can be pretty redundant in certain scenarios / matchups. I haven't tested 4 yet since I'd have to cut 1 Oblivion Ring, but it's not out of the question. For those who have been testing x4 Sorcerous Spyglass, do you like it or do you think it's too much?
    In Brown Stax I currently play 2 max due to Inventors' Fair. I just need it for Planeswalkers or a few critical creatures anyway, so 1-2 seems enough. The trick to shutdown fetchlands is something that does not always work and on the long run is sometimes too short-sigthed imho. So I do not feel like maximizing it. The deck usually needs many turns to establish a lock where an opponent can draw into all kinds of stuff.

I'm trimming down to two Spyglass in the side to see how that feels.

I've been mostly running around three in the main since they became available. Was very excited to test the effect as it sure would be great to have another solid 2cmc lock piece. But in that light, I'm rarely thrilled to see it. I has come up as a key play maybe one in 10 games (in a sample of around 40).

I'm much more appreciative of it as a Pithing Needle that dodges Chalice, as a Revoker that is immune to Fatal Push. From that perspective, it is great! But I think that relegates it to the side.

I would like to thank Michael Coyle for his contributions to the Prison Community.
    I've been Trolling my way to the top with his brew this weekend... on the "Dutch Open Series".

I believe it was a 100+ players event. (but correct me if I'm wrong)
    I ran his same 75 that he used on the last SCG Legacy event. ( http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=17345&d=307301&f=LE)

7 rounds of swiss:

Round 1: 2-0 Elves (Win)
    Round 2: 2-0 Grixis Delver (Win)
    Round 3: 2-1 BUG Delver (Win)
    Round 4: 2-1 Grixis Delver (Win)
    Round 5: 2-0 Moonwalkers (Mono R Planeswalkers STAX) (Win)
    Round 6: I. D.
    Round 7: I. D.

7 people said that they were agreeing with splitting the pot. I was undecided. I didn't really mind, what ever they agreed on whas good for me.
    So Pot was split. Then there were still some unsplittable prices... so you could play top 8 if you want. My opponent wanted to go home... so I went to the half final.
    There I faced off another Moonwalker List... Fiery Confluence wrecked me hard. Lost both games... I was okay with it. At least one person trolled his way to the top... won the tournament too.

I got a bit lucky with my draws... You can prey on stuff that doesnt run to much non-basics. Spyglass vs Deathrite Shaman has changed the game a lot. I'm so glad they printed that card.

I think the list is pretty good... I'm not sure if "defense grid" is better then "Winter Orb" tough. I never brought it in... neither did I board in "Tabernacle". Winter Orb is problematic with "Tangle Wire" and "Trinisphere"... so if you want to walk that path, you will have to watch out.

You can see the deck perform on the twitch stream:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/200654698

02:47:32 - Round 3
    04:51:31 - Round 5

Michael Coyles performance can be seen on youtube, if you want to have more stax fun.
    It's from a local tournament I guess? Apperently he came in 1st and 2nd in 2 diffrent tournies.

Round 1: https://youtu.be/ypwQg3Imfic (Elves)
    Round 3: https://youtu.be/Vp6VWAtpaJg (UWR Stoneblade)
    1/4th Final: https://youtu.be/KDZZ1paVhRU (Grixis Pyromancer)
    Finals: https://youtu.be/j-UJXEg5lYM (BUG Delver)
    Last edited by kwk; 11-14-2017 at 04:47 AM.

Yup Coyle keeps reaching good position in Big Events with Mud /Stax makes me Hope for the dream.
    Would really like to talk to him about the deck and some tuning

What goes up... has to come down.
    Got one serious Ass Whuppin this weekend... went to a local tournament. 6 rounds.
    Still played the same list (see Coyle's Deckslist top 16 in SCG)

Round 1: 1-2 UWr R.I.P. Combo (Helminator) (Loss)
    Round 2: 2-1 Colorless Eldrazi (Win)
    Round 3: 0-2 Lands (Loss)
    Round 4: 2-0 UWr Stoneblade (Patriot) (Win)
    Round 5: 1-2 UWr Miracles (Loss)
    Round 6: 1-2 Grixis Control (Loss)

Round 1: Opponent drew a couple of Basics, and the combo... 2 and 4 casting costs kinda ruined the great opening I had. Just death. Won the 2nd one really quick (with combo as well). 3th game I ended up facing an "Energy Flux" and "Back To Basics" ... But I had a Metalworker out... But I couldn't find a sol land to try and combo out.

Round 2: Opponent lost to Bridges. Strange thing is that he won game 1 even tough there was a Bridge out. Apperently some endless ones + Eldrazi Scions (go go warping wail) beats a hand that gets flooded with Ancients Tombs.

Round 3: Got pretty much obliterated here.

Round 4: My opponent made mistakes first game... I made some mistakes too (I wasn't proud of myself). But I ended stealing game 1. Game 2 I just locked it up.

Round 5: Game 1 got overpowered by a Mentor. He just ran 1 mana spells into chalice, the tokens + A Tombs did the rest. Won game 2 super quick. Lost game 3 because my opponent naturally draws Engineered Explosives + Dissenchant (no ponder / brainstorm / jace) ... The Chant was just brutal, cause without it, I would have probably won in the next turn since I had the combo, metalworker just needed to get rid of summon sickness.

Round 6: Lost Game 1, Locked Gamed 2, ... and game 3 I kept a 5 card hand: Wasteland + Ancient Tomb + Inventor's Fair + Ensnaring Bridge + Staff of Domination. Scried "Serum Powder" to the bottom. Then I drew 6 lands, including 2x Ancient Tomb + 2x Inventors Fair and no wasteland... Opponent made Jace in turn 6, faith sealed 2 cards to the bottom... 8 draw steps later I ended with 11 lands and 2 spells... and opponent had bloodmoon out.

That was pretty much it.
    A lot more basics today... and the lands player just Quartered + Wasteland my entire plan.
    A lot of games that I lost were still super close... Except for the lands and the few decks that I lost by extreme mulliganing.

Thread Information