Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Stax

Jun 2013
    The Netherlands

Re: [Primer/Deck] Stax

If you go for cloister ensnaring bridge is a very nice card to try out as well. Always loved playing them together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    "Sometimes people advocate the banning of Brainstorm from Legacy, and it's okay to kill those people."

Quote Originally Posted by tyriion View Post
    If you go for cloister ensnaring bridge is a very nice card to try out as well. Always loved playing them together.
    You sir are a genius. It never occured to me when playing the deck. I'm so putting that combo in MUD.

It is a nice sinergy but be aware if cloister gets gripped o vindicated. You loose your hole hand

Enviado desde mi XT890 mediante Tapatalk

Jan 2014
    Halifax, NS

So I am working on building STAX as it fits into my "don't let others play" playstyle and I have read through this thread and wanted to apporach a cute W/R list

Mana (31)
    5 Plains
    2 Mountain
    4 Flagstones of Troikar
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ghost Quarters
    4 Mox Diamond
    2 Kjeldoran Outpost
    1 Platue
    1 Scrubland

Control/Lock (21)
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Crucible of Worlds
    4 Smokestack
    3 Trinisphere
    2 Tangle Wire
    2 Armageddon
    2 Humility

Win Conditions (8)
    4 Lingering Souls
    2 Assemble the legion
    2 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

Sideboard (15)
    3 Helm of Obediance
    3 Oblivion Ring
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Rest in Piece
    2 Tangle Wire
    1 Moat

I know there are some problems with the list as realy a 5CMC spell that just allows you to tick up stax can be a little expensive but i dont think it would be that hard to cast with sol lands.

Let me know what you think and hopefully I will get a few rounds in with it soon.

Been looking into building a stax deck, what is the main thing holding it back from being good?

Quote Originally Posted by Purpley333 View Post
    Been looking into building a stax deck, what is the main thing holding it back from being good?
    Inconsistent like what MUD suffers. But the thing is its inconsistent and slow, SDT would make the deck better but we also run chalice which is a no-go. But I still love it.

So ive been playing this stax deck on cockatrice.
    http://i.imgur.com/SgDpDHh.jpg
    Thus far its been winning the majority of games, beating multiple delver decks, storm, miracles, elves. Any thoughts on this? Im not sure about the TC but ensoul is amazing. I just cant seem to find a good sideboard.

So ive been playing this stax deck on cockatrice.
    http://i.imgur.com/SgDpDHh.jpg
    Thus far its been winning the majority of games, beating multiple delver decks, storm, miracles, elves. Any thoughts on this? Im not sure about the TC but ensoul is amazing. I just cant seem to find a good sideboard.
    For a Chalice deck, a 2 CMC spell seems pretty bad to put and would end up being a dead card in my opinion.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Usually, don't you wanna just lock 1cc spells?

Also, I saw this on the spoilers: http://media-dominaria.cursecdn.com/...7507898693.jpg

With this guy, you can keep spamming the board with threats while you feeding the board with resistors. Can also support Smokestacks if you have to.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Usually, don't you wanna just lock 1cc spells?

Also, I saw this on the spoilers: http://media-dominaria.cursecdn.com/...7507898693.jpg

With this guy, you can keep spamming the board with threats while you feeding the board with resistors. Can also support Smokestacks if you have to.

Thats the biggest problem im having, trying to find sb cards that are not 1 cmc. Cant think of any good GY hate, tormods crypt may be the best since I cant use RIP

This isn't Stax, but something loosely related. I was hoping I could get the Stax community's opnion.

I've been playing a discard-based Pox deck with The Rack for the past few years causally. I recently picked up a playset of beta Sinkholes, and have been excited to make use of them in a land-destruction Pox shell. I've also had a fondness for Smokestack, but lack the funds to build it in its true form. I drafted up a bastard list that looks, at the least, aesthetically pleasing on paper:

10 Swamp
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Wasteland
    4 Mishra's Factory
    2 Dakmor Salvage

4 Dark Ritual

2 Duress
    4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Innocent Blood
    4 Sinkhole
    4 Smallpox
    3 Pox

4 Bloodghast
    1 Nether Spirit

2 Crucible of Worlds
    2 Smokestack
    2 Trinisphere

Sideboard:
    3 Engineered Plague
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Null Rod
    2 Powder Keg
    2 Sphere of Resistance
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Trinisphere

I really like the cards mono-black has to offer at the 1CMC and 2CMC slots, so am tempted to avoid Chalice of the Void. Moreover, I lack the funds for Sol Lands. Curious, does the Stax community have any suggestions that could make this list a tad more cohesive? Or is melding up Pox with Stax not going to be a thing.

Thanks!

Jan 2014
    Halifax, NS

Thats the biggest problem im having, trying to find sb cards that are not 1 cmc. Cant think of any good GY hate, tormods crypt may be the best since I cant use RIP
    You could use leyline of the void. You cant hard cast (with out a mox) it but it still works with helm.

Dec 2011
    USA

14 Decklists according to The Council over the past couple years:

http://www.tcdecks.net/tipo.php?arch...&format=Legacy

Is there anyone out there actively still pushing a Stax / Prison Stax archetype anymore?
    Primary legacy deck High Tide primer

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Quote Originally Posted by feline View Post
    14 Decklists according to The Council over the past couple years:

http://www.tcdecks.net/tipo.php?arch...&format=Legacy

Is there anyone out there actively still pushing a Stax / Prison Stax archetype anymore?
    I'm still actively playing Angel Prison. I lost my win-and-in at the SCG Premier IQ in Los Angeles a couple weeks ago. Was rather heartbreaking. I have since moved away from the deck as the loss stung a little, but it's a great deck and likely my go-to for any future big events.

What about you feline? Are you pushing the deck?

Enviado desde mi XT890 mediante Tapatalk

Dec 2013
    Lowell MA

Found a sweet video of Caleb Durward playing a Mono W stax deck to a 4-0 finish. The legacy daily starts at 03:58:00.

http://www.twitch.tv/calebdmtg/v/402...c_location=ufi

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

i played it for about a year solid but then dropped it because of inconsistency issues which i do not believe are solvable with the current card pool. I believe most others have come to similar conclusions but some play it because it's the epitome of a prison deck.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

I'm brewing a Mono Blue tezzeret stax deck. It's pretty cool with Winter Orb

Right now my meta is going back to Delver which I find to be a terrible matchup for Stax.

There was one week at the LGS there were three people playing Miracles and one playing Pox. I wiped the floor with them with Stax, it felt so good. Stasis is my current pet project deck that I want to actually win with.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuke is Good View Post
    Right now my meta is going back to Delver which I find to be a terrible matchup for Stax.

There was one week at the LGS there were three people playing Miracles and one playing Pox. I wiped the floor with them with Stax, it felt so good. Stasis is my current pet project deck that I want to actually win with.
    I'm incorporating stasis in my tezz stax build as it's pretty much a lock with Tezzeret himself (you can fetch up seat of the synod and -X for orb of dreams if necessary). Winter Orb + Propaganda/Dream Tides/Pendrell Mists/Trinisphere/Tangle Wire is absolutely insane. Ratchet Bombs/Chalice of the Void help with Delver. ~3 Ensnaring Bridge has also been great.

Thread Information