Page 130 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132133 LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,600 of 2656

Thread: [Deck]BUx Reanimator

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: [Deck]BUx Reanimator

Reminds me a bit of that esper mentor reanimator deck.
    -rob

Hi everyone,
    I have problems winning the miracles matchup. Any tips? Good sideboard cards, first fatty to reanimate and general strategy for the MU?
    If possible I start with Ioona. Is is better to start with Griselbrand?
    Thanks for the help!

Having extra discard helps with this matchup. Since I'm on 3x collective brutality side and 3x TS main, I get up to 6 discard so it's easier to punch through the wall of counterspells.

If you're within the first 2-3 turns I'd get Iona and name white. After that I'd get griselbrand/jin (I prefer Jin in this MU personally as it only takes 1 creature out of it gets surgicaled + miracles needs to keep cards in hand to anything).

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

There isn't really a silver bullet here. Griselbrand is good early if you can protect him to get a hit in. Typically if he hits once and then gets plowed, you'll draw enough to take over in the next few turns. Other creatures are:

Iona, Shield of Emeria on white is a 3-turn clock, outs are Karakas or Jace.
    Inkwell Leviathan is a 3-turn clock, outs are Terminus or Council's Judgement.
    Keranos, God of Storms is a 7-turn clock, outs are Council's Judgement.

Out of the side I'd bring in more discard and Flusterstorm, maybe Show and Tell.
    I'd expect them to bring in their Flusterstorm, Surgical Extraction and Pyroblast; basically anything that's good T1 and also good with Snapcaster Mage.

Miracles is a tough matchup, but keeping redundant spells can be just as good as protection. Reanimate into Force into Reanimate again into Force again into a third Reanimate wins counter wars just as well. Be flexible to the first creature you put out not being the creature that wins you the game, so always have a plan for next turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Akroma, Angel of Fury has protection from white and blue: the colors that define Miracles. Terminus is Terminus and Council's Judgement is Council's Judgement, so it is what it is.

Inkwell Leviathan is essentially better at what it does, and is likely the best overall target against Miracles because it can't be targeted or blocked. It also has game against other decks. But you can at least Morph down Akroma and pump it with red mana.

Karakas does hit Akroma, but not Leviathan.

However, if you're looking for something that affects the board when it enters or leaves, then something like Sundering Titan could be devastating.

Specifically against Miracles I believe Aetherling is pretty great. They have a hard time getting rid of it, and once it hits the table inevitability is on your side. Potentially a three turn clock too, which isn’t bad.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Definitely a different take. Seems more like a splash of Reanimator, though 10 slots is deep to just dismiss it as a UB Control with Animate Deads.
    I'm curious what percentage of games were won off a (read: the only) Griselbrand compared to contol into Jace ultimate or Snapcaster beats.
    I played against a very similar list in paper this week. He won game 2 off an unchecked Grave Titan. (I was on Elves and had already used up my removal on Engineered Plague and a Liliana, TLH.) So it was different Lilianas, and maybe more snaps, but otherwise I think it was the same. I don’t know if he had Jace. I surgicaled g2 and don’t think it was there , but maybe it was in the board.

Hi everyone!!
    I'm going to play UB reanimator (i have been playing RB) and i think i need a little help with the list and the sideboard plan...
    Is there any kind of pdf or drive doc with a good list, matchups, sideboarding, etc?? It would be perfect if I can follow any kind of guide in my first steps with this deck

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

I wrote a primer that got buried a while back that went over most cards to consider. It's a bit dated now with DRS out and Assassin's Trophy as a new answer to problem lands and high CMC permanents, namely JtMS and Leyline.
    There isn't so much a stock list, since the main combo it so strong it's mostly up to your opponents to inform your sideboard.
    If you have any specific questions I'd be glad to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

I played in Most Excellent Games' Gaming for Gains 7 event. Here is a brief report.

1 Inkwell Leviathan
    1 Chancellor of the Annex
    1 Tidespout Tyrant
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    3 Griselbrand
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    1 Badlands
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Scalding Tarn
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 Animate Dead
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Daze
    4 Entomb
    4 Force of Will
    2 Izzet Charm
    4 Careful Study
    4 Exhume
    1 Preordain
    4 Reanimate
    2 Thoughtseize

3 Pithing Needle
    1 Grave Titan
    1 Abrade
    2 Echoing Truth
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Massacre
    3 Show and Tell
    1 Pyroblast

This is the same main deck I've been on for a while, but tuned the side for a Miracles and Grixis Control heavy meta with less Death and Taxes.

Round 1 Jarred on Miracles Win 2-0
    Game 1 I get a fast Griselbrand, he has a Swords to Plowshares for it, but I get to draw 7 cards and get another griselbrand on the following turn.
    I sideboard something like 2 Fluster, Blast, 2 S&T, Iona.
    Game 2 I have turn one Inkwell Leviathan, which I think is the best fatty in this MU.

Round 2 Sam on Death and Taxes Win 2-1
    I lose game one after a fast Reanimate because he has Karakas.
    I bring in Pithing Needles, Massacre and Abrade, I take out Griselbrand, 2 Exhume.
    Game 2 I get there on the back of a fast Inkwell and game 3 I have Inkwell + Massacre.

Round 3 Carver on Infect Loss 1-2
    I win game one with a fast Elesh.
    I side in 3 Show and Tell 2 Fluster 1 Pyroblast or something like that.
    Game 2 he has a super fast double invigorate draw on the play and I die.
    Game 3 I turn 1 Entomb and he plays Grafdigger's Cage. I Daze it and he Forces back. So here I am having to win off Show and Tell or Echoing Truth. He is clocking me with an Inkmoth but so far no pump spells. I have Griselbrand, Pyroblast and Show and Tell in hand, but only 3 lands. I consider whether it is best to jam Show and Tell into his 4 card hand or wait to see if I can draw a land to hold up Pyroblast as backup. I figure the odds of me drawing a mana source when I have 14 or 15 left in my deck are less than the odds of him drawing either a counterspell or a cantrip into one if I give him another turn. So I go for it, get Force of Willed and lose the match.

Round 4 Tyler on Loam Pox Win 2-1
    Tyler is a regular at my LGS (this event was about a half hour drive) so I know what he's on. I don't exactly remember how these games went, but I had a fast Griselbrand game 1, and he got me with a Leyline of the Void game 2.
    Game 3 Daze + Thoughtseize save me from a Chalice of the Void on 1 and a Liliana of the Veil in his hand.

Round 5 Harlan on NO BUG Loss 1-2
    Game 1 I'm not sure what my opponent is on for many turns. He uses several discard spells to pick apart my hand and draws the game out for a while, but I've only seen Underground Sea, Thoughtseize, Bayou, Brainstorm etc, so he could be on any of many flavors of BUG. I eventually land I fatty and when I pass the turn back he resolves a Leovold so I think he's on a generic BUG control deck.
    Game 2 I show and Tell in a Griselbrand and he drops a Progenitus. Oops.
    Game 3 He plays a Tarmogoyf early and I let it resolve. I later realize I should have countered it and Reanimated it, but I suppose that's not a super obvious line. He plays a Birds of Paradise and the next turn casts Natural Order once again going for Progenitus.

Round 6 Joe on Miracles Win 2-1
    All 3 games are pretty grindy. I remember ending game 2 with Fluster, Fluster, Daze, Daze, Force, Izzet, Izzet in hand and just not ever finding a way to combo off.
    Game 3 I get there off Show and Tell into Griselbrand when he puts in Blood Moon but I still have enough colored mana to protect my guy because I have multiple Lotus Petals.

Round 7 Michael on Grixis Control Win 2-1
    I think I start game 1 with Volc > Careful Study discard Tidespout into turn 2 Animate Dead. My opponent Diabolic Edicts me and I Daze it. Then I untap and hold up Izzet Charm and he Diabolic Edicts me again. This time I Charm it and bounce one of his lands. He looks at me like he's never seen these cards before and scoops. It was glorious.
    Game 2 he has triple Surgical Extraction and barely gets there with Gurmag beats before I attempt to go off a fourth time.
    Game 3 I don't exactly remember but I win with a Grave Titan.

Overall 5-2 record for 14th out of 86. Not the best, but I think I did OK. Deck felt great. I made some punts.
    Legacy - all flavors of Delver, UB Shadow, Eldrazi Stompy, UBx Reanimator, some UBx midrange piles
    Modern - Prowess, Traverse Shadow
    Pioneer - UW Aggro

Good work!

Oct 2005
    Belchertown, MA

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerRobot View Post

Round 4 Tyler on Loam Pox Win 2-1
    Tyler is a regular at my LGS (this event was about a half hour drive) so I know what he's on. I don't exactly remember how these games went, but I had a fast Griselbrand game 1, and he got me with a Leyline of the Void game 2.
    Game 3 Daze + Thoughtseize save me from a Chalice of the Void on 1 and a Liliana of the Veil in his hand.
    You're the reason I'm considering cutting Liliana, The Last Hope for a Wishable Bojuka Bog in the Sideboard. Atticus is the reason I haven't yet :)
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

This new card was spoiled today. https://media.wizards.com/2018/rna/en_iAClRqFGby.png

I think this card could make me want to play a white splash over green. This shuts off enemy surgical, daze, fow, terminus, while letting us still play fow and daze. I would probably switch my sideboard to include 2 of these, maybe 2 mentor, 2 disenchant, and 2 serenity.

Any thoughts?

Hatebears, in a combo deck? That's a terrible idea.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by sunlith42 View Post
    This new card was spoiled today. https://media.wizards.com/2018/rna/en_iAClRqFGby.png

I think this card could make me want to play a white splash over green. This shuts off enemy surgical, daze, fow, terminus, while letting us still play fow and daze. I would probably switch my sideboard to include 2 of these, maybe 2 mentor, 2 disenchant, and 2 serenity.

Any thoughts?
    That card sucks.

So to add a little more substance to the discussion than “that card sucks:”

The card has effects that would be useful to us. It is anti-hate for spells, same as we play anti-hate for permanents. I considered it too when I saw it. After awhile though I realized that Xantid Swarm and Hope of Ghirapur accomplish largely the same goal for less mana, and we don’t play those. Which isn’t to say we couldn’t or shouldn’t play those, but that’s another discussion. The point is that there is already another card that serves that purpose more efficiently.

Super good tool against Big Eldrazi

The card says "non-creature" so it doesn't do much vs eldrazi unfortunately.

If you want to play creatures in this deck, you should look for those that supplement our combo rather than prevent one aspect of the hate. You might protect yourself against one thing but the hate is so diversified nowadays that you can't lock everything. That's partly the reason why Meddling Mage isn't played and Prison isn't an archetype in legacy.

Adding to what crow said, you could be playing 3x xantids and it would play way better with our aggressive strategy. In fact, I'm wondering why nobody is doing it. It's a way to fight non-permanent hate as well as protection from edicts. Seems decent enough and it plays well with a slower gameplan because you can cast it and only use it later.

I’m curious why no one has tried Xantid Swarm too now that you mention it. Works for Storm. White decks will leave in most of their creature removal vs us, but Delver and Grixis Control both shave nearly all removal and rely on counters and Surgicals. Could be worth a slot, especially if you’re already running green.

Hope of Ghirapur is probably sufficient in non-green builds too. It has to connect with the player to work, but that also probably means that a flipped Delver will sit there staring at it instead of pressuring you, which is also good.

I doubt Girapur does anything in this era of Strix.

Thread Information