Page 128 of 133 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,560 of 2656

Thread: [Deck]BUx Reanimator

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Re: [Deck]BUx Reanimator

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerRobot View Post
    - Sideboard out Griselbrand I know this is probably controversial, but I take out all my Griselbrands after game one. Death and Taxes players don't care if you jump through hoops to get ol' Tin Fins. They have too many answers to this card.
    I'll agree with the points above but I wouldn't push this point as a hard rule. Griselbrand is still really good. D&T runs 2-3 copies of Karakas with no way to search for them; you'll still win games.
    If you have useful creatures to side in, then yeah go for it. But don't bring in Iona from the side to replace a Griselbrand. Don't side in something like Ashen Rider or Blazing Archon just because you're afraid of Karakas. They'll all eat a Swords the same, but at least Griselbrand will leave you 7 cards up.
    Bring in creatures that are goo against D&T. Inkwell Leviathan absolutely comes in. Keranos is good too. Empyrial Archangel is also good if you're running it.
    But don't just jam in irreverent bodies just because they aren't Griselbrand.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

I will go ahead and say that I am no longer the reanimator player I once was, but when I was playing this deck a lot (and even a little bit more recently) DnT is not the bad matchup that so many people say. Historically I felt favored against DnT, though this may have changed with the printing of the new spirit (haven't played against it yet so I can't say much there).

I wouldn't cut many Griselbrands in the matchup, it's still broken in half.

Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

You're missed Stryfo to be sure.

New Spirit isn't that awful to play against. I'd say facing Rest in Peace is still easily the worst. Containment Priest is probably second, them flashing it in can ruin many lines of play.

Only thing this does is makes your Exhumes very bad. Reanimate to force them to sac it is a fine play, same logic as Tormod's Crypt. But play Exhume, they'll sac in response then Exhume resolves leaving you in the exact same board state sans graveyard. Unfun.

Cutting grisel in any matchup is a grave error I can agree with shaving but never cutting.

Short version:
    Relatively new UB player here. I have a couple of post ban Qs.
    Has anyone had much success with the slower variants, or compared them in testing with the faster daze / petal ones?
    How do people feel about the green splash vs straight UB?

Not short version:

I've been lurking for a few months now, and sleeved up UBx a bit before the ban.

I was following the discussions beforehand on the petal / daze GO for it builds, vs the more discard heavy / slower variants. I played the petal / daze with 2 main SnT and did pretty well with the deck. I'm 7-2 so far in FNMs (one of the "losses" being an ID, and I misplayed quite a bit). I started with 4 petal / 4 daze but drawing them late game is a bummer. I'm down to 3 each and like it quite a bit.

With that in mind I have a couple of questions on how the deck is doing post ban. The only lists I see placing anywhere run petal / daze. Has anyone had much success with the slower variants?

Also, how much is a green splash needed? I started off with decay before ban and it was great against delver and drs in general. Golgari charms versatility was also quite nice. This last tournament I played straight UB and didn't have any problems, nor would green have really helped.

I've enjoyed the comments and insights from the thread these last few months. Thanks^^

The choice between UB and UBg is a personnal one. With green you'll play a slower game, fighting through hate since you have the best removal there is in decay/golgari charm. With straight UB you'll ignore the hate completely and try to play a different plan games 2-3. Then again, you can always mix both strategies and find the middle ground.

Either way, I found that I hated being locked by blood moon in a combo deck so I went back to a petals build to get faster/more resilient to mana screwing.

I am not aware of any big placements with the Petal-less build since back when some people played Grixis for Izzet Charm. Doesn’t mean it’s not good though. No UB variant has put up a lot of results in the last two years since RB got popular.

But yeah, UB is fine and UBg is good too. Depends what you’re trying to do really. UBg is probably better specifically against Containment Priest due to AD, and UB typically runs more Show and Tell and Echoing Truth so it’s usually a bit better vs Leyline of the Void. UB has a more solid mana base, while UBg gives you strictly more options. I’ve been on straight UB forever and it’s been good. Engineered Explosives is another option a lot of people don’t use but makes up for the lack of green to an extent. I also might go green if there are a lot of Chalices in your area.

4th in the last Legacy Challenge, playing Chancellor, petals, and daze:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...nge-2018-08-06

The sideboard is quite interesting - the green splash is for 3x carpet of flowers and a leovold, and the white only for mentor.

I've seen the power of mentor in tin fins. Has anyone tried carpet? Any stories of success or otherwise with it in reanimator?

Is hapless researcher better now that spell pierce is seeing more play?
    Last edited by nimkee; 08-07-2018 at 03:06 AM.

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Quote Originally Posted by nimkee View Post
    Short version:
    Relatively new UB player here. I have a couple of post ban Qs.
    Has anyone had much success with the slower variants, or compared them in testing with the faster daze / petal ones?
    How do people feel about the green splash vs straight UB?

Not short version:

I've been lurking for a few months now, and sleeved up UBx a bit before the ban.

I was following the discussions beforehand on the petal / daze GO for it builds, vs the more discard heavy / slower variants. I played the petal / daze with 2 main SnT and did pretty well with the deck. I'm 7-2 so far in FNMs (one of the "losses" being an ID, and I misplayed quite a bit). I started with 4 petal / 4 daze but drawing them late game is a bummer. I'm down to 3 each and like it quite a bit.

With that in mind I have a couple of questions on how the deck is doing post ban. The only lists I see placing anywhere run petal / daze. Has anyone had much success with the slower variants?

Also, how much is a green splash needed? I started off with decay before ban and it was great against delver and drs in general. Golgari charms versatility was also quite nice. This last tournament I played straight UB and didn't have any problems, nor would green have really helped.

I've enjoyed the comments and insights from the thread these last few months. Thanks^^
    I've been playing a petal less - daze less build for over a year and a half now, i previously played with petals and have relatively a good win-ratio, winning a league here and doing well in weekly tourneys. I switched to non petals because it has a much better lategame and can win games against multiple pieces of hate. 3 surgical + other hate has become a staple in pretty much every sideboard, and with a petal build the game is pretty much over if you go for a quick kill and you eat their hate on the spot. Also petal less builds are still quite fast, going almost as smoothly t2 as a petal build.

Regarding the green splash, i play decays (never liked golgari charm because of shaman being 1/2, might try it now) for the simple fact that I WANT MY ANSWER TO THEIR HATE TO NOT BE CHALLENGED ON THE STACK. When you play with decays, those containment priests, those RIPs, those cotv's and cages are all 100% to get taken out of the game, and for me, that's a guarantee that it's almost a necessity.

10 round Eternal Weekend Asia report incoming!
    Decklist, yes…61 cards

Lands (19 mana sources)
    2 island
    2 swamp
    3 underground sea
    4 polluted delta
    2 verdant catacombs
    1 misty rainforest
    1 flooded strand
    4 Lotus Petal

Sorceries / Instants (32)
    4 Reanimate
    4 Exhume
    1 Reanimate Dead (enchantment)
    4 entomb
    4 careful study
    4 ponder
    4 brainstorm
    3 daze
    4 FoW

Creatures (10)
    2 Chancellor (would consider 3 in the future)
    1 Hapless Researcher (helps fight through pierce / fluster, and can help with exhume)
    3 Grizz
    1 Elesh
    1 Iona
    1 Tidespout
    1 Grave Titan

Sideboard
    3 Show and Tell
    2 Echoing Truth
    1 Back to Basics
    2 Massacre
    1 Keranos
    2 thought seize
    2 duress
    1 fluster
    1 collective brutality

Disclaimer – I took about a 4-5 weeks off of magic, and the ave only played a few times since then. I was definitely not at the top of my game and nor was I the most familiar with this deck. Before this weekend I had about 7 tournaments total with some variant of UB, and only 3 of which were recent. The others were all pre DRS ban.

FNM Report is at the very bottom. I went 0-3 in matches. I changed the deck after the FNM for eternal weekend the next morning. This build had maindeck discard. I felt that going off turn 1 or 2 and winning for sure is where I wanted to be so I switched to a chancellor build for Saturday, with no splash.

Eternal event – 10 rounds. Biggest ever for me. I decided to go with straight UB because it seems to require, at least slightly, less thought. Also, I remember the biggest reason for me splashing green was AD, followed by golgari charm. Having 4 main deck basics made me feel more comfortable, especially against RUG delver. There are a few other cases it came in handy (show and tell). I also opted for the 2 Chancellor build, with 3 daze, 4 petals, and zero discard. I wanted to go all in on the combo game one before the hate came. I only remember seeing two other reanimator players, both on RB.

I ended up 6-4, though at one point I was 5-1. I started making play mistakes from fatigue. At least two of those last matches I literally threw the game away. G2 vs eldrazi I exhumed a Griselbrand into a Karakas when I could have brought in a Grave Titan and just won the match flat out. Instead he swung for lethal and I just laughed and was happy it was over. That was round 10.

The whole drink water / do push-ups between rounds etc is no joke. Had I more experience with the deck, 8-2 or 9-1 might have even been possible. I should have been 7-3 with a clear win in sight that last round.

6 out of 10 rounds were against Delver. I seemed to be 50-50 in those matchups, but one of those losses could have been a win had I paid better attention (later round, fatigue…). Another was a die roll away from winning. The 1st loss, against Grixis delver, was not close. The others however, were.
    Here’s the report. I’ll try to write things down according to notes as best as possible.

R1 Storm 2-0
    G1: T1 Chancellor, into entomb, griselbrand, petal, reanimate.
    In: fluster x 1, duress x 2, TS x 2, Collected x 1. Out  careful, fow, tidespout x 1 each, and daze x 3
    G2 I had chancellor, and a very similar hand. He played a petal off his land for chancellor. I duressed him, then went off Turn 2. Nothing of note was in his hand. I
    (1-0 overall)

R2 RUG Delver 2-0
    G1 he stifled a polluted delta. I reanimated a griselbrand a couple turns later and he scoops.
    In: fluster x 1, duress x 2, TS x 2, Collected x 1. Out  exhume, fow, tidespout x 1 each, and daze x 3
    G2: careful study, petal x 2, chancellor, fluster, usea, fluster. I draw a duress. T1 I play land, petal, petal, then duress him. I see stifle volc, delv, waste, island (he mulled to 6). I take the stifle, and careful study into land and exhume and go for it next turn.
    (2-0 overall)

R3 Delver 2-0
    Opponent plays delver go. On the draw, I have an opening hand of petal x 2, careful, elesh, GT, animate dead, and daze. I kept and drew a land. I reanimated the elesh and opp scoops. Could have went badly for me.
    In: fluster x 1, duress x 2, TS x 2, Collected x 1, back 2 basics x 1. Out  1 griselbrand, 1 careful study, 1 reanimate, 1 tidespout daze x 3
    G2 I didn’t have time to write opening hand down. My notes say I get a delta stifled, and then win a counter war with fow and fluster to get gris into play.
    (3-0 overall)

R4 Grixis Delver 2-1 (he got 2nd place overall)
    This was an odd matchup. I kept a t1 chancellor, with petal and no lands. I went for it with fow backup, but opponent had double force. I lose to a t1 delver and friends.
    G2, similar sideboard to the above, I win by clearing the way with duress and exhuming griselbrand.
    G3 I lose to…what seemed to be all the cards you would expect from grixis control. I got edicted, snap edicted, and then edicted a 3rd time. I was not expecting snapcaster and it wrecked me. It came out of his sideboard. Had I gone for a gravetitan instead I might have won.
    (3-1 overall)

R5 UR Delver, 2-1
    G1 Opponent had a counter heavy hand. My t1 gets dazed, then he passes leaving spell pierce up. My life total went from 19 to 13 to 12, to 9, then to 6 while he had more counter magic up.
    I sided in the discard package from above plus fluster.
    G2 I almost lost because I forgot my chancellor trigger. My opening hand was entomb, exhume, gris, ponder, fetch, and chancellor after mulling to six. Opponent starts with a swiftspear and then t2 another one, keeping pierce open. I eventually careful study and keep Gris in hand, pitching a Chancellor which I try to exhume. Oppenent cracked a fetch and surgicaled, so I entomb for gris, and he tries to surgical that but I FoW it.
    G3 life totals show me going down in chunks of 3. Notes say “patience paid off, duress cleared the way”. I kept 7 on the draw, and discarded Iona eot. Iona got surgicaled when I went to reanimate it. Life totals indicate I landed a griselbrand.
    (4-1 overall)

R6 Lands 2-1
    I kept a slower hand, which would have been fine against most decks but this lands player got a great hand, with bog in it. He set up a bog recursion and game 1 lasted 27 minutes before I scooped. I quickly 2-0’d him.
    G2 I sided in back 2 basics, show and tell, and duress x 2. My hand is entomb, exhume, griselbrand, ponder, fetch, chancellor (we both mulled to 6) I forgot my chancellor trigger. I island pondered into a daze, land, petal. I forced a sphere of resistance. The life totals indicate I exumed a griselbrand and drew 7, and won shortly thereafter.
    G3 I kept 7 on the draw, drew and discarded an Iona eot. I went to reanimate her and opp surgicaled in response. I expected this. I was patient and cleared the way with duress. I fetched basics, and then at 3 I show and tell landing griselbrand. Opp did have 3 crop rotations that I countered throughout the game.
    (5-1 overall)

R7 – 4c Loam 2-1
    G1 This was a long 3 games. The first game I forced a chalice and landed a griselbrand turn 2 or 3. I
    I sided out animate dead, all my daze, Elesh, and a Griseland brought in SnT x 3, E Truth x 2, and a Keranos for game 2.
    G2 He starts with leyline, and I could not find a show and tell or echoing truth even after cantriping through the top 10 cards of my deck. He lands a chalice, and then we play draw go for over 10 turns until he draws Karakas and I scoop to a Thalia and dryad arbor.
    I bring in 2 Massacre, and the gris and 1 daze came back in, taking out Keranos, Iona, Elesh (could be a mistake), and 2 exhume (he runs knights, which find Karakas). That’s as close as I can remember and decipher from the notes.
    G3
    My life total: 19, 18, 11, 10, 17, 25. I show and telled a quick griselbrand off of a petal turn 2 and won through two leylines!
    (6-1 overall)

R8 UR Delver 2-1 (He was 1st at the feature match table round 10, he got 8th).
    I was exhausted at this point and games 2 and 3 I kept sketchy hands.
    G1 I won with a no lander, petal and ponder hand with force / daze, reanimate, griselbrand, and chancellor. I drew something, discarded Griz and passed. Life total shows 20-> 12, 5, 12, and then 9. Opponent scooped.
    Same discard stuff plus fluster.
    G2 I basically did the same thing with grave titan. I lost to a pile of dazes and spell pierces.. I pondered for a land, did not find one. He pinged me with a swiftspear several turns while keeping a hand.
    G3 I kept another sketchy hand but with fow backup. I went petal into careful study, and drew an island. My opponent plays a tormod’s crypt and a swiftspear. I ponder into a delta, for a basic swamp. I pass, and am now getting pinged by two swiftspears (no pumps…). I duress my opponent the next turn to see a stacked hand. Daze x 3, Fow x 2. Opponent finally pumps his swiftspears by surgicalling something in my yard, at 2 life I respond with FoW into cracking a verdant. GG.
    I could have kept better hands. Fighting through that countermagic is just rough. Game 3 he had it al

R9 RUG Delver 2-1
    I’m practically drooling on myself at this point. Dazed and in a stupor.
    G1: On the play its trop delver go. He flips it to a daze. I eventually animate dead a griselbrand but am facing down a delver and a 5/6 tarmo. Life totals show that I smacked him with it twice, but would die to a crack back if I draw 7. I do remember swinging in with lethal, him chumping, and then untapping and topdecking a lightning bolt for lethal. I probably could have played that differently.
    I bring in 2 duress and a fluster, taking out tidespout, iona, and something else.
    G2 I reanimate a griselbrand turn 3 through some counter magic (putting me at 8). I swing a couple times and then close it out.
    G3 I am not quite sure what happened this game but my notes say: I kept a one lander with a duress. Opponent leads with tropical into goose. I duress to see opponents hand of wasteland, brainstorm x 2, pierce, volc. I took the pierce). He wastes me and pings me with a 1/1 mongoose from 20 to 14. Eventually discarded Elesh to hand size. I finally reanimate her but am at 6 life. I lose to double lightning bolt.
    Goyfs in this game and most others were 5/6, and sometimes even 6/7. Ugly stuff. I am always trying to stay out of bolt range.

R10 Eldrazi Stompy (little eldrazi) 2-1
    G1: he plays matter reshaper and passes. Island ponder from my side. I FoW a chalice on 1 and then reanimate Griselbrand t2 or 3.
    G2 I mull to 5. I get leylined into TKS t2. Not much to see here.
    G3 I had the win on board, in front of me, and spaced. Nothing but exhaustion…I mentioned it at the beginning of the report. Sigh.
    Opponent starts with 2 leylines in play, which I end up bouncing with an echoing truth. I am at 8, facing a TKS, when I get a griselbrand into play. My opponent draws a karakas, bounces and swings, I do not block with hapless and drop to 4. I cantrip into a grave titan. This time I block with hapless and MY BRAIN DIED ON ME and I pitched griselbrand instead of titan. I then exhume my griselbrand, staring down a Karakas. My opponent was at 10 because of ancient tomb, had an empty hand, with just a karakas, tks, and a factory plus eye of ugin in play. I laughed, and was happy it was over. I think it was well over 10 hours of magic straight, with quick snacks / water in between.
    My final record should have been 7-3. If I were not so new to the deck though, maybe even 8-2.

This deck is a blast to play – I like UB so much that it is actually hard for me to go back to the other decks I used to play. I just don’t have the interest.
    That’s all. Go UB!

FNM report from the night before
    This was a rough night. I was fairly unsure of my list, and it seemed like at least half of the room was on delver, and half of them on UB Shadow, which I dodged but still got destroyed. I definitely made some play mistakes. I’ll keep this short as it wasn’t eventful and I was still pretty uncertain of this list.

R1 – BUG control / delver (0-2)
    Mulled to 6, kept a petal into ponder. Saw a t2 bitterblossom, followed by a hymn, tarmo and friends. I lost to double tarmo, two tokens, and a jitte. I finally got grisel on board and it was close but too late.
    G2 I mulled to 6, kept a usea / petal / collected / Grisel, reanimate, force. I lost to double force followed up by two tarmogoyfs.
    R2 – Grixis Delver (1-2)
    I went for it t1 in the dark, opp had no counter. I griseled him.
    G2 I died to Hymn + TNN + Delver. I went for grave titan, should have went for Elesh though. I otherwise would have had this game. G3 I got overwhelmed by gy hate and delvered out. The discard is very useful post board.
    R3 – RUG Delver (1-2)
    G1 I went for it and got it, nothing of note here.
    G2 I kept a 1 lander and didn’t see another land for 8 turns. It happens.
    G3 I eventually got Grisel into play but I died to 3 bolts and being too low to draw. Elderscale wurm would have been great here.
    I definitely misplayed, this could have been 2-1 or 3-0. It was a good learning experience and helped me decided what I wanted to do the next day at the big tournament though, so I was happy with it in the end.

So the new Ravnica mechanics have been revealed!

The Dimir mechanic is Surveil. This is basically scry but instead of putting cards at the bottom of the library they go to the GY.
    Would a Surveil version of Preordain be a boon to the deck? U, sorcery, Surveil 2 draw 1. At first glance it feels like it has a place in UB reanimator.

The Izzet mechanic is Jump-Start. This keyword is found on instants and sorceries only. Basically if a Jump-Start card is in your GY, you can cast it again by discarding a card and paying the mana for the Jump-Start spell.
    Utility spells that can double as discard outlets sound good to me!

It feels like an izzet charm effect is better. Not being able to discard from hand makes it pretty unlikely we'll be able to send something worthwhile down the yard but it's definitely interesting.

It seems we'll have to wait for some spoilers. But surveil version of brainstorm would be nice :P

A Surveil version of Preordain could maybe take the place of Ponder, but Thoughtscour is already a card we don’t use so it’s hard to say if we would use the upgrade. The Jumpstart ability could potentially be okay as a bin-from-hand effect depending what the card text is but again it’s heavily “wait and see”.

Storm Trooper
    Jun 2012
    Bremen, Germany

Hey guys, I played a straight UB Version with Petals and Dazes to a 3-1 finish at my LGS.

I took Nimkee's list from a few posts ago and modified a few slots. I played -1 Grave Titan and +1 Chancellor of the Annex maindeck. In the Sideboard I shaved -1 Collective Brutality and -1 Back to Basics and added +1 Grave Titan and +1 Pithing Needle.

I played those opponents:

Round 1, Win, OTD, 2:1 against LED Dredge
    G1: He destroyed my hand with therapies and I didn't draw any gas.
    G2: I reanimated a Griselbrand, drew some cards, countered everything he played and finished with an Elesh Norn.
    G3: Had a Chancellor to blank his T1 Discard, then made a T1 Elesh Norn.

Round 2, Lose, OTP, 1:2 against UB Shadow
    G1: I had Chancellor but no fast action. He played a preordain into the trigger and reanimated a cycled Street Wraith. My only options were reanimating a Chancellor, which put me to 11 life vs his 13 life. I could force a Death's Shadow (luckily) and win the beatdown race.
    G2: I won a big counter war over exhuming a Tidespout Tyrant, but had no cards left. He drew, grinned, and Snuffed the Tyrant Out. His only out apparently, as he mentioned afterwards. I died shortly after.
    G3: This time I lost a counterwar over Exhuming a Chancellor. He then proceeded to reanimate the Chancellor himself. Doh.

Round 3, Win, OTD, 2:0 against GW Enchantress
    G1: I had Turn 2 Entomb + Reanimate and made a Griselbrand. He had a Karakas in his opener and bounced the Grizzy but I drew 7 cards and made a Chancellor after that. He died to the Chancellor beats.
    G2: I could reanimate a Tidespout Tyrant. He had a Karakas again, so I had to win with non-legends. I could bounce some Enchantress Presence's to slow him down. He found an Oblivion Ring but I could Show and Tell a Chancellor after that, which sealed the game.

Round 4, Win, OTP, 2:0 against Grixis Control
    G1: I made my thing. Made a Grizzy, made a Tidespout shortly after, forced an Edict and Dazed a Jace.
    G2: We played draw - go for a few turns. I could amass 3 Lands and 1 Petal, then cast Show and Tell, with Flusterstorm backup, but he Flustered back. We had some uninteractive turns in which I managed to collect 2x Entomb and 2x Exhume. I then decided to go for it, play Entomb for Grave Titan (I expected some sort of removal) and followed with Exhume. He responded with Surgical Extraction which resolved. I then Entombed for Griselbrand and led the Exhume resolve afterwards. Problem was, in the meantime he had 2 Strixes and I boarded out my Elesh (stupid...). I then went for Tidespout Tyrant which brought me down to 4 life. I feared his Bolts and had no gas left. Fortunately I drew into Brainstorm and then into Petal and Ponder. I bounced his board and attacked for lethal.

My thoughts after the small tournament: I'm not sure the Chancellor is worth it. Even with a Petal-Build my opening hands are not that fast and my opponents can easily play around him. Then again he is a Karakas-proof Body. It was nice to so much flesh to discard with my Careful Studies, but ultimately I think the Chancellors are not worth it. Being straight UB was a good decision, because the manabase is fairly safe against Wasteland, Blood Moon and Back to Basics. I didn't miss Abrupt Decay as a sideboard option.

I sorta felt the same as you, and plan on testing out three next time around. I had a lot of similar situations as you below - I've left the games where Chancellor seemed to make a difference. I actually missed two of my own triggers in the bigger tournament. I guess you have to ask what you would put in place of the Chancellor. This is sort of unrelated, but I decided to give BR a try tonight. Having 4 Chancellor felt really good and stopped a number of things. FoW, Chalice, and a spell pierce. I liked the idea of upping the Chancellor to 3 or 4 with an all in faster build, with 4 petals for instance. Playing BR made me miss UB =)

Locally I think more people (definitely not all though) are looking at Faerie Macabre. If you expect a lot of that, switching it up from week to week helps. There are mostly a bunch of blue decks plus a couple stompy players in our meta so Chancellor stopping that turn 1 discard or chalice feels nice, and there is no real card disadvantage to it like daze or fow. I do like them but am always intrigued by other options, something sexier. Chancellor does make those early turn dazes better too. What are you thinking of replacing the Chancellors with?

Quote Originally Posted by JanoschEausH View Post
    Hey guys, I played a straight UB Version with Petals and Dazes to a 3-1 finish at my LGS.

I took Nimkee's list from a few posts ago and modified a few slots. I played -1 Grave Titan and +1 Chancellor of the Annex maindeck. In the Sideboard I shaved -1 Collective Brutality and -1 Back to Basics and added +1 Grave Titan and +1 Pithing Needle.

G1: I had Chancellor but no fast action. He played a preordain into the trigger and reanimated a cycled Street Wraith. My only options were reanimating a Chancellor, which put me to 11 life vs his 13 life. I could force a Death's Shadow (luckily) and win the beatdown race.

G3: This time I lost a counterwar over Exhuming a Chancellor. He then proceeded to reanimate the Chancellor himself. Doh.

G1: I had Turn 2 Entomb + Reanimate and made a Griselbrand. He had a Karakas in his opener and bounced the Grizzy but I drew 7 cards and made a Chancellor after that. He died to the Chancellor beats.
    G2: I could reanimate a Tidespout Tyrant. He had a Karakas again, so I had to win with non-legends. I could bounce some Enchantress Presence's to slow him down. He found an Oblivion Ring but I could Show and Tell a Chancellor after that, which sealed the game.

My thoughts after the small tournament: I'm not sure the Chancellor is worth it. Even with a Petal-Build my opening hands are not that fast and my opponents can easily play around him. Then again he is a Karakas-proof Body. It was nice to so much flesh to discard with my Careful Studies, but ultimately I think the Chancellors are not worth it. Being straight UB was a good decision, because the manabase is fairly safe against Wasteland, Blood Moon and Back to Basics. I didn't miss Abrupt Decay as a sideboard option.

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Quote Originally Posted by JanoschEausH View Post

I played those opponents:

Round 1, Win, OTD, 2:1 against LED Dredge
    G1: He destroyed my hand with therapies and I didn't draw any gas.
    G2: I reanimated a Griselbrand, drew some cards, countered everything he played and finished with an Elesh Norn.

G2: I won a big counter war over exhuming a Tidespout Tyrant, but had no cards left. He drew, grinned, and Snuffed the Tyrant Out. His only out apparently, as he mentioned afterwards. I died shortly after.

Round 3, Win, OTD, 2:0 against GW Enchantress

G1: I made my thing. Made a Grizzy, made a Tidespout shortly after, forced an Edict and Dazed a Jace.
    G2: We played draw - go for a few turns. I could amass 3 Lands and 1 Petal, then cast Show and Tell, with Flusterstorm backup, but he Flustered back. We had some uninteractive turns in which I managed to collect 2x Entomb and 2x Exhume. I then decided to go for it, play Entomb for Grave Titan (I expected some sort of removal) and followed with Exhume. He responded with Surgical Extraction which resolved. I then Entombed for Griselbrand and led the Exhume resolve afterwards. Problem was, in the meantime he had 2 Strixes and I boarded out my Elesh (stupid...). I then went for Tidespout Tyrant which brought me down to 4 life. I feared his Bolts and had no gas left. Fortunately I drew into Brainstorm and then into Petal and Ponder. I bounced his board and attacked for lethal.

I've never liked Chancellor in UB, as it is fairly easy to answer for other decks past t2. Same reason why Sire of Insanity got cut. About straight UB, I don't think anyone would tap out or leave moon or b2b post board. I always thought that Decay was a must for the simple reason that it catches almost everything and it's UN-FUCKING-COUNTERABLE, which means that you can sculpt your gameplan against the hate much more easier, since you know you won't have to get into a permission war against your answer. You don't have a gorillion of answers like miracles, because you don't want to dilute your deck, so you might as well make sure they hit every time.

Which brings us to the next point in discussion: New card spoiled;

Assassin's Trophy
    BG, instant
    Destroy target permanent an opponent controls. It's controller may search for a basic land and put it i to play.

In the bad side, BG decks which usually had a lot of trouble taking the big dude off the table now got it much easier. I'll gladly make this trade over having pesky the pesky 1/2 again on the format, though :)

On the good side, this is the first true catch-all card that might help us, since it can take down everything, INCLUDING a KARAKAS, which is huge. On the bad side it's not uncounterable, which is the most alluring characteristic of decay. Might end up playing this, having a card that can deal with jace/containment priest/karakas is extremely nice, specially for us folks in the slow, non-petal builds.

I see this card outright replacing Decay for us personally, though time will tell obviously. Blue decks that could counter it typically run Surgical over permanent-based hate, plus if they could counter Decay there’s a decent chance they were countering our combo piece anyway a significant portion of the time. This card answers Leyline, RiP, Cage, Priest, Chalice on 1, Liliana of the Veil, Jace, Bridge, Karakas, Maze, Glacial Chasm, and on and on. Purely from a versatility standpoint this card hits every permanent we want while not taking up huge numbers of sideboard slots.

Also it sucks this card can hit a few of our creatures, but then Grisel draws first, it doesn’t hit Iona or Inkwell, Elesh has done some damage before leaving...and it’s “destroy” so we will often just Reanimate again. Hopefully it’s net positive. Hopefully.

Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

I agree on Assassin's Trophy working better for us than Abrupt Decay. Countermagic proof was nice as fire-and-forget, but not hitting Leyline or Jace or Karakas is a hugely favorable trade for us. While color tight, it serves to replace Abrupt Decay, Pithing Needle & Echoing Truth in a lot of sideboards. I'll be testing 4.

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Ok now this looks good:

Mission Briefing
    Instant
    UU
    Surveil 2, Then choose an instant or sorcery card from your graveyard. You may play that card this turn. If it would go anywhere, exile it instead.

So looks like a nice package. Enabler + Buyback a reanimation spell? At instant speed? Me likey :)

Thread Information