Page 5 of 133 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck]BUx Reanimator

Re: [DTB] Reanimator

How well did the singleton Personal Tutor treat you? Worth the loss of disruption from a Thoughtseize slot?
    Back to MTG after a 10 year hiatus

Currently playing:
    Reanimator
    Reanimator Tendrils/TinFins
    Manaless Dredge

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Re: [DTB] Reanimator

Quote Originally Posted by roflwaffles View Post
    How well did the singleton Personal Tutor treat you? Worth the loss of disruption from a Thoughtseize slot?
    Personal Tutor was excellent and I've never missed the additional discard, as it basically conts as a discard as well. Reanimator is a combo deck, and a quite fast one, so the most of the time I don't want to lose a turn casting thoughtseize or duress when I can prepare the combo.

The matchups against which I want to duress before going for the combo are against control (because I want to make sure they don't have counters) and against faster or equal combo decks (like belcher, TES or Hypergenesis). Against control decks I can personal tutor for discard and safely wait a turn since they are not fast, while against some combo decks is better to have discard immediately.

However Personal tutor finds you literally any combo piece apart entomb, helps you finding hate after side (massacre, S&T) and can even be used to fetch a ponder if you are in a bad situation.
    On top of that it's blue ;)

Admittedly if you are in top deck mode and have only a turn it's awful, but that's the same for any discard.

I defenitely prefer the flexibility it offers over the advantage the discard gives against some combo decks.

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Re: [Deck] Reanimator

How is the Canadian thresh matchup? What is the plan for the side?
    I'm planning to bring this deck to a 40 people event and, since I don't have experience with the RUG matchup I would like some advices.

Thank you in advance!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kingtk3 View Post
    How is the Canadian thresh matchup? What is the plan for the side?
    I'm planning to bring this deck to a 40 people event and, since I don't have experience with the RUG matchup I would like some advices.

Thank you in advance!!!
    Game 1 is pretty close, with Reanimator probably being a slight favorite. Can Thresh usually has no maindeck graveyard hate (although some versions run GSZ for Scavenging Ooze, but you don't see a whole lot of DRS). They do have a lot of countermagic. Make sure that you don't walk into Daze and also be aware of Spell Pierce if they have a mana open. They've got a fairly slow clock, especially if they can't stick a turn one Delver, so you can often wait a turn to go off so that you can pay for Daze, etc.

Games 2 and 3 get trickier. If they have significant graveyard hate in their sideboard, you become an underdog in this matchup. You might consider bringing in any additional countermagic from your sideboard. Bounce might help as well.
    I see more than others do because I know where to look.

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Game 1 is pretty close, with Reanimator probably being a slight favorite. Can Thresh usually has no maindeck graveyard hate (although some versions run GSZ for Scavenging Ooze, but you don't see a whole lot of DRS). They do have a lot of countermagic. Make sure that you don't walk into Daze and also be aware of Spell Pierce if they have a mana open. They've got a fairly slow clock, especially if they can't stick a turn one Delver, so you can often wait a turn to go off so that you can pay for Daze, etc.

Games 2 and 3 get trickier. If they have significant graveyard hate in their sideboard, you become an underdog in this matchup. You might consider bringing in any additional countermagic from your sideboard. Bounce might help as well.
    So Game1 is about playing around their taxing, since their only hard counter is force of will, and that much I've figuered out.

My problem is what to side in game2/3. Consider that at the moment my side is

3 Pithing Needle
    1 empyreal archangel
    1 blazing archon
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Misdirection
    1 echoing truth
    1 Wipe Away
    2 Massacre
    2 Show and Tell

but I'm open to suggestion (the only things I wouldn't change are the needles), I have a couple of considerations:
    • if they bring in grave hate it should be logic for us to bring in more show and tell, but in that way it becomes more difficult to play around daze and spell pierce
    • so it may be wise to bring in additional countermagic, although flustestorm is not as good in protecting our spell than it is in countering opposing bombs and while misdirection eats card from hand as fow it may be better since it can misdirect surgical too

So let's say I opt for
    • +2 Misdirections
    • +2 flusterstorms (their still counters after all)
    • +1 empyrial archangel (seems better than Iona but I may be wrong)
    • -2 show and tell (difficult to cast through their tax)
    • -1 personal tutor (I don't want more card disadvantage in this matchup)
    • -1 iona
    • -1 animate dead (exhume is live against surgical with 2 creatures in the grave)

What do you think?

I may include more cards in the side but I wouldn't know what to side out: I found that I'm not confortable in siding out more than 4-5 cards since after that I feel that the deck become too diluted.

You also need to ask yourself, "What graveyard hate is CAN Thresh most likely to play in its sideboard?" You won't see Rest in Peace or Leyline of the Void because they don't play white or black. You will most likely see Grafdigger's Cage, Relic of Progenitus, or Tormod's Crypt (or perhaps a combination of these). The CAN Thresh decks that finished first and second at the most recent Legacy SCG both opted for Cage.

Cage is a very problematic card for Reanimator because it shuts down all your reanimate spells and is a continuing effect, not something that they sac to exile your graveyard one time. For this reason, I think that boarding out Show and Tell might be a mistake. It's nice to have an alternative way to get your fatties onto the battlefield. Wipe Away is also a strong answer if they landed a Cage because of split second. You bounce it at the end of their turn and then try to reanimate on your turn.
    I see more than others do because I know where to look.

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

I indeed forgot about cage...
    My main is

4 lotus petal
    4 underground sea
    2 island
    2 swamp
    4 polluted delta
    3 misty rainforest

4 entomb
    4 brainstorm
    4 reanimate
    4 careful study
    2 duress
    4 ponder
    1 personal tutor
    1 animate dead
    4 exhume
    2 show and tell
    4 force of will

1 elesh norn, grand cenobite
    3 griselbrand
    1 tidespout tyrant
    1 iona, shield of emeria
    1 Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur

SIDE
    3 Pithing Needle
    1 empyreal archangel
    1 blazing archon
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Misdirection
    1 echoing truth
    1 Wipe Away
    2 Massacre
    2 Show and Tell

In the side the only thing I consider stable are the needles and, to a less extent, S&T, while the least useful card I think is massacre (which i put in to deal with Thalia and D&T most of all). I indeed would feel better with an additional bounce, so maybe I can switch a massacre with a chain of vapor or an additional echoing truth: that would leave a single massacre to fetch with personal tutor.

In game 2, before knowing what my opponent could side, I would do the following changes
    • +2 misdirection
    • +2 echoing truth/chain of vapor
    • +1 blazing archon (better than empyrial on a second thought)
    • -1 personal tutor
    • -1 jin (it's blue and they could side in REB)
    • -1 animate dead
    • -2 careful study (card disadvantage and if they bring in cage or tormod's they are not synergic with S&T)

In G3 I would side accordingly if the play istant grave hate (surgical) swapping the bounces with flusterstorm.

What do you think? You would play a different side or make different choices?

May 2008
    Newtown, PA

I've decided to give this deck another try, since it's always been one of my favorite decks. Seeing it put up results despite Deathrite Shaman being ubiquitous was definitely sweet to see and inspired me to get back to casting Entombs.

I'm currently using the list that got 2nd at the Philly Open:

4 Griselbrand
    1 Tidespout Tyrant
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria

4 Entomb
    4 Careful Study

4 Reanimate
    4 Exhume
    1 Animate Dead
    2 Show and Tell

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder

4 Force of Will
    3 Thoughtseize

4 Lotus Petal
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Scalding Tarn
    4 Underground Sea
    2 Island
    2 Swamp

I've been impressed with it so far. The sideboard is where I'm having some difficulty. I really don't care much for [card]Crippling Fatigue[/card], but it does kill Thalia and Deathrite and is tutor-able by Entomb. I guess I'll run them.

Any ideas on [card]Karakas[/card] hate? With the new legend rule, we can no longer use our own Karakas to kill theirs. [card]Pithing Needle[/card] seems like a good catchall against Karakas, Deathrite, Liliana of the Veil, and other permanents that hurt our deck. Any other thoughts?

Dec 2009
    Newark, Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by Darksteel View Post
    I've decided to give this deck another try, since it's always been one of my favorite decks. Seeing it put up results despite Deathrite Shaman being ubiquitous was definitely sweet to see and inspired me to get back to casting Entombs.

I'm currently using the list that got 2nd at the Philly Open:

4 Griselbrand
    1 Tidespout Tyrant
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria

4 Entomb
    4 Careful Study

4 Reanimate
    4 Exhume
    1 Animate Dead
    2 Show and Tell

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder

4 Force of Will
    3 Thoughtseize

4 Lotus Petal
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Scalding Tarn
    4 Underground Sea
    2 Island
    2 Swamp

I've been impressed with it so far. The sideboard is where I'm having some difficulty. I really don't care much for [card]Crippling Fatigue[/card], but it does kill Thalia and Deathrite and is tutor-able by Entomb. I guess I'll run them.

Any ideas on [card]Karakas[/card] hate? With the new legend rule, we can no longer use our own Karakas to kill theirs. [card]Pithing Needle[/card] seems like a good catchall against Karakas, Deathrite, Liliana of the Veil, and other permanents that hurt our deck. Any other thoughts?
    Crippling Fatigue was slotted specifically for older versions of Deathblade (preGeist MD). If you run any, run 1. Do not run more than that, as they were/are largely unnecessary by the time I ran them as Deathblade had moved on. Should you see a resurgence of the DConf builds where Geist isn't MD, you might run 2.

Your plan against Karakas is the 4 Pithing Needles in your sideboard. Blade decks usually fold to Needle on Karakas and an animated Griselbrand with tight play, while Maverick usually wants you to Needle Karakas and animate either Griselbrand or (preferably) Iona on White. The latter is a much more difficult matchup than the former without practice. If you think the Flying Aces are showing up, get your games in now.

The third maindeck Show and Tell is better than Animate Dead right now. Cutting a reanimation spell sucks, but it turns on otherwise dead Abrupt Decays in a big way and saves a sideboard slot since you're now 3/1 instead of 2/2 on Show and Tell.

Some number of Scalding Tarn should actually be Bloodstained Mire. 2/1 either way. That was an oversight I made in Baltimore/Philly just because I'm used to playing base blue decks.

As always, Sideboards are tailored to metagames. I will say Blazing Archon has been overperforming for me lately out of the board, Blue Elemental Blasts have been solid though waning as Sneak and Show loses ground to Know and Tell, Wipe Away does work while Echoing Truth is only so-so, Massacre doesn't seem awful as Teeg isn't normally a high priority hate bear against us out of the white decks, Flusterstorms have been excellent at keeping me far ahead of the other degenerate Underground Sea decks, and I'm currently testing Defense Grid in the board against things like RUG Delver. The 4 Needles and 4th Show and Tell are pretty much the locked in 5 slots, with 10 to tailor to your personal expectations and strengths/weaknesses as a player in your specific metagame.
    11th at SCG Baltimore - 6/02/2013
    2nd at SCG Philadelphia - 6/23/2013
    28th at SCG Worcester - 7/07/2013

Big question is with the changes to the legend rules is Karakas still worth running. You no longer can destroy opposing Karakas with your own so the reason to run it is to bounce legends in the reanimator mirror or against sneak and show. Seems that show and tell is moving more towards the Omniscience build with only 1 if any Emrakul main. Reanimator mirrors don't seem to be all that common either so leaning towards just cutting Karakas.

This is what I am looking at running with changes taking out the Karakas and taking out the Animate Dead for a Show and Tell

Acceleration (4)
    4 Lotus Petal

Creatures [7]
    4 Griselbrand
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria.
    1 Tidespout Tyrant

Dig (7)
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Ponder

Disruption (7)
    4 Force of Will
    3 Thoughtseize

Creature Dump (8)
    4 Careful Study
    4 Entomb

Reanimation (8+3 Show and Tell)
    4 Exhume
    4 Reanimate
    3 Show and Tell

Lands (16)
    2 Island
    2 Swamp
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Underground Sea
    2 Misty Rainforest
    1 Skalding Tarn (was Karakas)
    1 Verdant Catacombs

Sideboard (15)
    1 Blazing Archon (aggro solution)
    2 Engineered Explosives (cage, cheap creatures)
    2 Echoing Truth (catch all to bounce trouble permanents. maybe should be wipe away but this costs 2 and can bounce goblins vs storm)
    2 Flusterstorm (counter wars)
    4 Pithing Needle (karakas, maze, etc) [was 2 and a Karakas + the second Show and Tell]
    1 Show and Tell (dodge grave yard hate)
    1 Terrastodon (kills ensaring bridge, maze, etc)
    2 Vendilion Clique (clears counters and gives information, can not be spell peirced or fluster stormed)

Sideboard Choices
    1 Blazing Archon
    Show and tell Emrakul decks since it stops Emrakul from attacking and aggro decks with no removal like Goblins or Merfolk

2 Engineered Explosives
    Answers alot of hate because it all costs 2, 1, or 0. Deathrite Shaman, Cage, Relic, Spellbomb, Tormod's Crypt etc all killed by Explosives.
    Elves at 1 kills off Deathrite Shaman + alot of their elves.
    Miracles at 2 gets rid of counterbalance + Rest in Peace.
    Maverick at 2 kills Ooze, Goyf, Rest in Peace, Thalia.
    RUG at 0 kill tormods + flipped delver, 1 mongeese, unfliped delver, cage, lavamancer
    Sneak and Show kills Cage.
    Storm/ belcher bye bye Goblins

2 Echoing Truth
    Bounce for troublesome permanents. Added bonus can bounce all the Goblin Tokens vs Storm, Zombie Tokens vs Dredge and if there are multiple hate cards in play.

2 Flusterstorm
    Wins counter wars enough said.

4 Pithing Needle
    Your answer for Jace, Karakas, Liliana, Sensei's Divining Top, Sneak Attack and other problem permanents.

Show and Tell
    The alternative plan to by pass graveyard hate.

Terrastodon
    Your answer to Ensaring Bridge, Solitary Confinement etc.

Vendilion Clique
    Great vs control after board when the load up on Spell Snares and Flusterstorms since this can't be countered by those. Maybe should be defense grid like WorldSlayer suggested.

Possibles
    Defense Grid - versus counterspells might take vendilion clique's place.
    Misdirection - more counters not sure if can support more pitch counters.
    Surgical Extraction - Reanimator Mirrors + Dredge?? Fast Griselbrand/Elesh usually takes out dredge anyway. Reanimator Mirrors not that common.

@Dyvith
    Only 14 lands seem very greedy. I was taking more mulligans then I would like with 15 lands + 1 karakas and 4 petals.

@kingtk3
    Jin isn't worth running over Griselbrand. Slower clock, vulnerable to red blast and they have a window to kill him where with Griselbrand you can draw 7 in response to their kill spell.

How is Misdirection actually working out for you? Are there enough blue cards to support 6 pitch counters is my worry.

How much I really board out depends on the match up. Typically its something like 2-4 Careful Study, 0-1 Animate Dead 0-4 Reanimate, 0-4 Exhume, 0-4 Entomb, 0-2 creatures that are not relavent. Sometimes I board out 4-6 and on the other extreme I board in all 15 and take out all my reanimation spells in the Counter balance top with rest in peace match up. Show and Tells tend to get boarded in to fight graveyard hate.

RUG Tempo
    -2 Careful Study, -1 Tidespout Tyrant (gets pyroblasted), -1 exhume
    +1 Show and Tell, +2 Flusterstorm, 2 Engineered Explosives (yes it can get hit by stifle but it gets rid of cage, goose and possibly delver)

Maverick
    -2 Careful Study, -2 Exhume, -1 Ponder
    +2 Engineered Explosives, +3 Needle, +1 Show and Tell

Stoneblade
    +1 Show and Tell, +3 Needle, +2 Engineered Explosives,
    -2 Exhume, -2 Careful Study, -1 Entomb, -1 Reanimate,

@Worldslayer
    I been running into the same conclusion that Animate dead is not very good. I find myself boarding out the Animate Dead in most match ups anyway since it is pretty vulnerable to getting destroyed so cutting it sounds like a good idea.

Have to try Defense Grid that is a really good suggestion.

Defense Grid seems really poor in this deck, unlike Sneak-Show and Omni-Tell, we can't just win once Griselbrand is resolved, and once he is resolved our opponent can do whatever during their own turn and we can't answer it, sure drawing 7 is still huge, but Griselbrand does much worse without the ability to counter spells.

@Stryfo
    Worldslayer was saying Defense Grid is for decks like RUG Delver where they don't really have a good way of removing Griselbrand but lots of counters. The challenge is actually sticking Griselbrand. If they have the delver + 2 bolts or 3 bolts to kill Griselbrand oh well. I haven't seen to many Delver decks run Dismember. I agree with you it is not good versus decks that can remove Griselbrand but those decks tend to run less counters. It is something I will have to test.

Dec 2009
    Newark, Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by Kirika View Post
    @Stryfo
    Worldslayer was saying Defense Grid is for decks like RUG Delver where they don't really have a good way of removing Griselbrand but lots of counters. The challenge is actually sticking Griselbrand. If they have the delver + 2 bolts or 3 bolts to kill Griselbrand oh well. I haven't seen to many Delver decks run Dismember. I agree with you it is not good versus decks that can remove Griselbrand but those decks tend to run less counters. It is something I will have to test.
    Exactly for Delver/blue decks that can't beat a Griselbrand. All you have to do in the RUG matchup is actually resolve your spells. You very rarely have to counter theirs, because theirs are all terrible in comparison to ours.
    11th at SCG Baltimore - 6/02/2013
    2nd at SCG Philadelphia - 6/23/2013
    28th at SCG Worcester - 7/07/2013

Why does nobody play Gitaxian Probe? Its so good for your game plan and works even better game 2 and 3 to spot their SB cards. Is the fact that Thoughtseize hits creatures really wroth the 2 life loss? There are plenty pretty good alternatives for Thoughtseize out there, but a 0 mana cantrip that peeks your opponent is not replaceable.
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Gitaxian probe isn't used because it does exactly nothing to advance our strategy, thoughtseize gives information, takes an important card, and in a pinch (rarely) can be used as a discard outlet. Information is nice, but not 100% necessary, also, if you want to add gitaxian probe, you have to cut a card, what would you cut?

May 2008
    Newtown, PA

Right, so there's a Legacy 1K this weekend and I'm gonna take Reanimator, since I really want to play a Griselbrand deck and this is looking like the best one.

I didn't notice your sig at first, Worldslayer, but now I realize that you were the one who got 2nd at SCG Philly. My bad. :P

Anyway, I believe the metagame will certainly be varied at this 1K so I can't really pinpoint decks to sideboard against.

Here's what I have so far for the board:

1 Show and Tell (3 in the maindeck)
    4 Pithing Needle

Those are the guaranteed slots.

Here are the rest that I'm pretty sure I want to add:

2 Flusterstorm
    1 Blazing Archon (Over Inkwell)
    2 Echoing Truth
    2 Massacre

Which leaves 3 slots.

I like the idea of Terastodon that Kirika described for handling random silly things that fringe decks like MUD or something can throw at you. Engineered Explosives also seems sweet, or Defense Grid. I don't know how much RUG there will be, but I think there's probably going to be more Stoneblade-style fair decks than RUG ones.

I'm curious at what you guys take out in Game 2 against the fair decks. I was thinking Force of Will since it's card disadvantage, but it's really lame not having any responses for removal. The other cards seem too integral for the deck.

Went 50/50 at Star City Somerset. The biggest problem match ups seem to be Maverick and RUG Delver.

Maverick just has so many answers between Knight of the Reliquary getting Karakas and Maze of Ith. Swords to Plowshares. Linvala turning off your creature abilities like Griselbrand's draw 7. Scavenging Ooze. 4 Needles helps here. Engineered Explosives does work here and you can play it on 3 to kill Knight with a Lotus Petal.

RUG Delver is just a pain to resolve spells with Daze, Spell Peirce, Force Stifle while they have a decent clock with Delver and Goyf. I haven't actually drawn a Defense Grid when playing RUG Delver will need to find a RUG Delver player to playtest with.

Merfolk is similar annoying like delver but fewer counters with a faster clock and card advantage from standstills.

Dredge really is a race if you can get Elesh Norn out fast enough without having to use an Exhume which gives them a large Grave Troll. They can actually out race a turn 1 Griselbrand. :(

BUG really depends on the build but most aren't running Spell Peirce or Fluster storm because they are terrible to Cascade into so they have Shaman, discard and forces. Baleful Strix can wall you and Liliana is also annoying but not everyone runs Lilianas. Iona on black locks out Strix, Liliana and Pulse just have to watch out for Jace.

Omni Tell is probably your best match up. Iona on blue just wins. They can't show and tell for risk of you dropping an Iona on blue or a Griselbrand to draw into counters.

@Darksteel
    My board at Starcity Sommerset was
    1 Show and Tell
    4 Pithing needle
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Blazing Archon
    1 Terastodon
    2 Wipe away
    2 Engineered Explosives
    2 Defense Grid

I ended up boarding in every card though out the 10 rounds.

I like Terastodon as the catch all that can blow up trouble permanents.

The uncounterability of Wipe Away is more relavent then being able to bounce multiple things of the same name of Echoing Truth if you are running Engineered Explosives.

How did you like Massacre? I haven't actually tried it because I prefer Engineered Explosives in that slot.

Engineered Explosives does work against alot of decks.

Defense Grid seems like its only for the Rug Delver and Merfolk Match ups so if you don't see those decks you can skip it.

I don't usually board out Force of Will even against fair decks as you need some way of protecting your creatures if your opponent has a way to kill them or force your spells through counters. I usually start with boarding out 2 Careful Study and 2 Reanimation Spells and maybe a creature that is not very good in a match up and go from there boarding out more reanimation / binning spells if I expect more hate and sometimes going fully to the Show and Tell plan. Sometimes board out a Ponder.

My brother likes Inkwell against control. Its good if you can get it out fast but it isn't too good at winning races if they get a threat out first.

May 2008
    Newtown, PA

Cool, thanks for the advice!

Here's what I'm going to run at the tournament later today:

4 Griselbrand
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Tidespout Tyrant

4 Entomb
    4 Careful Study
    4 Reanimate
    4 Exhume
    3 Show and Tell

4 Force of Will
    3 Thoughtseize

4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm

4 Lotus Petal

4 Polluted Delta
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Scalding Tarn
    4 Underground Sea
    2 Island
    2 Swamp

And here's the sideboard, based off of Kirika's since I agree with the choices:

4 Pithing Needle
    1 Show and Tell
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Blazing Archon
    1 Terastodon
    2 Engineered Explosives/Massacre
    2 Wipe Away
    2 Spell Pierce/Defense Grid

Massacre being free is great against the Thalia decks, since it kills her and other dorks for just 1 mana. It's nice to have against the Death and Taxes decks and can randomly help with things like Lingering Souls. Of course, EE does the same things but is better against the non-Plains decks. I'm honestly not sure which one to run, since I'm not entirely sure of the metagame. Explosive's versatility is leaning me a bit more in that direction, though.

I dunno how much RUG there'll be, so I may just run Spell Pierce over Grid.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I also bring in Massacre against SFM/Dark Confidant decks, since they can sometimes sit behind a counterwall or knock out your early plays with discard. The newer iterations may also run DRS so having more cheap/free removal is a big bonus. I run them in the SB of Tin Fins, and effectively I run into the same issues you guys are describing. I'm also not sure how useful Gaddock Teeg is to keep in vs any flavor of Reanimator, so there's not much worry on that front as well.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

May 2008
    Newtown, PA

I ended up going with the Massacres instead of the EEs, mainly because of Massacre being free to cast.

I managed to get Top 4 in the tournament as well, though I attribute it mostly to lucky matchups, barring round 3:

Round 1: Jund (Win 2-0):

Game One: He mulled to 6 and I managed to Thoughtseize away his Dark Confidant turn one, leaving him with just 5 lands. I got ol' Grizz out next turn and won promptly after that, countering his Liliana of the Veil.

Game Two: I get the turn one Thoughtseize again, and he casts Surgical Extraction on my Marsh Flats in response to get some value out of it. Unfortunately, I was only running one so it was fairly useless. I got his Liliana of the Veil. Next turn, I get Griselbrand out and eventually get a Pithing Needle for future Lilianas and get there pretty quick.

Round 2: Omni-Tell (Win 2-1):

Game One: I couldn't get many combo pieces despite cantripping a lot, drawing pretty much only lands. I lost without playing any sort of cards that would signify I was Reanimator. He told me after the round that he put me on Storm. I had the Show and Tell in my hand, but I saw an Emrakul in his hand after Thoughtseize so I really couldn't play it, since I didn't even see a Griselbrand.

Game Two: He kept a slower hand for the deck, assuming that I was on Storm (Many counters). Thanks to Thoughtseize and Force of Will, as well as redundancy and his lack of graveyard hate, I manage to get out Iona and the game was over.

Game Three: He kept a land with City of Traitors as his only land, hoping his Gitaxian Probe would get him there. Sadly it didn't, and Iona on blue came out shortly after and got me the win.

Round 3: URb Young Pyromancer (Loss 0-2):

Game One: I Thoughtseize away a Delver of Secrets, but I have no answer for his Young Pyromancer which makes him quite a few tokens. He has the Force of Will for my Entomb. I do manage to get out Griselbrand, but he has Grim Lavamancer plus Dismember to take him out and I lose promptly afterward.

Game Two: He has Flusterstorm, Young Pyromancer, and three Cabal Therapies. My Entomb gets countered and I don't see any action, plus my hand gets ripped apart and I die shortly afterward to his Elementals.

Round 4: Junk Hexmage/Dark Depths (Win 2-0):

Game One: I get out the turn one Griselbrand with Entomb and Reanimate, and I get the Force of Will for his Vampire Hexmage to stop him from getting Marit Lage. Elesh Norn comes out as well and I kill him shortly afterward.

Game Two: Despite getting hit by multiple discard spells (Duress into Hymn into Liliana of the Veil) I manage to get out Griselbrand thanks to Lotus Petal. I get the Pithing Needle for Liliana of the Veil, and let him make his Marit Lage token, only to bounce it with Tidespout Tyrant. I start bouncing his permanents and the game is over pretty soon.

Round 5: Friend scooped to me because I got paired down and he had pretty much no chance of making Top 8. Regardless, he was on Stoneblade which isn't that bad of a matchup, right?

Round 6: ID into top 8. It's my friend Jon who's on Death and Taxes (And got 2nd at SCG Somerset). We play for fun and I actually won best 2 out of 3. Tidespout Tyrant is insane.

Top 8 Round 1: Stoneblade

Game One: This game ended up being pretty long. I get out a quick Griselbrand, and draw a casual 14 cards when he gets Swords to Plowshare'd, but fail to hit a Force of Will. In fact I drew like, all lands and no reanimation spells which was pretty lame. He gets down Bitterblossom and starts making Faerie Rogues to block. I get Elesh Norn, but she also ends up getting StP'd thanks to Snapcaster Mage. He never hits his second blue source for his Jace, and I manage to get out Griselbrand, Tidespout, and Iona on Blue to his tokens, Mutavault, Restoration Angel, and Stoneforge. He eventually concedes, though it was probably premature on his part.

Game Two: He gets out Bitterblossom, but I manage to take his Force of Will with my Thoughtseize. From there, I reanimate Griselbrand with no trouble and have the Massacre when he plays his Stoneforge Mystic. I then get out Elesh Norn and the game's pretty much over.

The rest of the Top 4 and I ended up splitting the $800 in store credit four ways. I used mine to get an Underground Sea for EDH, so that was pretty sweet.

Overall, it was a good day and I know that lucky matchups were a factor for sure, but the deck is still awesome as hell and I'm glad I decided to play it.

Thanks, guys, for all of the advice. It really helped. (:

Thread Information