//Sideboard

4 Pithing Needle

4 Show and Tell

4 Flusterstorm

2 City of Tratiors

1 Angel of Despair

[/deck]

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Dec 2011
    USA

Re: [Deck] Reanimator

Dustin Penn 3rd Place of 302 at StarCityGames.com Legacy Open on 8/4/2013

Creatures (7)
    1 Tidespout Tyrant
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    4 Griselbrand
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    Lands (17)
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    3 Marsh Flats
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Underground Sea
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    Spells (36)
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Animate Dead
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Daze
    4 Entomb
    4 Force of Will
    4 Careful Study
    4 Exhume
    1 Ponder
    4 Reanimate
    2 Show and Tell
    2 Thoughtseize

Sideboard
    4 Pithing Needle
    1 Angel of Despair
    2 Chain of Vapor
    1 Flusterstorm
    2 Misdirection
    1 Surgical Extraction
    2 Show and Tell
    2 Thoughtseize

After the semifinals match I asked if he visited The Source, & told him he'd get noted on the reanimator archetype for the top 8 finish like all the others.
    Primary legacy deck High Tide primer

So, as a relatively new pilot to the reanimator archetype, I've been going even with the deck at my local lgs. I'm feeling a splash of hate from omnitell's show and tell. A lot of people are boarding venser's, o-ring, etc. Is there an alternative to show and tell?

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Given the high count of sorceries and instants some players tried to side in delver of secrets, but I've never tried it myself.

In G 2 and 3 we have two lines of play: reanimating and S&T. That leads the opponenent to choose what hate to play, or if both to have the right one at the right moment which is not a simple task. I often find that I can play around the opponent hate, and if I'm scared of opponent removal I side in a shroud guy (usually empyrial).
    Ignorance is strength

Looks like recent top lists have been running more lands with 17 as opposed to 15. 15 I think is a bit to low making for mulliganing more often then I would like. Currently running 16 lands and 4 petals and that seems about right. You don't want too many lands to flood out but you don't want to have no lands and have to take a mulligan. Reanimator actually mulligans fairly well but you still don't want to be land light. What do other people think on the Land count.

Other question is are 2 Daze worth running over the 3rd Thoughtseize and the 3rd of 4th Ponder?

My opinion on Daze is its great if your opponent doesn't know you have it or on turn 1-2 but quickly loses value after that. Daze can help you resolve spells if you go off quickly on the first few turns but it usually doesn't save your Griselbrand from getting Swords to Plowshares. Almost always gets sideboarded out when I did run Daze.

Thoughtseizes are good to get information and discard their biggest threat or in a pinch you can discard your own creature to reanimate. 3 has been a good number of them since you want to see one but don't really want to see two or more because the life loss can be pretty relevant. Ponder helps you dig for the combo if you don't have it or for protection so is nice to have.

@Koby
    Will have to test out Massacre but I do really like Engineered Explosives as a catch all which just happens to kill small creatures pretty well. Massacre is free but Explosives gets rid of things like Chalice on 1, Deathrite Shaman, Ground Seal, Pithing Needle on Griselbrand, Rest in Peace.

@clashed
    Show and Tell is the back up plan if they have graveyard hate. A shroud creature like Inkwell Leviathan or Empyrical Archangel might be good to add to the sideboard if your opponents are playing many Oblivion Rings or Vensers.

@knightk3
    What match ups would you want to sideboard in Delver of Secrets? Seems fragile and not what you want to be doing since the whole game plan is to cheat big creature into play.

How much removal issues have you run into that you sideboard Empyrial Archangel? Griselbrand to draw into Force of Will or Iona on color of their removal are decent answers to removal. I can see it against Maverick but if they get out more than 8 power they can just kill it that way.

EDH | Legacy
    Jul 2010
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by Kirika View Post
    Looks like recent top lists have been running more lands with 17 as opposed to 15. 15 I think is a bit to low making for mulliganing more often then I would like. Currently running 16 lands and 4 petals and that seems about right. You don't want too many lands to flood out but you don't want to have no lands and have to take a mulligan. Reanimator actually mulligans fairly well but you still don't want to be land light. What do other people think on the Land count.

Other question is are 2 Daze worth running over the 3rd Thoughtseize and the 3rd of 4th Ponder?

My opinion on Daze is its great if your opponent doesn't know you have it or on turn 1-2 but quickly loses value after that. Daze can help you resolve spells if you go off quickly on the first few turns but it usually doesn't save your Griselbrand from getting Swords to Plowshares. Almost always gets sideboarded out when I did run Daze.

Thoughtseizes are good to get information and discard their biggest threat or in a pinch you can discard your own creature to reanimate. 3 has been a good number of them since you want to see one but don't really want to see two or more because the life loss can be pretty relevant. Ponder helps you dig for the combo if you don't have it or for protection so is nice to have.

@Koby
    Will have to test out Massacre but I do really like Engineered Explosives as a catch all which just happens to kill small creatures pretty well. Massacre is free but Explosives gets rid of things like Chalice on 1, Deathrite Shaman, Ground Seal, Pithing Needle on Griselbrand, Rest in Peace.

@clashed
    Show and Tell is the back up plan if they have graveyard hate. A shroud creature like Inkwell Leviathan or Empyrical Archangel might be good to add to the sideboard if your opponents are playing many Oblivion Rings or Vensers.

@knightk3
    What match ups would you want to sideboard in Delver of Secrets? Seems fragile and not what you want to be doing since the whole game plan is to cheat big creature into play.

How much removal issues have you run into that you sideboard Empyrial Archangel? Griselbrand to draw into Force of Will or Iona on color of their removal are decent answers to removal. I can see it against Maverick but if they get out more than 8 power they can just kill it that way.
    anybody tested "free" counter spells to replace Daze, for example;
    Foil

due to the draw of Griselbrand, 7 cards will usually net you a free counter

This nets you a discard (Big Fatty) and island (we don't have many of these though sadly)
    Before drawing 7, it can be used aggressively
    After drawing 7, it can be used as extra protection

I really hate Daze even with the speed on T1 and T2 and just throwing some ideas

Legacy decks
    The Reanimator

EDH decks
    The Mimeoplasm || Toolbox Reanimation Combo
    Doran, the Siege Tower || Tribal Aggro Control
    Sedris, The Traitor King || Budget Reanimation Aggro
    Marrow Gnawer || Relentless Rats Aggro Combo
    Olivia Voldaren || Aggro Control
    Gaddock Teeg || Support Combo Aggro
    Cromat || Hypergenesis Combo

Jun 2011
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by jcsy View Post
    anybody tested "free" counter spells to replace Daze, for example;
    Foil

due to the draw of Griselbrand, 7 cards will usually net you a free counter

This nets you a discard (Big Fatty) and island (we don't have many of these though sadly)
    Before drawing 7, it can be used aggressively
    After drawing 7, it can be used as extra protection

I really hate Daze even with the speed on T1 and T2 and just throwing some ideas

I have completely cut daze from list and haven't looked back. I am not sure about Foil though, it seems a little too conditional and is a little too steep to play for free. Have you thought about main decking a misdirection instead?

EDH | Legacy
    Jul 2010
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by Rampart View Post
    I have completely cut daze from list and haven't looked back. I am not sure about Foil though, it seems a little too conditional and is a little too steep to play for free. Have you thought about main decking a misdirection instead?
    misdirection might just be a diversion spell, rather than a hard counter

i have them but havent tried them to see how well they perform, Misdirection

Legacy decks
    The Reanimator

EDH decks
    The Mimeoplasm || Toolbox Reanimation Combo
    Doran, the Siege Tower || Tribal Aggro Control
    Sedris, The Traitor King || Budget Reanimation Aggro
    Marrow Gnawer || Relentless Rats Aggro Combo
    Olivia Voldaren || Aggro Control
    Gaddock Teeg || Support Combo Aggro
    Cromat || Hypergenesis Combo

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

You.... you hate Daze..... what is wrong with you, my friend. Daze is one of this deck's biggest strengths! Comboing fast with 8 live counters. How can you hate Daze, I wonder? One of us might be playing the deck in a wrong way, to be honest.

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Kirika View Post
    @knightk3

As I said, I've never tested delver in reanimator but I've seen someone playing in their side, so I can't tell you in what matchup actually matters.

Regarding archangel: griselbrand doesn't always find you a fow while iona may be raced if you reanimated her with reanimate and doesn't prevent multiple color removal (StP and Jace for example). Archangel solves these problems.

I actually don't play dazes since I'm running thougthseizes and personal tutor, but I was planning to test them since only 4 fow seems light on the counter side, maybe in a split with thoughtseize.
    Ignorance is strength

Dec 2009
    Newark, Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    You.... you hate Daze..... what is wrong with you, my friend. Daze is one of this deck's biggest strengths! Comboing fast with 8 live counters. How can you hate Daze, I wonder? One of us might be playing the deck in a wrong way, to be honest.

Greetings

Not so sure. 0 Daze has been treating me pretty well so far.

Now if the meta ever becomes like 175% RUG Delver again and causes us to want more free early interaction, we'll talk. Briefly.

Also, guys: despite my pretty abyssal performance in Baltimore, I did have something to (re?)share with the class:

Grave Titan has been doing a LOT of work for me, and has made my game 1 versus Karakas decks miles better.

Thought I'd pass it along to anyone still on The Graveyard Shift.
    11th at SCG Baltimore - 6/02/2013
    2nd at SCG Philadelphia - 6/23/2013
    28th at SCG Worcester - 7/07/2013

May 2012
    New Jersey

Hey,

I'm new to this deck, so bear with me if these are dumb questions. Is there a reason no one plays It That Betrays somewhere in their 75? A turn one or two 11 doesn't seem too bad. Also, same question for empyrial archangel? I know most lists auto run 4 griselbrand, Iona, elish norn and tradespout tyrant, and I get the importance of each one. I also noticed most sideboards run at least one inkwell and or one blazing... but empyrial seems strong as well and I haven't seen it in most of the newer lists. It seems strong since it isn't legendary, and has shroud. Also would disfigure or two be feasible due to all of the death rites out there, or is it not needed due to pithing needles? Thanks!

Jun 2011
    Czech Republic

ryscott85: You want to win the game, not do cute things. That is the reason why you aren't play creatures like It That Betrays. I can't think of scenario where I want ITB instead of other creatures (Griselbrand, Elesh, Tyrant, Iona). Two years ago I played Empyrial agains Zoo, because there were no Griselbrand and I needed life protection and StP protection. Nowadays Griselbrand do the job.

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

However sometimes an hexproof creature is needed (against decks with tons of removal). I prefer the archangel over the leviathan because while the latter provides a clock one turn faster, the former is better at racing.

That it betrays, however, doesn't accomplish any useful role for this deck, and it's not impossible to handle: one time I was playing MUD and my opponent reanimated that it betrays on turn 2. I still won via wurmcoil and tight plays.
    Ignorance is strength

Jun 2011
    n/a

Also would disfigure or two be feasible due to all of the death rites out there, or is it not needed due to pithing needles? Thanks!
    Most people are using Pithing Needle and extra Show and Tells out of there board to handle deathrite. I have been running two Darkblasts out of my board as well to handle Death and Taxes, Goblins, Elves, etc and they have bee great mopping up the little guys if you are looking for a card to kill small creatures. Also the dredge helps as an enabler.

@jcsy
    I think you would run Misdirection before you would run Foil. 3 for 1s are just bad. Misdirection is limited to being used in counter wars and if there is another target to change the target of the spell to which means if you want to save Griselbrand they have another creature on the board. I like Flusterstorm to win counter wars but that requires mana to cast.

I also cut Daze as I side them out every game and you don't even always have the island to use it since sometimes you fetch for a Swamp to avoid wasteland sometimes.

@Kingtk3
    Archangel probably is worth looking at running over Inkwell with all the decks packing Karakas and Swords to Plowshares.

@Worldslayer
    Grave Titan sounds like a great idea but what did you end up cutting for the Grave Titan out of the main deck?

Ponder or the dare I say the 4th Griselbrand. I can't see cutting any of the other targets. Iona is the win against mono color decks like Mono blue Show and Know, mono red burn, mono black pox. Elesh is necessary to beat dredge and good against small creature decks like Elves and Goblins. Tidespout is the catch all to bounce things like Ensaring Bridge that you would otherwise lose to.

@ryscott85
    It that Betrays doesn't really do anything until you swing with it. Griselbrand can draws you cards. Iona locks them out of a color. Elesh kills all their weenies. Tidespout bounces problem permanents. Empyrial Archangel stops them from damaging you unless they have 8 or more power on the field.

I don't really think Difigure is worth running. You can Needle shaman or get around it by playing Show and Tell. Engineered Explosives also kills Deathrite Shaman along with many other problem permanents.

@Rampart
    Not sure that Darkblast is what I want to be running assuming the opponent will be boarding in graveyard hate against me.

Nov 2012
    Beijing

personelly i like Grave Titan and i have play it in GP Starsbourg too
    it's a strong weapon against Liliana regardless of 3 or 4 counters on it
    in the mid-game or top deck mode, it can be hardcast with petal.
    Grave Titan + Eleshnorn are very fun to play ^^
    and i can also use my DIY tokens

i prefer 8 creatures main deck, 4 (or 3) Grisel, 1 Iona, 1 Tyrant, 1 Elesh Norn and 1 (or 2) meta slot (now i chose Grave Titan)

this is a photo take on 23/08 a local tounament

Looking at running this for Star City Phily.

Gonna give Grave Titan a try cutting a Ponder.

Acceleration (4)
    4 Lotus Petal

Creatures [8]
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    1 Grave Titan
    4 Griselbrand
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria.
    1 Tidespout Tyrant

Dig (6)
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Ponder

Disruption (7)
    4 Force of Will
    3 Thoughtseize

Creature Dump (8)
    4 Careful Study
    4 Entomb

Reanimation (8+3 Show and Tell)
    4 Exhume
    4 Reanimate
    3 Show and Tell

Lands (16)
    2 Island
    2 Swamp
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Underground Sea
    2 Misty Rainforest
    1 Skalding Tarn
    1 Verdant Catacombs

Sideboard (15)
    1 Blazing Archon (fast aggro with little removal)
    2 Defense Grid (delver with lots of counters/tax spells)
    1 Empyrial Archangel (karakas decks)
    2 Engineered Explosives (catch all, kills goblin tokens, deathrite, cage etc)
    2 Flusterstorm (counters, storm)
    3 Pithing Needle (Karakas, Jace, etc)
    1 Show and Tell (grave yard hate)
    1 Terrastodon (kills ensaring bridge etc)
    2 Wipe Away (bounces counterbalance or whatever)

Jul 2011
    SINGAPORE

hey guys, any thoughts on Theros new creature Ashen Rider?

4CWWBB

Flying 5/5
    Whenever Ashen Rider enters the battlefield or dies, exile target permanent.

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

It surely is an improvement of Angel of despair, but not a great one for this deck since we don't have a way to sacrifice creature in order to maximize the value of this card
    Ignorance is strength

Thread Information