Page 33 of 133 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck]BUx Reanimator

Re: [Deck] Reanimator

My problem with the Delve cards are that they are so high costing by the time we have enough cards in the yard we should have combo'd out already. On game 2 where they bring the graveyard hate especially Rest in Peace it makes it those delve cards basically a dead card.

But that is my opinion, I value speed in this deck as I pack a Petal/Daze split.

If I was going to play delve cards, I would be really tempted to splash red to play 4 Faithless Looting and either Burning Wish or maybe even a Gamble or two. Synergy baby!

Red has so much cool stuff to offer this deck pre and postboard that I'm surprised the red splash isn't more common.

Given the amount of graveyard hate, and peoples' typical strategies for dealing with the S&T package post-board, is their any validity to alternative sideboard plan such as 4 pack rat? They play fine with the main game plan and are quite strong against the control decks and UWR delver. A board plan like this would likely mean running 2 or fewer petals in the main in favor of real lands (15-17 total). Anyone think it is an option?

I'm slightly biased as I believe I was the first with the idea (though I'm only playing 3), but in my experience, yes, pack rat is very strong against blue decks, but gets worse against decks that don't board out removal (non-blue decks) The hard part is boarding to keep the combo strong, but with a lot of thought a good plan can be made.

I'm playing a standard list. I'd like to try and fit 4 g probes into the main for information, and also swapping the thought seizes to cabal therapy to nab multiples. Has anyone tried this? I can drop main board daze and perhaps show and tell?

Most decks don't have hate g1 anyway.

Sent from my phone sorry about the block of text.

I have been testing with Treasure Cruise. Matchups tested against BUG Delver, Dredge, Death and Taxes so far. In the Daze/Lotus shell, I feel this card does not have a place. As others have said, it isn't active in the early game (usually castable by tapping out turn 2), and it gets sided out when opponents bring in grave hate. If anyone wants to try it out, I think 2 copies is about ideal, though 0 is probably better.
    Legacy - all flavors of Delver, UB Shadow, Eldrazi Stompy, UBx Reanimator, some UBx midrange piles
    Modern - Prowess, Traverse Shadow
    Pioneer - UW Aggro

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by kingsey View Post
    I'm playing a standard list. I'd like to try and fit 4 g probes into the main for information, and also swapping the thought seizes to cabal therapy to nab multiples. Has anyone tried this? I can drop main board daze and perhaps show and tell?

Most decks don't have hate g1 anyway.

Sent from my phone sorry about the block of text.
    What is this doing that Thoughtseize alone isn't doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

I think an argument could be made for therapy over thoughtseize on the grounds it hit multiple, but I would only ever do this at a local store where the meta was very solid and steady. Therapy is a challenging card to play at the best of times, but I would never play it with git probes. I may be old fashioned, but therapy was played fine without probing for years and I don't think diluting or slowing down the main deck to give yourself that, admittedly useful, crutch makes sense, especially when thoughtseize exists.

If you are going to run therapy, you probably want to do so in a list with grave titan in the main, because you get considerably more value off of it.

It's possible a 3/1 split or 2/2 might be appropriate but to be honest, I think most players will want one or the other. That said, there have been a number of occasions where I have wished a top deck thoughtseize was a therapy, especially when I am sitting on low life (eg after reanimated Russell brand gets karakas'd or Lilli'd). In short, there may be some merit to therapy as a long game "alive" top deck, but odds are we aren't winning the games where a therapy is castable but a thoughtseize isn't anyways.

Mar 2014
    Minnesota

Looking for some advice on how to sideboard this deck. I can understand which cards to bring in against what match ups, but i cannot figure out which cards you board out. Any input or advice will be greatly appreciated.

My list:
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Underground Sea
    3 Swamp
    2 Bloodstaind Mire
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 Island
    Lands(16)

4 Griselbrand
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    1 Tidespout Tyrant
    Creatures(7)

4 Force of Will
    4 Entomb
    4 Reanimate
    4 Exhume
    4 Careful Study
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Thoughtseize
    3 Ponder
    2 Daze
    2 Show and Tell
    Instant Sorceries(35)

3 Lotus Petal
    Other Spells(2)

Sideboard~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    3 Pithing Needle
    2 Show and Tell
    2 Massacre
    2 City of Traitors
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Echoing Truths
    1 Ashen Rider
    1 Inkwell Leviathan

Howishotgun, we run very similar lists. Generally speaking there are several cards that I consider to be "regular cuts," meaning they can be cut without diluting the combo too much. Those cards to me are Lotus Petal, Ponder, and Exhume. Now, I'm not going to ever cut all copies of all three cards, but shaving one or two of each for dedicated slots in a given matchup will increase the overall power level of the deck. For example, in a matchup where I want to bring in 5 cards, I'll usually cut 2 Petals, 2 Ponders, and an Exhume.

However there is a bit more thought that goes into the process. If you have any experience playing a Daze deck in legacy, you know that the card can be removed in games where you'll be on the draw for lack of efficacy. Therefore, in the example above, if I want to bring in 5 cards, but I'm on the draw, I'll cut 2 Daze, 2 Ponder, and a Lotus Petal.

Since Show and Tell + City of Traitors is our most commonly sided in package (I'd say at least one of each comes in at least 80% of the time), it's important to understand that Petals are only cuttable because we're bringing in more mana anyway.

Then there are matchup dependant cuts that aren't totally obvious. I take out Force of Will and Daze against Death and Taxes, because they have Vial, and we really only care about Wasteland and Karakas. I take out Exhume against Dredge, because the symmetrical spell will often cost us the game.

Anyway, sideboarding is really something that comes with practice. Good luck!
    Legacy - all flavors of Delver, UB Shadow, Eldrazi Stompy, UBx Reanimator, some UBx midrange piles
    Modern - Prowess, Traverse Shadow
    Pioneer - UW Aggro

Mar 2014
    Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerRobot View Post
    Howishotgun, we run very similar lists. Generally speaking there are several cards that I consider to be "regular cuts," meaning they can be cut without diluting the combo too much. Those cards to me are Lotus Petal, Ponder, and Exhume. Now, I'm not going to ever cut all copies of all three cards, but shaving one or two of each for dedicated slots in a given matchup will increase the overall power level of the deck. For example, in a matchup where I want to bring in 5 cards, I'll usually cut 2 Petals, 2 Ponders, and an Exhume.

However there is a bit more thought that goes into the process. If you have any experience playing a Daze deck in legacy, you know that the card can be removed in games where you'll be on the draw for lack of efficacy. Therefore, in the example above, if I want to bring in 5 cards, but I'm on the draw, I'll cut 2 Daze, 2 Ponder, and a Lotus Petal.

Since Show and Tell + City of Traitors is our most commonly sided in package (I'd say at least one of each comes in at least 80% of the time), it's important to understand that Petals are only cuttable because we're bringing in more mana anyway.

Then there are matchup dependant cuts that aren't totally obvious. I take out Force of Will and Daze against Death and Taxes, because they have Vial, and we really only care about Wasteland and Karakas. I take out Exhume against Dredge, because the symmetrical spell will often cost us the game.

Anyway, sideboarding is really something that comes with practice. Good luck!
    Thank you! this is exactly what i was looking for.

Hi you all!!

New to the deck! Just got my set of reanimate!

Some few question:

-Is griselbrand the most desireable creature for reanimating ever? Does it apply to all games?
    -Does anybody miss empyreal archangel?

thx in advance!!

GC

Dec 2009
    Newark, Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenCid View Post
    Hi you all!!

New to the deck! Just got my set of reanimate!

Some few question:

-Is griselbrand the most desireable creature for reanimating ever? Does it apply to all games?
    -Does anybody miss empyreal archangel?

thx in advance!!

GC
    Griselbrand is your default mode. Unless one of your (usually three) silver bullets happens to crush the match (think Elesh Norn vs. Elves, Tidespout or AA vs. Show and Tell, or Sire vs. Combo), you make a Griselbrand.

In the dark, I make a Griselbrand. The card is basically the reason reanimator is even playable.

No, I don't particularly miss Empyrial.
    11th at SCG Baltimore - 6/02/2013
    2nd at SCG Philadelphia - 6/23/2013
    28th at SCG Worcester - 7/07/2013

Jan 2013
    Ontario, Canada

I've played a very typical ReAnimator in a couple of legacy events recently. 0 daze, 4 petal, 3 seize, 7 fatties and the rest is quadlazer I think... 2 shows main, 2 side with 2 cities. I top 4'd both in an 18 and 23 person event

I play 4, grisel, 1 elesh, 1 iona, 1 inkwell leviathan...

I wanted to discuss the 7th fatty slot (non iona/grisel/elesh) I have read about cutting Iona main for Sire and other singleton bombs but I still think she is too good to cut MD... Is it purely a meta call? Obviously Inkwell is better against Miracles and D&T since it dodges Karakas and Swords to Plowshares... But Tidespout can beat ensnaring bridge...
    Pox
    Imperial Painter
    Team America

Dec 2009
    Newark, Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by Will_L View Post
    I've played a very typical ReAnimator in a couple of legacy events recently. 0 daze, 4 petal, 3 seize, 7 fatties and the rest is quadlazer I think... 2 shows main, 2 side with 2 cities. I top 4'd both in an 18 and 23 person event

I wanted to discuss the 7th fatty slot (non iona/grisel/elesh) I have read about cutting Iona main for Sire and other singleton bombs but I still think she is too good to cut MD... Is it purely a meta call? Obviously Inkwell is better against Miracles and D&T since it dodges Karakas and Swords to Plowshares... But Tidespout can beat ensnaring bridge...
    We've went over most of this in the thread already, but generally - Unless your meta is entirely Omnitell and Elves, Sire largely outmodes Iona. You want a catch all like Tyrant, Angel, or Archon otherwise you potentially just get gibbed game 1 by SnT or some of the weird shit legacy throws at you. Considering game 1 is when we're strongest and 2/3 are uphill battles, that's mostly unacceptable.

Death and Taxes is a winnable game 1 without resorting to things like Inkwell. Hell, half the time they can put enough guys on the board to just trade with it before they're dead. Miracles, the thing is just eating a Terminus anyway.

What is sire? Sorry

Enviado desde mi XT890 mediante Tapatalk

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

What is sire? Sorry
    Sire of Insanity

Mm...like jin gitaxias instead

Dec 2009
    Newark, Delaware

Mm...like jin gitaxias instead

Not that a comment that short really merits response, but fuck it, I'm feeling froggy.

1) Jin Gitaxias is a smaller body for four more mana. Though the actual mana cost is usually irrelevant, I have casted Sire fairly regularly. Four life is also four life.

2) Jin is actually much more vulnerable than Sire in a format where REB and the like are borderline maindeckable cards.

3) Karakas. If you're playing reanimator and have two similar creatures, one of which is legendary, you opt for the nonlegendary. The less Karakas irritates you game 1, the better. Since Sire is actually my game 1 go to against Karakas decks, I'd prefer him to not be legendary and bounced off the top.

Jin hasn't been playable since Griselbrand, and was questionable before that.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by Will_L View Post

Iona in the main seems poor, she crushes select matches sure, but is underwhelming on a lot of match ups that we struggle with already. I have her in my side to be brought in when I know what I'm up against. Tidespout does more to a broader base of opponents and offers outs in an effective way that's difficult to stop. I'd main him over Iona. Another non legendary to consider is Grave Titan. Low life loss and dodging edict effects is nice. 10 power with blockers on the back swing isn't anything to shrug off either. I'd run either Grave Titan or Inkwell, depending on your meta call.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Thread Information