Page 44 of 133 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck]BUx Reanimator

Re: [Deck] Reanimator

Quote Originally Posted by limbo View Post
    Why not split 1 surgical and 1 coffin purge, so you can fetch it via entomb?
    the idea of the sideboard was :

a card that beat nearly everything (in instant, if possible) --> decay
    a card that beat the rest --> needle
    and free cards to be daze/pierce-proof and playable with thalia on board

the problem of a combo deck is the in/out. And i think that this sidetech was good for a tournament like this.

i know that a split would be great but i prefer use my mana to combo fast and keep free cards to crush my opponent's hand / graveyard.

coffin purge is great with entomb to kill any great card in a graveyard but surgical the Fow's of your opponent before the combo let you "safe" : you win the counter war and look at his hand ... so you know everything that you need.

and next time, the archangel will be in MD with sphinx in SB cause of the W.deck > R.deck in my meta.

hope my answer help you ;)

EDH | Legacy
    Jul 2010
    Malaysia

Anybody thought of using Blood Baron of Vizkopa as the Sphinx slot, that protects itself from removal and has lifelink? Yes, Sphinx might be better but she doesn't dodge

5 life to Reanimate
    Animate Dead will be bad
    4/4 just out of burn range

Reason being Lifelink and Protection/Shroud/Hexproof together on a creature seems to be a plan

Legacy decks
    The Reanimator

EDH decks
    The Mimeoplasm || Toolbox Reanimation Combo
    Doran, the Siege Tower || Tribal Aggro Control
    Sedris, The Traitor King || Budget Reanimation Aggro
    Marrow Gnawer || Relentless Rats Aggro Combo
    Olivia Voldaren || Aggro Control
    Gaddock Teeg || Support Combo Aggro
    Cromat || Hypergenesis Combo

Quote Originally Posted by jcsy View Post
    Anybody thought of using Blood Baron of Vizkopa as the Sphinx slot, that protects itself from removal and has lifelink? Yes, Sphinx might be better but she doesn't dodge

5 life to Reanimate
    Animate Dead will be bad

Reason being Lifelink and Protection/Shroud/Hexproof together on a creature seems to be a plan
    Only problem is that the lack of evasion makes it hard to connect or have any favorable trades against large creatures. Furthermore, i doubt that it will ever has it's second ability "turned on" due to the fact that our deck inherently plays with life. Seems strictly worse as a 5 drop 4/4 with lifelink. It is immune to swords but can be bolted, which is what sphinx was for... red decks.

5 life to Reanimate
    Animate Dead will be bad

I just see myself having that in play against a 4/5 goyf

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Sphinx is for red decks. Inkwell is for white decks. But test it and share results. Always test. Always share results.

And speaking of, anybody have any results using the god as not-a-creature target yet? I've moved myself into a Legacy desert unfortunately and haven't had a chance to get a single game in.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

I have tested Keranos, though only a small ammount, and so far, he is great. Bolting down everything in DnT is not the worst way to win that matchup, especially if they don't have Mom.

Apologies if this question has been addressed somewhere along the line, but I ran into a rules question during playtesting and was hoping someone here would know the answer.

I was facing Dredge game 1. My opponent went draw, discard a dredger, pass. I cast reanimate on his dredger to slow him down, especially since I didn't have an immediate option to bin/reanimate a better creature. I ended up casting animate dead on another dredger later. Ultimately, the dredge player got Elesh Norn into play, killing the stinkweed imp and golgari thug I had stolen. Does the creature go to my graveyard first, then transfer to my opponent's yard (which would remove his bridge from below), or does a creature brought into play by reanimate go directly to it's graveyard of origin?

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

What do you think of this 75:

4 Polluted Delta
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Tundra
    1 Bayou
    2 Island
    1 Swamp
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Exhume
    4 Reanimate
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Ponder
    2 Show and Tell
    4 Careful Study
    3 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Entomb
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Griselbrand
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Ashen Rider

Sideboard:

3 Abrupt Decay
    2 City of Traitors
    1 Serenity
    1 Loyal Retainers
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Daze
    1 Tidespout Tyrant
    2 Show and Tell
    2 ???
    I really would like to splash white for Serenity and Loyal Retainers:

Reasons:

1. Serenity, although needs to survive a turn, is a "catch all" hate, that does not target so no misdirection :)
    2. Loyal Retainers lets you go at instant speed, while being immune to Spell Snare, Spell Pierce and Flusterstorm (also miracles has a harder time finding a 3cc)

What do you think? Also looking for tips for that last 2 spots in the SB. Maybe Boseiju? Animate Dead? are 8 fetches too low?

Any help is appreciated!!!

Quote Originally Posted by owerbart View Post
    What do you think of this 75:

4 Polluted Delta
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Tundra
    1 Bayou
    2 Island
    1 Swamp
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Exhume
    4 Reanimate
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Ponder
    2 Show and Tell
    4 Careful Study
    3 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Entomb
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Griselbrand
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Ashen Rider

Sideboard:

3 Abrupt Decay
    2 City of Traitors
    1 Serenity
    1 Loyal Retainers
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Daze
    1 Tidespout Tyrant
    2 Show and Tell
    2 ???
    I really would like to splash white for Serenity and Loyal Retainers:

Reasons:

1. Serenity, although needs to survive a turn, is a "catch all" hate, that does not target so no misdirection :)
    2. Loyal Retainers lets you go at instant speed, while being immune to Spell Snare, Spell Pierce and Flusterstorm (also miracles has a harder time finding a 3cc)

What do you think? Also looking for tips for that last 2 spots in the SB. Maybe Boseiju? Animate Dead? are 8 fetches too low?

Any help is appreciated!!!
    I always thought about adding white for a singleton Unburial Rites that you could entomb for. Loyal Retainers is nice against flusterstorm and spell pierce but it does cost 3 which is a lot.

Maybe you could cut out black entirely and jam a mix of loyal retainers, unburial rites and show and tells. If you did that I would definitely try to squeeze in some cavern of souls so you could make your loyal retainers uncountable.

Worldgorger Dragon is back! I was using this in Vintage to decent effect and for much fun involving a hardcast fireball to win.

The problem is Worldgorger Dragon by itself if I reanimated it here without Animate dead doesn't really do much. It's just a 7/7 Flying Trample that happens to hide our permanents and doesn't really change the opponent's board state. It doesn't scream must answer like the other fatties we reanimate.

Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

It's something else entirely. WGD was always a combo piece to a different end, usually a game ending spell or whatever, infinite mana makes winning easy, who knew. We're really set on a combo of our own, but our combo ends with a huge creature in play to close out the game through glorious combat. Or concession, that's good too.
    WGD decks might look similar to Reanimator, but they'll be their own spin, like TinFins or budget~

Quote Originally Posted by arrovian View Post
    Apologies if this question has been addressed somewhere along the line, but I ran into a rules question during playtesting and was hoping someone here would know the answer.

I was facing Dredge game 1. My opponent went draw, discard a dredger, pass. I cast reanimate on his dredger to slow him down, especially since I didn't have an immediate option to bin/reanimate a better creature. I ended up casting animate dead on another dredger later. Ultimately, the dredge player got Elesh Norn into play, killing the stinkweed imp and golgari thug I had stolen. Does the creature go to my graveyard first, then transfer to my opponent's yard (which would remove his bridge from below), or does a creature brought into play by reanimate go directly to it's graveyard of origin?
    It goes back to the graveyard it originated from.

With TC gone Wasteland is gonna be on the uptick. As much as I like the green splash for abrupt decay, I only run two basic lands and I cannot justify a basic forest in the MD.

So the old ways in U/B were just bounce spells like CoV, Echoing Truth, and maybe Wipe Away to mess with Chalice strategies?

@Nuke is Good
    I like the Abrupt decay plan because it is a good catch all that kills most hate cards like Deathrite Shaman, Containment Priest, Ensaring Bridge, Grafdigger's Cage, Relic of Progenitus, Rest in Peace, Tormod's Crypt. The next best thing is Engineered Explosives which likely takes 2 turns ti activate and unless you are splashing a color you need Petal to kill Ensnaring Bridge.

I actually have 4 basics and have the Bayou and Tropical in the board instead of City of Traitors.

Worldgorger Dragon doesn't seem so good since it gets owned by everything normal reanimator does plus if they Swords your Dragon in response to the trigger you lose all your land permanently.

@beebles
    I am not sure about splashing white Unburial Rites while fetchable by Entomb costs 4/5 Mana so is difficult to resolve period since we run so few lands and there are Spell Pierce and Daze. Serenity does not get rid of Containment Priest or Deathrite Shaman.

@jcsy
    blood baron isn't worth it. Too small gets owned by batterskull and goyf If you want a semi castable creature Grave Titan isn't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuke is Good View Post
    With TC gone Wasteland is gonna be on the uptick. As much as I like the green splash for abrupt decay, I only run two basic lands and I cannot justify a basic forest in the MD.

So the old ways in U/B were just bounce spells like CoV, Echoing Truth, and maybe Wipe Away to mess with Chalice strategies?
    Counterspells and proactive discard is probably the better route to go than bounce spells.

I do agree with you though. With the inevitable uptick in Wasteland, I think going back to U/B is the right way to go for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mhenlo View Post
    I could see it being extremely good against storm.
    Chancellor is good against storm but the opening hand ability is negligible since they can ussually just pay 1 for Petal, LED or Probe, but that might be enough to delay them by a turn.

This is a deck that I am going to be testing over the next few weeks. It a hybridized version of both reanimator of WGD combo. It's basically Reanimator with a WGD to go for the inta-kill combo. It's running slightly more discard than my normal list to combat Decay, which could be a problem if not discarded. What are everyone's thoughts?

4 Griselbrand
    1 Worldgorger Dragon
    1 Ashen Rider
    1 Oona, Queen of the Fae

2 Ponder
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Careful Study
    4 Entomb
    3 Daze
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Animate Dead
    4 Reanimate
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Force of Will

4 Polluted Delta
    4 Underground Sea
    2 Misty Rainforest
    2 Verdant Catacomb
    2 Nephalia Drownyard
    1 Island
    1 Swamp

Sideboard
    1 Scholar of Athreos
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    2 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Chain of Vapor
    1 Echoing Truth
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Massacre
    2 Show and Tell
    3 Dark Ritual
    Last edited by jvmauck; 01-29-2015 at 12:01 PM.

I'm new to this deck, so this might be a stupid question, but has anyone tried Children of Korlis as a target? The main drawback is that it's obviously no good on its own, but I see decks running Hapless Researcher so I did a little testing with it in one of those slots. The benefit is that if you bring back a Griselbrand and Children of Korlis, you can generally draw half of your deck and fill the board with fatties.

Maybe it's not necessary, but in my brief testing periods with the deck, I had run into life total problems such that getting Griselbrand out was not enough to come back and win. Has anyone else tried Children of Korlis?

Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by kihachi View Post
    I'm new to this deck, so this might be a stupid question, but has anyone tried Children of Korlis as a target? The main drawback is that it's obviously no good on its own, but I see decks running Hapless Researcher so I did a little testing with it in one of those slots. The benefit is that if you bring back a Griselbrand and Children of Korlis, you can generally draw half of your deck and fill the board with fatties.

Maybe it's not necessary, but in my brief testing periods with the deck, I had run into life total problems such that getting Griselbrand out was not enough to come back and win. Has anyone else tried Children of Korlis?
    What you're talking about is TinFins, a Reanimator deck with a more combo-y finish to it. They'll use the instant speed reanimation spells, do exactly what you;re talking about, then finish with Emrakul along side the Girselbrand.

As the classic Reanimator, a few turns getting beat up will mean a Reanimate into Griselbrand puts you outside draw life, or worse yet, drops you down to 8 life. (Need to dig for Force? Sure go right ahead!) I run a 4-3-2 split of the reanimation suite, because having access to life loss-less spells is necessary to win a significant number of match ups. Filling the board with fatties isn't really required ever, all the targets put us ahead after a single combat step if not sooner, and we aim to close out the game on the back of a single body.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    What you're talking about is TinFins, a Reanimator deck with a more combo-y finish to it. They'll use the instant speed reanimation spells, do exactly what you;re talking about, then finish with Emrakul along side the Girselbrand.

As the classic Reanimator, a few turns getting beat up will mean a Reanimate into Griselbrand puts you outside draw life, or worse yet, drops you down to 8 life. (Need to dig for Force? Sure go right ahead!) I run a 4-3-2 split of the reanimation suite, because having access to life loss-less spells is necessary to win a significant number of match ups. Filling the board with fatties isn't really required ever, all the targets put us ahead after a single combat step if not sooner, and we aim to close out the game on the back of a single body.
    Sorry, I guess I should've clarified, but I'm quite familiar with Tin Fins and was just wondering why exactly that tech didn't fit in at all here. You did answer my question pretty well though. But it still seems like a great card to draw naturally in concert with an active Griselbrand, OR if you've Reanimated any fatty and want your life back. If it doesn't fit it doesn't fit, but I was just wondering why exactly or if anyone had tried Children of Korlis in a standard Reanimator build.

Thread Information