Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Friends/Romans/Countrymen finally revealed! PAX East 2013

The upcoming block got their final names on PAX East 2013

Friends - Theros
    Romans - Born of the Gods
    Countrymen - Journey into Nix

This is pretty much the confirmation for an greek-mythology-block.

Official Arcana Info
    Set Name Theros
    Block Set 1 of 3 in the Theros block
    Number of Cards 249
    Prerelease Events September 21-22, 2013
    Release Date September 27, 2013
    Launch Weekend September 27-29, 2013
    Pro Tour Theros Dates October 11-13, 2013
    Game Day October 19-20, 2013
    Pro Tour Theros Formats Swiss:

Standard Constructed
    Theros Booster Draft

Top 8:

Standard Constructed

Official Three-Letter Code THS
    Twitter Hashtag #MTGTHS
    Initial Concept and Game Design Mark Rosewater (lead), Ethan Fleischer, Ken Nagle, Zac Hill, and Jenna Helland
    Final Game Design and Development Erik Lauer (lead), Zac Hill, Dave Humpherys, Doug Beyer, Shawn Main, and Tom LaPille
    Languages English, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
    Available in Booster Packs, Intro Packs*, Event Deck*, Fat Pack*
    Are you fucking kidding me?!?!
    Last edited by Lemnear; 03-25-2013 at 08:07 AM.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Re: Friends/Romans/Countrymen finally revealed! PAX East 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    The upcoming block got their final names on PAX East 2013

Friends - Theros
    Romans - Born of the Gods
    Countrymen - Journey into Nix

This is pretty much the confirmation for an greek-mythology-block.
    Romans? Greeks? Even my faint memory of ancient history is groaning at the faux-pas. Ugh.

Cool theme tho, are we expecting more Dryad Arbors then? Thunderbolt? Hammer of Olympus (Hammer of Bogardan look alike)?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

I check my look in the mirror.

Feb 2011

I'm trying to come up with a "Wrath of God" joke and failing.
    One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Maybe we get the Storm mechanic back? Jupiter = God of the Sky/Thunder = Storms...?

(joking obv)
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Romans? Greeks? Even my faint memory of ancient history is groaning at the faux-pas. Ugh.

Cool theme tho, are we expecting more Dryad Arbors then? Thunderbolt? Hammer of Olympus (Hammer of Bogardan look alike)?
    Yeah, sounds like WotC's head designers does not only recruit same-minded employees but obviously all have had to fail at History class as well /rant

Wouldn't give much about codenames in general. They could not name them Zeus, Poseidon, Hades after all. The title "Romans" could be an accident
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Storm coming back would make me wet my pants with excitement and I would buy all of the shocks to play standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

May 2011
    Belgium

I love greek mythology, can't wait to see that set.
    I don't like MTG, i just like legacy control decks.
    Esper stoneblade

Names seem pretty meh. I'm assuming Theros is the name of the new plane, but it just doesn't have a particularly good ring to it. Innistrad, Mirrodin, Zendikar...those are cool names. Theros? Meh. Born of the Gods and Journey Into Nix sound just plain cheesy and a bit of a mouthful.

Doesn't really tell us much though. I'm more interested in what the theme(s) of the block will be. I was hoping for a tribal block, but the pattern seems to be to have a tribal block be the SECOND block after a multicolor block (see: Invasion and Onslaught, Ravnica and Lorwyn). Best guess I can venture based on the names is that this might be another Legendary one like Kamigawa.

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    I'm more interested in what the theme(s) of the block will be. I was hoping for a tribal block, but the pattern seems to be to have a tribal block be the SECOND block after a multicolor block (see: Invasion and Onslaught, Ravnica and Lorwyn). Best guess I can venture based on the names is that this might be another Legendary one like Kamigawa.
    If it is Greek themed, I can't imagine that it will be a tribal block. I don't see the classic creature types like goblins and elves fitting into Greek mythos very well. Maybe they could do it with classes instead of races? Alternatively, it could be an enchantment theme since they haven't done that for a while. They could even do a land theme since Zendikar was a pretty long time ago.

I like the idea of revisiting the legendary theme. Kamigawa had a lot of problems, but I think that the legendary theme deserves another chance. It would work perfectly with the Greek theme, and it could even be combined with a land or enchantment theme if they need more depth. To take it full circle, maybe it will be tribal and we'll be revisiting arcane spells (although I have to believe that they will probably be called something else).

There is so much unexplored space in Greek/ Roman mythology, I can wait to see the new mechanics. I am just hoping they are not as simplistic as the ones in RTR and Gatecrash.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by GradStudentGuy View Post
    There is so much unexplored space in Greek/ Roman mythology, I can wait to see the new mechanics. I am just hoping they are not as simplistic as the ones in RTR and Gatecrash.
    My bets on more creature-only mechanics ... as usual -.-

Join us at Facebook!

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

We'll probably get more Merfolk (Poseidon dudes).

Maybe a badass Kraken (another Show & Tell dude to drop).

Possibly new Avatars and Titans?

Buy your Didgeridoos as long as they are cheap ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    World Enchantments sit in the corner and cry because nobody gives a fuck about them.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

The code names are made for reference way before any work on the set starts, and have no creative meaning at all. I mean, the block after Theros is called Huey/Dewey/Louie and I doubt it will be a Disney tie-in.

Greek mythology is a pretty safe area to explore. I don't think there really is much to be guessed since they could do like they did with Lorwyn/Celtic and Ravnica/Slavic and just crib some names, creature types, and aesthetic while making a pretty much original world.

It would be fun if the third set has a major free spells theme, though.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

TkDodo
    Buy your Didgeridoos as long as they are cheap ;)

Thing is that with a Greek/Roman mythology-based plane, there's quite a big chance to see forgotten tribes back on stage, like Minotaurs, Harpies, Medusas, Krakens, Titans, Birds, etc. That's pretty sweet.
    The whole block may have a Antiquities touch to it & that'd be nice. :)

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco111 View Post

Thing is that with a Greek/Roman mythology-based plane, there's quite a big chance to see forgotten tribes back on stage, like Minotaurs, Harpies, Medusas, Krakens, Titans, Birds, etc. That's pretty sweet.
    The whole block may have a Antiquities touch to it & that'd be nice. :)
    Pegasi might be prominent as well.

I can see a legendary block coming. Greek mythology had lots of heroes and prominent figures they can base their stuff on.

And since Wizards already neutered the power level of GTC, maybe this block isn't going to suck like Kamigawa?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Get your Quests for Ula's Temple and Sacred Mesas now!

Join us at Facebook!

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Clearly the code names were trying to incite us to mutiny and rage about the mixed references! (If you're not sure what I'm talking about, check out http://www.shakespeare-navigators.co....html#speech30. It's an incredible, classic speech)

Hopefully they'll do some Human Advisors tribal (obviously featuring Filibuster counters). What could be more appropriate for a Greek-themed plane than summoning windbag sophists?
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Update OP with VERY BAD news

Join us at Facebook!

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Update OP with VERY BAD news
    Tom LaPille is kinda obvious, but what has Erik Lauer done?

Thread Information