Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dragon's Maze - Guild Champions Revealed!

Re: Dragon's Maze - Guild Champions Revealed!

Quote Originally Posted by catmint View Post
    TES can be fast enough, so Elves also has to run some discard or mindbreak trap. GSZ for x=6 is pretty common turn 3 without glimpse, but I suppose you don't know the deck very well, but that is not really relevant since you most likely use your GSZ for x=2 in turn 2.

Anyway your argument that with TES (btw.: there is also ANT and High tide out there) you are just faster or super disruptive with silence does not change the fact that Ruric is an upgrade to any GSZ/NO target that does not win instantly.
    So you have to pray to god that the TES player doesn't kill you turn 2 on the draw, have no discard spells for GSZ/NO, or have a bounce spell in hand or on top of their deck? No idea why you would run this guy over gaddock teeg in elves. Teeg stops combo decks coming out turn 2. Sure, they can dig for the bounce spell or decay. However, a one turn difference is ENORMOUS in terms of elves vs. TES or other combo. Ruric Thar has a really backbreacking ability to be sure, but his manacost will restrict the number of decks he can be used in. Only deck I can think of that can use him is jund nic fit, and he's just a one of in there at best.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

At that casting cost, in legacy, the card's text needs to be tantamount to 'you win the game in two turns' or better. Otherwise it doesn't justify the effort of getting cheated into play or ramping up to cast it.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ritual View Post
    So you have to pray to god that the TES player doesn't kill you turn 2 on the draw, have no discard spells for GSZ/NO, or have a bounce spell in hand or on top of their deck? No idea why you would run this guy over gaddock teeg in elves. Teeg stops combo decks coming out turn 2. Sure, they can dig for the bounce spell or decay. However, a one turn difference is ENORMOUS in terms of elves vs. TES or other combo. Ruric Thar has a really backbreacking ability to be sure, but his manacost will restrict the number of decks he can be used in. Only deck I can think of that can use him is jund nic fit, and he's just a one of in there at best.
    The idea isn't to play Ruric instead of Teeg, but in addition. GSZ=>Teeg is irritating, quick and doesn't need many resources, but thus far NO is either resource-intensive or slow or puts Teeg into play which is less than impressive. NO=>Ruric makes NO a much more immediate and less resource-hungry threat, which in turn makes things like discard for slowing combo down easier to include. (Also, T2 NO hasn't been a threat thus far - T2 Ruric? Yessir.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

In response: Snapcaster Mage
    Feb 2011

Thanks for explaining that Zombie. I already wrote that we want to play GSZ for x=2 on turn 2, but next time I will write Gaddock Teeg so even Dark Ritual gets it. Shows he has little understanding of elves but still comes to the conclusion that "only deck he can see using Ruric is Nic Fit". As pointed out in the combo matchup Ruric is a strictly better NO target than Regal Force (not strictly but like 95% of the time) and unless you win on the spot also better than Behemoth.
    Currently playing: Elves

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    See, I think he's great with Glowrider/Thalia/Thorn effects. The first noncreature spell they cast is probably going to be the one that deals with him, right? So the goal should be to get to attack with him as many times as possible (since he's probably going to outclass most other creatures) before he finally gets dealt with.
    True, but I don't think that he's uniquely good with glowrider. You could just run any huge creature. The only benefit is that he does 6 damage guaranteed. If you're going to play a six drop, you could play numot the devastator to really wreck their chances of casting a spell. Or you could just play inferno titan, which will do 3 damage guaranteed and at least 9 damage on each attack.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Malchar View Post
    True, but I don't think that he's uniquely good with glowrider. You could just run any huge creature. The only benefit is that he does 6 damage guaranteed. If you're going to play a six drop, you could play numot the devastator to really wreck their chances of casting a spell. Or you could just play inferno titan, which will do 3 damage guaranteed and at least 9 damage on each attack.
    Agreed - I just see him as pretty much getting in free 6 damage as well as protecting you from return attacks by creatures.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Varolz, the Scar-Striped

Legendary Creature — Troll warrior (R)

If Varolz, the Scar-Striped would be destroyed, regenerate it and put a +1/+1 counter on it.
    Remove a +1/+1 counter from Varolz: Varolz gains deathtouch until end of turn.

"Don't let him turn his back on you."
    -Grozdan, to Tajic

4/4
    unconfirmed, possible april's fool, "Troll" attempt ;)
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

What are the odds on that costing ?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    What are the odds on that costing ?
    The source who provided the picture said that the manacost is .

Sorry for stating the obvious, but Varolz, the Scar-Striped seems good in a deck packing deeds.

Quote Originally Posted by jhhdk View Post
    Sorry for stating the obvious, but Varolz, the Scar-Striped seems good in a deck packing deeds.
    And is apparently very, very fake.

EDIT: unconfirmed Melek seems....something.

for a Phantom Warrior with a Saboteur trigger of a choice of half of Electrolyze (either 2dmg divided, or cantrip).

Source here (UNCONFIRMED).

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    for a Phantom Warrior with a Saboteur trigger of a choice of half of Electrolyze (either 2dmg divided, or cantrip).

Source here (UNCONFIRMED).
    IF it's real, that might very well be Legacy-playable. An evasive, potential 5-turn clock that can generate massive card advantage and has AWESOME for 3 mana? Sounds good.

Main disadvantage would probably be that it dies to every Blast in addition to other common removal and being crap against Karakas.

It's also pretty awesome with equipment. Could be hilarious in a build with Grim Lavamancer and Basilisk Collar.

Oh! And Render Silent's FNM art seems to have Melek on the artwork.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    IF it's real, that might very well be Legacy-playable. An evasive, potential 5-turn clock that can generate massive card advantage and has AWESOME for 3 mana? Sounds good.

Main disadvantage would probably be that it dies to every Blast in addition to other common removal and being crap against Karakas.

It's also pretty awesome with equipment. Could be hilarious in a build with Grim Lavamancer and Basilisk Collar.
    Agree, this is quite a neat control card. Makes me wish UR Fish was still a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

My UWR Midrange modern deck would like this as a 2-of. But... creature type Weird? Seems fakeish.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    My UWR Midrange modern deck would like this as a 2-of. But... creature type Weird? Seems fakeish.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    So this has nothing to do with anything, but I wish there was a deck with Blistercoil Weird and Kiln Fiend and a billion burn/draw spells but I strongly suspect it'd be ass.

At any rate, I love a good utility creature, so legendary Weird guy is fine by me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

I guess with Spoiler Season starting Monday afaik, I'll do some updates here the following week with better pics and such
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    So this has nothing to do with anything, but I wish there was a deck with Blistercoil Weird and Kiln Fiend and a billion burn/draw spells but I strongly suspect it'd be ass.

At any rate, I love a good utility creature, so legendary Weird guy is fine by me.
    I would totally play such a deck. I love Kiln Fiend and have been looking for just the right deck to play him in.

Mar 2007

Turns out the Izzet champion was fake (and the actual one isn't Legacy-playable):

Any uses for Ral Zarek?

Edit: Also, new split cards!

Beck is interesting, as it can serve as additional Glimpse of Nature copies that also works with tokens.

Thread Information