Page 81 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3171777879808182838485 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 1741

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Burn

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

Why not run both? Looking at the bolt cards, and trying to stay away from multicolor and the truly bad bolts, I think an updated list could be:

4 Goblin Guide
    4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
    4 Monastery Swiftspear

4 Lava Spike
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Rift Bolt
    4 Skewer the Critics
    4 Fireblast
    3 Price of Progress
    2 Open Spots for (Sulfuric Vortex, Searing Blaze, Forked Bolt, Grim Lavamancer)

19 Lands

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Why not run both?
    I'm already looking to cut cards to test stuff like Light up the Stage, and Rift Bolt is the weakest card in the deck outside of Searing Blaze with no opposing creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Aug 2016
    Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post

Spectacle Bolt. Does Burn even want to be a 40 Bolt 20 Land deck anymore?
    I don't think Legacy/Modern Burn really wants this. I like Rift Bolt over this still. Spectacle doesn't change timing restrictions, and there will be some "AH HA GOT YOU!" Moments, but I don't think it's consistent enough for Burn.
    Red Deck Weekly -- I'm bad at magic

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

From looking at all the lists there seems to be about 10 open spots all together that are fought between:

Sulfuric Vortex
    Searing Blaze
    Forked Bolt
    Grim Lavamancer
    Rift Bolt
    Bomat Courier

The question for SKTC is whether it should be included in the above discussion, and I think it should. It seems better than Rift Bolt on each turn other than the 1st (you have about a 40% chance of drawing into 1 of 4 rift bolts turn 1, and by turn 3 you have a 49+% of drawing into 1 of 4 rift bolts, which means that while rift bolt would be better turn 1 (and to be honest you would rather play one of your creatures), by turn 3 SKTC would already seem to be better 9 out of every 100 games simply by drawing into it). How to order the above cards is up to metagame and player choice IMO, but also IMO SKTC > Rift Bolt, but as my list made clear I also think Rift Bolt is a better include that the other cards on that list, so in the 10 open spots, I would include them both).

I did some math on the new card, Skewer the Critics. So I don't have to format the entire thing a second time, a link to what I've typed up is here: https://np.reddit.com/r/MTGLegacy/co...r_the_critics/

Overall, I definitely think that Skewer is worth testing. Probably in place of some of the flex slots at first. If it turns out to be really good, it can be a 4 of in the main deck. If it's sometimes awkward for you but still pretty good, consider cutting down to less than 4 copies, as multiple copies of Skewer in your hand aren't very good together.

I've played burn a long time, although most recently only online. Latley I've been doing pretty well. I think some of the recent bannings have really helped burn.
    When I have problems, it's usually because I'm flooded with mana or screwed out of it through bad draws, discard or whatever. When I loose games, it's generally not because I didn't have enough bolts. It's because they played something I couldn't answer....jitte, gristlebrand, some giant elderazi....
    I think 16 bolts is enough. I even take some out post board sometimes for ensnaring bridge or graffdiggers cage. I'm going to be testing this card, but in place of my rift bolts or lava spikes. I think I need my flex spots to be competitive.
    Just blasting away with damage to my opponent while ignoring the cards they play hasn't worked very well for me since like 1999.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by Ox411 View Post
    I've played burn a long time, although most recently only online. Latley I've been doing pretty well. I think some of the recent bannings have really helped burn.
    When I have problems, it's usually because I'm flooded with mana or screwed out of it through bad draws, discard or whatever. When I loose games, it's generally not because I didn't have enough bolts. It's because they played something I couldn't answer....jitte, gristlebrand, some giant elderazi....
    I think 16 bolts is enough. I even take some out post board sometimes for ensnaring bridge or graffdiggers cage. I'm going to be testing this card, but in place of my rift bolts or lava spikes. I think I need my flex spots to be competitive.
    Just blasting away with damage to my opponent while ignoring the cards they play hasn't worked very well for me since like 1999.
    I'm not hugely proficient with Burn, but I agree pretty much completely with this. I'm interested to try Light Up the Stage, but I don't really see any reason to double down on Bolts even further. With that said, I can see Skewer to be a good metagame choice or sideboard option against a lot of Chalices.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

yea i think for burn decks attacking on turn 3 and getting light up the stage into eidolon would be pretty great.
    -rob

I think both Skewer and Light Up are really good additions to the deck, what do you think of something like this?

19x Mountain

4x Goblin Guide
    4x Monastery Swiftspear
    4x Eidolon of the Great Revel

4x Lightning Bolt
    4x Chain Lightning
    4x Lava Spike
    4x Rift Bolt
    4x Skewer the Critics
    4x Fireblast
    3x Price of Progress
    2x Light Up the Stage

I would also like to play Risk Factor and Sulfuric Vortex but the flex slots aren't enough. What do you think? In my opinion playing 20x Bolt is too powerful to not do it.

Quote Originally Posted by alvoi View Post
    I think both Skewer and Light Up are really good additions to the deck, what do you think of something like this?

19x Mountain

4x Goblin Guide
    4x Monastery Swiftspear
    4x Eidolon of the Great Revel

4x Lightning Bolt
    4x Chain Lightning
    4x Lava Spike
    4x Rift Bolt
    4x Skewer the Critics
    4x Fireblast
    3x Price of Progress
    2x Light Up the Stage

I would also like to play Risk Factor and Sulfuric Vortex but the flex slots aren't enough. What do you think? In my opinion playing 20x Bolt is too powerful to not do it.
    I agree with almost all of your card choices. My deck looks a lot like yours. I run into so much discard and life gain when I play online, the risk factors and vortexes are really important to me.
    I'm considering dropping the risk factors for some skewer the critics....but hymn...thoughtseize...duress.inquisition of whatshisname.....lianna....its great to be able to play something from the graveyard.

Maybe you could move the prices to the sideboard? I don't know your meta, but in some matchups they are really dead cards. So without price and light up you have 5 flex slots, in which you can try 3 vortexes and 2 risk factors. What do you think?

Did anyone tested light up the stage I have found the card to be very good it is a four off one mana draw 2 is so good don't forget the effect doesn't end at this turn but next turn !!

May 2013
    Paris, France

Quote Originally Posted by adrieng View Post
    Did anyone tested light up the stage I have found the card to be very good it is a four off one mana draw 2 is so good don't forget the effect doesn't end at this turn but next turn !!
    What card did you cut ?

Here is what I am testing, I cut two firebolt one grim lavamancer and one vortex

// 60 Maindeck
    // 12 Creature
    4 Monastery Swiftspear
    4 Goblin Guide

// 1 Enchantment
    1 Sulfuric Vortex

// 14 Instant
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Price of Progress
    4 Fireblast
    2 Searing Blood

// 19 Land
    19 Mountain

// 14 Sorcery
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Lava Spike
    2 Rift Bolt
    4 Light Up the Stage

// 15 Sideboard
    // 4 Enchantment
    SB: 3 Pyrostatic Pillar
    SB: 1 Sulfuric Vortex

// 8 Instant
    SB: 4 Smash to Smithereens
    SB: 2 Mindbreak Trap
    SB: 2 Searing Blood

// 3 Land
    SB: 3 Karakas

Quote Originally Posted by adrieng View Post
    Here is what I am testing, I cut two firebolt one grim lavamancer and one vortex

2 Searing Blood
    2 Rift Bolt
    Why are you splitting 2/2 instead of 0/4? Rift Bolt is better almost always

Im all for card draw and card selection, but the thing that turns me off to light up the stage is that it cant possibly do any damage by itself.
    Risk factor often does 4 damage, even magma jet does 2 damage and let's you fiddle with your deck.
    It's a good effect, but I think the major thing that burn has going for it is that every single time I tap mana, my opponent either has to have an answer in hand or on the board in order to avoid damage.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I think the raw efficiency of how Burn enables LutS is what really tips the scales. Getting a draw 2 for R that lets you play both cards over 2 turns is incredible, making it so that drawing lands isn't even that bad. Because of that you can reliably start considering 3 mana cards without having to worry as much about hitting that 3rd land (I'm looking at you Sulfuric Vortex.) Multiple Fireblasts get significantly better, which is hands down the best burn spell in the deck based on raw efficiency. Then there's the sideboard implications; having a way to dig deeper for sideboard cards rather than 'hope I draw/topdeck it' is something Burn could really use, arguably the way to make it break through from tier 2.5-2 up to 1.5, maybe even tier 1 depending on how the metagame shapes up (spoiler: Burn has been doing well lately.) Spending the one mana and one card to potentially accelerate your plan, simply by sometimes giving up 3 damage for a turn, is perfectly reasonable given how slow the format is right now. Burn isn't about speed so much as raw consistency and power. Other decks are faster, other decks are better at controlling the board, and others are better at playing tempo. Take a deck like Burn with raw consistency and power (inevitability essentially) and give it a tool to leverage like Light up the Stage and it gets even better.

It's a good effect, but I think the major thing that burn has going for it is that every single time I tap mana, my opponent either has to have an answer in hand or on the board in order to avoid damage.
    Savvy blue players know which spells to counter and good burn players know you need to build up to a critical mass of plays in a single turn to break through that. Opponents know they can't avoid damage, so they use their life total as a resource knowing they just need to be at 1 while you are at 0 to win. If they don't know this rule then pretty much any burn list will steam roll them anyways. Better to make deckbuilding choices based on good players than bad ones
    Last edited by Mr. Safety; 01-30-2019 at 09:44 AM.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Light up the Stage also greatly enhances sideboard hate like Tormod's Crypt/Surgical and Mindbreak Trap. Dig two cards deeper, and even if you exhaust your mana (say doing a Bolt + LutS on T2) then you can still deploy what you find.

Edit: I guess there is a pro/con. Having Mindbreak/Surgical in exile means they are safe from discard. But there is then a time limit (by next turn) to use them if available this way. Hm.
    Last edited by square_two; 01-30-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

+1

Good catch.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Feb 2013
    Canada

Glad to see some discussion on here. I, for one, am pretty excited to start testing these new cards. Since the banning, I've been pretty tempted to move Price of Progress to the sideboard, at least for my local meta-game. I'll be testing something similar to this moving forward:

4 Goblin Guide
    4 Monastery Swiftspear
    4 Fireblast
    4 Lightning Bolt
    20 Mountain
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Lava Spike
    4 Rift Bolt
    4 Skewer the Critics
    4 Light Up the Stage

Sideboard: