Page 13 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Burn

Oct 2012
    Italy

Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

Please don't play simian spirit guid or other mana accelerators in burn. Our deck is already fast enough , all we need is consistency. Ask yourself this question : how many times i see just two lands in the entire game ? Now imagine if one of those lands was a spirit guide. This would mean that you can cast only a 2 mana spell during the game and then play very slowly with just one land.

You need stable mana to cast your spells. You need at least 2 lands to finish your opponents in a reasonable time. You can't gamble playing spirit guides hoping to accelerate your gameplan.... this lead just to inconsistency.

Jan 2010
    UK

exactly. why would you need acceleration in a deck with max casting cost 3cc (2-4 spells)???? you need fetches instead to maximize your filtering ability and to be getting only relevant spells (1st turn burn, 2turn burn, burn, 3turn burn, burn, burn)

JPettie - why would you even consider this RG spell? which enchantments you are having problem with?
    Last edited by AmokPL; 01-17-2014 at 09:17 AM.

Man versus nature is not a fair fight.
    Oct 2012
    New York

Quote Originally Posted by AmokPL View Post
    exactly. why would you need acceleration in a deck with max casting cost 3cc (2-4 spells)???? you need fetches instead to maximize your filtering ability and to be getting only relevant spells (1st turn burn, 2turn burn, burn, 3turn burn, burn, burn)

JPettie - why would you even consider this RG spell? which enchantments have you problem with?
    It would be primarily for dealing with Leyline of Sanctity, but it would double as Smash to Smithereens because it would take that spot in the side. This could be wrong though, and I will test first as always, never really do anything without testing. I really dislike losing to Wasteland, which is a real thing, so I probably will continue to ignore Leyline of Sanctity.

New toy for fetchless burn decks where Searing Blaze isn't optimal. Thoughts?

Mar 2012
    Northern PA

Quote Originally Posted by mustanggt50conv View Post

Maybe out of the sideboard. But like Searing Blaze, it's going to be dead in a number of match-ups.
    I'm Phil. I play red.

Worldslayer Count: 246. I need more.

MTGO: WorldslayerGuy I mostly play Limited.

Oct 2012
    Italy

Oh , i actually think that searing blood is better than searing blaze (wizard is not so creative in naming cards i guess XD ).

Given that i would play them in sideboard, when i board in searing blood to kill delver/mystic/deathrite/confidant i am sure that it is always a live card because it doesn't require landfall.
    Obviously searing blaze is better if you have to kill x/3 creatures ( but who plays wild nacatl anymore ? ) or if you want to play it main deck (just hit any creature and you guarantee 3 damages to the face also if the creature doesn't die), but i wouldn't play it main deck.

Feb 2013
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by JPettie View Post
    I am thinking about a small Taiga splash sideboard for Destructive Revelry, but I don't know if that is fully correct. It could however take the spot of Smash right now, it would need testing, which is what I like to do the most.
    I just played a 20 person tournament where another fellow Burn player made top 8 with two main deck Taigas and Destructive Revelry in the sideboard. With the amount of Delver decks right now, I'm not sure if I want to risk opening myself up to Wasteland, but Destructive Revelry looked pretty good against U/W Miracles playing Energy Field and Leyline of Sanctity.

Aug 2010
    Wichita Falls, Tx

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Hopkins View Post
    I just played a 20 person tournament where another fellow Burn player made top 8 with two main deck Taigas and Destructive Revelry in the sideboard. With the amount of Delver decks right now, I'm not sure if I want to risk opening myself up to Wasteland, but Destructive Revelry looked pretty good against U/W Miracles playing Energy Field and Leyline of Sanctity.
    I really like this idea, I may try it out.
    Current Decks with List:
    http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck_s...sult.asp?MDA=1
    My Dream: The Dojo Comics and Games
    http://www.gofundme.com/g754rg

Hello all and thank you for this great thread. I have enjoyed burn for sometime now. BUG delver match up is really hard for me, any idea to get it better? What to side in and out? My list is currently:

4 Goblin Guide
    4 Grim Lavamancer

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Lava Spike
    4 Flame Rift
    4 Price of Progress
    4 Rift Bolt
    3 Sulfuric Vortex
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Fireblast

9 Mountain
    3 Arid Mesa
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Bloodstained Mire

SB
    4x pyroblast (meta choise atm)
    3x smash to smithereens
    2x ensaring bridge
    2x searing blaze
    4x mindbreak trap/pyrostatic pillar (im thinking of cutting these cards for something else. I have tried storm match up and these cards just doesnt make it worth slots on side board)

So any ideas how to get bug delver match up better, what should i put on my sideboard if i remove storm hate?

Man versus nature is not a fair fight.
    Oct 2012
    New York

Quote Originally Posted by tuulisiipi View Post
    Hello all and thank you for this great thread. I have enjoyed burn for sometime now. BUG delver match up is really hard for me, any idea to get it better? What to side in and out? My list is currently:

4 Goblin Guide
    4 Grim Lavamancer

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Lava Spike
    4 Flame Rift
    4 Price of Progress
    4 Rift Bolt
    3 Sulfuric Vortex
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Fireblast

9 Mountain
    3 Arid Mesa
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Bloodstained Mire

SB
    4x pyroblast (meta choise atm)
    3x smash to smithereens
    2x ensaring bridge
    2x searing blaze
    4x mindbreak trap/pyrostatic pillar (im thinking of cutting these cards for something else. I have tried storm match up and these cards just doesnt make it worth slots on side board)

So any ideas how to get bug delver match up better, what should i put on my sideboard if i remove storm hate?
    I would most likely suggest taking out Flame Rift, at least when you sideboard against them. They are an aggro deck as well in some aspects and being able to turn their tide by hitting yourself for 4 can be really bad. I know some people may suggest Searing Blaze, but against the BUG variant, it will only be hitting the 4 of Delvers. If you are replacing your storm hate, I would suggest thinking about your graveyard hate suite, because currently you do not have any. Something like Tormod's Crypt can be very good against Dredge/Reanimator, and it can also come in against BUG as a 1-2 of, to keep their Nimble/Gofys smaller. Bridges are also a big part of this match up, but if they run Abrupt, which they can, it can make it pretty lackluster but at the same time, it is still relevant. If I take your current mainboard and fake a sideboard, I can give you an idea of a sideboarding plan below:
    -4 Flame Rift
    -3 Sulfuric Vortex
    +2 Ensnaring Bridge
    +2 Tormod's Crypt
    +3 Pyroblast

I would only agree to remove storm hate if your meta has no storm players, I find that match up to be very rough for burn. I have a positive record overall against storm with my deck and most of the time winning against them did not require a Mindbreak Trap because they usually go on the discard plan Game 2/3 anyway and are slower out of the gate. Although I still find it to be a very significant thing to have around, when it does work, it is a blow out against them.

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by JPettie View Post
    I would most likely suggest taking out Flame Rift, at least when you sideboard against them. They are an aggro deck as well in some aspects and being able to turn their tide by hitting yourself for 4 can be really bad. I know some people may suggest Searing Blaze, but against the BUG variant, it will only be hitting the 4 of Delvers. If you are replacing your storm hate, I would suggest thinking about your graveyard hate suite, because currently you do not have any. Something like Tormod's Crypt can be very good against Dredge/Reanimator, and it can also come in against BUG as a 1-2 of, to keep their Nimble/Gofys smaller. Bridges are also a big part of this match up, but if they run Abrupt, which they can, it can make it pretty lackluster but at the same time, it is still relevant. If I take your current mainboard and fake a sideboard, I can give you an idea of a sideboarding plan below:
    -4 Flame Rift
    -3 Sulfuric Vortex
    +2 Ensnaring Bridge
    +2 Tormod's Crypt
    +3 Pyroblast

I would only agree to remove storm hate if your meta has no storm players, I find that match up to be very rough for burn. I have a positive record overall against storm with my deck and most of the time winning against them did not require a Mindbreak Trap because they usually go on the discard plan Game 2/3 anyway and are slower out of the gate. Although I still find it to be a very significant thing to have around, when it does work, it is a blow out against them.
    Someone mentioned it before I guess, but Burn is a strong choice at the moment and by far the best aggro deck to play. (although there are not many/none :P)
    Consequently I am swithing back to Burn to beat the shit out of shitty Mystic and Delver decks.

Some thoughts about the Storm MU:
    I haven't run Mindbreak Trap and I won't use it because even a mediocre Storm player (I am one on my own.) will just use Duress, Probe+Therapy, Silence to disrupt the hand.
    And without Brainstorm, Ponder it is not possible to draw the Trap instantly. I use 4 Surgical Extractions to fight grave based decks and Storm which is partly also grave based (ANT).
    It is proactive and taking out Brainstorm is a big deal = best cantrip out + library shuffle after some manipulation by the Storm player. PiF is weakened by it too.
    My board looks like this:
    4 Surgical Extraction
    4 Blasts
    2 Searing Blaze
    2 Volcanic Fallout
    3 some random stuff I feel I need to play now (Pillar/StS/SSpree/Needle/...)
    WantToPonder
    former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
    Team MTG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by THerzog41 View Post
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm

I have been using a main deck taiga and then revelries out of the side since they dropped. It feels so good knowing that you can just play around with not getting the taiga and in g2/g3 they bring in leylines or get a batterskull and you aren't stone cold dead (obviously you could still get there, but it is very nice getting rid of the goalie).

jungle lion, good?...
    Mar 2010
    Isla de luzón de filipinas

Quote Originally Posted by mustanggt50conv View Post

Uhmmm... I'd still go for the landfall burn spell because it can still do 3 damage to your opponent even if you failed to kill the creature it targeted as compared to this one.
    TJB

http://deartiyopaeng.blogspot.com/ <---- (updated) MTG related blog. ^_^

TES: 102nd out of 2000 players at GP Kyoto 2015 (Legacy)

UR Storm: 37th of 950 players at GP Guangzhou 2016 (Modern)

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

I won a small Legacy with burn yesterday. Although lucky due to good opp-score.
    List was/is:
    4 Grim Lavamancer
    4 Goblin Guide
    4 LBolt
    4 CLightning
    4 RBolt
    4 LSpike
    4 Fireblast
    4 Price of Progress
    4 FRift
    4 SVortex
    9 Mountains
    11 fetchlands

4 Surgical Extraction
    5 Blasts (cut after the tournament to 2)
    4 Searing Blaze
    2 Volcanic Fallout

Matches were:
    Esperdeathblade 2-0
    Shardless BUG 2-0
    Esperstoneblade 1-2
    Elves 2-1
    WantToPonder
    Team MTG Berlin

Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm

Satyr firedancer , has anyone tested this guy yet??, for me this guy is playable at least in modern burn , imagine magical christmas land : Pop for 6 then bye bye tarmogoyfgoyf

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Basara View Post
    Satyr firedancer , has anyone tested this guy yet??, for me this guy is playable at least in modern burn , imagine magical christmas land : Pop for 6 then bye bye tarmogoyfgoyf
    Please, just don't propose this creature here. We are not mtg salvation.
    WantToPonder
    Team MTG Berlin

The Dragonstorm

Sucked it up and bought into Legacy on modo. Finally cashed in a Daily. Here's my list as of now:

4 Goblin Guide
    4 Grim Lavamancer
    2 Figure of Destiny

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Lava Spike
    4 Rift Bolt
    4 Flame Rift
    4 Price of Progress
    4 Fireblast
    2 Sulfuric Vortex

4 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Arid Mesa
    2 Wooded Foothills
    10 Mountain

SB:
    4 Surgical Extraction
    4 Searing Blaze
    3 Smash to Smithereens
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Pyrostatic Pillar

R1: Esper Deathblade (0-2)
    R2: UWR Delver (2-0)
    R3: UWR Delver (2-1)
    R4: Affinity (2-1)

Mar 2013
    Brazil

IMO, there's almost no reason to run Searing Blaze over Searing Blood. The latter is so much easier to profit from and versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by wooboy11 View Post
    IMO, there's almost no reason to run Searing Blaze over Searing Blood. The latter is so much easier to profit from and versatile.
    Well there is few very important reasons to run blaze over blood. One reason is that blaze has 2 targets, creature and player. If creature dies player still takes damage, with blood player takes no damge if creature dies before spell resolution. Second reason is that blaze is always guaranteed damage to player if it resolves. Example, you top deck blaze and only creature is 4/5 tarmogoy and opponent at 3 life. Nice searing blood :)

Mar 2013
    Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by tuulisiipi View Post
    Well there is few very important reasons to run blaze over blood. One reason is that blaze has 2 targets, creature and player. If creature dies player still takes damage, with blood player takes no damge if creature dies before spell resolution. Second reason is that blaze is always guaranteed damage to player if it resolves. Example, you top deck blaze and only creature is 4/5 tarmogoy and opponent at 3 life. Nice searing blood :)
    It sure can happen, but I mean, as a sideboard card, it shouldn't happen often. I used to run only 2 blazes on the SB, and I never had to use it just for the player's damage, but I see your point. I just think that a situation such as drawing a blaze mid game, with no lands in hand against an active DRS/flipped delver happens more often.

Thread Information