Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 1647

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Burn

  1. #41

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    Quote Originally Posted by SBGpinas View Post
    Because Needle Drop is bad for 2 reasons:

    1. It never does damage on it's own. It relies on your other spells for it to do any damage, making it a terrible top deck.
    2. Cantrips, whether free or not, are bad in general for Burn. If free Cantrips like Gitaxian Probe are bad, what more a Cantrip that isn't free?

    The reason why Cantrips are bad in Burn is that for a linear deck like Burn, Threat Density (i.e. the ratio of threats to the total number of cards in the deck) is important. In order to maintain Threat Density, Lands will need to be cut in order to make room for Cantrips. If you cut lands, you will find you mulligan more often since ideally you would want at least 2 lands in your opening 7. Having to mulligan more often basically negates the perceived deck-thinning and "improved" card draw quality that Cantrips are supposed to provide.
    What you say about cantrips it is true. "Threat Density" it is key to consistency, and therefore, to win in a Burn Deck.

    But now I'm testing Gitaxian Probe, and it surprise me. It allows you to take off cards that you don't wanna to use, like Incinerate; and more important, see the hand of your opponent, showing you how to play, which is crucial against RUG, BUG, and Death and Taxes. For reference, I run now 20 lands (7 mountain, 12 Fetchland, and 1 Barbarian Ring), and it's working very smoth.

    Quote Originally Posted by JPettie View Post
    Considering your meta as you said it is the most I can work with and I will attempt to give reasoning for everything I suggest as follows.

    I will evaluate your concerns in steps of each rampant deck in your meta that you have described.

    "Storm-combo"

    This matchup is always dire in my opinion, you have to hope to do enough damage to make it hard for them to cast Ad Nauseam or have the Mindbreak Trap and hope they don't have the silence as an answer. They are simply quicker than you most times. I can see reason for your 3 main-board Pyrostatic Pillars, but they will be dead in a lot of match-ups where you could have cast a more relevant spell. Usually a storm deck can go off turn 1 and if you don't have the Mindbreak Trap because you kept a hand with Pyrostatic Pillar then you would be dead in the water. Storm has many variants and I would consider which Storm is local to your meta, if it is Belcher, than I would consider Reroute as a sideboard option, along with Ingot Chewer as a way to stop them if they get risky and play the Belcher a turn before they can activate it. I would consider the amount of hate you put into your deck versus 1 deck type if you want to still not be losing to other archetypes.

    "UW Miracles"

    The match-up here is determined by what you mean by the deck name, and I would assume it is some sort of counter-top archetype, but I could be wrong. In the terms of it being what I assume it is, I would suggest some number of Vexing Shusher because a top with counterbalance can be very hard to beat as a Burn deck. I would also consider disrupting their Sensei's Divining Tops with Ingot Chewer because it is uncounter-able. Running a card like Ensnaring Bridge if their way of winning is a miracle angel variant can be very hard for them to deal with other than their usual 1 of Detention Sphere. With Vexing Shushers the match-up can often be much more favorable for you because they are usually a slower deck that relies on countering everything you do, without that plan, they lose the race to your combo deck.

    "RUG"

    I would assume this match-up is why you are running a lot of board wipers, especially uncounter-able ones at that, and why there are a lot of blasts in your sideboard. I don't mind this and I think it could be the correct way to deal with the match-up, playing around their counters and not running fetches making their Stifles dead. I don't have much advice on this match-up and I think you are correct in your choices.

    "Sneak'n'Show"

    This match-up is also very hard to deal with, referencing the storm match-up. I would suggest some number of Ensnaring Bridge or something like Angel of Despair to deal with their Show and Tells, along with some number of Pithing Needle to stop their Sneak Attack. Pithing Needle can also be very good against a lot of miscellaneous cards in Legacy and a decent 2 of in a sideboard. I play test against a Sneak'n'Show deck myself with Burn and I find their plan against Burn is to take out Show and Tell and put in Through the Breach if they know you are running Ensnaring Bridge. The match-up is not an easy one but if you can resolve a Ensnaring Bridge it can be very hard for them to win. I am still not sure if 4 of Sulfuric Vortex is the right number, I currently run 3 and I find that when they lay down a Griselbrand and you have Sulfuric Vortex they just simply can't draw cards or they will lose to a Fireblast. I find Sulfuric Vortex to also be very good in this match-up.

    Other "modest" amounts of decks

    I find Burn has a good match-up against a lot of the ones you have mentioned and you can choose whether to include other cards you notice that might be good against those decks, but usually if you can clear their creatures from the board or resolve an Ensnaring Bridge or Sulfuric Vortex, it can be very hard for them to win. Ingot Chewer is also especially good against cards like Batterskull and Umezawa's Jitte.

    Concerning suggestions given

    I would only consider fetches and Grim Lavamancer if your meta is heavy on creature based decks or tribal decks where it would be very efficient to run and also run some number of Searing Blaze, but with the meta you described, and considering RUG being around, I like the idea of running just basic mountains and speed to keep your deck well rounded against all the quicker decks like storm and not have dead draws or lose a Mountain to Stifle. Barbarian Ring can definitely win games and is good sometimes, but I find it pretty hard to run when it loses to Stifle and Wasteland in a deck that wants to be as efficient as possible and take advantage of that fact by running just basics and making your opponents cards dead. It can be especially contradictory to the strategy of Burn when you reach the awkward moment when you can't cast your first or second Fireblast off it and lose a game because of it. I can definitely see reason for playing it but I like to be very precise and safe when creating a competitive deck-list.

    I will leave you with a suggestive deck-list according to your concerns and good luck playing Burn!

    Mainboard:

    4 Goblin Guide
    4 Hellspark Elemental

    4 Sulfuric Vortex

    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Flame Rift
    4 Lava Spike
    4 Rift Bolt

    4 Price of Progress
    4 Fireblast
    4 Lightning Bolt

    20 Mountain


    Sideboard:

    4 Mindbreak Trap
    3 Vexing Shusher
    3 Ingot Chewer
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Pithing Needle
    Nice recomendations. You are like Good Greg Guy.

  2. #42
    get outta here, humanity.
    iamajellydonut's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2009
    Location

    Butugychag
    Posts

    2,042

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    Quote Originally Posted by EdsonDettoni View Post
    It allows you to take off cards that you don't wanna to use, like Incinerate
    If this is an issue, you're doing it wrong.

  3. #43

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    If this is an issue, you're doing it wrong.
    Gonna have to agree with this one.

    There is no reason to be running sub-optimal Burn spells like Incinerate. Beyond the 16 3-for-1 burn spells, PoP, Fireblast, 4 GG and 4 GLM, here are some cards that are way better than Incinerate:

    1. Flame Rift - Deals 4 damage. Sucks vs. Aggro, but it's usually a non-issue if you play your cards right
    2. Sulfuric Vortex - A great win-con when it resolves against control. Shuts down life-gain.
    3. Skullcrack - Same damage-to-mana ratio as Incincerate, but Shuts down life-gain and damage prevention effects (like COP:Red, Energy Field, Sphere of Law, etc.)
    4. Keldon Marauders - 5 potential damage for 2 mana, can trade with opposing weenies
    5. Hellspark Elemental - Hellbent
    6. Searing Blaze - In a fair-deck meta, this is just awesome. Forces you to run fetchlands for optimal use though

    Neither one of the options I have enumerated are bad enough to cut for Cantrip Spells.

    If you find you are still running bad cards in Burn, then you will really need to re-evaluate if Burn is the right deck for you.

  4. #44

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    If this is an issue, you're doing it wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by SBGpinas View Post
    Gonna have to agree with this one.

    There is no reason to be running sub-optimal Burn spells like Incinerate. Beyond the 16 3-for-1 burn spells, PoP, Fireblast, 4 GG and 4 GLM, here are some cards that are way better than Incinerate:

    1. Flame Rift - Deals 4 damage. Sucks vs. Aggro, but it's usually a non-issue if you play your cards right
    2. Sulfuric Vortex - A great win-con when it resolves against control. Shuts down life-gain.
    3. Skullcrack - Same damage-to-mana ratio as Incincerate, but Shuts down life-gain and damage prevention effects (like COP:Red, Energy Field, Sphere of Law, etc.)
    4. Keldon Marauders - 5 potential damage for 2 mana, can trade with opposing weenies
    5. Hellspark Elemental - Hellbent
    6. Searing Blaze - In a fair-deck meta, this is just awesome. Forces you to run fetchlands for optimal use though

    Neither one of the options I have enumerated are bad enough to cut for Cantrip Spells.

    If you find you are still running bad cards in Burn, then you will really need to re-evaluate if Burn is the right deck for you.
    You were right about it. "Threat Density" is the real problem. I choose to play Skullcrack. Its the better option in the meta.

    This is my list wirth Grim Lavamancer, and I think it is the best I can do for Burn now.


    8 Mountain
    4 Arid Mesa
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Wooded Foothills
    1 Barbarian Ring

    4 Goblin Guide
    3 Grim Lavamancer

    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Lava Spike
    4 Rift Bolt
    4 Price of Progress
    3 Fireblast

    4 Searing Blaze
    2 Skullcrack
    3 Sulfuric Vortex

  5. #45
    get outta here, humanity.
    iamajellydonut's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2009
    Location

    Butugychag
    Posts

    2,042

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    Quote Originally Posted by EdsonDettoni View Post
    Honestly, there are far better options for either of these. Searing Blaze is insanely risky in the mainboard. You can't even do neat tricks like targeting your own Goblin Guide. If they don't have a creature, it's a dead card. If you don't have a land, it's a dead card.

    Flame Rift, Flamebreak/Volcanic Fallout, Keldon Marauders, and Smash to Smithereens are all infinitely better options in so many ways.

  6. #46
    Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Dice_Box's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2013
    Location

    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.
    Posts

    4,810

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    Going to jump in here for the first time.

    Playing my new deck last night showed me something important. With Deathrite Shaman such a cheap, common card these days (by cheap I mean in mana cost) I think Keldon Marauders is not really worth the drop. I mean you're going to deal 2 damage at least but they are going to get that back if you do not answer the Shaman and you're not always going to hit for the 3 on the attack. I think for the time being this slot is better used by another burn spell. Its going to have more impact.

    I tired Searing Blaze as well, I will trade them out for Volcanic Fallout as soon as they arrive. Skullcrack I think has promise tho. I mean in a meta that has Jitte, Batterskull and STP (on ones of critters to stay alive) Skullcrack can really do some damage. Not sure what I would cut for it but I do really think it is a good choice if your Meta suits it.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

  7. #47

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    Honestly, there are far better options for either of these. Searing Blaze is insanely risky in the mainboard. You can't even do neat tricks like targeting your own Goblin Guide. If they don't have a creature, it's a dead card. If you don't have a land, it's a dead card.

    Flame Rift, Flamebreak/Volcanic Fallout, Keldon Marauders, and Smash to Smithereens are all infinitely better options in so many ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Going to jump in here for the first time.

    Playing my new deck last night showed me something important. With Deathrite Shaman such a cheap, common card these days (by cheap I mean in mana cost) I think Keldon Marauders is not really worth the drop. I mean you're going to deal 2 damage at least but they are going to get that back if you do not answer the Shaman and you're not always going to hit for the 3 on the attack. I think for the time being this slot is better used by another burn spell. Its going to have more impact.

    I tired Searing Blaze as well, I will trade them out for Volcanic Fallout as soon as they arrive. Skullcrack I think has promise tho. I mean in a meta that has Jitte, Batterskull and STP (on ones of critters to stay alive) Skullcrack can really do some damage. Not sure what I would cut for it but I do really think it is a good choice if your Meta suits it.
    I agree with @Dice_Box. Meta is have lots of gain life choices. That's why Skullcrack and Sulfuric Vortex are vere good options.

    About Searing Blaze, it is not that hard to cast it. The only problem sometimes it is when the fetchland gets stifled. Just a few decks do not use creatures. Why do not use this card in maindeck? Ali Aintrazi did, for example.

    ***

    How is your list, @Dice_Box?

  8. #48
    Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Dice_Box's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2013
    Location

    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.
    Posts

    4,810

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    Deck as it stands is a rather basic affair. I have ordered some Grims mostly to deal with Critters. I do not like using spells on critters if I do not absolutely have to.


    4 Goblin Guide

    4 Sulfuric Vortex

    4 Fireblast
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Price of Progress
    4 Volcanic Fallout

    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Flame Rift
    4 Lava Spike
    4 Rift Bolt

    20 Mountain


    //Sideboard
    SB: 4 Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 2 Faerie Macabre
    SB: 3 Pyrostatic Pillar
    SB: 2 Smash to Smithereens
    SB: 4 Vexing Shusher


    The sideboard changes often, the only card I have grown attached too is Vexing. An uncounterable Price is a funny thing to see. Also I hate CotV so much when playing this.
    I want Grim in, will likely cut Volcanic and test that.
    I would like more grave hate in there. Will look at that later. As it stands this is what I have. Nothing fancy, but it does the trick.

    Last, if Skullcrack does go in, I think Flame rift will likely come out as a test. Unless CotV on one becomes a big issue and then I will drop a Lava Spike for it.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

  9. #49
    Man versus nature is not a fair fight.
    JPettie's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2012
    Location

    New York
    Posts

    38

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Deck as it stands is a rather basic affair. I have ordered some Grims mostly to deal with Critters. I do not like using spells on critters if I do not absolutely have to.


    4 Goblin Guide

    4 Sulfuric Vortex

    4 Fireblast
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Price of Progress
    4 Volcanic Fallout

    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Flame Rift
    4 Lava Spike
    4 Rift Bolt

    20 Mountain


    //Sideboard
    SB: 4 Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 2 Faerie Macabre
    SB: 3 Pyrostatic Pillar
    SB: 2 Smash to Smithereens
    SB: 4 Vexing Shusher


    The sideboard changes often, the only card I have grown attached too is Vexing. An uncounterable Price is a funny thing to see. Also I hate CotV so much when playing this.
    I want Grim in, will likely cut Volcanic and test that.
    I would like more grave hate in there. Will look at that later. As it stands this is what I have. Nothing fancy, but it does the trick.

    Last, if Skullcrack does go in, I think Flame rift will likely come out as a test. Unless CotV on one becomes a big issue and then I will drop a Lava Spike for it.
    If you are going to run Grims, would have to run quite a few Fetches as well to really power them. I would suggest Ingot Chewer if you are having problems with Chalice of the Void. It is an uncounterable way to deal with any artifact that gives you trouble and only costs R. I want to test Vexing Shusher more, I run only 3 right now, I am wondering if it would be a good idea to go to 4 just to beat the counter match ups. I don't like committing too many sweepers or creature removal to the mainboard incase of playing storm or other decks that just don't care about it, I might actually go to 4 Ensnaring, at 3 right now, not sure if 4 would be better against Sneak n Show. I would suggest against taking out Flame Rift, I find this card is very vital to Burn and most people tend to just ignore it or stay away from it because of its downside, but it really is a strong card and can be played under a Chalice lock on 1. I would also suggest going to Mindbreak Trap over Pyrostatic Pillar because of the matches where they just kill you turn 1.

    On a weird note:
    Can you respond to Chalice of the Void Trigger when casting a card for R, and pay Vexing to make it uncounterable and it resolves?

  10. #50

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    Quote Originally Posted by JPettie View Post
    On a weird note:
    Can you respond to Chalice of the Void Trigger when casting a card for R, and pay Vexing to make it uncounterable and it resolves?
    Yup. In resp. to the chalice trigger, activate shusher and your spell will still resolve (assuming opponent does have another response- stifle/another counter.) This also works through Counterbalance in similar fashion.

  11. #51
    get outta here, humanity.
    iamajellydonut's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2009
    Location

    Butugychag
    Posts

    2,042

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    Quote Originally Posted by JPettie View Post
    I would suggest Ingot Chewer if you are having problems with Chalice of the Void. It is an uncounterable way to deal with any artifact that gives you trouble and only costs R.
    Ingot Chewer is still very counterable. The difference is that it can't be countered by Chalice. Under that criteria, Shattering Spree can't be countered by Chalice either, and Smash to Smithereens dodges Chalice set at 1. Both of which I'd rank far higher than Ingot Chewer.

    Quote Originally Posted by JPettie View Post
    I would also suggest going to Mindbreak Trap over Pyrostatic Pillar because of the matches where they just kill you turn 1.
    Agreed. I'd call Pyrostatic Pillar more of a relic from when TEPS still existed (Extended) and Ad Nauseum was more popular. Another plus of Mindbreak Trap is that it can situationally deal with things like Reanimator and is an outright hard counter to things like Belcher. Both of which Pyrostatic Pillar is utterly inept at combating.

  12. #52
    jungle lion, good?...
    paeng4983's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2010
    Location

    Isla de luzón de filipinas
    Posts

    438

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    I participated in a 5 rounder legacy last week and my MUs were

    Nicfit 2-0 He lost due to he could not find enough lands for him to cast his threats.
    dredge 2-0 I was just lucky here. He did not have enough creatures to cast DR.
    Junk 2-0 I spent all my burn spells at his life points.
    oops all spell deck 2-1 An opening Surgical Extraction did it for me.
    Sneakyshow 0-2 Grisel and Emrakul were to much for burn to handle.

    I used 4 Skullcrack and 4 Sulfuric Vortex in my main deck because sneaky show and/ or omnitell are getting more rampant in my meta.
    TJB

    http://deartiyopaeng.blogspot.com/ <---- (updated) MTG related blog. ^_^

    TES: 102nd out of 2000 players at GP Kyoto 2015 (Legacy)

    UR Storm: 37th of 950 players at GP Guangzhou 2016 (Modern)

  13. #53
    Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Dice_Box's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2013
    Location

    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.
    Posts

    4,810

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    Do you run Ensnaring Bridge in your sideboard? I know it does not stop Griselbrand as a draw engine but it stops Sneak and Show from wiping you from the face of the earth. Also if Sneak attack is SnT'ed in you can drop Bridge on the SnT. Bridge also works well against decks that are critter heavy. It is funny to see a Batterskull on a Mystic that is dead in the water.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

  14. #54
    jungle lion, good?...
    paeng4983's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2010
    Location

    Isla de luzón de filipinas
    Posts

    438

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Do you run Ensnaring Bridge in your sideboard? I know it does not stop Griselbrand as a draw engine but it stops Sneak and Show from wiping you from the face of the earth. Also if Sneak attack is SnT'ed in you can drop Bridge on the SnT. Bridge also works well against decks that are critter heavy. It is funny to see a Batterskull on a Mystic that is dead in the water.
    Yes I did. In fact, I was able to resolved one during my game vs. the sneaky show but unfortunately for me, it got bounced by an echoing truth and the tag team champion (emrakul and grisel) went for the kill after that.

    ^_^
    TJB

    http://deartiyopaeng.blogspot.com/ <---- (updated) MTG related blog. ^_^

    TES: 102nd out of 2000 players at GP Kyoto 2015 (Legacy)

    UR Storm: 37th of 950 players at GP Guangzhou 2016 (Modern)

  15. #55

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    Pyrostaic pillar might be a good board choice for people considering this deck in current meta. I think it may even be good against OmniTell (untested).

    List I may run

    Goblin guide 4
    Grim Lavamancer 4
    Vexing devil 4

    Lightning bolt 4
    Chain lightning 4
    Rift Bolt 4
    Lava Spike 4
    price of progress 4
    fireblast 4
    searing blaze 2
    sulfuric vortex 2

    8 mountain
    12 fetch


    Side
    Pyrostatic pillar 4
    Rebs/pyroblast 4
    ensnairing bridge 3
    dismember 2
    searing blaze 1
    sulfuric vortex 1


    Dismember may be the most odd choice, however, in my experience its pretty effective against a variety of deck where early life loss is really irrelevant and decks with "kill on site creatures" (stoneblade, mud, mav ). I also think it may be effective against Goyf disruption decks (Team america and Rug) if burn has a slow start or hit a wall of counter spells backed by Goyf. Feedback appreciated.

  16. #56
    get outta here, humanity.
    iamajellydonut's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2009
    Location

    Butugychag
    Posts

    2,042

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    Quote Originally Posted by Strassbaw View Post
    Pyrostaic pillar might be a good board choice for people considering this deck in current meta. I think it may even be good against OmniTell (untested).
    Pyrostatic Pillar is honestly has-been trash. Which is depressing since it's such a fun card, but it's the truth. What deck honestly gives a crap about it? Even ANT doesn't care. OmniTell especially doesn't care about Pyrostatic Pillar and can bounce it in as little as four damage. Now, you may be thinking "wow! at least four damage! that's super efficient for 2cc!", but keep in mind that you just lost the game regardless.

    If you actually need a solution to things that you can't deal with, you call upon heaping amounts of REBs and Mindbreak Trap. Both of which work against OmniTells and both of which are actual insurance against "losing". More specifically against OmniTell is Sudden Shock.

    Quote Originally Posted by Strassbaw View Post
    Dismember may be the most odd choice, however, in my experience its pretty effective against a variety of deck where early life loss is really irrelevant and decks with "kill on site creatures" (stoneblade, mud, mav ). I also think it may be effective against Goyf disruption decks (Team america and Rug) if burn has a slow start or hit a wall of counter spells backed by Goyf. Feedback appreciated.
    Also, not a great choice. Your solution to decks that hope to beat you before you can beat them is to "beat them harder". Ensnaring Bridge is great against Sneak 'n' Show because it wins the game. Sun Droplet is great in mirror because it wins the game. Dismember and kin just delay the game at the cost of you not smacking them in the face for damage. In fact, with Dismember specifically, you lose four life. I'm not entirely sure how that's a cost efficient way to deal with Tarmogoyf especially considering it can still get countered. If you really want something in that slot, you'd probably fair better with Flame Slash as your go-to option option. Though, it still stands that Searing Blaze is generally better and/or just use Volcanic Fallout to deal with the smaller bodies like Delver and Confidant and Deathrite and Stoneforge and Stuff.

  17. #57
    Psycho Crusher
    Plague Sliver's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2010
    Location

    The 'Jing
    Posts

    492

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    Ensnaring bridge is pretty sweet technology.

    I also agree that Skullcrack and Searing Blaze are not maindeckable.
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction" // Conversations with Magic players: "Humans of Magic"

  18. #58

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    @ iamajellydonut and Plague Sliver

    Thanks for the advise. I have redone my list because of what you both have said and some of what I have read. Here is the updated list:

    Goblin guide 4
    Grim Lavamancer 4
    Vexing devil 4

    Lightning bolt 4
    Chain lightning 4
    Rift Bolt 4
    Lava Spike 4
    price of progress 4
    fireblast 4
    Flame Rift 4

    8 mountain
    12 fetch


    Side
    Mindbreak trap or Pyrostatic pillar 3
    Rebs/pyroblast 3
    ensnairing bridge 3
    searing blaze 3
    sulfuric vortex 3


    I had a bad memory about playing searing blaze. Even in decks were its effective, its awkward. Main deck seems like a bad call. No Vortex main is my big fear, however, esperblade seems to be more often than not esper Deathblade, and searing blaze with vortex in board should be enough to win me that match.

    Im not sold on Mindbreak trap just yet. Its def a better choice for tendrils and belcher, but is this card really going to be a good board in choice against OmniTell as I feel Pillar would be (Within my list and I have nothing Heavy to put in with S&T besides 3 ensnairing bridges which may not be enough).

    From here my questions are:
    Is burn a strong match up against elves to forget about pillar.
    Is mindbreak trap a real solution to Omnitell
    Is having 3 hate cards specifically for each deck enough to win bad match ups (Like reanimator, bridge and reb may not be enough. Iona is some bullshit!)

    Big legacy day tomorrow! Wish me luck and any feedback will be helpful!

    Thanks again!

  19. #59
    get outta here, humanity.
    iamajellydonut's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2009
    Location

    Butugychag
    Posts

    2,042

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    Quote Originally Posted by Strassbaw View Post
    Im not sold on Mindbreak trap just yet. Its def a better choice for tendrils and belcher, but is this card really going to be a good board in choice against OmniTell as I feel Pillar would be (Within my list and I have nothing Heavy to put in with S&T besides 3 ensnairing bridges which may not be enough).

    From here my questions are:
    Is burn a strong match up against elves to forget about pillar.
    Is mindbreak trap a real solution to Omnitell
    Is having 3 hate cards specifically for each deck enough to win bad match ups (Like reanimator, bridge and reb may not be enough. Iona is some bullshit!)
    First off, let me grind something in... Nothing Burn can do really solves combo. Or aggro. Or other burn decks. That's one of the big reasons Burn isn't a viable tournament deck. You deal 3 to the face and hope they die first. The only way to actually deal with an opposing deck is to remove cards from your "GOD PLEASE LET ME GET THERE" barrage to simply slow them down. Burn isn't a competitive deck. Just a reliable budget one.

    Anyway, Mindbreak Trap is easily the tech of choice. I'm not going to go through the effort of typing it out because it's 1am, I just got back from work, I don't care, and it's a moot point. Pyrostatic Pillar does nothing. It will not win you any game that you wouldn't stand a good chance of winning anyway. Again, OmniShow doesn't give a shit about Pyrostatic Pillar. They don't use their life as a resource, so they can just plan around it and kill you regardless. On the other side of the field, if they cantrip or do whatever inbetween Dreamhalls/Omniscience and Enter the Infinite, Mindbreak Trap can at least be cast.

    Quote Originally Posted by Strassbaw View Post
    Vexing devil 4

    Side
    sulfuric vortex 3
    Vexing Devil is awful. It's not worth the risk of giving your opponent a choice. Sure, you may look at it and say "well either way I get something good!", but you really don't. You're expected to get 3-4 damage per card anyway. If your opponent chooses to take the damage, it's not like it really differs from the norm.

    With regards to the other option... Creatures on your side generally suck dick. No matter what your opponent sideboards out, they will never take out Goyfs. They will never take out Cliques. They will never take out Delvers. They will never take out Batterskulls. They will never take out Mom. They will never take out Lightning Bolt. They won't even take out basic chump-blockers like Snapcaster. Vexing Devil enables a great host of cards to effectively be counterspells and transforms otherwise dead removal such as Swords to Plowshares into relevant tech.

    In the meantime, Sulfuric Vortex is house and should always be 3x Mainboard. Always. It wins you games you have no business winning with staggering consistency. The only reason you usually don't run 4x Mainboard is because 3cc is really high.

    So, bam. That change would make room for one more card in the mainboard and two more card in the sideboard assuming you keep a fourth copy of Sulfuric Vortex there. Burn is a very cut-and-dry deck with not a lot of room for variation. It's a deck based simply around numbers. It my seem like I'm pushing you towards a copied list or whatever you want to call it, but it's because that's all there is. Really, the only room for personalization is how much you like Grim Lavamancer and how much you like Fireblast.

  20. #60
    Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Dice_Box's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2013
    Location

    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.
    Posts

    4,810

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

    Quote Originally Posted by Plague Sliver View Post
    Ensnaring bridge is pretty sweet technology.

    I also agree that Skullcrack and Searing Blaze are not maindeckable.
    I disagree on Skullcrack. It costs a bit more than some other cards, but it really does throw a spanner in the works of Blade decks and they are getting common enough to think about Maindeck answers for them.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)