Page 31 of 88 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Burn

Feb 2013
    Canada

Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    So, I took my White/Red Burn deck to another Legacy tournament, and went 4-0, winning it for the second time in a row. This time the matchups were against a wider variety of decks.
    What's the advantage of splashing white instead of green for Destructive Revelry?

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Hopkins View Post
    What's the advantage of splashing white instead of green for Destructive Revelry?
    Boros Charm, basically.

Well, that, and the fact that Erase or Wear // Tear nuke enchantments for only W, which leaves you more room to keep burning at the same time. Or, and this is sometimes critical, have a R for a Red Blast to defend your removal.

You could also use Lightning Helix for the mirror, I guess, but that seems like really terrible idea. :)

Jun 2012
    pa

Depending on your meta, you can also run O-ring in yourside board, and hard cast it from your hand for additional artifact/enchantment hate, and its decent against show and tell decks as well.

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

I've been seeing Burn everywhere lately. What's happening?
    ''The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.'' Lord Eddard Stark - A Game of Thrones

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

Jun 2012
    pa

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Froggy View Post
    I've been seeing Burn everywhere lately. What's happening?
    Meta shift, burn is in a really good place right now.

Quote Originally Posted by xieyun006 View Post
    Depending on your meta, you can also run O-ring in yourside board, and hard cast it from your hand for additional artifact/enchantment hate, and its decent against show and tell decks as well.
    O-Ring is legitimate hate for Show and Tell, but I don't like it because it's so utterly narrow. 3 mana is a pretty tall order in a burn deck, and so you're almost never going to get any use out of it except when it's in your hand and they go for Show and Tell. I prefer making the deck fast enough to demand that they have to combo out in the first three turns or lose, and then board into the quad Red Blast plan. Blasts are more versatile anyway.

Jun 2012
    pa

O-Ring is legitimate hate for Show and Tell, but I don't like it because it's so utterly narrow. 3 mana is a pretty tall order in a burn deck, and so you're almost never going to get any use out of it except when it's in your hand and they go for Show and Tell. I prefer making the deck fast enough to demand that they have to combo out in the first three turns or lose, and then board into the quad Red Blast plan. Blasts are more versatile anyway.
    I agree thats why I stopped playing O-ring...well I stoped playing the white in burn. When I started playing burn that was my mindset as well, forcing your opponents to race, but after a while, I realized that sometimes you just have to chill out and play a little differently. Have you tried any of the combo decks in Legacy? They might be up your ally, super fast clock, minimal interaction.

I agree thats why I stopped playing O-ring...well I stoped playing the white in burn. When I started playing burn that was my mindset as well, forcing your opponents to race, but after a while, I realized that sometimes you just have to chill out and play a little differently. Have you tried any of the combo decks in Legacy? They might be up your ally, super fast clock, minimal interaction.
    These are the only Legacy decks I've played to any degree:

The Gate (my old standby, sadly sucks donkey in this meta)
    Maverick
    Elves (love it, now it's mad popular though)
    Oops all Spells
    UWR Delver
    Burn

So it's a pretty broad meta. When I'm talking about racing in burn, I'm considering that to be a legitimate answer to a format where the top dog is basically a slower version of burn with virtually the same creature base + Delver.

Feb 2013
    Canada

What does everyone think about Dualcaster Mage?

What does everyone think about Dualcaster Mage?
    Love the card in general, can't see what a creature that costs 3 mana and requires something else to be going on to be playable works at all in Burn.

Love the card in general, can't see what a creature that costs 3 mana and requires something else to be going on to be playable works at all in Burn.
    He's hilarious with Feldon of the Third Path, though. Though, that isn't a very good card except for shenanigans.

Was wondering what everybody thought about possibly placing Pithing Needle in the flex spot for the board? I know it's been glanced over in several different articles but nobody seems to be willing to try it out. Possible answer to Sneak Attack with Ensnaring Bridge for Show and Tell, as well as against miracles naming Sensei's Divining Top to help slow them down. I saw people trying Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast for these decks, but this seems like it would end in a counter war which may or may not be better. Pithing Needle also seems like it would be able to hit more of a variety of decks. Trash, decent, or ermagerhd?

Jun 2012
    pa

So what are we packing for storm hate now a days? or is the four eidolon maindeck enough?

With the strong push for UR Delver to drop countermagic for more Burn, is Burn w/ Cruise not just stronger? This opens up Volcanic Fallout.

4 Goblin Guide
    4 Monastery Swiftspear
    4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
    --12 THREAT

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Lava Spike
    4 Rift Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Price of Progress
    4 Fireblast
    2 Volcanic Fallout
    --26 BURN

3 Treasure Cruise
    0 Gitaxian Probe
    --3 DRAW

4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Arid Mesa
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    6 Mountain
    2 Volcanic Island
    --19 MANA

4 Searing Blaze
    2 Searing Blood
    2 Sulfuric Vortex
    2 Smash to Smithereens
    2 Pyrostatic Pillar
    2 Volcanic Fallout
    1 Null Rod
    --15 SIDEBOARD

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Quote Originally Posted by Annie Bot View Post
    Was wondering what everybody thought about possibly placing Pithing Needle in the flex spot for the board? I know it's been glanced over in several different articles but nobody seems to be willing to try it out. Possible answer to Sneak Attack with Ensnaring Bridge for Show and Tell, as well as against miracles naming Sensei's Divining Top to help slow them down. I saw people trying Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast for these decks, but this seems like it would end in a counter war which may or may not be better. Pithing Needle also seems like it would be able to hit more of a variety of decks. Trash, decent, or ermagerhd?
    Pithing Needle was and still is my first choice in the flexspot. It's pretty good against Planeswalkers, SDT, DRS, Thespian's Stage etc etc. And yes, it has a broader use against more decks

So what are we packing for storm hate now a days? or is the four eidolon maindeck enough?
    After some goldfishing I would like to have some more cards in my SB against Storm, but it's tight as it is... Just aggressive mulling to Eidolon of the Great Revel, and Relic of Progenitus out of the board.

Still not sure if I want to splash Green for Destructive Revelry? Opinions?

Jun 2012
    pa

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    Pithing Needle was and still is my first choice in the flexspot. It's pretty good against Planeswalkers, SDT, DRS, Thespian's Stage etc etc. And yes, it has a broader use against more decks

After some goldfishing I would have some more cards in my SB against Storm, but it's tight as it is... Just aggressive mulling to Eidolon of the Great Revel, and Relic of Progenitus out of the board.

Still not sure if I want to splash Green for Destructive Revelry? Opinions?
    What would revelry do for the storm match up? I was going to splash green for revelry but decided against it because the decks that you want to bring revelry in against are also really good at messing with you mana base e.g. UWR delver to kill their equipments, fish for chalice and vial, and D&T to hit their vial, and equipments, but all these decks usually have wasteland, or port, forcing you to fetch only before you cast, and you'll usually only cast one, unless you are splashing two taigas.

I also splashed for Cruise a while ago, I was amazing, but it could be a bit awkward at times because you only want to fetch the Volc right before you cast Cruise, and that'll be several turns in, so that means holding that fetch for a while, or hoping that you'll draw into another one soon. I don't think Cruise is worth running right now anyways since its everywhere so you'll be taking splash damage from that hate.

Feb 2013
    Canada

Great new Burn article by Patrick Sullivan on SCG:
    http://www.starcitygames.com/article...ew-Jersey.html

The article features a couple sample lists and some sideboard strategy. I really dig the mono-red list, but I might consider dropping the Flame Rifts in the sideboard for 3 copies of Relic of Progenitus and one more Smash to Smithereens.

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

What would revelry do for the storm match up? I was going to splash green for revelry but decided against it because the decks that you want to bring revelry in against are also really good at messing with you mana base e.g. UWR delver to kill their equipments, fish for chalice and vial, and D&T to hit their vial, and equipments, but all these decks usually have wasteland, or port, forcing you to fetch only before you cast, and you'll usually only cast one, unless you are splashing two taigas. (...)
    Revelry does nothing against Storm, although it can sometimes mess up their sequencing. No, I just was thinking about splashing and wanted to know the general opinion

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

What would revelry do for the storm match up?
    I think you mis-read again.

Two separate thoughts:
    1.) "After some goldfishing I would have some more cards in my SB against Storm, but it's tight as it is..."

2.) "Still not sure if I want to splash Green for Destructive Revelry? Opinions?"

Going back through recent posts:
    • I also enjoyed Patrick Sullivan's article, and I agree with Lyle's changes.
    • I have had success with Destructive Revelry, but I am the only one here saying that... so take that for what it's worth.
    • Pithing Needle is a very decent sideboard card!
    • I believe 4 Eidolon maindeck is enough dedicated Storm Hate right now. Storm isn't really prevalent in the meta.

@David Kaplan
    Are you just posting a list for feedback? Have you tested it? What are your thoughts on it? Why would you list '0 Gitaxian Probe'?
    Your post probably could have just been:
    Quote Originally Posted by David Kaplan
    With the strong push for UR Delver to drop countermagic for more Burn, is Burn w/ Cruise not just stronger? This opens up Volcanic Fallout.

Aug 2010
    Wichita Falls, Tx

I have been on the Rg for Destructive Revelry for 6 months and love it. There is an above average amount of Leyline in my meta but I imagine even in the normal world its still great.
    Current Decks with List:
    http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck_s...sult.asp?MDA=1
    My Dream: The Dojo Comics and Games
    http://www.gofundme.com/g754rg

Thread Information