Page 68 of 88 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1741

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Burn

Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

Quote Originally Posted by Tokugawa View Post
    In Legacy, Burn is not as popular as in Modern. If a player consumes 3-4 slots on Leylines, his sidebord may have more poor performance against other matchups.

If an answer to Leylines is really really needed, Taiga + Destructive revelery may be acceptable.
    To branch further of what he has said here(which is very much correct), the decks that will use Sanctity will be decks that have no early interaction whatsoever and aren't fast. Decks that aren't popularly played in Legacy for the most part like G/w Post decks to give you an example. In these cases, you look for hands that are creature heavy and Price of Progress, Vortex, and Flame Rift hands. These decks are generally slow enough that creature beats are a threat and being creative can get you there. Honestly, if decks are running Sanctity, they came to the tournament ready to not lose to Burn and sort of deserve to win, IMHO. This is just another case of being Burn.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Way, way back in the day when various mono-W prison/stompy decks (Parfait, Geddon Stax, Angel Stompy, The Mighty Quinn, etc.) were more popular and UW Landstill relied on the W-half for anti-red tools (CoP: Red, Warmth, Worship, etc.) - and random stuff like Enchantress, RGW Loam Control/Aggro Loam, etc. was more popular, I used to play Anarchy in the mono-R Burn sideboards. Basically the only actual answer to cards like Leyline of Sanctity. However, it requires like 23 lands to cast with any consistency and does poorly vs. mana denial so it's just not a very good card; thus I'd indeed rather splash.

In today's format Anarchy is almost completely obsolete as anything but the niche mono-red answer to white enchantments - as said, Leyline is a relatively rare sideboard card simply because it's only so good vs. the field and there are generally more high value sideboard cards available; Leyline is pretty useless vs. the whole top tier. Anarchy is good vs. Death & Taxes if you can cast it, but between their Thalias, Ports and Wastes, that's easier said than done and it doesn't answer their Batterskulls or whatever anyways - and your usual gameplan is to outrace them anyways.

As already stated, Sulfuric Vortex is an excellent way to beat Leyline, as are the creatures and oft-times Price of Progress. You don't need to get that much in for Sulfuric Vortex to finish things off and most of the decks with Leyline lack fast clocks; Sulfuric also stops incidental lifegain like Batterskull or StP. However, generally you'll be a dog against a deck with 4 Leylines, which is fine: you won't really face many players with 4 Leylines.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 03-18-2017 at 12:51 PM.

Hey, guys =)

I wanted to share with you that I recently modified my build, based on reddeckwinning's decklist from GP Louisville (https://reddeckwinning.com/2017/01/1...ix-louisville/), and I've won the last two Legacy tournaments I've attended at my local game store since then (and actually ended up second in the tournament before these two). This list is consistent, for sure. I was afraid the lack of Monastery Swiftspear in this build would cause me to lose against Miracles, but this has not been the case so far.

I noticed that Patrick Sullivan's latest build has become pretty popular since its appearance on #SCGRICH. It certainly made an impact on MTGO and I'm sure many of us thought about sleeving a couple of Flame Rifts. However, I think it's important to remember how experienced of a player Patrick Sullivan is, and the list he ran was probably based on his prediction of that specific event's metagame.

I guess I just wanted to point out that John Galli's build is tremendously effective, and definitely more versatile on the battlefield than Sullivan's list. In my humble experience, it shows very consistent results. I believe it should be regarded as an important reference these days -it would be a shame that Sullivan's build took over the discussion just because Patrick has a greater impact on media.
    Last edited by TheYoungPyromancer; 03-19-2017 at 01:58 PM.

Looks like us John's have been getting it right for awhile. ;)

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/c...sts-2015-11-07

I took that reddeckwinning list to a great result at an 18 man tournament in Auckland on the weekend (split prize in top 4). Thanks for bringing it to my attention :)

Quote Originally Posted by TonTo View Post
    I took that reddeckwinning list to a great result at an 18 man tournament in Auckland on the weekend (split prize in top 4). Thanks for bringing it to my attention :)
    The list is great... really. There is a kind of sideboard guide ? These are my first Time with the deck ...

So, new print Gideon basically kills this deck, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by Krimson Viper View Post
    Doesn't he pretty much just say 'you gain 3 life' against this deck?

Why would it kill the deck? I don't think it does anything to the deck. At it's worst it's a 3 mana card that doesn't effect the board, and gains the opponent 3 life.

Any opinions on the new red one drop that just got spoiled? Does it have potential to replace Swiftspear/Lavamancer in builds? Do we play it alongside Swiftspear maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Navsi View Post
    Doesn't he pretty much just say 'you gain 3 life' against this deck?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brael View Post
    Why would it kill the deck? I don't think it does anything to the deck. At it's worst it's a 3 mana card that doesn't effect the board, and gains the opponent 3 life.
    If Miracles plays it, I can see it wreaking a good amount of havoc. It's a three drop, played on turn four with Counterbalance lock and you can't answer him. Turn after it would need a four damage spell to kill it, after that it's two spells. All of these spells need to go to their face, allowing Miracles to stabilize better. I can see this being a real hazard if Miracles runs it.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Any opinions on the new red one drop that just got spoiled? Does it have potential to replace Swiftspear/Lavamancer in builds? Do we play it alongside Swiftspear maybe?
    It's interesting, but I don't think it's for Good in Legacy. It allows us to shrink fat creatures, but Grim answers creatures and Swiftspear has haste. It's a tough fit for the deck to squeeze him in for something that's doesn't offer face damage.

Aug 2016
    Seattle

@Krimson, about Gideon.

IMHO, I don't think the new Gideon fits the Miracles list too well, I think it makes their mana base too greedy for their style of play (then again, Mentor Miracles tries to be a Miracle deck that closes faster than normal Miracles, so we might see another variant pop up).

@silly, about Soul-Scar Mage
    I think in the current legacy meta, he's not really enabling us. Grim Lavamancer can help control the board without wasting burn spells for it. Monastery Swiftspear and Goblin Guide tend to get some beats in before being removed (this guy doesn't have haste).

Satyr Firedancer allows us to burn face and control the board at the same time, and doesn't see play in legacy or mondern (he's crazy with Searing Blaze as well). (I kind of want to try firedancer against mentioning him...)

That said, I definitely think he's legacy playable. I think he wants to find a home in a grindier deck though. Maybe a Punishing Fire deck, just something where using burn spells as removal is not considered a loss.
    Last edited by scaryrawr; 04-07-2017 at 01:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    It doesn't. Your creatures need some guaranteed damage. That's why even Lavamancer is so fringe. Guide and Swiftspear work because they have haste, Eidolon works because it has pseudohaste (it's still getting in for 2 no matter what the opponent does). The new red one drop doesn't.

If Miracles plays it, I can see it wreaking a good amount of havoc. It's a three drop, played on turn four with Counterbalance lock and you can't answer him. Turn after it would need a four damage spell to kill it, after that it's two spells. All of these spells need to go to their face, allowing Miracles to stabilize better. I can see this being a real hazard if Miracles runs it.
    I don't know what people have been running lately (haven't been following Burn much, but that should change in a couple weeks) Exquisite Firecraft is still pretty damn good though. If they +1, they're blanking a creature that's already blank. If they +1 again rather than emblem, the emblem isn't a threat. If they emblem he's still in burn range. Sure, you can say they win the game if they get a CB lock, tick this guy up to 5, and emblem... but any card at all wins them the game at that point, and in order to include Gideon they're giving up including other stuff.

Miracles doesn't need this card. Does nothing for the gameplan, and Miracles rarely wants to be tapping out/almost tapping out on turn 4. Plus, if they already have Counterbalance lock, isn't the game already lost? Why does Gideon change anything?

Aug 2016
    Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by supachai View Post
    Miracles doesn't need this card. Does nothing for the gameplan, and Miracles rarely wants to be tapping out/almost tapping out on turn 4. Plus, if they already have Counterbalance lock, isn't the game already lost? Why does Gideon change anything?
    The Counterbalance lock isn't as effective against burn as it use to be. Exquisite Firecraft is uncounterable most of the time, and you usually get to sneak in some spells as long as your draws aren't too horrible and you sequence them correctly at the right time. It's mostly when you add in Jace to the Countertop that things are really bad.

https://i.redd.it/gpzsck56c0ry.png

Harsh Mentor
    1R

Whenever an opponent activates an ability of an artifact, creature, or land on the battlefield, if it isn't a mana ability, Harsh Mentor deals 2 damage to that player.

"Fight through it."

2/2

Seems like a card worth considering, hoses a lot of decks.

Quote Originally Posted by irdoctor View Post

Harsh Mentor
    1R

Whenever an opponent activates an ability of an artifact, creature, or land on the battlefield, if it isn't a mana ability, Harsh Mentor deals 2 damage to that player.

"Fight through it."

2/2

Definitely seems worth considering. Quick list of stuff it stops/is good against:

-Deathrite Shaman
    -Umezawa's Jitte
    -Sensei's Divining Top
    -Scavenging Ooze
    -Fetchlands
    -Cavern Harpy
    -Wirewood Symbiote/Quirion Ranger

Less effective but still relevant against:

-Aether Vial
    -Stoneforge Mystic
    -Knight of the Reliquary
    -Griselbrand

Notably not very good against Reanimator, Infect, Delver decks, and Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by irdoctor View Post

Harsh Mentor
    1R

"Fight through it."

2/2

Sounds like an excellent card. I think it hits pretty much everyone. Fetchlands, Tops, DRS, Jitte, Vial, SFM, and more. Lots to like here.

Definitely interested to see how Harsh Mentor plays in this deck.

I think the worst thing about him is that he can easily eat a removal spell immediately and have dealt zero damage, which is potentially a disaster for us. But if he sticks he seems super powerful against a lot of the meta right now.

Another interesting one: http://mythicspoiler.com/akh/cards/byforce.html

By Force

XR

Sorcery

Destroy X target artifacts.

I know Smash to Smithereens is the usual sideboard hate for artifacts but this can get around Chalice of the Void. Playing against stompy, Chalice for 1 and 2 can lock you out the game, this for plays around both. The downside of course is that it doesn't do damage but the upside is you can destroy multiple lock pieces at once (E.G. Chalice for 1 and 2, play By Force x=2 destroys both and cannot be countered).

Maybe not good enough long run but if your meta is full of Eldrazi this may be a good option.

Thread Information