MTGO name: Aggro4Life

Aug 2016
    Arizona, USA

Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

Isn't Meltdown often better than this?

Quote Originally Posted by MDHackbert View Post
    Isn't Meltdown often better than this?
    If Chalice is on x=1 Meltdown would be countered (CMC =1 when x=0). Considering that is what Chalice is often set at, I don't think Meltdown would be better.

Edit: I just reread meltdown, very possible its better. I also missed it when checking through gatherer.

Oct 2012
    Italy

Shattering spree exists since ages, it gets around chalice and it also gets around traditional counterspells (the copies cannot be countered by chalice since they are not cast, and well, if they want to stop it with say a force of will they have to counter all the copies too). it is better than both meltdown and this new card, but still worse than smash to smithereens. We need our cards to do damage.

Quote Originally Posted by irdoctor View Post
    Another interesting one: http://mythicspoiler.com/akh/cards/byforce.html

By Force

XR

Sorcery

Destroy X target artifacts.

I know Smash to Smithereens is the usual sideboard hate for artifacts but this can get around Chalice of the Void. Playing against stompy, Chalice for 1 and 2 can lock you out the game, this for plays around both. The downside of course is that it doesn't do damage but the upside is you can destroy multiple lock pieces at once (E.G. Chalice for 1 and 2, play By Force x=2 destroys both and cannot be countered).

Maybe not good enough long run but if your meta is full of Eldrazi this may be a good option.
    Why not just play Shattering Spree? Chalice doesn't counter replicated spells.

If you're trying to destroy artifacts through Chalice on 1, Shattering Spree lets you pay X+1 mana to destroy X artifacts (the original copy is countered, so you need to pay the extra mana). That is the same cost as this card, but is slightly more flexible. For example, you cannot destroy a single Chalice set to 2 with this card, but you can with Shattering Spree. If your opponent has a Chalice on both 1 and 2, but you only need to destroy one of them, you can pay RR with Shattering Spree whereas you need 2R with this card. Also, Shattering Spree is much more resilient against counterspells.

If you're trying to destroy artifacts that aren't Chalice (for example you're playing against Affinity or something), Shattering Spree gets you an extra artifact for your mana.

The only upside with this card is that you can spend non-red mana on it, but that upside is completely irrelevant if we're mono-red.

Aug 2016
    Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by supachai View Post
    Definitely seems worth considering. Quick list of stuff it stops/is good against:

-Deathrite Shaman
    -Umezawa's Jitte
    -Sensei's Divining Top
    -Scavenging Ooze
    -Fetchlands
    -Cavern Harpy
    -Wirewood Symbiote/Quirion Ranger

Less effective but still relevant against:

-Aether Vial
    -Stoneforge Mystic
    -Knight of the Reliquary
    -Griselbrand

Notably not very good against Reanimator, Infect, Delver decks, and Storm.
    Harsh Mentor I think I'm going to try as a 3-4 of. It's relevant in most match ups, I get if Eidolon of the Great Revel eats a removal spell it usually at least gets 2 in, but I feel you can sequence early game cards in a way where this guy probably won't eat it (Miracles players typically swords Goblin Guide after the reveal trigger, people typically swords Eidolon ASAP), or if you draw both you can order it based on which one you're willing to lose in the match up. He's only relevant early game though, so running less than 3 I feel isn't ideal, because if you get him out too late, he does nothing. I think he can also end up being a dud, but I really want to try him out to find out.

I feel he's easiest to squeeze in with Sullivan's List, I've been testing something similar online, and I've cut 2 Mountains and 1 Flame Rift 3 Magma Jet. I think you could cut the Jets and 1 Monastery Swiftspear for him.

In the standard fetch list with Grim Lavamancer and Searing Blazes it's a lot harder to choose what to cut. If you cut Lavamancer and Blaze, there's not too much reason to play fetches, I feel Swiftspear would be what you cut or Sulfuric Vortex with a combination of some other cards, but my worry isn't won't curve out as nicely.

Aug 2010
    Seattle, WA

Harsh mentor just seems browbeat-y to me. I don't think it represents enough guaranteed damage to be worth it.

Eidolon punishes your opponents for playing magic, Harsh Mentor punishes your opponent for doing advanced (or fancy) things.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasDowd View Post
    Harsh mentor just seems browbeat-y to me. I don't think it represents enough guaranteed damage to be worth it.

Eidolon punishes your opponents for playing magic, Harsh Mentor punishes your opponent for doing advanced (or fancy) things.
    So do you not think Harsh Mentor is worth it? I admit I kind of over-valued him when I saw the spoiler, and figured "oh he's busted, automatic 4-of". After analyzing him a bit more, I think he's worth a sideboard slot at best. Yes, harsh mentor is good but I can't think of something worthy of being taken out for him, except lavamancer/swiftspear.

I mean, certain decks have a pretty tough time playing magic without running headfirst into Harsh Mentor. But I agree that Eidolon is a lot better. Basically anything your opponent does triggers Eidolon. A lot of things trigger Mentor, but there will always be some outs for your opponent (any removal spell unlocks their activated abilities). I'm interested in trying Mentor, but I'm very wary about him because I'm not sure this deck can support a creature that ends up dealing no damage a good portion of the time.

Aug 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by MrFrowny_ View Post
    So do you not think Harsh Mentor is worth it? I admit I kind of over-valued him when I saw the spoiler, and figured "oh he's busted, automatic 4-of". After analyzing him a bit more, I think he's worth a sideboard slot at best. Yes, harsh mentor is good but I can't think of something worthy of being taken out for him, except lavamancer/swiftspear.

Mentor:
    I too was very excited when I saw him. Seemed great but then I tried to figure out where I wanted him, and couldn't come up with any good places. From a "philosophy of fire" standpoint he stinks. All of your cards need to be damage. grim lavamancer and guide get passes since they are insane cost to damage ratios that you control. Guide is damage the turn he comes down. Lavamancer is repeatable utility. Even as a sideboard card there are higher impact cards for the matchups that have activated abilities.

Giving your opponents the choice on when and how to take damage is not great. all scenarios just seem like magical Christmasland. I dunno, if someone can show me consistent value and utility I'll bite but I don't think its that good.

Swiftspear:
    I don't even like swiftspear, without gas its a bad 1/2. When I played UR Delver I hated that card since all my creatures, save delver, were just pathetic dinguses without spells. In the combo matchups its awesome but barring facing down fast kills I'm not sold, maybe I need to play it in more dedicated burn. I do understand it in the right meta.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    I mean, certain decks have a pretty tough time playing magic without running headfirst into Harsh Mentor. But I agree that Eidolon is a lot better. Basically anything your opponent does triggers Eidolon. A lot of things trigger Mentor, but there will always be some outs for your opponent (any removal spell unlocks their activated abilities). I'm interested in trying Mentor, but I'm very wary about him because I'm not sure this deck can support a creature that ends up dealing no damage a good portion of the time.
    keyword: certain. I just want consistency

Swiftspear: I don't even like swiftspear, without gas its a bad 1/2. When I played UR Delver I hated that card since all my creatures, save delver, were just pathetic dinguses without spells. In the combo matchups its awesome but barring facing down fast kills I'm not sold, maybe I need to play it in more dedicated burn. I do understand it in the right meta.

keyword: certain. I just want consistency
    I agree, I really dislike swiftspear in burn because of how many creatures there are in legacy at the moment. For me, it's always an x-1 trade with any creature in the way and makes you run out of gas way faster than usual because you're trying to pump swiftspear.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFrowny_ View Post
    I agree, I really dislike swiftspear in burn because of how many creatures there are in legacy at the moment. For me, it's always an x-1 trade with any creature in the way and makes you run out of gas way faster than usual because you're trying to pump swiftspear.
    Good Morning Everyone,

I've tried looking back a little bit for the answer to this but I didn't find anything really helpful.

I'm running a sideboard atm with 4 pieces of graveyard hate. But in the case my reanimator opponent is able to stick Iona on red then do we have any good outs? Any super secret tech?

Conceding to inevitability never feels great and mulliganing to our SB cards could easily go poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobra_D View Post
    Good Morning Everyone,

I've tried looking back a little bit for the answer to this but I didn't find anything really helpful.

I'm running a sideboard atm with 4 pieces of graveyard hate. But in the case my reanimator opponent is able to stick Iona on red then do we have any good outs? Any super secret tech?

Conceding to inevitability never feels great and mulliganing to our SB cards could easily go poorly.
    You could run Ashen Rider in your sideboard if they try and show and tell Iona. And if you already have 4 pieces of gravehate, then that's as good as it's gonna get.

Aug 2016
    Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by Kobra_D View Post
    Good Morning Everyone,

Legit... no.

If you're lucky, I've found Grim Lavamancer and being ahead enough on damage with cards in the graveyard. Ensnaring Bridge can help since it'll allow you to draw more fetches...

I wouldn't say you have to mull for the SB card (some will disagree, which is fair since Reanimator can be a turn 1 combo), but you have to have the most excellent 7 you can. You either have to be the faster combo deck (turn 3 kill hand), or be able to stop them from comboing off.

If you really dislike it, you can try splashing other colors for answers in removal (white has exile, black has edict, blue has bounce, etc.). I've ran Boros, Rakdos, Mardu, Jeskai, etc. It's fun to try (I think not enough people experiment in Legacy). Or run more graveyard hate (SB is really meta dependent). There's also some Devoid spells which you can cast while Iona is out (they're not that good though, so I don't recommend this). I recommend mono red personally though.

Feb 2013
    Canada

Whether or not you agree with the recent banning of Sensei's Divining Top, it is quite possible that Burn is well positioned in the new meta-game. At the very least, we can probably free up some side board space by cutting Exquisite Firecraft and moving some copies of Searing Blaze / Searing Blood to the main. I'd love to see some discussion on how we can adjust our 75 in anticipation of the new meta-game now that Miracles is gone.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Hopkins View Post
    Whether or not you agree with the recent banning of Sensei's Divining Top, it is quite possible that Burn is well positioned in the new meta-game. At the very least, we can probably free up some side board space by cutting Exquisite Firecraft and moving some copies of Searing Blaze / Searing Blood to the main. I'd love to see some discussion on how we can adjust our 75 in anticipation of the new meta-game now that Miracles is gone.
    Vortex can probably move to the board and/or get cut. Shusher and Barbarian Ring are non-essential.

Are we still interested in Harsh Mentor? It's decent against all of Legacy, but looked most exciting vs Miracles.

Aug 2016
    Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Vortex can probably move to the board and/or get cut. Shusher and Barbarian Ring are non-essential.

Are we still interested in Harsh Mentor? It's decent against all of Legacy, but looked most exciting vs Miracles.
    I don't think cutting Sulfuric Vortex completely is a good idea. It wasn't there just for Miracles, you have Batterskull, Umezawa's Jitte, Griselbrand, Deathrite Shaman, etc. I think Smash to Smithereens is the best to deal with the equipment, but I've been able to race Griselbrand solely because of Vortex. Funny thing too, it can kill Planeswalkers, and is difficult for many to remove.

I think Harsh Mentor is still worth trying, he still hits a lot in legacy, but I think there's so much removal in the format right now, he might end up just being a dud.

I think if Elves gets more attention, he's really good against the Wirewood Symbiote&Elvish Visionary combo, as well as Quirion Ranger and Deathrite. He also helps prevent the chump block + bounce they do, since they don't have any incentive to do it anymore.

He also is good against equipment, Mother of Runes, Stoneforge Mystic, and Aether Vial strategy, I think it's also funny since if someone tries to Wasteland themselves in response to Price of Progress we at least get 2 off the mentor trigger.

He also hits Thespian's Stage, Rishadan Port, Ghost Quarter, fetch lands, etc.

I think we really have to wait and see where meta goes.

Jan 2014
    Halifax, NS

I think its a safe bet for a bit of time while the meta shifts and settles. Right now I am running the P.Sully list and am moving [Flame Rift] to the board for [Searing Blaze] as i expect a lot more creatures in my local meta and would like to reduce my own damage taken. I don't know about [Harsh Mentor] He looks OK but I don't think he is better then 3 to the face or our current creatures.

You're all going to think I'm insane, but I would recommend Scab-Clan Berserkers. A big removal filled deck that can get rid of them just disappeared, and being able to pair them and Eidolons gives you much better consistency in dealing with combos.

Jan 2014
    Halifax, NS

Quote Originally Posted by Brael View Post
    You're all going to think I'm insane....
    Well you arnt wrong... But hey try it, and report back

Quote Originally Posted by Nysrol View Post
    Well you arnt wrong... But hey try it, and report back
    I've used it for months as a 1-2 of. It works well in certain matchups. It was great against Miracles (not that that matters much anymore), and great against Storm, on the play. Usually good for 4-5 damage against Delver too.

Thread Information