Page 77 of 88 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,540 of 1741

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Burn

Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

what do You think of Goblin chainwhirler in burn ?

Jan 2013
    MA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Bl4ckbird92 View Post
    Ask yourself this, which match would you want to see Chainwhirler in your hand against? Now are those decks heavy in your meta?

Quote Originally Posted by scottpou View Post
    Ask yourself this, which match would you want to see Chainwhirler in your hand against? Now are those decks heavy in your meta?

After The Ban Elves and DnT is comming..and a Main Board answer seems fine for me? But i can be wrong
    Is is also an answer to EtW tokens? And some other Little cratures

Aug 2016
    Seattle

After The Ban Elves and DnT is comming..and a Main Board answer seems fine for me? But i can be wrong
    EtW? Empty the Warrens?

Hmm... You shouldn't pack matchup specific cards in the mainboard unless those matchups make up the majority of your meta. A card in the main you should expect it to be great in the majority of matchups you expect to run into. Saying it's great against Elves and D&T, your meta should be mostly Elves and D&T then to justify it? If that makes sense.

The other thing is what are you cutting for it? Is it better than Searing Blaze in those matchups? Better than Sulfuric Vortex, Grim Lavamancer, etc? It can be depending on your list and your meta.

If it's something you feel is worth trying, I'd say try it then. Personally, I think the card is good, but it's not made for Burn, and I don't think it attacks the decks you listed as well as you would think.
    Red Deck Weekly -- I'm bad at magic

We have grim Lavamancer it's better in almost every way than chainwhirler.

This was literally discussed on the last page, run some Volcanic Fallouts. Or test some Chainwhirlers.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Strikes me that Flamebreak is probably better in the 3-slot, but then again, wouldn't a 2-cmc card like Pyroclasm or Electrickery do the job better? As a guy who's played Empty the Warrens a lot of times, I wouldn't be comfortable facing it with anything that costs more than 2.

First Strike is pretty sweet, though. Show those triply-blinged-out Mirran Crusaders who's boss.

I hate white cards.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Thoughts on this new card? Potential sb for slower matchups where burn runs out of gas.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Co...te+Atlas#paper
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    Thoughts on this new card? Potential sb for slower matchups where burn runs out of gas.

I think it competes directly with Sulfuric Vortex, with exactly 3 mana I think Vortex is better, with 4 mana this can be better if they are an Abrupt decay deck. People have used Top before, and I feel this is actually better than top in this specific deck since it actually draws card, but I'm not exactly sure if this is better than Vortex. I would say initially this isn't better in most scenarios, but its not a bad idea to test it out.

Aug 2016
    Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post

No.

I mean... In these slower matchups, how is it better than a card that does burny things? There's vortex, firecraft, etc.
    Red Deck Weekly -- I'm bad at magic

Just posted this on another major Magic site, but I know the players here are better and didn’t want to leave you guys out. Thinking about playing after a long hiatus. I don’t have a clue what metas look like now, but I suspect CFB will be the usual, so I went off of what I remember. Any new cards I should be looking at in terms of what people would bring in against us? I haven’t played since just before Top banning.

4 Goblin Guide
    4 Monastery Swiftspear
    4 Eidolon of the Great Revel

2 Sulfuric Vortex

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Lava Spike
    4 Price of Progress
    3 Searing Blaze
    4 Rift Bolt
    3 Fireblast

8 Mountain
    1 Barbarian Ring
    11 Fetches

Sideboard
    3 Grim Lavamancer
    1 Searing Blaze
    3 Smash to Smithereens
    3 Exquisite Firecraft
    3 Faerie Macabre
    2 Mindbreak Trap

I’m not expecting a lot of creatures in front of me and more combo and Miracles and big mana play decks, so I chose Vortex because my life total doesn’t really matter there and I want constant pressure. I also moved Lavamancer to the side because of this, but still want answers to creature decks in my 75, so that’s why Swiftspear is a 4-of. Reanimator is played here and I know it’s a terrible match up, but I don’t know if I should play Bridge to help answer Eldrazi (or that colorless stompy deck), zombie fish, or just replace the Traps with a Surgical Extraction and the fourth Smash, or just 2 Surgical Extraction. Surgical seems like a decent all around answer for everything, but also just in case I’m paired up with something like Storm, which I think has lost some popularity at CFB. Overall I am iffy about Mindbreak Trap. Suggestions are encouraged.

Hi,

my first comment on burn. I was playing the "regular" burn list for a while now and looking for some new hits on burn.

I would love you to comment on my ideas and impressions

this is my actual list. as you can see, there are 4 spots missing. I´m looking for the best fill in

19 LANDS
    3 Barbarian Ring
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    9 Mountain
    3 Wooded Foothills

14 CREATURES
    4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
    4 Goblin Guide
    2 Grim Lavamancer
    4 Monastery Swiftspear

23 INSTANTS and SORC.
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Fireblast
    4 Lava Spike
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Price of Progress
    4 Rift Bolt

4 ????

now to my experiences:

1. Barbarian Ring is nothing new, but I play 3 MD and it has been a killer in so many matches. Also I play 2-3 Grim Lavamancer. A card, I had to convince myself of. My question was: How is it possible to get enough cards in my graveyard to feed these two cards. Here are my ideas:

- fetchlands are the most obvious
    - faithless looting: played it several times online. has been nice in some games and useless in other games, but I still got it on my list
    - insolent neonate: you cycle your bad cards and it has menace. so it hits at least for 2-3 damage and then you just caycle it

fireblast and barbarian ring are a great combo. You tap for mana, cast fireblast and then use the mana to activate ring. 6 damage for 1 mana. and ring can´t be countered. I was really impressed, how often it came down on this

now what to do with the free spots. These are the cards I tried:

4x bomat courier: a card, your opponent HAS to handle! because of all the 1 mana spells in your deck, you empty your hand very quickly. so using it´s ability to draw cards is great. also it has haste and does 2-3 damage in the first rounds. I even thought about using simian spirit guide to empty my hand even faster, so bomat works better, but maybe that´s to greedy.

spark elemental: I know, old card, but most of the time, it is a 3 damage for 1 mana. even in the later rounds it does its work because of trample
    hellspark elemental: it´s 6 damage for 4 mana, but it is stron against counter and you can cast it when you are out of gas. It´s waiting in your graveyard. did a good job for me. but it´s not working very well with lavamancer and ring because it´s removed after second attack
    insolent neonate: you fill your graveyard with useless cards and deal some damage

I really want Barbarian Ring, Grim lavamancer and Bomat to work. What do you think. Thanks a lot for your feedback!

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Depending on your expected meta-game, these are good cards to consider:

Exquisite Firecraft
    Sulfuric Vortex
    Searing Blaze
    Forked Bolt
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Depending on your expected meta-game, these are good cards to consider:

Exquisite Firecraft
    Sulfuric Vortex
    Searing Blaze
    Forked Bolt

of course I know the commonly used cards, but then I can use the standard list you can find everywhere. I want to give bomat courier or one of the other cards I mentioned a shot and look for ways to establish it. :-)

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Courier just doesn't do enough I don't think. You want a much better return for 1 mana spent. Even your suggestion of Spark Elemental is probably better, although Hellspark Elemental is arguably better.

I was messing around with Black Vise and Shrapnel Blast (4/3) for a little while, including 4x Great Furnace to increase chances of having targets for Blast. It's a good return; even if Vise only does 3 damage in a game that's still the going rate for damage. If landed t1 it can do much more than that. Board it out on the draw for relevant sideboard cards. The argument against Shrapnel Blast is that you lose a land/permanent, but most of the time lands are an expendable resource (Fireblast) or Vise is no longer doing damage so converting it into 5 with Blast was good.

There's no way around it: there isn't really any way to improve Burn. You play the red cards that do the most damage for your mana investment. If you're bored with that, switch decks. That's what Burn will always be.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

What about Bedlam Reveler? Has that been tested and found wanting already or is it still valid consideration?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    What about Bedlam Reveler? Has that been tested and found wanting already or is it still valid consideration?
    thought about bedlam reveler. no way, you get this one on the board. if you got 4 instants in your gy, you still need 4 mana to cast it! Either you have won the game or you lost before you get to cast it.

first of all. thanks Mr Safety for your feedback! :-)

I would love to get some more feedback on bomat courier https://www.mtgvault.com/card/bomat-courier/KLD/. I played about 15 matches with it. Opponents rather block him than a 3/4 swiftspear or a goblin guide as I said before they have to handle it. and it DOES deal damage. average of 2-3 damage. and keep in mind that thay block it and other creatures you control deal more damage not being blocked. Won me 2 games so far. drew a hand of 2 or 3 new cards and had gas again. I really think this could be an serious option

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i'd say give it a shot. you'll have to keep in mind what your good matchups are and your bad matchups. does this card increase your win % on the bad ones? if it doesn't, does it significantly increase the %'s on your currently positive matchups?

you'll need some more stats.
    -rob

Bomat Courier

here my first feedback after 25 matches with 4x bomat courier:

19 wins and 6 losses.

I have to say, bomat courier is absolutely fantastic! I thought it could be a nice gimmick, but it is just great. The cards I cut for Bomat: 1 price of progress, 1 exquisite firecarft, 2 sulforic vortex (=> sideboard)

here my impressions:

for example the last game I had on board 2 goblin guides, then play bomat. my opponent had thalia in play. I attack with all three creatures with him on 10 life. And he blocks bomat! :-) and this happenens in more than 90%. opponents always block bomat instead of swiftspear or guide. so you deal more damage with swiftspear and guide.

I had lots of starting hands with bomat and swiftspear. I always played bomat first. this means I get at least 2 cards underneath it and 2 damage. with swiftspear I could deal one more damage but that downside is absolutely ok. Turn 3 it depends on the opponents board and my hand if I attack another time. Most of the time I did. Normally I got 2-3 new cards with bomat. and it definetely deals at least 2 damage on the play. They don´t block with their insectile abberation or / mother of runes or noble hierach ... (cards they could play in their first turn)

Once I blocked batterskull, sacrificed it, got 3 new cards and opponent didn´t get 4 life. nice sideeffect of this card

another time I had turn 1 and turn 2 bomat. I had an empty hand on turn 4 and drew a hand of 5!!! new cards. You can hold priority and sacrifice the 2nd one in response to the first ability. As you pay costs before the ability resolves you will pay RR, then discard your hand, then discard your (now empty) hand. Then the abilities will resolve and you get all the cards

There is a great synergy between barbarian ring, fireblast an bomat. Barbarian ring is the other card that won me lot´s of games. bomat and fireblast fill the grave. and then fireblast and ring seal the deal.

and of course your hand doesn´t have to be empty to use bomat. Discarding a price of progress against certain decks or discarding a swiftspear against a goyf in play is no disadvantage

so all in all I´m a little bit in love with this little fellow. Maybe you got some other synergies that could be used with him.
    Last edited by josch6083; 09-01-2018 at 08:00 AM.

Thread Information