Page 86 of 88 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788 LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,720 of 1741

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Burn

Nov 2012
    The Bluegrass

Re: [Primer/Deck] Burn

Quote Originally Posted by alec View Post
    This is such a cool tournament idea; congrats on the satisfying finish! I've literally never thought to use Take Possession/Agent of Treachery before. I'd be a little wary of using Take Possession given that it can't target Emrakul, but if they're going to be showing off Omniscience first I guess it's a decent casual choice -- and I have some just lying around from Time Spiral Standard. Cool!

How did you like the Flame Rifts? I feel like they're a little lackluster with the required Eidolons and in more aggro-oriented metagames, but I'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences. :)
    Flame Rift generally didn’t hurt too bad. I am honestly considering bringing in Skullcrack instead (meta choice). I typically use Flame Rift as a quasi-finisher.

I hadn’t considered Chaos Warp. That’s some tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 2010
    Poland, Wrocław

Quote Originally Posted by MightyPenguin007 View Post
    Flame Rift generally didn’t hurt too bad. I am honestly considering bringing in Skullcrack instead (meta choice). I typically use Flame Rift as a quasi-finisher.

I hadn’t considered Chaos Warp. That’s some tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1. Chaos Warp has a sense for me, but how to find thee slots for three copies? :)
    2. I agreed that 3 copies of Light Up the Stage are cool. :D

By the way... I don't like Monastery Swiftspear and I don't want to give my opponents drawback using Goblin Guide

But I love synery of Vexing Devil, Soul-Scar Mage & Volcanic Fallout. :D

Lands:
    13x Mountain
    4x Bloodstaine Mire
    1x Barbarian Ring

Creatures:
    4x Vexing Devil - almost all people pays 4 lifes.
    4x Soul-Scar Mage
    4x Eidolon of the Great Revel
    1x Grim Lavamancer

Spells:
    4x Lightning Bolt
    4x Chain Lightning
    4x Lava Spike
    3x Light Up the Stage
    4x Rift Bolt
    4x Skewer the Critics
    3x Fireblast
    3x Price of Progress

Sideboard:
    2x Grafdigger's Cage
    2x Pyrostatic Pillar
    3x Sulfuric Vortex
    3x Smash to Smithereness
    3x Volcanic Fallout
    2x Exquisite Firecrat

Do you have some idea to add Alpine Moon or something other against LANDS? :)

How do you like LUTS and skewer? I found both of them not great in high numbers because skewer is often fairly bad topdeck. I think soul scar mage is not that good, its slow in my opinion guide is just better because almost always its 2 damage often 4 and sometimes 6.
    I like that you are trying vexing devil, I remember it was always dismissed but on paper it seems like its good or at least not worse than monastery swiftspeaer on average. Although, Its not as reliable as swiftspear or guide.

Depending on your metagame, you migt want 4 sulfuric wortexes in your 75. While often you can race OKO with decent hand, URO is different beast and its very hard to beat.

I've tested Vexing Devil, 4, 3, 2 and even 1 on the maindeck.
    Just like you said, most people pay 4 life. The only 'drawback' is when you top deck him in a close/late game, it's really disappointing.
    But I really like the card on early stages, it's indeed a Fireblast for 1 mana. If you get t1 and t2 Vexing Devil you just race your way to finish the game. I don't use them regularly anymore, but I still like to play with it once in a while.

But Goblin Guide are also good. Of course, you can give your opponent a land card, but you can also get information about the card that they're going to draw.
    There are some tricky ways to play it, for example: I remember when I was playing against a UW Miracle or something like that, it was my turn and I had a Guide and a Swiftspear on the battlefield, my opponent Brainstormed putting a land on the top. I didn't attack with him that turn, he drew a land on his following turn and I managed to win the game mostly because of that (it was not a super extravagant smart play but it's something that you have to have in your mind when playing with guides).

LUTS and Skewer are good, but I don't use 4. I've won matches because I had LUTS (I personally use 2) but Skewer sometimes felt a little situational.

My local metagame is full of Dark Depths decks so I go with 2 Alpine Moon and 2 Pithing Needle on my SB. I like Alpine Moons due to the low cmc and to the fact that you can name Gaea's Craddle, Rishadan Port and other lands that appear on legacy lists out there (of course Blood Moon is better to lock the games, but most of the decks are slower than us).

yeah, most ppl pay 4 which means its better bolt in that regard. It seems like a card to test. I remember it being hyped and then dismissed on the basis that letting your oponent choose is bad but the upside might be worth it. Also, on the discord channel, ppl are discussing lurrus because the deck only loses sulfuric wortex from maindeck - if you even play them - but the upside might be well worth

Jun 2010
    Poland, Wrocław

Quote Originally Posted by mulletsss View Post
    I've tested Vexing Devil, 4, 3, 2 and even 1 on the maindeck.
    Just like you said, most people pay 4 life. The only 'drawback' is when you top deck him in a close/late game, it's really disappointing.
    But I really like the card on early stages, it's indeed a Fireblast for 1 mana. If you get t1 and t2 Vexing Devil you just race your way to finish the game. I don't use them regularly anymore, but I still like to play with it once in a while.

But Goblin Guide are also good. Of course, you can give your opponent a land card, but you can also get information about the card that they're going to draw.
    There are some tricky ways to play it, for example: I remember when I was playing against a UW Miracle or something like that, it was my turn and I had a Guide and a Swiftspear on the battlefield, my opponent Brainstormed putting a land on the top. I didn't attack with him that turn, he drew a land on his following turn and I managed to win the game mostly because of that (it was not a super extravagant smart play but it's something that you have to have in your mind when playing with guides).

LUTS and Skewer are good, but I don't use 4. I've won matches because I had LUTS (I personally use 2) but Skewer sometimes felt a little situational.

My local metagame is full of Dark Depths decks so I go with 2 Alpine Moon and 2 Pithing Needle on my SB. I like Alpine Moons due to the low cmc and to the fact that you can name Gaea's Craddle, Rishadan Port and other lands that appear on legacy lists out there (of course Blood Moon is better to lock the games, but most of the decks are slower than us).
    Yes, I think with LUTS & Skewer you have right. I exchanged 1 Skewer to additional Fireblast. I dedited to remove 2 Firecrafts for 2 Alpine Moons, but it is good to have 3 copies of something in the sideboard (to stable changes in deck for situtation) so I'm thinking to exchange 2x Pyrostatic Pillar for 1 additional Moon and 1 additional Cage of something against the graveyard.

Lands:
    13x Mountain
    4x Bloodstaine Mire
    1x Barbarian Ring

Creatures:
    4x Vexing Devil / Goblin Guide
    4x Soul-Scar Mage / Monastery Swiftspear
    1x Grim Lavamancer

Spells:
    4x Lightning Bolt
    4x Chain Lightning
    4x Lava Spike
    3x Light Up the Stage
    4x Rift Bolt
    4x Skewer the Critics
    3x Fireblast
    3x Price of Progress

Sideboard:
    2x Grafdigger's Cage
    2x Pyrostatic Pillar
    3x Sulfuric Vortex
    3x Smash to Smithereness
    3x Volcanic Fallout
    2x Alpine Moon

Quote Originally Posted by Jofiel View Post
    Yes, I think with LUTS & Skewer you have right. I exchanged 1 Skewer to additional Fireblast. I dedited to remove 2 Firecrafts for 2 Alpine Moons, but it is good to have 3 copies of something in the sideboard (to stable changes in deck for situtation) so I'm thinking to exchange 2x Pyrostatic Pillar for 1 additional Moon and 1 additional Cage of something against the graveyard.
    Yeah I totally agree with the idea of having 3 of something to make it more consistent depending on your opponent. Personally, I've been playing with this list, due to my local meta and some preferences/tests (for example 3 Fireblasts, after a lot of time struggling and not being in favor of this idea, when I finally accepted it, the results seemed a little better and the Pithing Needle against Okos and stuff).

Lands:
    19x Mountain

Creatures:
    4x Goblin Guide
    1x Ash Zealot
    1x Grim Lavamancer

Spells:
    4x Lightning Bolt
    4x Chain Lightning
    4x Lava Spike
    4x Rift Bolt
    3x Flame Rift
    3x Fireblast
    3x Exquisite Firecraft
    2x Light Up the Stage
    2x Skewer the Critics
    2x Sulfuric Vortex
    2x Searing Blaze

Sideboard:
    1x Grafdigger's Cage
    1x Pithing Needle
    1x Faerie Macabre
    1x Ensnaring Bridge
    2x Tormod's Crypt
    2x Red Elemental Blast
    3x Smash to Smithereens
    2x Searing Blood
    2x Alpine Moon

Recently I've thinking about maindecking some fecth lands, maybe 4 or less, just to see if there's any difference on the draws - sometimes after the game ends, I check my deck and see a bunch of lands together even after shuffling like crazy, so I guess fetches would 'reset' the probabilities or make it even worse

Recently I've thinking about maindecking some fecth lands, maybe 4 or less, just to see if there's any difference on the draws - sometimes after the game ends, I check my deck and see a bunch of lands together even after shuffling like crazy, so I guess fetches would 'reset' the probabilities or make it even worse

Play fetches. I see you're playing lavamancers and blazes.

decklist etc
    Ash Zealot in the main?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour_Asses View Post
    Ash Zealot in the main?
    does this punish the cat companion?
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    does this punish the cat companion?
    Cat and any flashback deck, splash against Snappy, PiF, dredge, etc.

Jun 2010
    Poland, Wrocław

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    Cat and any flashback deck, splash against Snappy, PiF, dredge, etc.
    But only one without possibility to find it? Is it enoguh?

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour_Asses View Post
    Ash Zealot in the main?
    I knew that this would be a matter of discussion and I understand that most people don't see why bother with such a "normal" powered creature.
    But like I said, my choices are solely based on my local meta where you find 80% of the players playing with Snapcaster Mages, Dreadhorde Arcanists, etc. Also it is a good body to trade against Thalias.

That's the reason why I play with one, it was before this companion thing (I really hope that they ban some of those cards). It's sort of a curve ball, even though it doesn't hurt that much, I like it.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Came up with a list to abuse the new 6/6 guy Chandra's Incinerator

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Rift Bolt
    4 Fireblast
    4 Seal of Fire
    4 Lava Spike
    4 Skewer the Critics

4 Goblin Guide
    4 Eidolon
    4 Chandra's Incinerator
    1 Grim Lavamancer

13x Mountain
    3x Bloodstained Mire
    3x Wooded Foothills

Was wondering how OP you guys think this guy will be in the deck. I definitely think he has a home here. Black Vice is another option to combo with him. But Seal of Fire and Rift bolt work very good with him.
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

The one thing burn has is consistency with all the cards doing pretty much the same, you end up with good topdecking compared to other decks. In that regard, I think the Chandra's Incinerator reduces the consisntecy since its terrible topdeck in my opinion unless you kept a bolt in your hand and doent function on its own. On the other hand, burn is not in good position now as it seems so we might need to experiment with various options.

What is your sideboard? How are you planning to beat Oko/Uro decks?

Mar 2008
    Boa Vista RR (in the brazilian jungle)

Re: [Primer/Deck]

Chandra‘s Incinerator is THE MD answer against URO/OKO.
    T2 Incinerator races Uro/Oko.
    T3 Incinerator trades with Uro.
    T3 Incinerator becomes a 3/3 Elk against loyality 5 Oko
    And we have the Fireblast option...
    Incinerator is also great against other problematic cards such as Tarmogoyf, Coatl/Strix (because of Trample) Grieselbrand (Show and Tell).

@Rood
    I don‘t like Seal of Fire. I think Cave-In should be better for useless Fireblast, Incinerator and LutS copies. Cave-In showed up in some 5-0 MTGO lists as a sideboard option recently. Black Vise does not work with Incinerator.

Found this video on youtube. This guy is doing a 5-0 in Modern with monoR and playset Incinerator. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNQTQlB9XU8
    Last edited by the resurrection; 06-27-2020 at 03:24 AM.

Aug 2019
    Berlin | Canberra | NYC

Re: [Primer/Deck]

@Rood
    I came up with a list v close to yours. The variance introduced by Incinerator is offset by shaving the clunkier & conditional spells (PoP, Firecraft) for more Bolts (Skewer). Seal for Swifty is the key here, of course, our 2nd best T1 play after Guide.

Since we're running Fetches for Lavamancer anyways, I'm considering a mini green splash (no more than 1-2 Taigas) just for SB Klothys to battle Snow: i.e. Vortex that enables topdecked Incinerator and spectacle.

Mar 2008
    Boa Vista RR (in the brazilian jungle)

5-0 MTGO

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...-08-01#phil__-

Phil_1987

20 Mountain

4 Goblin Guide
    4 Swiftspear
    2 Vexing Devil
    2 Chandra‘s Incinerator

16 Bolt
    4 Fireblast
    4 Exquisite Firecraft
    4 Price of Progress

//Sideboard
    2 Volcanic Fallout
    3 Skewer the critics
    2 Sulfuric Vortex
    4 Crypt
    4 Smash

Guys, what do we think of this:

Roiling Vortex

1R

Enchantment

At the beginning of each player's upkeep, vortex deals 1 damage to them.

Whenever a player casts a spell, if no mana was spent on it, vortex deals 5 damage to them.

R: Each opponent can't gain life this turn.

Can we see this being run along, if not straight replacing sulfuric vortex? I think this has potential. Although much slower in damage, this is cheaper, plus the added bonus of blasting diamonds, petals, FoW, and Daze players.

May 2015
    PDX

Don't think this ends well for you when you try to finish people with Fireblast. This enchant would be more consistent with a Delver deck that wanted to both not play Dreadhorde and simultaneously punishing Dreadhorde users. This however won't happen b/c this enchant isn't exactly maindeck playable.

For Burn vs the card SnT, it's maybe marginally more reliable than E-Bridge vs Omniscience.

Thread Information