Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magic 94 - Websites and Forums

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Magic 94 - Websites and Forums

For those unfamiliar with the format, Magic 94 is a format that evolved out of a casual gaming scene in Sweden.
    "Seven sets of magic are allowed, Alpha, Beta, Unlimited, Arabian Nights, Antiquities, Legends and The Dark. Non-English versions and reprints after Unlimited are considered proxy's, and 93/94 is not played with proxies. You play with what you own, and try to find what you need." ~ http://oldschool-mtg.blogspot.com/p/historik.html

The only websites I'm aware of are:
    http://oldschool-mtg.blogspot.com/ (the original site about the format)
    and
    fabiensanglard.net/mtg_93-94_Toronto/index.php

I've had success in obtaining information useful for deckbuilding/theory through Stephen Menendian's "History of Vintage" series (specifically Chapters 1-4) and some of the source links he's listed in his series. There are a few Usenet archives kicking around from 94 with some decent information, but they definitely can feel like MTGsalvation forums from time to time.

Are there any other sites, particularly discussion forums, for the format? It's an absolute blast to play and I'm interested in sharing/reading about ideas/decks with other players.

Re: Magic 94 - Websites and Forums

Are there any videos/youtube channels for the format? Would love to see it being played.

I go back and forth on the prohibition of revised cards in the format. Back then, myself and everyone I knew was playing with revised cards and maybe a booster pack or two of legends or the dark. No revised doesn't really feel like old school magic to me. On the other hand, revised is so accessible. By not allowing revised cards, an artificial scarcity it's reintroduced. In that regard it feels more like old school magic.
    "If magic is your crutch, cast it aside and learn to walk without it." —Teferi

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    I go back and forth on the prohibition of revised cards in the format. Back then, myself and everyone I knew was playing with revised cards and maybe a booster pack or two of legends or the dark. No revised doesn't really feel like old school magic to me. On the other hand, revised is so accessible. By not allowing revised cards, an artificial scarcity it's reintroduced. In that regard it feels more like old school magic.
    I agree to an extent. Really, in general, I think there should be 1 exception, dual-lands, as the cost difference is pretty significant. I own Unlimited Duals because of a personal preference, but they are much more difficult to acquire, and the premium/availability of NM copies is pretty damn low.
    We are pretty lax in Halifax, as we'd rather just play old school Magic, so people play with other sets. Really, I'm cool with Revised/4th/5th in terms of core set printings, and Chronicles City of Brass looks bad, but gets the job done. I certainly understand not wanting to dump a lot of money into the premium or only versions of cards playable in one officially unsupported format, but honestly, now that I've done it, it feels good.
    On a small side note, if this really starts to take off, which is debatable, having access to revised keeps old sets from climbing even higher. It's a rough justification dropping $160-200 on a set of Arabian Nights Serendib Efreets, but demand for the only legal version could spike the price even farther.

I feel that only using the 93-94 cards, rather than newer equivalents, goes against the "pickup Magic" feel that 1994 Magic should have. I have no problem with 8th blood moons or Mirrodin Terrors, and I feel like disqualifying cards because they aren't old-looking enough is exclusionary and elitist.

Out of curiosity, why isn't Revised allowed? It is older than some of the other legal sets(Legends, The Dark). It seems like an arbitrary barrier to entry that the format allows cards newer than Revised, but doesn't allow Revised itself.

bruizar

I hope you know that alpha and beta were never distributed in Europe. To exclude revised from Magic94 is rewriting magic's history.

May 2010
    Sweden

Nice timing with this thread, as far as I know, the world championship in 93/94 takes place in Gothenburg, Sweden this weekend. Expect A LOT of A/B duals on every table.
    Regarding revised, sure it was released in 93/94 but is banned due to the non-pimp factor. This is a pimp/oldschool format so entry barriers are not really a factor.
    TTP

Nov 2010
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by allek View Post
    Regarding revised, sure it was released in 93/94 but is banned due to the non-pimp factor. This is a pimp/oldschool format so entry barriers are not really a factor.
    it's a mistake to think that age = pimp
    money = pimp
    many newer cards are more pimp than older printings
    i would rather have a summer tropical island than a beta/alpha/unlimited one

if people want to ban revised, that's fine, but your justification is pretty flimsy
    mtgpimp

The Voice of Reason
    Nov 2004
    Chicago

We will be featuring 'Old School Magic' content as a category on Eternal Central soon, including 93-94 Magic, 95 Magic, 96 Magic, 99 Magic, etc. It will probably slowly filter in, but if you want to contribute we'd be more than happy to have more people adding fun content.
    Find me on Twitter at @JMJACO and @EternalCentral. If you have an interest in Vintage Eldrazi, check out my book Eldrazi Meditations.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

I'd say allow new cards in if you don't have them, but attempt to at least all in Revised or older, if possible.

-Matt

We've been having fun just picking a point in the past and playing by that banned and restricted list. Also using the cards functional intent as written by the games designer at the time (e.g. Power Sink actually works, Winter Orb actually works, Relic Barrier actually works, Mirror Universe and Mana Burn in effect).

We picked June 1996 last time ... I rolled with RUG Djinn, faced off against Necro. I have too much Korean and FBB stuff to play the actual Magic 94 rules ... also their BNR list is for fucking pussies.

Quote Originally Posted by allek View Post
    Nice timing with this thread, as far as I know, the world championship in 93/94 takes place in Gothenburg, Sweden this weekend. Expect A LOT of A/B duals on every table.
    Is there any coverage for this?

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    I feel that only using the 93-94 cards, rather than newer equivalents, goes against the "pickup Magic" feel that 1994 Magic should have. I have no problem with 8th blood moons or Mirrodin Terrors, and I feel like disqualifying cards because they aren't old-looking enough is exclusionary and elitist.
    I am under the impression that Magic 94, particularly in Europe, is supposed to be a bit elitist. From the description of the format from the main blog:

"Have you played magic for pretty much your entire life and have nostalgic dreams about the days before modern theory of deck construction and tempo? The days when the deck to beat was just called "The Deck" and you packed Red Elemental Blast in the main for that match up since it was the only match up that mattered?

93/94 is based upon the era where Magic was called just Magic, before all the modern formats like Type 1, Type 2, Type 1.5 or Type 1.X.

In essence 93/94 is a format where pimping your deck matters, and not that fancy pimp you see in modern magic with shiny foils or artist alteration of cards. No, the pimp that matters is owning old school cards, and preferably black bordered one's. The discussion have gone back and forth about Unlimited and Edgar, and as of now, Unlimited is allowed in the format as the "budget" alternative, while Edgar is not allowed for various reasons.

In 93/94 seven sets of magic is allowed, Alpha, Beta, Unlimited, Arabian Nights, Antiquities, Legends and The Dark. Non-English versions and reprints after Unlimited is considered proxy's, and 93/94 is not played with proxy's. You play with what you own, and try to find what you need.

93/94 started in the casual underground magic scene in Gothenburg/Sweden, a town that have fostered many of Sweden's foremost Magic players and given birth to several casual formats targeting the more elitist parts of the broader magic community. Restrictions in construction is something good, and the higher the threshold to get into the format, the better.

Even with this elitist view on the game, the goal and aim for the format is to give room for a very casual environment, and the tournaments usually takes place in hotel rooms close to gaming conventions or pubs, where the overall grown public is chatting, drinking beer and play with the decks that give them nostalgic memories of days that will never return."

Half the point is playing with the cards that most of us used to admire from behind display cases. It is about reliving that nostalgia, and new copies of cards just don't create that experience.

All that being said, I agree with the general notion that Revised should be allowed. While most of Unlimited isn't far off from Revised prices, the bigger cards tend to be (duals, Birds, etc), and I can appreciate not wanting to dump an extra $60-100 on a dual that says "Tap" as opposed to one that uses a tap symbol.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

@nedleeds: Gorgeous. I just got a huge pang of nostalgia. Thanks for posting.

If this were a sanctioned format, I'd be playing this nonstop. I love it.

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Since we are on the topic, thoughts on my deck? No pics yet because most of it is in the mail:

SORCERIES: 3
    1x Demonic Tutor
    1x Wheel of Fortune
    1x Balance

INSTANTS: 4
    4x Dark Ritual

CREATURES: 4
    4x Guardian Beast

ENCHANTMENTS: 7
    4x Underworld Dreams
    3x Paralyze

ARTIFACTS: 20
    4x Howling Mine
    3x Icy Manipulator
    3x Winter Orb
    2x Nevinyrral's Disk
    2x Meekstone
    2x Relic Barrier
    1x Sol Ring
    1x Mana Vault
    1x Black Vise
    1x Chaos Orb

LANDS: 22
    10x Swamp
    4x Badlands
    4x Scrubland
    3x City of Brass
    1x Library of Alexandria

SIDEBOARD: 15
    3x Red Elemental Blast
    3x Disenchant
    2x Millstone
    2x Relic Barrier
    2x Ivory Tower
    1x Nether Void
    1x Mind Twist
    1x Feldon's Cane

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

No coverage yet, but photos of the winner and second place can be found on facebook http://www.facebook.com/christoffer..../4564716715488
    The Guy holding the Trophy is obviosly the winner.
    In the comment section it's declared that deck lists will be published later at http://www.Svenskamagic.com

some more pictures:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...8725404&type=1

Aug 2011
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by JACO View Post
    We will be featuring 'Old School Magic' content as a category on Eternal Central soon, including 93-94 Magic, 95 Magic, 96 Magic, 99 Magic, etc.
    Do these formats exist? I was 10 years old and not into magic around '93-'94 so owning the cards which I've looked at behind glass displays equate playing Vintage for me, but I could do '96 and '99 for nostalgia purposes..

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    No coverage yet, but photos of the winner and second place can be found on facebook http://www.facebook.com/christoffer..../4564716715488
    The Guy holding the Trophy is obviosly the winner.
    In the comment section it's declared that deck lists will be published later at http://www.Svenskamagic.com

some more pictures:

Tried viewing the pictures but it looks like they're restricted to friends or maybe friends of friends. Looking forward to decklists.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Thread Information