Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Modern Metagame

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Modern Metagame - Feb/Mar 2013

Modern has become quite the interesting format with a lot of different archetypes. In order to keep track of which of those decks are doing well and which don't I thought about posting a breakdown of the meta-game. Like Nihil Credo does for Legacy, but every two months instead of every single one, because Modern isn't as popular and has fewer tournaments going on except for PTQ seasons, but I think there is a need for a somewhat current breakdown in order to obtain the best ratio of relevance and accuracy (which sets this one apart from Feline's 'Tier'-thread and TheCouncil's monthly rankings).

February/March 2013

Fix: "Punkte" means score

Major Tournaments:
    Grand Prix San Diego 2013 - 17/03/2013 - Winner: Second Breakfast

As you can see UWR Midrange is by far the most popular and successful archetype followed by Jund and Birthing Pod (Kiki-Jiki). Twin, Affinity and RG Tron are the follow-up candidates, although Zoo has made a comeback thanks to the printing of Burning-Tree Emissary and some others (e.g. Experiment One).

Source: TheCouncil's monthly rankings
    Last edited by JDK; 04-04-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Re: Modern Metagame

Good work H3llsp4wn, this is really helpful to gauge where Modern sits right now.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    I just wish WotC would stop banning stuff and let the format stabilize.

Or just reprint Force of Will. Either solution is fine with me.
    This is so helpful to the discussion of the hard work H3llsp4wn did. Thanks for contributing meaningfully.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Looking at UWR (I also play it), I don't see any one piece that you'd off the bat say "way too powerful". Maybe a case could be made for SCM, but still I'd say "no". If UWR continues to do well, you think Wizards will ban it/cripple it like they did with Jund?

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Sorry, what are the axes on this graph?

Is it just decks that made the top 8? If so it's hard to say that UWR is doing the best as field saturation can make even the worse decks have a high frequency of placement.

I'm also wondering where UWR aggro is? I would have assumed that would be a different category since it functions pretty differently than UWR Midrange (I'm thinking midrange is more the Kitchen Finks + Restoration Angel, and aggro is Steppe Lynx or Goblin Guides). If they actually are combined right now I think that WUR Midrange would still be the top played deck, but not by nearly as much.

I don't really see a reason to ban anything UWR decks right now, but I'd love to see some win percentages on them compared to the rest of the format.

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

I realized the table says "Punkte" (german for 'points' or 'score'). The graph is just a visual representation of the table, to illustrate the difference in points. The points are given by TheCouncil's "Tier deck"-system:
    This application it's a way to determine the tier decks of a selected month. This system gives each archetype one point for each round of the tournament based on it's asistance (note by me: probably 'appearance') and one point for each round won in the top 8.
    Is it just decks that made the top 8? If so it's hard to say that UWR is doing the best as field saturation can make even the worse decks have a high frequency of placement.
    That pretty much irrelevant if you want to determine the decks you have to face in a tournament rather than the "best" deck. That's why I said "most popular and successful" and not "best".

A quick search for Modern decks with Delver of Secrets and (Goblin Guide or Steppe Lynx) will show you, that there are non listed under "WUR Midrange" in the relevant period of time. However, those decks from the glorious UWR Delver days are actually in the same category. I guess the admin of TheCouncil just renamed the category after Delver lost it's place and completely got replaced by the Midrange approach. As long as Delver doesn't make a comeback, it's no problem.

If you want win percentages you have to look out for Wizards tournament reports (PT, eventually GPs).

WUR aggro is different from WUR mid-range.

The former has delver and lynx but hasn't been the popular choice lately. WUR-midrange has been the deck putting up most of the numbers. Geist, Snappy, Clique, lots of burn and counter spells seems to be the general shape of the deck.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

What surprises me is that Jund is still the "second best" deck.

I know it's still a deck post-banning but to really keep up like that, I guess BBE is way over the top.

What saddens me is that U/R storm isn't even a factor in the meta.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

I'm not surprised at Jund. Jund's shell is still strong, and it's power level:manacurve is better than 90% of what other decks are trying to do at turn 1, turn 2, turn 3.

Quote Originally Posted by H3llsp4wn View Post
    Please tell us more about things everyone knows about. Your input to the discussion is as valuable as ever.
    How about this then:

Delver is very bad in Modern. You have little to no mana denial to capitalize on him, most decks run far too much removal for him to stick around, and you don't have Brainstorm to ensure that he's a 3/2 on turn 2.

You won't have to worry about him coming back to Modern anytime soon and screwing up TC deck database. I seriously don't know why decks thought using him in the past was a good idea. Cards that work in one format are terrible in another.

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    What surprises me is that Jund is still the "second best" deck.

I know it's still a deck post-banning but to really keep up like that, I guess BBE is way over the top.
    It has Tarmogoyf, Abrupt Decay, Deathrite Shaman, and Dark Confidant in it. It's not that surprising that it's still doing well as it's just a "good stuff" deck.

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

How about this then:

Delver is very bad in Modern. You have little to no mana denial to capitalize on him, most decks run far too much removal for him to stick around, and you don't have Brainstorm to ensure that he's a 3/2 on turn 2.

You won't have to worry about him coming back to Modern anytime soon and screwing up TC deck database. I seriously don't know why decks thought using him in the past was a good idea. Cards that work in one format are terrible in another.
    Delver is not per se bad in Modern, but way below the value he has in Legacy. The metagame is shifting and Delver.dec was a very strong contender back in early to mid 2012.

Anyway, your point is?

@(nameless one)
    I could still cry at the Seething Song ban, but we have to move on. ^^

How about this then:

I mostly agree. Serum Visions is the only decent 1 mana blue spell to help make Delver of Secrets and even this is not ideal.

Great statistics. I was really surprised because this is not the metagame I see on MTGO.

Dec 2011
    USA

Gosh I love stuff like this, thank you H3llsp4wn!
    Primary legacy deck High Tide primer

Anyway, your point is?
    My point is that WUR decks with delver/lynx are significantly different from WUR mid-range decks and not just a couple cards different. It might seem like an obvious point to make, but making the point that Devler is very bad in Modern is one worth making. Lynx in all honesty probably had a much larger role in making the deck good.

Also, Geist, but he goes without saying. Being immune to 90% of the formats removal is a nice plus.

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

My point is that WUR decks with delver/lynx are significantly different from WUR mid-range decks and not just a couple cards different.
    No one denies that. I was just talking about the categories used on TC.

@feline
    You're welcome.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Not crying about Seething Song.

I couldn't care less as a run Tron in Modern
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

No one denies that. I was just talking about the categories used on TC.

@feline
    You're welcome.
    And that data is flat out wrong. TC decks screwed up because (IIRC) it does include WUR delver decks in the UWR Mid range group.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

And that data is flat out wrong. TC decks screwed up because (IIRC) it does include WUR delver decks in the UWR Mid range group.
    Don't blame them. Not even WotC gives a fuck about categorisation or Deck names (See TES/ANT)
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Don't blame them. Not even WotC gives a fuck about categorisation or Deck names (See TES/ANT)
    Well someone should care. Otherwise, it makes it harder to discuss deck archtypes effectively and accurately record which decks are performing well. It's like someone going to the Esperblade deck and claiming their burn deck is also esperblade because they shoved a SFM and a swamp into it (extreme example).

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

I know, reading is very hard, but I kindly advise you to try reading my previous post:
    A quick search for Modern decks with Delver of Secrets and (Goblin Guide or Steppe Lynx) will show you, that there are non listed under "WUR Midrange" in the relevant period of time. However, those decks from the glorious UWR Delver days are actually in the same category. I guess the admin of TheCouncil just renamed the category after Delver lost it's place and completely got replaced by the Midrange approach. As long as Delver doesn't make a comeback, it's no problem.
    So no, the data is not flat out wrong.

Thread Information