Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [DGM] New mechanic - Fusion

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

[DGM] New mechanic - Fusion

God damn! Was it really required to squeeze good old "entwine" into an ugly cardframe just for the sake of being new?!

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazin...y/feature/242b

"designing Magic is hard"
    "something that screamed out to players that they should buy this set"

(Highlighted exactly as in the original WotC article)
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Mar 2013
    Tampa, FL

Re: [DGM] New mechanic - Fusion

One of these cards (Beck) is Glimpse of freakin Nature for and goes on creatures hitting the field as opposed to being cast. We'll probably see it get played in modern for sure so combo elves can come back but what about Legacy? I really doubt it personally but could anyone see Elves getting a bit greedier with their mana base and playing this?
    Main deck: Maverick
    Secondary decks: High Tide // Affinity
    MTGO decks: Affinity

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Wear & Tear
    Instant [U]

Wear 1R
    Destroy target artifact.

Tear W
    Destroy target enchantment.

Fuse (You may cast one or both halves of this card from your hand.)
    I think this one is potentially playable as a sideboard card. I'd feel a lot more confident if Zoo were still a real deck.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    I think this one is potentially playable as a sideboard card. I'd feel a lot more confident if Zoo were still a real deck.
    Would be a nice Wish target if sorcery
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

I hope some of these make nice Cascade targets similar to Boom // Bust.

Quote Originally Posted by CardboardCrack View Post
    I just thought about it too; however you won't be able to fuse them (as it only works from your hand).

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Would be a nice Wish target if sorcery
    So... Hull Breach then?
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

In response: Snapcaster Mage
    Feb 2011

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFlameAshura View Post
    One of these cards (Beck) is Glimpse of freakin Nature for and goes on creatures hitting the field as opposed to being cast. We'll probably see it get played in modern for sure so combo elves can come back but what about Legacy? I really doubt it personally but could anyone see Elves getting a bit greedier with their mana base and playing this?
    There have been already elves list with U. Playing additional colors is not the problem. However not enough Glimpse is not the problem elves is having. Especially today were the lists are much less focused on glimpse combo but can just win by pooping out some dudes and casting NO.

Edit: But I think there is some kind of stupid belcher like kobold deck which relies on glimpse. They would appreciate Glimpse 5-8 I think.
    Currently playing: Elves

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth View Post
    So... Hull Breach then?
    Yes, staying with breach so far.

Edit: Hope the Fusion cards Turn Out unplayable. Don't want to mix even more cardframes in a single deck *puke*

Old Border
    New Border
    Timeshifted
    Miracle
    Fusion
    2-Faced-Cards (Delver)
    Flip-Cards (Kamigawa)

A Punishing Fire Nic Fit already Looks like a Picasso

Join us at Facebook!

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Am I really that old, or are there others who are completely disinterested in any part of that article except for the card images?

BTW, good job on the look of the cards. It yells loudly that you can cast both or just one.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

λόγος + τέλος
    Feb 2011
    New York

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Am I really that old, or are there others who are completely disinterested in any part of that article except for the card images?
    Pretty stuff is pretty. Useless and pretty.
    Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    If you have 3 mana and 2 draws and can't win through bullshit permanents, you are mentally deficient and probably want to examine a game with less thought. I recommend Lawn Darts.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

BTW, good job on the look of the cards. It yells loudly that you can cast both or just one.
    I'm the same way, I skimmed bits and just went for the images.

I really like this execution of split cards. I've always loved split cards. It has the "everything is kicker" problem, sure fine whatever, "everything" does. It's actually a lot more like multicolor-Entwine than Kicker.

The only question I really have right now is, if you cast both halves of the spell are there two spells on the stack, or just one spell with two effects? If I Fuse Beck and Call, does my opponent have to counter both halves, or just target one spell? In my skimming I didn't see any hint at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

More split cards... can we finally get one that has two good numbers for counterbalance that is playable? :)

Is it too much to ask for a 1/4 or a 2/3?

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

I reloaded it like 4 times before realizing I had to click the links to make the images show up. Who reads an article on a new set coming out and DOESN'T want to see the spoilers?!?!
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I'm the same way, I skimmed bits and just went for the images.

I really like this execution of split cards. I've always loved split cards. It has the "everything is kicker" problem, sure fine whatever, "everything" does. It's actually a lot more like multicolor-Entwine than Kicker.

The only question I really have right now is, if you cast both halves of the spell are there two spells on the stack, or just one spell with two effects? If I Fuse Beck and Call, does my opponent have to counter both halves, or just target one spell? In my skimming I didn't see any hint at that.
    ...Wait a few days for the FAQ?

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    ...Wait a few days for the FAQ?

BUT I HAVE QUESTIONS TODAY.

srsly, i know. i'll live. it's just a curiosity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Super Secret Tech "Ooh...shiny!"
    Jul 2010
    Edinboro, PA

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    More split cards... can we finally get one that has two good numbers for counterbalance that is playable? :)

The converted mana cost of a split card is both "halves" of the card. Flip a split card with Bob and you lose life equal to the CMC of both "halves," I don't see why it would any different with Counterbalance.

I would think that since it's one card being played that it only counts as one spell, sort of like entwine back in Mirrodin, but not positive, that's pure speculation.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Can't understand wanting the new new border if you have a choice, for any reason. You have to be a casual or have rickets.
    Cockatrice: EMFry

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post

Bounce/cantrip spell on 1/2, some counterspell on 3/4... Come on WotC! Make my dream come true!

Quote Originally Posted by CardboardCrack View Post
    We already got one; Beck // Call is a 2CMC target that puts 4 1/1 Fliers on the field (with a marginal but not awful 2CMC side).

I would think that since it's one card being played that it only counts as one spell, sort of like entwine back in Mirrodin, but not positive, that's pure speculation.
    Article on the Mechanic: http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazin.../feature/242#1

So yes, it's basically Entwine if you "cast" both halves from your hand, do the effects from left to right etc., and functions exactly like a normal split card in any other circumstance. It counts as one spell (one counterspell counters both effects), and the CMC is the sum of the two costs (i.e Toil//Trouble fused would have a cost of 4RB).

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Fry View Post
    The converted mana cost of a split card is both "halves" of the card. Flip a split card with Bob and you lose life equal to the CMC of both "halves," I don't see why it would any different with Counterbalance.

I promise you counterbalance is not the combined cost, but in fact each cost. I've tried a lot of bad split cards for this reason. Confidant does the total because it looks at both and deals damage for both. Counterbalance looks at both, sees the cost of one is equal and says that checks out.

Edit - to clarify, I mean revealing a split card to counter either cost of spell on the stack.

Thread Information