Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [DGM] Ral Zarek

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Re: [DGM] Ral Zarek

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    I dunno, seems like Ajani Vengeant does exactly what this one does but much better. It might be relevant to the format if there is a deck that plays UR without W but I don't see it.
    Ral feels like a combat walker (tapping down an opposing blocker and swinging in with Geist) whereas Ajani Vengeant definitely feels like a control walker. I think it just depends on what you're looking for your 4cc walker to do for you. Although in the context of Modern UWR Midrange, Elspeth would be better than both Ajani Vengeant and Ral Zarek.

The guy combos sweetly with Stasis

I expect it will not be good enough for Legacy though

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

I think the thing that people are missing with the Ajani Vengeant comparison is that Ral Zarek taps something. Ajani keeps something from untapping, but you can't hit something that's already untapped. Of course, your opponent gets to untap it again on their turn, so it's terrible from a defensive standpoint, but as Vacrix pointed out, it's good for getting creatures through. I'm saying this is potentially Legacy playable, definitely Modern playable and nutty in Standard, at least until the October Rotation when Geist of Saint Traft goes away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeyMikey View Post
    I think the thing that people are missing with the Ajani Vengeant comparison is that Ral Zarek taps something. Ajani keeps something from untapping, but you can't hit something that's already untapped. Of course, your opponent gets to untap it again on their turn, so it's terrible from a defensive standpoint, but as Vacrix pointed out, it's good for getting creatures through. I'm saying this is potentially Legacy playable, definitely Modern playable and nutty in Standard, at least until the October Rotation when Geist of Saint Traft goes away.
    I generally agree with this sentiment, with a caveat: I think Tribal decks will splash the other color for a 2-of from the SB, to push through the last points of damage either with the +1 or the -2. The -2 will be especially useful with Merfolk's more Tempo game. Could it spawn another deck? Possible, but unlikely. After all, Ral is made of AWESOME.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by marax View Post
    True.

I expect it will not be good enough for Legacy though
    You already said that.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

All the designers that worked on this product are fantastic except the lead designer, so I predict plenty of fun cards and horribly unimaginative mechanics.
    Please stop talking about whether Force of Will is broken or not. It obviously is, and rather than "the glue that holds vintage together" it would be better to call it "the rug under which you hide the filth until there's so much that you can no longer conceal it".

Sep 2009
    Michigan, US

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Kills Lodestone for 5 mana ... Unplayable. Vintage is done unless WotC slaps more restrictions or enables the format to free from the stranglehold of Shops and Bazaar
    This is laughable. A year ago people were complaining that the blue decks had finally "solved" vintage, and a year before that Shops was again the bogeyman of the format.

I'd agree that Ral is unplayable because of JTMS...but Stasis is a thing. Ral seems absurd for it. No longer having to splash hard into green or rely on Forsaken City or weird, combined effects. Just one Planeswalker makes the deck.

Hostile to humans

Mar 2008
    Moscow, Russia

Quote Originally Posted by marax View Post
    And Winter Orb.
    As being said, UR Goblin Welder-Tangle Wire-stuff tier 3 decks are getting a boost.
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by evanmartyr View Post
    I'd agree that Ral is unplayable because of JTMS...
    To be fair, every Planeswalker being made post-Jace the Wallet Slayer will be "unplayable" because WotC would have to make it so good that they'd need to ban it in Standard. Ral will find a home somewhere as he has pretty decent abilities.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Liliana is VERY playable in a post Jace era... I could possibly see Ral seeing some play
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Liliana is VERY playable in a post Jace era... I could possibly see Ral seeing some play
    I think he meant 4cc planeswalkers as non-4cc planeswalkers (like Liliana of the Veil) obviously aren't fighting with Jace for consideration on that manacurve slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Which is why I had "unplayable" in quotations.

Liliana and Elspeth are quite playable, but not as broken as Jace.

Sep 2009
    Michigan, US

Garruk Relentless is also sweet. And Sorin does a good Elspeth impression.

I would be interested in seeing some sort of riduculous RUG Stasis deck with Winter Orb, Ral, Forsaken City, and Quirion Ranger / Scryb Sprite. There is still the issue of killing them, however.

Feb 2010
    Houston,texas

Re: The testing of banned cards?

Yeah, so stasis lock is my pet deck.

The issue is that red brings nothing else, imo. I am on U/G with Winter Orb, Stasis, Tanglewire. GSZ for mana dorks and untappers to sustain lock along with Garruk. I am currently testing 1 huntmaster to speed up the clockand kill utility creatures that make it through.

I haven't tested Tamiyo but that feels better since the draw is potentially nuts. Tapped Hierarch, Ranger, Dryad arbor, beast token...draw 4 thanks! Tamiyo's +1 is nice as well. If threats make it through, it's usually just one, maybe two, perma tap is nice. But Tamiyo's ultimate sucks in stasis. Surei get my stuff back, but it's no wincon.

JTMS is great in stasis. We dump our hand quickly and the card quality/adv is great. Threatsthat make it through can be bounced. Fatseal to keep the off the few outs they have, and he is a win con to boot. JTMS > Tamiyo.

Ral? His +1 is awesome for stasis. His -2 is awesome as well. Stasis needs removal. His ultimate is stupid. I get that mtg has a random component...the top of my library, that's all the variance i care to endure. What am i gonna do, even if i flip 3, so what? I mean, what a retarded fucking ultimate. Three turns of exalted ranger beats, yay.

I will def test though, his +1 rocks hard and his -2 is very solid. One taiga + birds is prolly fine. Rangers save duals from wastelands pretty well. But, he sustains lock very well, so may want to run three?

Outside of Huntmaster and Ral, how can red benefit U/G Stasis?

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

This look like a planeswalker for artifacts decks to me. Tangle Wire, Welder, Mana stones etc... I don't know if this is better than the not so old UB artifact decks that attacked with 5/5 strixes and whatsnot (probably no) but it open possibilities in another color. Welder should still be a pretty good card with a deck that can support it (aka not die if welder do).

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Oiolosse View Post
    Pyro/REB
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

I think this card is going to be solid in the right deck. I agree that he is worse than jace, but his first abioity will create some cool interactions, he can create CA, and his ultimate should win you the game. Also, his ultimate comes much quicker than a jace ultimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Oiolosse View Post
    Ral? His +1 is awesome for stasis. His -2 is awesome as well. Stasis needs removal. His ultimate is stupid. I get that mtg has a random component...the top of my library, that's all the variance i care to endure. What am i gonna do, even if i flip 3, so what? I mean, what a retarded fucking ultimate. Three turns of exalted ranger beats, yay.

Even if you ult and flip two extra turns, that means you can let Stasis die, untap, and cast another one while your opponent does nothing. It gives you extra cards to protect the lock. It can let you play enough lands or recharge Forsaken City to drop another Planeswalker or a creature (cough, Huntmaster, cough) to win while Ral rebuilds loyalty maintaining the lock.

He seems really damn good. He does what Garruk does but he appears to do it better. Maybe think about a switch away from UGr towards URg? I mean sure, red adds very little other than Ral and Huntmaster, but those two things are pretty impressive.

Dec 2011
    USA

Ha ha Stasis, the ultimate prison deck! Has "that deck" had any success in the past, 5 years, I have to admit that is a type of deck I would not mind seeing make a splash somewhere, when I actually played it though it was like 10 years ago and even then it was more of a "fun" or at least "fun for me" deck.
    Primary legacy deck High Tide primer

Thread Information