Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: [DGM] New Set spoiler discussion!

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

[DGM] New Set spoiler discussion!

It's that time of year again. The flowers are blooming, pants are becoming shorts, and new cards are getting spoiled left and right.
    What do you guys think, of what's spoiled so far (if anything at all), could have a place in Legacy?

Relevant links:
    http://imgur.com/a/CAEp7

Would you splash blue to have 8 Glimpses in Combo Elves?
    Counterspell/Orim's Chant on one card is neat, but are there any 3-mana counterspells in Legacy?
    So far, I'm not feeling anything that's come out.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Re: [DGM] New Set spoiler discussion!

That's no glimpse. That with wirewood hivemaster is the tits. Use forbidden orchard as a land for added value, as you don't really care about a single blocker when you have infinite power on the board via craterhoof behemoth.

It's probably worse than glimpse as a deck, but could have more interesting uses and synergies.

Ral Zarek is also a decent walker that could be broken if the right deck get made for it, and is probably really good in vintage because of Key/Vault and how good in general untapping things there is.

Beck//Call could potentially be a Shardless Cascade target. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by ManyCookies View Post
    Beck//Call could potentially be a Shardless Cascade target. *shrug*
    Shardless Agent into Most-of-a-Lingering-Souls seems not bad, but then you're not actually interested in trying to cast either side of Beck//Call in that deck. I doubt you want more than four "you can't actually cast this" cards.

Why is it only most of a Lingering Souls?

But yes, the main issue would be Beck's usefulness if drawn. Which would basically be cantripping for 2 mana the majority of the time, which is relatively low value for a deck trying to vomit value.

Quote Originally Posted by ManyCookies View Post
    Why is it only most of a Lingering Souls?
    Because for some reason I thought Souls was five tokens.

Anyway, yeah, neither half is that great if you're actually paying retail. The card isn't particularly playable in this format.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

This one looks interesting, although I have no idea how to abuse it.

Edit:

This one seems pretty good with Cabal Therapy.

Dec 2011
    USA

I just want to see what the potential Legacy card is from the set, something we see that everyone knows it's going somewhere, Gatecrash was kinda a bust, though Return to Ravnica was obviously nice with Shaman/Decay.

Something that promotes 2 colors would be nice to see from Gatecrash that impacts Legacy, in either case, so far those cards are just "meh" I don't see them fitting into anything, but the spoilers have just started really.
    Primary legacy deck High Tide primer

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Sin Collector might be okay but not great in Deadguy? Unlike Tidehollow Sculler they never get the card back if they kill him. It's sort of dumb but he can be blinked for great success. I dunno. He's probably just a 2/1 for 3 with an ability that whiffs against decks with creatures. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Beck//Call triggering on creatures entering play makes Zombie Infestation HILARIOUS. Seems a fairly simple deck to build, honestly. Throw in some hand disruption, maybe a teeny bit of mana acceleration, some filtering, one Anger, one Wonder, etc. Deck makes itself.

Master of Cruelties + any Ninja seems like a pretty unexpected way to get Phage's instant death effect. Does the timing on that work?

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Because for some reason I thought Souls was five tokens.

Anyway, yeah, neither half is that great if you're actually paying retail. The card isn't particularly playable in this format.
    This. If you think you're going to be good on running Beck in Legacy, you're just like that song he did. I hope someone will surprise me with it though because let's face it, variety is variety.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeLiam View Post
    Master of Cruelties + any Ninja seems like a pretty unexpected way to get Phage's instant death effect. Does the timing on that work?
    Yes. You can respond to the unblocked trigger with Ninjutsu for hilarity, then any Ninja will kill. I much prefer Geistflame as a kill, though. Also turns off Force's ACC.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Master of Cruelties is plain stupid in Kaalia.edh
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Isn't Master of cruellty a good sideboard card for Burn decks vs show and tell decks?
    If your opponent show and tell for Emrakul, you put master of cruellty in play and attack with it. your opponent has to block it, because he will be down to 1 and could be killed with burn.

What's the usual sideboarding strategy of burn vs show and tell?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Isn't Master of cruellty a good sideboard card for Burn decks vs show and tell decks?
    If your opponent show and tell for Emrakul, you put master of cruellty in play and attack with it. your opponent has to block it, because he will be down to 1 and could be killed with burn.

What's the usual sideboarding strategy of burn vs show and tell?
    Read the card; then we can talk about the bad idea of adding Black mana and running a 5cc creature in a Deck with ~16 lands
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Read the card; then we can talk about the bad idea of adding Black mana and running a 5cc creature in a Deck with ~16 lands
    I said sideboard card, just like Mindbreak trap would be a sideboard card against storm, but you don't add blue to your deck for it.
    You don't want to cast it. you want to put it into play with show and tell and force your opponent to block it with either griselbrand or Emrakul (if not, they die).
    Of course if he plays omniscience, you're doomed :p
    Anyway, I was just adding what came to my mind when i started thinking about what we could do with that card in legacy.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    I said sideboard card, just like Mindbreak trap would be a sideboard card against storm, but you don't add blue to your deck for it.
    You don't want to cast it. you want to put it into play with show and tell and force your opponent to block it with either griselbrand or Emrakul (if not, they die).
    Of course if he plays omniscience, you're doomed :p
    Anyway, I was just adding what came to my mind when i started thinking about what we could do with that card in legacy.
    Again, read the card. That's not how Master of Cruelties work. He must be UNBLOCKED to reduce the life to 1. In your case Emrakul simply blocks MoC to death and nothing else happens

Join us at Facebook!

Site Contributor
    Sep 2009
    London, UK

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Again, read the card. That's not how Master of Cruelties work. He must be UNBLOCKED to reduce the life to 1. In your case Emrakul simply blocks MoC to death and nothing else happens
    Emrakul would die by blocking the Master...

In response: Snapcaster Mage
    Feb 2011

If you are willing to play narrow sideboard cards which you only put into play of an opponents show&tell there are much better options, which also hit omniscience.
    Currently playing: Elves

Thread Information