Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: [DGM] New Set spoiler discussion!

bruizar

Re: [DGM] New Set spoiler discussion!

it can be burning wished for in nic fit..

Gaze of Granite pretty terrible. The problem is not that it clears the board for 6-7 mana, its the fact that because it costs so much that you cant play around daze or spell pierce.

Quote Originally Posted by GradStudentGuy View Post
    Gaze of Granite pretty terrible. The problem is not that it clears the board for 6-7 mana, its the fact that because it costs so much that you cant play around daze or spell pierce.
    It's not terrible, but that is the one enormous problem with it in Legacy.

With Deed you can drop it safely without having to pay the X portion of the cost - or right after checking the opponent's hand with Therapy or some such - to avoid Spell Pierce/Daze. Because of the all-at-once nature of the casting cost, you're going to get absolutely wrecked by RUG and whatnot when they tax you after you put in a ton of mana.

To put it another way, you might be able to play it properly around countermagic against decks with low curves, but Pernicious Deed is just plain better against all those decks - obvious exception of RUG with stifle - because you don't have to worry about wiping walkers and Deed wipes everything else cheaper.
    Last edited by HPB_Eggo; 04-20-2013 at 07:10 PM.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/art...agonsmaze/cig#

Full set is out. I don't see much.

Jun 2008
    Denver, CO

Yeah, very disappointing

Too many over-costed cards.

This set is worse than gatecrash in terms of legacy playable cards and that is saying something.

Quote Originally Posted by dameus View Post
    Yeah, very disappointing

Too many over-costed cards.
    Yeah, Gatecrash is pretty bad. Here's hoping Dragon's Maze is better...

OH WAIT

I guess this set is a fitting way to end this block: lazy, phoned in, and with an extra mana tacked on to everything.

Also, the rare blue cipher card is lulzy.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Yeah, Gatecrash is pretty bad. Here's hoping Dragon's Maze is better...

OH WAIT

I guess this set is a fitting way to end this block: lazy, phoned in, and with an extra mana tacked on to everything.

Also, the rare blue cipher card is lulzy.
    I dont get that card at all... I mean why is it a rare can it really mess up limited that bad as a common?

Quote Originally Posted by GradStudentGuy View Post
    I dont get that card at all... I mean why is it a rare can it really mess up limited that bad as a common?
    Pretty much all of the cards with that effect are rare, so that's not the issue. It's that:

1) Dimir was generally shafted in this block, thanks to overcosted cipher cards and grind,

2) The card does very little in this block,

3) The card has very little to gain from being a cipher card operating at sorcery-speed.

It's just...cipher was unappealing enough as it was, why compound the problem by making a card like this? IIRC there was already a card with similar effect and buyback in Tempest and that thing is so forgettable I can't even remember its name.

Mar 2013
    Tampa, FL

Skylasher 1
    Creature - Insect (Rare)
    Flash
    Can't be countered.
    Protection from blue, reach.
    2/2

Wow, DGM is kinda disappointing overall and I may have jumped the gun a little earlier with Voice of Resurgence but this guy seems legitimately solid. He's definitely gonna see some eternal play but the question becomes how does he stack up compared to Scryb Ranger? I'm not entirely sold on him just yet because Scryb Ranger offers actual flying and utility in handling Wastes and such but Skylasher's inability to be countered and that it actually kills flipped Delvers and Geists rather than merely blocking them can't really be overlooked, I think. I suppose it's the sort of thing where it might be more of a meta and play style call over anything.

EDIT: Guess I'm a bit late to the party on this one. Didn't even realize he'd already been leaked a few days ago.
    Main deck: Maverick
    Secondary decks: High Tide // Affinity
    MTGO decks: Affinity

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

It's a two mana answer to a one mana card that does almost nothing else and dies to every actually played removal spell in the format except Force of Will which no one would use on him anyway.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

I will probably play Gaze although it is terrible.

So uh, set verdict: Upgrade to Disenchant if you're splashing red? Whooooot.

What did You think guys about Notion Thief ? Any Chance to see play as a sideboard card ?

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I will probably play Gaze although it is terrible.

So uh, set verdict: Upgrade to Disenchant if you're splashing red? Whooooot.
    Yeah...
    Best card of the set: Wear/Tear.
    Worth trying out: Gaze, Skylasher, Nocturn Theif, Hidden Strings
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

In all seriousness, I'm kind of impressed at just how badly GTC and DGM sucked compared to RtR and the original RGD. I mean, to throw that much coasting into your most popular world after starting it off so strongly, balls. Big brass ones. No way any of the peeps at wotc are walking straight today. Just hopping around on the clangers like it's a south park episode.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    In all seriousness, I'm kind of impressed at just how badly GTC and DGM sucked compared to RtR and the original RGD. I mean, to throw that much coasting into your most popular world after starting it off so strongly, balls. Big brass ones. No way any of the peeps at wotc are walking straight today. Just hopping around on the clangers like it's a south park episode.
    I'm also suprised how stuff like Mindstatic (Manaleak for , CC: ) and Warleader's Helix made it through development.

Those are terribly uninspiring designs.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

I mean to be honest, the original Ravnica block was one of the more underwhelming blocks for Eternal formats, certainly outside of Ravnica itself.

The design was really fun and interesting though. Those sets were full of cards that you knew weren't Legacy viable but wanted to play anyway. Fuck, that's probably why EDH got invented.

This set? It's complete dogshit, I don't want to play 90% of these cards in any format and have no idea why they were printed. Lazy, shitty design.

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Well, considering Wizards essentially "killed off" Dominaria long ago, you'd have to figure that their primary business model seems to be taking the basic concept of the game into new types of stories, following the same "memes" of M:tG.
    Like, Innistrad and Zendikar were sick nasty. To be completely honest, I'd be happy if there was never a return to either of those because the story has already been written on those parchments.
    I can also understand how it might be slightly easier to put the post-time spiral "Bradywalkers" into old planes for some quick and easy-to-design sets. Just make a bunch of references to old cards (Helix, for example) to shut up the fanboys and then move on. Ravnica fanboys in particular are the worst. There's something about the people who are super-attached to the fluff behind the guilds and whatnot that just upsets me. They're like the soccer moms with those stick-figure sticker effigies of their families on the back window of their minivans of the M:tG fandom.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    They're like the soccer moms with those stick-figure sticker effigies of their families on the back window of their minivans of the M:tG fandom.

I lol'ed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I facepalm so hard in Public that hipsters gonna make this a new trend

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Only crappy stuff, nothing that will affect the Legacy meta.
    But I'm actually pretty happy about that. I'm not particularly rich right now.

Thread Information