Thread: Rotation in Standard

Rotation in Standard

How big is the influence of a rotation in Standard on the price of legacy playable cards? i usually dont care about standard and its rotation, but i need/want 3 geists of saint traft. As far as i know, they will rotate out this fall... right? will this influence its price?

how low do you expect them to drop? will the price not drop at all, cause they are widely played in modern as well as in some legacy-SB?

does anyone have some experience with comparable cards? thanks for any inputs!

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Re: Rotation in Standard

The short answer is no one really knows. It should drop (since there are a lot of people that only play standard). However there are also a lot of people, like you and me, waiting for rotation before buying any so it may not drop that much or may take 6 months to get down to $15 again.

Look at Prime Time for a hot standard card that dropped in price after rotation - http://ark42.com/mtg/pricehistory.ph...eval+Titan&d=0
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Quote Originally Posted by lyracian View Post
    The short answer is no one really knows.
    i am aware that no one can forsee the future :-)

but you do expect geist to drop back to 15$? i rather expect him to stay high cause of the demand from modern! the important question is: how much of the just-standard-player are existing and waiting to sell their geists?

excuse my english..

Depends if its modern playable. It use to be if a Standard stable rotates out it would drop like a brick in most cases unless it was something like Jace, Now, if the card is modern playable it will see a small price drop then in 6 months re reach or exceed ts old value. The best time to buy these cross format standard cards may be after the MTGO redemption for the set kicks in.

Quote Originally Posted by GradStudentGuy View Post
    The best time to buy these cross format standard cards may be after the MTGO redemption for the set kicks in.
    When? Sorry, i dont get that..

As has been said above, Geist price is probably unlikely to tank much, as it's still Modern playable card and is played as 4-of or 3-of in one of the tier 1 decks. It could drop a little when the market is oversaturated when standard players sell their sets, all in all it won't be much (as they are very likely to sell them with little to no loss) and your best bet is to find some player that purchased them when they were cheap and doesn't mind meeting you half way with the price. Long term I'd expect them to climb (look at the price of Vendilion Clique for example).

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Lim-Dul View Post
    How big is the influence of a rotation in Standard on the price of legacy playable cards? i usually dont care about standard and its rotation, but i need/want 3 geists of saint traft. As far as i know, they will rotate out this fall... right? will this influence its price?

how low do you expect them to drop? will the price not drop at all, cause they are widely played in modern as well as in some legacy-SB?

does anyone have some experience with comparable cards? thanks for any inputs!
    For Geist there would be no big price drop after rotation because he's a prime player in Modern for the time being
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    For Geist there would be no big price drop after rotation because he's a prime player in Modern for the time being
    This. And one of the most popular decks in Legacy (EsperBlade) usually uses him as a 3-of in the sideboard. Not a huge price influence, but that should also be thrown out there.

Geist wont be dropping in price. He's amazing in Modern and sees play in Legacy.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by lyracian View Post
    Look at Prime Time for a hot standard card that dropped in price after rotation - http://ark42.com/mtg/pricehistory.ph...eval+Titan&d=0
    He also got banned in EDH which didn't help its popularity either.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Im curious to see what Lily and Snappy do. I mean they are actually better in eternal formats than standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Cards that see Standard play always drop due to rotation (though it should be noted that much of the price drop occurs in the months prior to rotation). However, there will be smaller price drops if it is played in other formats.

Quote Originally Posted by Lim-Dul View Post
    When? Sorry, i dont get that..
    After a few weeks Wizards lets you redeem you digital sets for real sets. This causes a large price decrease in the rares and Mythics of a set as they are all sent out at once. Look at Liliana of the Veil , she was down to ~$20 after redemption. A few months later the set was out of print and she slowly shot back up in price.

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Quote Originally Posted by GradStudentGuy View Post
    After a few weeks Wizards lets you redeem you digital sets for real sets. This causes a large price decrease in the rares and Mythics of a set as they are all sent out at once. Look at Liliana of the Veil , she was down to ~$20 after redemption. A few months later the set was out of print and she slowly shot back up in price.
    Which makes Halloween about the best time to get Geist.
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Thread Information