Thread: 122nd at GP Strasbourg with Omnitell

122nd at GP Strasbourg with Omnitell

Since I scrubbed out early at GP Amsterdam with Pox and at GP Ghent with LED Dredge, I wanted to play something unfair at GP Strasbourg.
    I spent many days implementing some combos into various shells like Personal Tutor, Reforge the Soul and Runeflare Trap into U/R Delver together with Sensei's Divining Top and Chrome Mox, but Personal Tutor turned out to be not good enough as your opponent will always be be prepared for the turn you play Reforge the Soul. Another try was to fit Laboratory Maniac, Thought Lash into a counter-heavy cantrip shell, providing instant speed kills via Brainstorm and Sensei's Divining Top and thus bypassing creature removal.
    In the end none of these ideas proved to be competitive enough, so I searched for existing decks in which I could integrate my ideas.
    The deck of choice was Omnitell, as it has got a lot of raw power and space for innovations.
    Unfortunately I couldn't play the list I wanted to play in the end because I didn't find a second Misdirection and a Erratic Explosion in time.
    Here's the list I ended up playing with:
    Counters:
    4 Force of Will
    3 Daze
    1 Misdirection
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Flusterstorm

Combo:
    4 Omniscience
    3 Show and Tell
    2 Griselbrand
    2 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Dream Halls

Cantrips/Utility:
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Preordain
    4 Burning Wish

Mana:
    2 Lotus Petal
    3 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Flooded Strand
    2 Polluted Delta
    2 Island
    1 Mountain
    3 Volcanic Island

Sideboard:
    1 Personal Tutor
    1 Reforge the Soul
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Enter the Infinite
    1 Show and Tell
    1 Time of Need
    2 Dream Halls
    3 Red Elemental Blast
    3 Surgical Extraction

Spell Pierce should be Misdirection and Grapeshot should be Erratic Explosion as it is much more versatile and can kill opponents out of nowhere.
    Since the printing of Enter the Infinite you can play any burn spell in your sideboard as your alternative kill condition as it can be recurred infinitely via Emrakul shuffling.
    Against discard you can board in Reforge the Soul and set it up via Burning Wish-->Personal Tutor.
    I would have loved to try out Stronghold Gambit as a wish target but I didn't know what to cut.
    The 2 Dream Halls came in against decks playing cards like Oblivion Ring, because I didn 't want to accept the fact that my deck loses against an opponent without doing anything else than holding the card in his/her hand. It is true that you can't cast Emrakul and Griselbrand with Dream Halls, but there are still 8 outs in the form of Omniscience and Burning Wish--> Enter the Infinite (wish for EtI the turn before you want to go off).
    Daze was mediocre at best and I would play more Flusterstorms next time.

Day1:
    Round 1: Laszlo (last name?) with Sneak Show
    G1: After I had realized that I played against a Show and Tell deck, I wanted to make sure that I could kill my opponent in 1 turn. Turn 3 I already had the combo pieces together with FOW backup but just brainstormed EOT into another FOW. I played a Turn 4 Show and Tell with double FOW backup. He let it resolve and put Griselbrand into play. I giggled and put Omniscience --> Emrakul into play.
    - 3 Daze -1 Show and Tell -1Preordain +3 REB +2 Dream Halls
    Game 2 he tried a T4 Sneak Attack leading to the following counterwar: FOW, Misdirection, Flusterstorm. In my T4 I wished for Enter the Infinite. He didn't Show and Tell into Griselbrand T5 that would have probably won him the game for fear of Emrakul/Omniscience, so I went for Dream Halls-->EtI--> Emrakul, Griseblrand T5.
    1-0 (2-0)

Round 2: Zbysek (last name?) with Jund
    G1 a mulled a hand with Ancient Tomb, Show and Tell and Griselbrand on the play into a hand without lands into a hand that didn't get there in time because he beat me to death before I could assemble the combo.
    -1 Preordain +1 Reforge the Soul
    G2 I had to mull to 5 again, that was capable of a T2 Emrakul, but that I decided against due to his T1 Deathrite Shaman into a possible Liliana of the Veil that he showed me after the game indeed. He made me discard my win conditions and extracted them while beating me down. I drew Burning Wish grabbing Personal Personal Tutor putting Reforge the Soul on top of my library, but it was 1 turn too late as he beat me to death. (Reforge the Soul would have won me the game)
    1-1 (2-2)

Round 3: Mark Waldenberger with Esper Stoneblade
    G1 he played Inquisition of Kozilek and took Show and Tell out of my hand. I should have hidden the 2nd Show and Tell on top of my library that I found with Ponder the next turn, but drew it. However, my opponent took Omniscience out of my hand with T2 Thoughtseize, so I was able to kill him next turn with the 2nd Omniscience that I hid on top of my library (Burning Wish-->Enter the Infinite-->Emrakul, Griselbrand).
    -3 Daze -1 Preordain -1 Emrakul +3 REB +2 Dream Halls
    G2 i kept FOW, Brainstorm, Show and Tell and 4 lands. T1 he took SnT with Thoughtseize while I pondered into REB. Turn 3 he played another Thoughtseize, which I responded to with Brainstorm. Before Brainstorm resolved he played Surgical Extraction to nail Show and Tells (trapped in my hand), but I think it would have been better to let Brainstorm resolve and shuffle the hidden goodies on top of my library away. Eventually I resolved Dream Halls and cast Omniscience off it without any further gas. His next 2 draws weren't scary while I drew a land and Misdirection. His next draw was Jace which I countered with FOW (the only card in my hand after casting Dream Halls and Omniscience). He Misdirected it and I Misdirected back.
    2 turns later I finally found a Griselbrand for the win.
    2-1 (4-2)

Round 4: Alexander Frey with LED Dredge:
    This round was basically a bye, because he didn't know his deck as he had borrowed it from a friend. Example: G2: He had Faithless Looting and LED in hand. Instead of ripping my hand apart T1 he simply cast Faithless Looting without cracking LED and just gave me several turns to find my combo pieces while he drew regularly and tried to beat me down with Narcomoeba (dredgers in hand and LED still not cracked).
    3-1 (6-2)

Round 5: Pierre Vessaz with RUG
    G1 he didn't have a clock, so I patiently waited, let my cantrips get countered with an uncracked fetchland in play playing around stifle and held Ancient Tomb back playing around Wasteland. Eventually I assembled the combo.
    -3 Date +3 REB
    G2 he beat me to death while I didn't find any business spells.
    G3 was similar to G1 as the 2 1/1 Mongooses didn't put any pressure on me.
    4-1 (8-3)

Round 6: Maximilian Kuntze with Dredge
    G1 I was on the play and simply 1 turn faster than him.
    G2 he was 1 turn faster than me due to two Faithless Lootings and 2 Cephalid Coliseums, so that even my Surcigal Extraction didn't slow him down enough.
    G3 he mulled to 4 and I went for T2 Emrakul. I feared Griselbrand but he revealed a Narcomoeba and scooped :P
    5-1 (10-4)

Round 7: Peter Vieren with Sneak Show
    G1 my hand looked like this T4: Omniscience, Show and Tell, Burning Wish, 2 Daze with 3 lands + Lotus Petal in play. I went for Show and Tell and he let it resolve with 1 mana open. He put Sneak Attack into play and me Omniscience. When I cast B.Wish, he played Flusterstorm that I didn't expect. 1 payed for 1 copy with Lotus Petal and dazed the other 2 but he dazed back. Next turn he sneaked in Griselbrand and the game was over.
    boarding: s.a.
    G2 I took a mulligan and didn't have a chance because I didn't draw well and he chained cantrips into a Jace. My desperation Reforge the Soul was countered and that was it.
    5-2 (10-6)

Round 8: Hakin Mezhoud with BUG Shardless
    G1 I put Griselbrand into play via Show and Tell that won me the game next turn.
    -3 Daze +3 REB
    G2 I went for a T4 Show and Tell that he tried to counter. I countered back with Flusterstorm while he had only 2 mana but had to pay 3 -->Omni-->Brainstorm-->Burning Wish...
    6-2 (12-6)

Round 9: Robert Darnhofer with Affinity
    At that time I was mentally and physically exhausted and didn't play well in the last round.
    G1 I attacked into Ornithopter with Griselbrand (off Omniscience) that he sacrificed for Acrbound Ravager, so that I didn't get 7 life. At that point I had to go for it so I payed 7 life and luckily found a B.Wish (and also an Emrakul).
    G2 I kept a very good hand with counter spells that slowed him down until I resolved Show and Tell-->Omni-->Emrakul.
    7-2 (14-6)
    I was really happy after that match because I had never made day 2 before.
    Day 2 was really disappointing as I lost the first 3 rounds and it was clear that I couldn't make Top 64 pretty early.
    In these games I was killed by the Helm of Obedience combo twice, killed by a Storm deck T1 and hated out by a main deck Venser, Shaper Savant...
    I played the next rounds just for fun: win against Belcher, lose against BUG, win against Miracles and win against Jund.
    My record for day 2 was 3-4 leading to the overall record of 10-6.
    All in all I had a good time in Strasbourg and I think that Omnitell is a strong deck if it can address hate cards like Oblivion Ring and Venser properly. I tried to do this with Dream Halls but I will probably play the mono-blue version next time as the instant speed kill that is immune to Comes-into-play effects fascinates me.
    Until next time,
    Jannis

Mar 2011
    Boston, MA

Re: 122nd at GP Strasbourg with Omnitell

With enter the infinite printed I don't understand why people keep playing direct damage win cons in their sideboard (grapeshot/erratic explosion/release the ants/etc.). What are the downsides to just casting emrakul and griselbrand once you go infinite? The one downside I can see is beating humility, but you can just have an eye of nowhere to wish for (or post board, bounce spells brought in).

Regardless, congrats on the day 2 and hopefully you can cash next legacy GP :)
    T: @feingersh

Oct 2011
    Denmark

i think it might have been my maindeck venser :) lost the back three however.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

[QUOTE=bfeingersh;718659]With enter the infinite printed I don't understand why people keep playing direct damage win cons in their sideboard (grapeshot/erratic explosion/release the ants/etc.). What are the downsides to just casting emrakul and griselbrand once you go infinite?[QUOTE]

You don't have to run 2 Emrakul in the MD
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Erratic Explosion fulfills the same role as Eye of Nowhere: they are anwers to cards that prevent you from attacking like Ensnaring Bridge. I would choose the burn spell because I think that it is more versatile than Eye of Nowhere.
    There are many decks that often make the player drop below 16 life without the opponent doing anything, e.g. by playing fetchlands, Thoughtseize, Ancient Tomb, Force of Will etc.
    In those cases you can kill them with Explosion-->Emrakul.
    I admit: this situation won't come up often, but at least you've got another option if you don't find all combo pieces in time.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Erratic Explosion doesn't destroy ensnaring bridge, and your plan is to kill them with burn ?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Thread Information