Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Force of Will vs. Lion's Eye Diamond

Re: Force of Will vs. Lion's Eye Diamond

They said Lightning Bolt wouldn't be reprinted. They reprinted it.
    They said they wouldn't reprint Swords to Plowshares. They made a functional reprint: Path to Exile.
    They said they wouldn't reprint Force of Will. They'll reprint it and it will be done to help balance out Modern.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Path to Exile =/= Swords to plowshares. Sure their exile ability is the same, but their "drawbacks" are much different. In a control deck your opponent gaininglife doesnt matter at all. But them getting a free land may actually change things. Helps them get out of spell pierce range, more mana untapped for them to play more spells per turn that you can deal with. PTE's drawback is much worse
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    They said they wouldn't reprint Swords to Plowshares. They made a functional reprint: Path to Exile.
    They said they wouldn't reprint Force of Will. They'll reprint it and it will be done to help balance out Modern.
    That sure scares me. I think that's a valid assessment. It might not be 'force of will' but it will be something that can be played in legacy. Pact of negation is a sign that this will occur.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

They may try to make a "Fixed" version of Force, but without fast combo being a thing in modern thanks to all of their bannings, who would play it?
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    They may try to make a "Fixed" version of Force, but without fast combo being a thing in modern thanks to all of their bannings, who would play it?
    They already did this with Foil, Thwart, Disrupting Shoal and Pact of Negation. All of these are not as flexible as the original one.

I wish Mental Misstep was legal in Modern. The card isn't that broken in a format without a Brainstorm. It will definitely slow that format down.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    They already did this with Foil, Thwart, Disrupting Shoal and Pact of Negation. All of these are not as flexible as the original one.

I wish Mental Misstep was legal in Modern. The card isn't that broken in a format without a Brainstorm. It will definitely slow that format down.
    MM would be an interesting addition. It isnt like Modern is like Legacy where One drops rule all.

And agreed. Those are all fixed versions and they hardly see play. WOTC wont reprint FoW. They will keep attempting to make fixed versions and they will never actually be good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    It will definitely slow that format down.
    Slow modern down? You think it's too fast? You do know a conditional 3/3 creature with no abilities is banned in that format?

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

But it makes other aggro creatures bad right?

Therefore it is too good... Goyf definitely doesnt make other 2 drops invalid or anything...

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Slow modern down? You think it's too fast? You do know a conditional 3/3 creature with no abilities is banned in that format?
    I forgot to add the quotations.

If the DCI thinks Modern is too fast then they should have added MM in the mix in the first place.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

I think there is no reason to speak about a "fixed" FoW because FoW doesnt need to be fixed : the card is not broken, drawbacks are concrete (card disadvantage & high hardcast cost) and are enough for what the card is supposed to do. FoW is a fixer for eternal format, it allows to many card not to be banned.
    If WotC consider to reprint it, there would be 3 reasons :
    - modern needs it (instead of ban any fast combo tool)
    - legacy needs it (to break out barrier at entry)
    - wotc needs it (cash flow as it would be a best seller, especialy online)
    I believe that the third is the most realistic, but I wouldnt hold my breath on it (at all), especialy in paper (online is another debate).

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by LOurs View Post
    I think there is no reason to speak about a "fixed" FoW because FoW doesnt need to be fixed : the card is not broken, drawbacks are concrete (card disadvantage & high hardcast cost) and are enough for what the card is supposed to do. FoW is a fixer for eternal format, it allows to many card not to be banned.
    If WotC consider to reprint it, there would be 3 reasons :
    - modern needs it (instead of ban any fast combo tool)
    - legacy needs it (to break out barrier at entry)
    - wotc needs it (cash flow as it would be a best seller, especialy online)
    I believe that the third is the most realistic, but I wouldnt hold my breath on it (at all), especialy in paper (online is another debate).
    Well that is my thing. It is a very fair card, but WOTC doesnt think so. WHich means if they were to make a FoW legal in modern then it would be way less powerful and terrible (Disrupting Shoal, Pact of Negation)

I think they recently "gave" away some FoWs online for some recent draft cycle. "Reprinting" FoW online seems like solid profit, as a database row is quite cheap. They could sell it for $10 and go infinite.

But it makes other aggro creatures bad right?

Therefore it is too good... Goyf definitely doesnt make other 2 drops invalid or anything...
    My new format is Forest Bear Eternal. 2/2 with blank text boxes for 2CC and basic lands are legal.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Where did they say they wouldn't reprint it?

Path to Exile is not a functional reprint.

Your logic here is highly questionable. First you didn't provide a source for the first claim, and the second claim is flat-out wrong. Not to mention that, even assuming those claims you've made are correct, there are cards they said they wouldn't reprint in Standard, and...haven't reprinted in Standard (Standard is really the key point here, not just a reprint in a bonus set). Like Mana Drain.

I don't think Modern does need Force of Will, honestly. But it could definitely use some of the "clones" in the Masques block, like Foil, Misdirection, or even Daze (which is a weaker card in a format where playing the islands again can hit you for 2 damage). Which is why I've repeatedly stated they should have started Modern with Masques...

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    My new format is Forest Bear Eternal. 2/2 with blank text boxes for 2CC and basic lands are legal.
    If only Spell Snare were legal... SO GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Where did they say they wouldn't reprint it?

Path to Exile is not a functional reprint.

Your logic here is highly questionable. First you didn't provide a source for the first claim, and the second claim is flat-out wrong. Not to mention that, even assuming those claims you've made are correct, there are cards they said they wouldn't reprint in Standard, and...haven't reprinted in Standard (Standard is really the key point here, not just a reprint in a bonus set). Like Mana Drain.

I don't think Modern does need Force of Will, honestly. But it could definitely use some of the "clones" in the Masques block, like Foil, Misdirection, or even Daze (which is a weaker card in a format where playing the islands again can hit you for 2 damage). Which is why I've repeatedly stated they should have started Modern with Masques...
    Sorry that I didn't reference the post on the previous page. Here's the link in question:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/magazin...om/daily/af119

Over-the-Top Bombs That Won't Come Back:

Lightning Bolt

The fact that Lightning Bolt does three damage to a player for a single mana is only a small part of what makes the card “too good”; after all, we printed Lava Spike. No, the real issue with the Bolt is that it is a fantastic tempo card in addition to being a way to win the game. Bolt kills somewhere in the range of 57 of the 88 creatures that debuted with it in Alpha, and almost all of them cost more mana—often significantly more—than it does. That's too much for a one-mana card.

Swords to Plowshares

Lightning Bolt may deal with 57/88 of Alpha's creatures, but Swords takes care of 87/88. For. One. Mana. There has never been a better deal for efficient creature removal than this.

Force of Will

Force of Will does everything Force Spike does, everything Daze does, and tons more. It has been called the glue that holds Vintage—the most power-laden format in the game—together. Many players probably don't think of FoW as a tempo card, but it does a fine job of that. Check out Nicholas Labarre's Merfolk deck from Pro Tour—Rome. Besides Force of Will, it backs up its weenie horde with other cards from today's discussion, like Force Spike and Man-o'-War. He took this deck to a second place finish at that event, which was defined by the most degenerate Extended deck ever played—Tolarian Academy.

I am currently looking to trade my set of NM Forces for a set of NM Diamonds. I may have to just buy them (one at a time so I can find cool and unique ones!).

-ABC

Thread Information