Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Force of Will vs. Lion's Eye Diamond

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Force of Will vs. Lion's Eye Diamond

Would it be a fair trade for a playset to a playset?

Which playset would you get trading the other playset?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

May 2011
    Belgium

Re: Force of Will vs. Lion's Eye Diamond

I think not, while both are around the same price currently (LED being slightly more expensive), one is on the reserved list and the other one is not. LED will keep climbing in price while force has been stable for a long time now and could be reprinted anytime (not expecting it soon though.

I would trade fows away for LED's but not the other way around.
    I don't like MTG, i just like legacy control decks.
    Esper stoneblade

Quote Originally Posted by AEnesidem View Post
    I think not, while both are around the same price currently (LED being slightly more expensive), one is on the reserved list and the other one is not. LED will keep climbing in price while force has been stable for a long time now and could be reprinted anytime (not expecting it soon though.

I would trade fows away for LED's but not the other way around.
    I'll second the reserved list vs. not reserved list. LED's won't be reprinted as of now. It's a must have for some decks to really perform. There is also the matter of what you need. If it's short term and you need forces, I guess it's not he end of the world but I would rather be getting LEDs long term.

Sep 2010
    MNL

Interesting points. But one must take into account the fact that LED is more open to being banned than FOW, as it is more broken. Granted I would still do the trade from FOW -> LED.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I recently traded a force straight up for an LED. From the players standpoint, I would be willing to trade away straight up from either side. Both are staples to their respective archetypes. Force is arguably the more versatile card and usable in more decks which is why I would be perfectly fine trading an LED for a force (assuming I am trying to build a deck with forces and I didnt need my LEDs anymore). From a Trader stand point I could definitely see why you would not want to trade your Reserve list Combo Staple for a Force, but RL or Not I dont see force seeing any printing that tanks the price any time soon.

But then again, I also see a lot more copies of Force of Will in peoples biunders than I do LEDs. Therefore it is a bit easier to trade for a Force than it would be an LED regardless of price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

The thing is I'm don't have all the blue staples and I'm way behind if I'm going to catch up. (I'm left with a couple of Modern blue fetches, playset of Flooded Strands and a Merfolk deck)

With LED, I already have Dredge pieces and combo pieces aren't as expensive as blue staples.

Hell, I'm considering trading the Strands (and something) for the LEDs.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

I would never trade Force of Will for Lions Eye Diamond.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I didn't. I got mine by trading a playset of Flooded Strands + EDH jank.
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

You can't base trades alone on dollar value. You have to think about the purpose of the trade.

If you are playing legacy to win you want the fow's. if you want a cheap deck to mess around with at a local tournament go for leds.

If you are planning to build a collection and you are starting you need the fow's.

I'm my collection I have 16 fow's and 4 LEDs all 20 of the cards are in decks. I'd still probably rather have more fow's.

It's strange you pose this question because I was about to make a post about the reprint of fow. It would probably be ok to reprint in standard and inject into modern. If they reprinted fow it would keep combo decks in check and they wouldn't have to ban every card that poses a threat in modern.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    You can't base trades alone on dollar value. You have to think about the purpose of the trade.

If you are playing legacy to win you want the fow's. if you want a cheap deck to mess around with at a local tournament go for leds.

If you are planning to build a collection and you are starting you need the fow's.

I'm my collection I have 16 fow's and 4 LEDs all 20 of the cards are in decks. I'd still probably rather have more fow's.

It's strange you pose this question because I was about to make a post about the reprint of fow. It would probably be ok to reprint in standard and inject into modern. If they reprinted fow it would keep combo decks in check and they wouldn't have to ban every card that poses a threat in modern.
    Implying that LED decks are decks that you just "mess around with"
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Snap take LED's over FoW. Call me biased since I play almost exclusively storm combo with LED but FoW is very likely going to get reprinted. LED is never going to be reprinted en masse. Sure LED might be banned. But I seriously doubt it, unless they print some card that puts LED way over the top (something that would have to be better than burning wish and infernal tutor is a tall order.) Wouldn't be remotely surprised to see FoW reprinted to put it in modern to fix some of the serious problems that format has.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ritual View Post
    Snap take LED's over FoW. Call me biased since I play almost exclusively storm combo with LED but FoW is very likely going to get reprinted. LED is never going to be reprinted en masse. Sure LED might be banned. But I seriously doubt it, unless they print some card that puts LED way over the top (something that would have to be better than burning wish and infernal tutor is a tall order.) Wouldn't be remotely surprised to see FoW reprinted to put it in modern to fix some of the serious problems that format has.
    How likely is this FOW reprint? Rhetorical question.

The chance of FOW being reprinted is next to Jace the Mindsculptor.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    How likely is this FOW reprint? Rhetorical question.

The chance of FOW being reprinted is next to Jace the Mindsculptor.
    Your statement could not be more incorrect. Fow has never won a game by itself nor is it any kind of card advantage. In fact it's card disadvantage.

Yes fow should be reprinted. I e left it soon cause of modern. It would have almost no effect on standard.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

It would be a played card in modern. Standard players would play it because ZOMG THIS CARD IS SO BROKEN IN LEGACYZZZZZZZZZZ... I would be interested to see LED in standard. Just for teh lulz. I guess Reanimator would be busted... Turn 1 Land, LED, crack it, cast unburial rites to get back (Insert ridiculous fatty here)

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ritual View Post
    I'm pretty sure R&D is still of the opinion that Force is completely overpowered. Honestly, I'm not sure they're wrong - the thought of the Delver decks from last standard season backed up with Force is pretty terrifying. If a U-based combo can exist in Modern, then it would be a Force to be reckoned with.

Also, here's an article where they flat-out said that they won't reprint Force: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/magazin...om/daily/af119
    Of course, they said they wouldn't reprint Lightning Bolt either, so nothing's set in stone.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

bruizar

I guess I'm the only one who would not trade away his FoWs for LEDs. There are no tier 1 strategies that utilize LED in legacy. Dredge and tendrils based decks are too soft to meta-hate.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    I guess I'm the only one who would not trade away his FoWs for LEDs. There are no tier 1 strategies that utilize LED in legacy. Dredge and tendrils based decks are too soft to meta-hate.
    I disagree with this. While you can attempt to hate out a tendrils deck, they actually can fight back with discard/silence... Dredge gets uh... Natures Claim I guess? Force of Will in the same thought process is pretty terrible in a Meta filled with GB decks like Jund.

Sep 2009
    Michigan, US

Force of Will is a huge problem online. There are some rumors that Wizards is looking at a reverse-redemption plan for an upcoming FTV set, in an attempt to get some more cards online. While I question their conclusion, the point remains that a) Force of Will is a barrier to MTGO, and b) it is not on the reserved list.

That all said, if I could only own one or the other I'd rather have FoW because I can play it in more decks.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    Your statement could not be more incorrect. Fow has never won a game by itself nor is it any kind of card advantage. In fact it's card disadvantage.

Yes fow should be reprinted. I e left it soon cause of modern. It would have almost no effect on standard.
    wth are you talking about. I'm saying the chance for a force of will reprint is as close to jace. I'm not comparing the two cards. The poster above me said it is very likely for a FOW reprint.

To emphasize, jace being reprinted in standard, in modern masters is nil. The only way for a reprint is FTV or judge promo.

Force of will sees this factor as well. It will not be reprinted in standard, it is not legal in modern masters. The chance of the reprint is similar to jace.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

This only proves that reading is tech!
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Thread Information