Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: troll o' lol combo

troll o' lol combo

so the dragons maze spoilers are midways now nad i would like to talk about a deck based around on of the new cards.

varolz, the scar-striped

so the idea is to quickly cast varolz throw a death's shadow/phyrexian dreadnought or 2, scavenge
    and voila beat face. cards like berserk, rancor and tainted strike. worldly tutor and sylvan tutor help get varolz, while entomb gets shadow and dreadnought. here's a sample list

4 verdant catacombs
    3 misty rainforest
    3 marsh flat
    4 bayou
    1 forest
    1 swamp
    4 varolz, the scar-striped
    4death's shadow
    4 phyrexian dreadnought
    2 entomb
    4 worldly tutor
    3 sylvan tutor
    4 berserk
    3 rancor
    1 elvish herder
    4 deathrite shaman/lotus petal/other ramp
    4 birds of paradise/lotus petal/other ramp
    3 tainted strike
    4 thoughtseize/other disruption
    what's your thoughts on this? to slow/easily disrupted? something else? feedback is appreciated

Re: troll o' lol combo

I would probably feel like playing more midrangy deck with Lolteth Troll, since it can discard Naughts & Shadow's from hand with benefit and it has trample and regeneration, so it's good target to scavenge on. Birds of paradise seems like a good target to scavenge too, since it has evasion.

Maybe would play 1 dryad arbor, since you can fetch it to regenerate troll / avoid sacrifice effects and seems to me that it's also a free point of power with scavenge.

The Illusionist
    Apr 2012
    Netherlands

I'd probably try some sort of BUG shell, with the StifleNought package aswell as the set of Thoughtseizes and some Dismembers so that you have multiple ways to get in with a fat dude (Varolz Scavenge, StifleNought or just a fat Death's Shadow)

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Misthollow Griffin also seems lolzy with Varolz, but probably too expensive.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Needs more Greater Good! Use your Dreadnoughts as a draw engine to find varolz, then scavenge away. You can ramp into Greater Good with anything from Deathrite Shaman to Lotus Cobra + Fetches.

I like the idea of BUG shell to include Stifle as well as other disruption. Might be something here - certainly seems fun if nothing else.
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

Vanilla Bear, 2/2

Jun 2010

Absolutely in need of blue for protection (this will run a little bit like a green blue infect deck with Force of Will as backup protection) and Invisible Stalker kills in one or two turns, almost unpreventable.

Turn 1: Land, Lotus Petal/Deathrite Shaman/Birds of Paradise
    Turn 2: Land, Invisible Stalker, Entomb/Thoughseize or hold back Divert / Flusterstorm / Daze whatever.
    Turn 3: Land, Varolz, the Star Striped, Lion's Eye Diamond*, discarding Phyrexian Dreadnought / Death's Shadow. Scavenge anything in the graveyard to Invisible Stalker, attack. Kill in one or two turns.

(*Note: works also without Lion's Eye Diamond. Just cast Dreadnought / Death's Shadow Turn 2, and then scavenge them Turn 3. If Invisible Stalker is somehow dead by then, there's still birds or Varolz in play)
    Last edited by neoryujin; 04-16-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Viridia View Post
    I'd probably try some sort of BUG shell, with the StifleNought package aswell as the set of Thoughtseizes and some Dismembers so that you have multiple ways to get in with a fat dude (Varolz Scavenge, StifleNought or just a fat Death's Shadow)
    This.

So here's the list I've been working on along with the rest of the guys I play and test with. I'm in between trying to play the 4 dreadnoughts and thus 4 stifles but I need to know what to cut. Obviously I want Abrupt Decay in the main also but I'm not sure what slots to change. The shocklands are to fetch and bolt myself to hardcast a Death's Shadow.

2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    3 Liliana of the Veil

3 Varolz, the Scar-Striped
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Death's Shadow
    2 Phyrexian Dreadnought

3 Stifle
    2 Spell Pierce
    3 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    1 Thoughtseize

3 Polluted Delta
    2 Misty Rainforest
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    1 Watery Grave
    1 Overgrown Tomb
    1 Breeding Pool
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou

Sideboard:
    2 Duress
    4 Abrupt Decay
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Flusterstorm
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Pernicious Deed
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Maelstrom Pulse

i'm not a big fan of daze nor the full 4 force o' will, though i'm not sure why, it just fells wrong.

on another node, mdb really like your list. how does tarmogoyf and varolz scavenge work together?

Quote Originally Posted by gozmit97 View Post
    i'm not a big fan of daze nor the full 4 force o' will, though i'm not sure why, it just fells wrong.

on another node, mdb really like your list. how does tarmogoyf and varolz scavenge work together?
    Goyf still sees his P/T in the graveyard. I do like the idea of Snuff Out and Dismember in here to get a good life total for Shadow so I'll definitely give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by mdb1005 View Post
    Goyf still sees his P/T in the graveyard. I do like the idea of Snuff Out and Dismember in here to get a good life total for Shadow so I'll definitely give that a try.
    Goyf is nice and I can certainly see adding him but I wanted to start with more blue cards to pitch to FoW. I don't think it's a good idea to have shocklands just for the purpose of bolting yourself without any other benefit. I would definitely swap out IoK for the playset of thoughtseize and maybe play gitaxian probe if you really want to push the death shadow gameplan. Yeah, I like the snuff out/dismember idea too. :)

Aug 2011
    Russian Federation

What about Careful Study ? It allows you to dump fatties in the yard as well as cycling through your deck faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashen View Post
    What about Careful Study ? It allows you to dump fatties in the yard as well as cycling through your deck faster.
    It's card disadvantage that does nothing without Varolz out.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

I have been monkey-ing with a Death's Shadow deck for a while, and the secret tech that my friend came up with is Apostle's Blessing. That card has been absolutely outstanding. Can "clear the path" to victory (I had good lols with the protection from artifacts against affinity) or stop well timed removal (even the uncounterable Abrupt Decay many people lean on.)

My creature suite is Delver of Secrets, Deathrite Shaman & Death's Shadow. Each one shines in different MU's, but I'm not completely satisfied. I do not likethe Dreadnaught. 2-1 ing yourself for a a vanilla fattie just doesn't seem right with me.

It looks like you guys properly figured out the Snuff Out / Dismember split. I love Snuff out but it feels stupid when Gaddock Teeg hits the board. ...plus sometimes you don't want to take the full 4.

Are you sure that varolz, the scar-striped is really that good when it needs a fair amount of set-up, and uses the graveyard (which is getting hated pretty well right now?) Seems like it might just be cute, but fun.

Anyhow I have been enjoying the BUG shell and Death's Shadow as it can come back out of (what appears to be) nowhere.

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

I really like the idea of a BUG shell for this.

I also really like the idea of using a bunch of tutors to set yourself up. Intuition to dump your 'Noughts in the yard, GSZ to grab your troll, maybe a 1-of Silhana Ledgewalker?

4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    4 Tarmogoyf
    3 Invisible Stalker
    1 Silhana Ledgewalker

3 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Intuition
    4 Stifle
    1 Vision Charm
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Force of Will
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Abrupt Decay

1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Bayou
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Swamp
    1 Island
    1 Forest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    I really like the idea of a BUG shell for this.

I also really like the idea of using a bunch of tutors to set yourself up. Intuition to dump your 'Noughts in the yard, GSZ to grab your troll, maybe a 1-of Silhana Ledgewalker?

4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    4 Tarmogoyf
    3 Invisible Stalker
    1 Silhana Ledgewalker

3 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Intuition
    4 Stifle
    1 Vision Charm
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Force of Will
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Abrupt Decay

1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Bayou
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Swamp
    1 Island
    1 Forest
    I really like this list my only problem is that Invisible Stalker is a huge dork without Varolz. If you cut one Intuition and the 3 Stalkers for a playset of Deathrite's to ramp into Varolz/GSZ I think this is a pretty great list. Personally my meta is very combo heavy so I might cut 2 abrupt decay for 2 Spell Pierce or Inquisition but obviously it depends on what is being played.

I think Grisly Salvage could be good in this. You can pitch creatures into your GY and dig for Varloz, or get access to the lands you need to play cards. And if you pitch all of your Valroz, just put a Volrath's Stronghold in.
    Legacy:
    Combo Elves
    WB Tokens
    Cheeri0s

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

This is an interesting deck idea.

What about including Lotleth Troll and Unearth? You can get the whole combo online with Lotleth, he can beat decently since he has trample (he also regenerates). Unearth gives you a way to get the troll combo online or get a 'naught back if you only have Stifle (if you want to run blue).
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Non-basic lands are Mountains
    Apr 2011

Quote Originally Posted by ElricTheWhiteWolf View Post
    This is an interesting deck idea.

What about including Lotleth Troll and Unearth? You can get the whole combo online with Lotleth, he can beat decently since he has trample (he also regenerates). Unearth gives you a way to get the troll combo online or get a 'naught back if you only have Stifle (if you want to run blue).
    I feel like Deed could also work great in here.
    True strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me! -Kamahl, Pit Fighter

Thread Information