Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: SCG increases the price of FoW

Amen, brotha.
    Aug 2009
    Bamberg / Franconia / Bavaria / Germany

SCG increases the price of FoW

Link

Apparently, it went from 65$ to 99$. We are talking about a 50% price increase.
    This looks like a job for me.

Most of my posts will be written from my phone, so please excuse the eventual lack of proper typing.

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Re: SCG increases the price of FoW

Something something market demand.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Similarly, Jace $40 over the past week or two. While I'm hesitant to point at SCG as the reason, I have no alternative. It seems unlikely a card stable at $110 for a good while (or climbing slowly) suddenly jumps over the course of a week, along with Force doing something similar, simply due to demand.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Jesus christ. Jace also went up 50%, from $99 to $149. Haven't followed SCG's prices for LED but it's now at $99.

Damn, this might convince me to part with my recently bought second playset of Force of Will. I bought four extra FoW at $55 apiece just for the convenience of not having to switch my playset around my two active blue decks. With this, now I might just sell those FoW and buy the rest of Jund or something.

Good Lord, these price increases are getting ridiculous.

Feb 2010
    Houston,texas

I really hope some savvy, indecent, enterprising young Chinaman prints functional proxies at 1/100th of the price.

EDIT: Polluted delta shot up another 20 bucks as well.

FOW's jump is a bit surprising. JTMS on the other hand is an iconic card that is wanted by casual to competitive players. That one is less surprising. TCGplayer creeped up to 150ish for NM on JTMS within a few days. There are still plenty of playsets of force at NM for 62-70 I think.

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Quote Originally Posted by Oiolosse View Post
    I really hope some savvy, indecent, enterprising young Chinaman prints functional proxies at 1/100th of the price.

EDIT: Polluted delta shot up another 20 bucks as well.
    I'm surprised there aren't. Printing perfect forgeries would be akin to printing money.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    I'm surprised there aren't. Printing perfect forgeries would be akin to printing money.
    Yeah...this is one thing I'm surprised hasn't caught on. Counterfeiting money is incredibly difficult, but I'd assume anyone with access to a print shop could fabricate Magic cards, especially the older ones, with a bit of study. Not something like fake Lotuses to make tons of money, but some simple utility cards for your friends to play with or maybe to sell. Nobody carefully scrutinizes the average Revised dual, especially during a tournament. Would be easy to pass off.

Makes you actually wonder how many forgeries could be running amok already.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaican Zombie Legend View Post
    Yeah...this is one thing I'm surprised hasn't caught on. Counterfeiting money is incredibly difficult, but I'd assume anyone with access to a print shop could fabricate Magic cards, especially the older ones, with a bit of study. Not something like fake Lotuses to make tons of money, but some simple utility cards for your friends to play with or maybe to sell. Nobody carefully scrutinizes the average Revised dual, especially during a tournament. Would be easy to pass off.

Makes you actually wonder how many forgeries could be running amok already.
    This. I always wondered, not for resale purposes, but just tourney use purposes, if someone were to get a high level proxy, who the hell would know? It isnt like people are taking close looks at your cards at any time during a tourney.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

I'd be surprised if no one who hasn't already done it.
    A good non-foil forgery might be pretty damn hard to pick, especially when printing of some of the cards I have seems to be a fairly well controlled, yet variable process.

Just look at the 2nd hand market for vintage guitars. Many of the forged gats and basses fetch a lot more than they're worth, simply because the forger's are in some case very good at replicating, and ageing said guitars.
    Imagine a whole lot of "Played" condition LED's, Forces, Wastelands etc. Forgeries are gonna be easier to spot if they're minty fresh I would think, an aged card could sneak past a bit easier I would think....

All that said, if someone ever goes out and does this and has a whole lot of merch to sell at reasonable prices? - I'll buy whatever you print. LOL.

Amen, brotha.
    Aug 2009
    Bamberg / Franconia / Bavaria / Germany

Would be an interesting way to protest against the reserved list - I don't want to motivate anyone to do this, but, you know...

I simply don't get it. They increased the price by 50%. 50 bloody percent! I'd like to know how the hell you can justify this!
    This looks like a job for me.

Most of my posts will be written from my phone, so please excuse the eventual lack of proper typing.

Aug 2011
    Italy

Monopoly?

But really, this sucks.

They don't just raise their selling price, they do raise their buying price too. For example, they now buy JTMS at $100. They are buying FOW at $60.

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

Look at the foil JTMS. I remember buying a SP foil one for 200 this summer and re-selling it for 450 this fall. I should have waited...

Foil Liliana of the Veil is also at 200$ right now...

Is the format coming back with more strenght than ever?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I facepalm so hard in Public that hipsters gonna make this a new trend

May 2011
    Belgium

I really, really don't get it, this has to have something to do with SCG. Here in europe LED is still at 50 and force too, Jace is still around 80 euro's. It's only after starcitygames ups their prices that prices start climbing slowly here. But starcitygames are always the first ones to increase their prices.
    I don't like MTG, i just like legacy control decks.
    Esper stoneblade

bruizar

The format was never weak. Legacy is still the best format for eternal players.

Storm Trooper
    Jun 2012
    Bremen, Germany

I don't know who buys at SCG anyways, except a diverse population of trust fund babies. Who the hell is willing to pay 20% price premium for mostly any card? Buy your stuff at Magiccardmarket - You can get a playset FoW for about 50$ per copy there (EX Condition)...

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

I do agree that SCG drives the price aggressively up too often. But it's all based on the market. The bigger the demand is, the higher the price is.
    I guess we call that capitalism?

Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see FoW reprinted in the next FTV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I facepalm so hard in Public that hipsters gonna make this a new trend

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

Starcitygames = legalized cardboard mafia. It's really astonishing how they can profit with such ridiculous price because of dumbasses actually willing to cash out those sums of money without blinking an eye.

Just boycott them, buy from Europe/have a trip in Europe for a big event to buy stuff (really, 100$ against 45 euros for Force of Will?), or acquire from privates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

Thread Information