Thread: Heart of the Storm #3 - Day of the Tentacle

Hybrid View

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Heart of the Storm #3 - Day of the Tentacle

(This will become my new playmat artwork ... lol)

Welcome folks! This in another entry for my TES play-by-play reports which got surprisingly popular around, as well as the tournament series itself. As a result we get more and more players wanting to participate which put us into troubles finding a cool location to besiege. Still have to take the usual hour of trainride and tramway. I personally feel there’s a trend against the basic intention we once had for this tournament, having an exclusive round of well-dressed men, smoke and snobby drinks lol. In addition the whole meta became pretty hostile, because everyone here knows me, my reports and my deck by now. Even the Zoo pilot in the field was mocking me with his 3 Thalia and 3 Gaddock Teeg in his sideboard for tonights tournament. I’m already a bit pissed about those facts. Thankfully our organizer managed to still find a location which appears ok for my taste. I start the evening with Water and a Martini d’Oro, fixing my list (printed the same I ran last tourney, duh!) by cutting the Bribery for the 3rd Decay. I still have no clue if the peeps made the changes they were talking about the last time. For the sake of completion:

4 Gemstone Mine
    2 City of Brass
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    3 Polluted Delta

3 Chrome Mox
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion’s Eye Diamond
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Silence
    3 Duress
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Ad Nauseam

3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Chain of Vapor
    2 Xantid Swarm
    2 Cabal Therapy
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Diminishing Returns

Nothing fancy, nothing special. Call me boring, call me old. Tim’s (he’s the organizer) netbook spits out the pairings for the first round…

Round 1 – ANT

Game 1

I break my own rule of loosing the dice to start a tourney … Amazing!

Gemstone Mine
    City of Brass
    Silence
    Duress
    Infernal Tutor
    Ponder
    Dark Ritual

Would you keep that hand?

This is a solid keep. A game of mine usually begins without playing cards. I seize my opponent and think. I have seen him the last tourney around but he was unable to perform well. I put him on a hate.dec and think about either leading with Ponder or Duress here but want to see, what kind of hate I’m facing. I drop Gemstone Mine, Duress and see Polluted Delta, Gitaxian Probe, Volcanic Island, Brainstorm and 3 Dark Ritual … lol @ my read. I take the Brainstorm. He plays Delta and fetches an Underground Sea, get probed and eat a fresh drawn Cabal Therapy, taking my Ritual. I draw Wish for Turn, play City of Brass and Ponder off it to save my Gemstone counters. The blue cantrip reveals no gas and I shuffle, draw Delta. He untaps, Volcanic joins his U.Sea und casts another Therapy … geeez. Infernal Tutor gets stripped. My turn brings a Petal. I drop Delta and pass. He plays another Volcanic and plays preordain. I draw Brainstorm and pass. In his upkeep I Silence him to prevent more cantripping and prepare to Wish for Therapy. I play Brainstorm eot and draw Infernal, Gemstone and Probe, put back Probe and Petal which I draw for my turn. I wish for Therapy and strip all 3 Rituals, seeing an Infernal Tutor and a Lotus Petal left. He Probes in his turn, obviously draws a Flooded strand which he uses to fetch another U.Sea, drops Petal and casts hellbent Infernal. Seeing him having 5 mana for the next turn I expect he picked Past in Flames here but then noticed the lack of rituals for a lethal storm. Ad Nauseam then? What do you think? My turn gifts me a Dark Ritual so I drop Petal, tap all my lands, cast the Ritual and Infernal for Ad Nauseam without any mana floating off my 15 remaining life.

Silence (14)
    Ponder (13)
    Brainstorm (12)
    Rite of Flame (11)
    Gitaxian Probe (10)
    Petal (10)
    Petal (10)
    Duress (9)
    Polluted Delta (8)
    Dark Ritual (7)
    Burning Wish (5)
    Dark Ritual (4)

That’s enough for me. Petal, Petal, Probe going down to 2 (draw Ponder) and see indeed Ad Nauseam in his hand, pop Petals for RB, Rite, Ritual, Ritual, Duress, Burning Wish and start my “Day of the Tentacle”.

1-0

Sideboarding: nothing … speed is king

Game 2

He mulls to 6 and I find a tempting 7

Dark Ritual
    LED
    Burning Wish
    LED
    Ponder
    Polluted Delta
    Silence

Can’t ship that one … would be insane with an Infernal. I gamble on him not opening with Therapy on LED. Instead I whitness him play ’n pop Delta for Underground Sea into Ponder. He shuffles which I feel is a very good sign. I draw Petal for Turn and mimic his Delta for U.Sea. I think about Wishing for Diminishing Returns or trying to grab an Infernal via Ponder. I feel that the later is too much of a gamble, even for me. Petal (storm1), Ritual (storm2) off U.Sea, LED (storm3), LED (storm4), Burning Wish (storm5) for Returns and cast it (storm6) with UBBR flood and find

Burning Wish
    LED
    Gemstone Mine
    Ad Nauseam
    Chrome Mox
    Chrome Mox
    Lotus Petal

LED (storm7), Petal (storm8), I talk about being mean with Ad Nauseam and 19 life … he wants me to show him my hand, which I agree to and show my difficult decision tree between simply wishing for a lethal Tendrils or extreme showboating with Ad Nauseam (maybe even into Past in Flames). He throws his hand and library into his box…

2-0

That reaction is really misplaced and a reason why I keep distance to the common Gameshop-Events. I know he’s frustrated and called me lucky during the round about my topdecked Dark Ritual in game one after he threw several Therapies at me and had the (likely) lethal Ad Nauseam in hand, but I’m not vindictive here. Loosing the first match in a tournament is a downer for your mental state and a unhealthy regarding your future pairings.

Round 2 – Jund

Game 1

We know each other from the last tournament. I guess I won 2-0 with both, a turn 1 Grapeshot and a victory via PIF or so while we chatter and shuffle. My attention got instantly drawn to the leftside table where a close friend of mine shows me that he sleeved up my TRS Doomsday build for the lulz and wiped a 12-Post with two turn 2 kills in round 1! XD After totally freaking out about that crazy shit I draw my 7 on the draw.

Underground Sea
    Gemstone Mine
    Empty the Warrens
    Brainstorm
    Lion’s Eye Diamond
    Dark Ritual
    Duress

I snap-keep without thinking much about that hand and lay the cards face-down on the table to order a drink and snatch a smile from the waitress while my confident acting may have influenced his next move … dunno. He did think quite a while about his 7 and then decides to mulligan (obviously into Thoughtseize/Hymn) and instantly throws back his 6 as well, keeping 5 in the end while telling me that he might throw away the game anyway by shipping his 7 without discard. So he plays out Grove of the Burnwillows, grants me a lifepoint to drop Deathrite Shaman. I draw another Ritual and go scouting via U.Sea into Duress, seeing Dark Confidant, Bloodbraid Elf and Thoughtseize remaining, taking the Sorcery. His turn gave him a Verdant Catacomb, he sacrifices to dig up a Bayou and cast the Confidant. I draw my second Diamond and cast Brainstorm which brings up Rite of Flame, Lotus Petal and Polluted Delta. I return Gemstone Mine and Dark Ritual back on top of my library. I fetch a Volcanic Island with the Delta, play Petal and crack it up for B, Dark Ritual, tap Volcanic for R, Rite of Flame, LED, LED, Empty the Warrens for 14 Goblins. His Confidant reveals a Badland and he taps all his lands and the DRS for a Bloodbraid Elf which enters the field in company of another Shaman. Now we play Magic: The Gathering the way Wizards of the Coast intended us to do: Calculations in the Attack-Step. He holds back his creatures and passes the turn. I draw a Probe and attack with everything so he’s down to 8 life while losing his Confidant while blocking. I Probe and draw the overkill: Infernal Tutor. I cast it and pop both LED’s for BBBRRR, search, find and cast Ad Nauseam off 18 life with a single red mana floating

Ponder (17)
    Burning Wish (15)
    Probe (14)
    Petal (14)
    Mox (14)
    Ponder (13)
    Duress (12)
    Dark Ritual (11)
    LED (11)
    Ponder (10)
    Probe (9)
    Probe (8)
    Underground Sea (8)
    Ponder (7)
    Petal (7)
    Duress (6)
    Mox (6)
    Silence (5)
    Gemstone Mine (5)
    Gemstone Mine (5)
    Mox (5)
    Silence (4)

Mox (Probe), Petal, Petal, Mox (Duress), Ritual, LED, Mox (Probe), Ponder into Rite of Flame, RoF, Burning Wish for Grapeshot

3-0

Sideboarding: I don’t think sideboarding against Punishing Jund is really needed.

Game 2

I have to watch another mulligan on the opposite side of the table while I take these 7:

Dark Ritual
    Infernal Tutor
    Underground Sea
    Polluted Delta
    Gitaxian Probe
    Brainstorm
    Dark Ritual

I’m sure the key to winning this matchup on the draw is keeping a hand that does not fold to a single discard spell and comes with stable mana. In this case the Tutor might be his target of choice like it was in our last match the previous week, while I’m still fine with Probe and Brainstorm to draw into business unless he has multiple discard-spells, which I think is rather unlikely after a mulligan. I receive the expected Bayou into Thoughtseize and he does not hesitate to pick the Tutor. I draw a Mox for my turn, play U.Sea and Probe him to see BBE, Grove, Lightning Bolt and Tarmogoyf which makes me sandbaggin my Brainstorm for this turn and ship back. Grove joins the Bayou on the field and summons the small Lhurgoyf onto the battlefield. I draw Infernal Tutor and am sure that the game is already over. I Brainstorm into 2 Diamonds and a Brainstorm, put back Volcanic and Chrome Mox. I dump the Polluted Delta to dig up an Underground Sea, Ritual, Ritual, LED, LED, Infernal Tutor, break a Diamond for RRRBBB and grab Ad Nauseam from my library. I keep R in the pool and cast the infamous instant off 17 life

Gitaxian Probe (16)
    Brainstorm (15)
    Silence (14)
    Burning Wish (12)
    Gemstone Mine (12)
    Ponder (11)
    Burning Wish (9)
    Ponder (8)
    Gemstone Mine (8)
    Probe (7)
    Polluted Delta (7)
    Duress (6)
    Probe (5)
    Rite of Flame (4)

Here I count a total of 5 mana available which is simply not enough to finish him off, so I have to gamble on not drawing EtW :/

Chrome Mox (4)

This one is enough. I Probe him seeing Lightning Bolt in his hand while being tapped out and draw Rite of Flame, RoF, RoF, Mox (Probe), Burning Wish, Tendrils of Agony from the sideboard.

4-0

A walk in the park this time. Mental note: An aggressive mull strategy into discard isn’t necessarily backbreaking for balanced TES hands. The match was surprisingly fast over so I could cheer at my fellow friend with Doomsday and he did indeed overcome Grafdigger’s Cage to win against SneakShow … hilarious. Maybe I should pilot the deck myself next time…

I order some drinks directly at the counter and steal a smile from the surprisingly cute waitress..

Round 3 – TRS Doomsday

Game 1

Strange feeling … I’m going to pilot TES against my own creation. Maybe I should finally write a primer about that deck after this report as it differs quite a lot from existing Doomsday decks because it features a very resilient kill via Predict which dumps Laboratory Maniac into the grave to draw into Pact of Negation and Unearth. He chooses to keep his 7 and I fan those

City of Brass
    Brainstorm
    Ponder
    Infernal Tutor
    Lotus Petal
    Lotus Petal
    Chrome Mox

I would like to try this one but have a bad feeling about being on the draw in this game. He opens with Misty Rainforest into Underground Sea and ponders … shuffle, draw. I draw a Ritual and am big in business now. City of Brass for Ponder seeing Silence, Polluted Delta and another Dark Ritual. I can now throw my hand against his head and pray that he does not have the Force of Will or wait a turn and open myself to Spell Pierce in addition to Force but have Silence. Because I’m sure he knows how to pilot the deck and knowing what deck I’m on, I choose to pass. He drops a second U.Sea, Ponder, draw and pass. I draw the Silence for turn and drop the 2 Lotus Petals before casting the white instant which draws the Force of Will. I think about my odds and choose to push All-In. Mox (Brainstorm), pop Petal for B, Ritual, Ritual, Infernal with BBBBB flood into Ad Nauseam. He brainstorms in response … Ad Nauseam resolves! Phew! TES remains a deck for gamblers … sometimes :D

Duress (17)
    Gemstone Mine (17)
    Polluted Delta (17)
    Probe (16)
    Underground Sea (16)
    Ponder (15)
    Polluted Delta (15)
    Burning Wish (13)
    Dark Ritual (12)
    Chrome Mox (12)
    Silence (11)
    Probe (10)
    Brainstorm (9)
    City of Brass (9)
    Chrome Mox (9)
    Brainstorm (8)
    Silence (7)
    LED (7)
    Infernal Tutor (5)
    Rite of Flame (4)

Gemstone Mine for turn, Mox (Infernal Tutor), Mox (Brainstorm), Probe going down to 2 life drawing Volcanic and seeing Ponder, Mental Note, Dark Ritual and Pact of Negation in my opponents hand, RoF off Gemstone Mine, Ritual off Mox, LED, Burning Wish into Tendrils of Agony.

5-0

Sideboarding: -1 Infernal, -1 EtW, -1 Chrome Mox, +2 Xantid Swarms, +1 Cabal Therapy

Game 2

Having created the deck myself, I know the sideboarding strategy here and await a real nightmare. He now has access to Flusterstorm, Spell Pierce, FoW and Gitaxian Probe + Cabal Therapy in exchange for the speed of Dark Rituals.

Burning Wish
    Gemstone Mine
    Rite of Flame
    Ponder
    Gemstone Mine
    Xantid Swarm
    Infernal Tutor

Very slow but the Xantid should make up for it. He opens with Underground Sea into Cabal Therapy naming LED and obviously misses, taking notes and we debate about the annoying Swarm and his lack of possibilities to remove it. He chooses to burn a Lotus Petal and another Therapy to get rid of the bugs. I draw a welcomed Gitaxian Probe for turn and take a peek at his 3 remaining cards: Flusterstorm, Flusterstorm, Mental note. Yeah, not taking the Xantid Swarms would have been an auto-loss for him so I think he made the best out of his situation. I did draw a Dark Ritual from the Probe and continue my turn with Gemstone Mine and have to choose to either Ponder or burn a Rite of Flame to wish for the remaining Therapy in my sideboard to wipe his hand from the storm counters. I take my time here thinking about what I need to find with Ponder to beat the Flusterstorms. Because I can’t come up with a scenario which would really beat active Flusterstorm(s) with my hand of Gemstone, Infernal, Wish, Rite, Ritual and Ponder I choose to play here as conservative as possible and indeed choose the wish-route. Gemstone for R, RoF, Burning Wish for Cabal Therapy. He ponders and drops a fresh Underground Sea, passing back. I drop a new Gemstone Mine and use it to cast Ponder which gets the nod. I choose not to therapy him now, because he can use one of the flusterstorms to protect the second. The Ponder reveals Petal, Delta and City of Brass. I like those and draw the Petal, floating the Delta. I think about throwing the Duress I draw for my turn into his face but guess that it would be a waste. I pass the turn back. Draw,go is all he does. I get the floated Delta, fetch an Underground Sea and Therapy. He plays Mental Note and Flusterstorm. I pay for it setting my Gemstones to 1 counter each and using a Petal for pay for the counterspell in addition. He has now 2 Brainstorms left and gets to untap again. He brainstorms and drops a Swamp before shipping back. I draw Delta and use it to get a Volcanic. I Duress him, having a total of 6 mana available and hope to finish him off the next turn with any card which produce mana. I look at Force of Will + Predict! A bit unexpected tbh. I take the Counterspell and see him casting the Predict for value at the end of my turn, drawing 2 while binning the Brainstorm he left on top of his library. In his mainphase he’s up to 3 cards, drops a swamp and casts Doomsday with U.Sea untapped. He stacks a new library of 5 cards pretty quick and I am sure I’m dead the next turn, noticing the lack of 2 Probes, a Predict and a Spell Pierce in his grave. Worst case would be that he has the Pierce in hand and not stacked to draw via Predict, which makes absolutely sense due to not taking the superior Flusterstorm instead. So I’m 100% sure he has Spell Pierce drawn together with the Doomsday off the Predict last turn and the only chance to still beat him somehow is Silence. My turn. I draw an annoying Chrome Mox and imprint Dark Ritual and cast Infernal for Silence. He untaps, draws and casts Gitaxian Probe going to 8 life, revealing my strategy. He laughs and refuse to walk into my trap. I draw Ponder and use it to see Gemstone Mine, Burning Wish and Rite of Flame. I think I found a solution. I take Rite and float wish to pass the turn. He draws and play his Lab Maniac always keeping an Underground Sea untapped and passes. It’s pretty easy for me to imagine the remaining 2 cards in his library now: Gitaxian Probe and Unearth. I draw the Wish for Turn, count mana. Gemstone Mine for W, Silence (storm1) which resolves, Volcanic for R, RoF for RRR (storm2) with a Rite already in my grave, Burning Wish (storm3) for Tendrils of Agony (storm4) draining exactly his remaining 8 life!

6-0

What intensity! I feel like I was really pushed to the edge here and have no clue how I managed to overcome 13 protection spells + 4 Gitaxian Probes. I remember my ego's going slightly outta hand … sorry to anyone to had to bear with me at this point :/

Round 4 - Omniscience

Game 1

A familiar face. Regular readers of this report may remember my SneakShow nemesis from the last HotS-Entry. We talked about his possible switch to Omniscience last time and I’m about to check out if this was indeed the case. I have missed to check for infos after the last round because … I was buisy being awesome and let everyone know that :/

Gemstone Mine
    LED
    Infernal Tutor
    Silence
    Ponder
    Lotus Petal
    Rite of Flame

I hope no one would have answered the previous question with “no”. Silence, LED and Infernal in any starting hand vs. Show&Tell deck is almost a keeper. Only downside is that I lost the dice again. Fortunately he had to mull into a grip of 6 he seems not to be pleased with either but still keeping. He plays Island into Ponder which seems completely fine from my point of view so I have no idea why he’s grumbling. Shuffle and draw. I drew a Rite of Flame due to my notes and thought about straight going for Ad Nauseam but Ponder instead after dropping the Gemstone Mine to not throw the game away if he holds FoW. I find Volcanic, Burning Wish and Ponder, taking the land and float Ponder. He drops Misty Rainforest and passes back. I put Volcanic onto the field and cast Petal doing the math. Silence of Gemstone resolves. Tap Volcanic for R, Rite, Rite, LED, pop Petal for B, Infernal, break the Diamond in response for BBBRRR remaining, fetch Ad Nauseam and cast it with a single red mana for use

Empty the Warrens (16)
    City of Brass (16)
    Probe (15)
    Delta (15)
    Gemstone Mine (15)
    Duress (14)
    Infernal Tutor (12)
    LED (12)
    Delta (12)
    LED (12)
    Gemstone Mine (12)
    Rite of Flame (11)
    Rite of Flame (10)
    Gemstone Mine (10)
    Infernal Tutor (8)
    Probe (7)
    Burning Wish (5)
    Chrome Mox (5)
    LED (5)
    Silence (4)
    Dark Ritual (3)
    Chrome Mox (3)
    Infernal Tutor (1)

I play out the 3 LED’s, Rite, Rite, Mox (Infernal), Tap Mox for B, Ritual, Mox (Probe), Wish for Past in Flames, Ritual, Rite, Rite, Rite, Rite, Infernal for Ritual, Ritual, Infernal for Wish, Burning Wish, Duress’ revealing Pact of Negation, Enter the Infinite, Ancient Tomb, Dream Halls and Omniscience. I sling Burning Wish for a lethal Grapeshot.

7-0

Sideboarding: -1 Infernal Tutor, -1 EtW, +2 Xantid Swarms

Game 2

I see he keeps his 7 and I fan those 7

Burning Wish
    LED
    Dark Ritual
    Underground Sea
    Rite of Flame
    Dark Ritual
    Ponder

A lot of mana and 2 business spells. I can’t ship that one even if I find the Underground Sea in combination with Rite of Flame and Burning Wish very sketchy. He starts with Scalding Tarn into Island and passes. At this point of the report, it’s important to note that he did not put a Leyline to play or mulliganed, so I expect the real deal in his hand. I draw another RoF for the turn and have to Ponder off the U.Sea. I see LED, Duress and Gemstone Mine. I think I have not much time to be picky and take the Mine, floating the Duress. He brainstorms end of turn and drops Ancient Tomb in his first mainphase and plays Show&Tell. Omniscience enters the battlefield and I drop the Gemstone Mine in the process. He casts Preordain, puts both cards to the bottom and draws a random from the top, Ponder, shuffle & draw, passes the turn with 3 cards in hand. I can’t wait any longer and have been lucky that I get another turn in which I drew the Duress. I now cast Ritual off the Underground Sea into Duress seeing Dream Halls, Ancient Tomb, FoW. I strip the Counterspell and proceed by playing Dark Ritual, tapping Gemstone Mine for R, Rite, Rite, LED, Burning Wish, break the Lion’s Eye Diamond for BBBBBRRR, fetch Infernal from my Sideboard to grab Ad Nauseam and cast it with the usual red mana floating off 20 life

Gemstone Mine (20)
    Delta (20)
    Probe (19)
    Chrome Mox (19)
    Ponder (18)
    Probe (17)
    Rite of Flame (16)
    Volcanic Island (16)
    Infernal Tutor (14)
    Underground Sea (13)
    Silence (12)
    Probe (11)
    Lotus Petal (11)
    Infernal Tutor (9)
    Probe (8)
    Burning Wish (6)
    Ponder (5)
    Infernal Tutor (3)

I play Gemstone Mine, Mox (Infernal), Petal, Rite (2 more RoF in my graveyard), Ponder into Dark Ritual off the Gemstone Mine, Dark Ritual off the Mox, Burning Wish for Tendrils of Agony.

8-0

Afterwards we discuss about the madness of dropping turn 2 Omniscience and casting double cantrips into nothing but the random drawn FoW off the Ponder. He had indeed boarded the full set of Leylines of Sanctity but did not mull away the expected Turn 2 kill which I fully agree with. For game 1 he told me his starting 7 were 4 non-Tomb-Lands, Spell Pierce, Omniscience and Emrakul which is a mulligan without doubt but the 6 he kept instead are simply too slow in any scenario. We remain twofold if a mulligan to 5 would have been smarter. I pick up with the waitress and have a lil chatter; managed to explain the game in a nerd-free-version ;D

Quarterfinal – NicFit

Quarterfinals? Yes, unfortunately. I hated the Top 4 modus we used the last 2 tournaments and I’m a strong supporter of pure swiss rounds as long as a tournament has less than 30 players because I often end up playing the same people over again in the elimination rounds. Somehow, there’s still the thrill of the face-off. Here we faced an uncommon issue: Lots of the lower positioned players don’t wanted to play any longer and therefore dilute the essence of this tournament series and made me quite frustrated, if not barely angry. After a bit of talk among the remaining players, we ended up with a T8 showdown after our 6th place headed home too for his wife and child. I tip my hat to such men.

Game 1

I’m now playing the guys who slipped in because of the drop I mentioned earlier. He keeps his 7 and I see those

Gemstone Mine
    Underground Sea
    Gitaxian Probe
    Brainstorm
    Ponder
    Lotus Petal
    Silence

This hand has nothing but 3 cantrips and 2 lands. I’m damn conservative in my mulligan decisions and in retrospective it may was a mistake at this point. I had no intention to mull this hand against a blue deck, but as you have already read, my lack of observing my potential opponents strikes again. I opt to play first and facepalm myself after casting Gitaxian Probe, seeing a curve of Cabal Therapy into Sylvan Library into Liliana and a Living Wish among lands. I’m not completely sure what this deck actually is because of Wish + Library which looks very much like a swiss army knife in green. I draw Infernal and play Underground Sea thinking about my revealing play of Probe in face of his Therapy and if I should resist myself from playing the Ponder and keep Brainstorm. I Ponder. Ad Nauseam, Polluted Delta, LED. I resist to smile and take the Delta floating the Diamond. Bayou into Therapy is his opening play and I preach to name LED vs. storm combo if you therapy into the dark every time, but here he has a fine nose and picks the subject #2: Infernal Tutor. The Tutor goes into my graveyard while he’s making notes and talks about my lack of gas/business. I draw the LED, play out Gemstone Mine, Lotus Petal and LED. I cast Brainstorm and break the Diamond for BBB in response while my fellow playpartners face pales. I windmill-slam the Ad Nauseam on the table and pay for it with the Gemstone and the Petal. 18 Life … go counting

Infernal Tutor (16)
    Silence (15)
    Silence (14)
    Gemstone Mine (14)
    City of Brass (14)
    Duress (13)
    Rite of Flame (12)
    Gitaxian Probe (11)
    Gemstone Mine (11)
    Chrome Mox (11)
    Infernal Tutor (9)
    LED (9)
    Volcanic Island (9)
    Brainstorm (8)
    Lotus Petal (8)
    LED (8)
    Burning Wish (6)
    Rite of Flame (5)
    Empty the Warrens (1)

Chrome Mox (EtW), Petal, Rite, Rite, LED, LED, Brainstorm off Petal, draw Petal+Mox+City, put back both Infernals, Petal, Mox (Duress), pop Petal and tap Mox for BBRRRR in my pool and Wish for Tendrils without the need to break any of the Lion’s Eye Diamonds.

9-0

Sideboarding: -4 Silence, +2 Chain of Vapor, +2 Cabal Therapy

Game 2

He starts with a mulligan to 6 and I see those 7:

Duress
    Chain of Vapor
    Chain of Vapor
    Gemstone Mine
    Gitaxian Probe
    Ad Nauseam
    Burning Wish

Hahaha … this hand is so bad on so many levels I don’t bother talking about it.

Gitaxian Probe
    Ponder
    Dark Ritual
    Gemstone Mine
    LED
    Brainstorm

About the cream of the crop you can get with a mull to 6. He starts with Verdant Catacomb into Cabal Therapy again hoping he can get a second turn this time. I have no doubt about the resolution and he again names Infernal Tutor … Jesus, peeps will never learn. I draw Burning Wish and cast Brainstorm off Gemstone. This may confuse you at this point having Probe and Ponder in my hand but I have the intention to put back the Wish on top of my library for a nice trick with Gitaxian Probe and LED. I draw Infernal, Chrome Mox and Dark Ritual off the Brainstorm. I put back Ponder and Wish, cast Mox (imprint Infernal), LED, Ritual, Ritual, Gitaxian Probe, break the Diamond in response for BBBBBRRR, draw the Wish and cast it to fetch Empty the Warrens for 16 goblins. I did not see any option for either getting an Ill-Gotten-Gains-Loop working here or casting Infernal for Ad Nauseam rather than using it for imprint. May any of you dear readers can come up with a scenario which make either option work, let me know. Appendix: The Probe reveals 2 lands, Sylvan Library and a Living Wish which leaves me pretty confident. He drops a second land and plays Green Sun’s Zenith for Veteran Explorer. Let’s call this deck a NicFit, ok? I draw a Ponder and throw it on the stack seeing LED, Probe and Delta. I play said Delta afterwards and attack with the team. He blocks with the Explorer and gets 2 basics, untapping with 4 Lands and 4 lifepoints. He casts Living Wish and scrolls through his Sideboard but lacks a real solution. He takes a Tabernacle of Pendrell Vale and drops Sylvan Library in addition. I pay for 3 goblins in my upkeep after fetching an Underground Sea and smash again. My draw gave me Brainstorm which reveals Petal, Burning Wish and LED, I keep the Petal and throw back the rest. He looks at the top 3 and finds Deed to blow up my Mox and goblins before shipping the turn. I just draw the LED. He plays GSZ for Thragtusk putting himself back to 6 life. He plays Scavenging Ooze and pushes into the red zone dropping me to 12. I draw Volcanic Island and cast Petal (storm1), LED (storm2), Burning Wish (storm3) for Tendrils of Agony (storm4). Ooze can only eat his Veteran Explorer for life which is not enough to survive.

10-0

Take a lil' break at this point

Semifinal – Jund

Game 1

Woooooooooo! Won the dice! Take a look at my starting 7:

Ad Nauseam
    Lotus Petal
    Gitaxian Probe
    Gemstone Mine
    Gemstone Mine
    Silence
    Dark Ritual

I like this one. He mulled to 5 which is almost a punt against TES. I open with Probe and find Tarmogoyf, Wasteland, 2 Bloodstained Mire and Thoughtseize in his hand. I play Gemstone Mine and pass the turn just to cast Silence in his upkeep. He plays, land go and in my Turn I can play Gemstone Mine, Petal, Ritual, Ad Nauseam.

Probe (17)
    Ponder (16)
    LED (16)
    LED (16)
    Duress (15)
    Infernal Tutor (13)
    Rite of Flame (12)
    Delta (12)
    Ritual (11)
    Petal (11)
    Rite of Flame (10)
    Ponder (9)
    Chrome Mox (9)
    Burning Wish (7)

I stop here because he runs Lightning Bolt and I don’t want to die to that red instant if I reveal EtW, especially after having already more than enough mana. Petal, LED, LED, Mox (Duress), tap Mox to cast Dark Ritual, Mox (Infernal), crack Petal for R, Rite, Rite, Burning Wish into Tendrils of Agony.

11-0

Sideboarding: no sideboarding here

Game 2

We both keep our hands

LED
    Polluted Delta
    Silence
    Volcanic Island
    Brainstorm
    Ponder
    Gemstone Mine

He starts with Swamp into Thoughtseize taking my LED. I draw another Gemstone Mine and drop the Volcanic Island to Ponder into Rite, Infernal and Chrome Mox. I take the Rite and float Infernal. He wastes my Volcanic and passes back. I play Delta, go. Badlands into Dark Confidant on the opposing side. I fetch away the crappy Mox on top of my library at end of turn and draw a fresh Brainstorm. I play a Gemstone and pass. He wastes my U.Sea which I use to brainstorm into crap and get attacked to 17. I draw one of the 2 Silences I have on top of my library atm, drop another Gemstone and go for Silence-walk. He flips for Bob, attacks. I draw Silence and use it for another pseudo-timewalk. He flips Bloodbraid Elf for the Dark Confidant and is down to 9 life at this point due to my notes. My draw gives me Gemstone no. 3 and I choose to go for gold. Probe (seeing 2 Liliana, Punishing Fire, Abrupt Decay, Lightning Bolt, BBE), draw a Dark Ritual, Brainstorm into Dark Ritual, Chrome Mox and Brainstorm, put back Duress and Brainstorm, Mox (Rite), Ritual, Ritual, tap mox and Gemstone for a total of BBBBBRR to fetch Empty the Warrens for 12 goblins. He flips a Punishing Fire for Bob and draws for a total of 8 cards in his hand but no solution to the goblins

12-0

My pal made it to the semis with doomsday but did not manage to overcome RUG Delver. It’s my turn to set things straight.

Finals – RUG

Game 1

We both show pure confidence and keep our 7. Take a look at this beast:

City of Bras
    Duress
    Burning Wish
    Rite of Flame
    Underground Sea
    Dark Ritual
    Rite of Flame

I have the chance to play first and start with Underground Sea into Duress to see Sylvan Library, Brainstorm, FoW, Lightning Bolt, Scalding Tarn, Misty Rainforest and Daze. I take the 5-mana-counterspell and pass. He goes Tarn into Volcanic Island into Ponder and drawing one of the 3. My draw-step gifts me a Silence and I drop the City of Brass. Silence gets me thinking about something a dear user on MtgTheSource.com told me about my last RUG matchup and instead of pushing all in at this point without any need to do so I try to slow roll this one and see how it turns out. He drops the Library after fetching a Tropical Island. I draw a Petal which is outright perfect! I cast Silence (storm1) off City which meets FoW (storm2)! Petal (storm3), Rite of Flame off the cracked Petal which he dazes (storm4). I respond with Dark Ritual (storm5) draining mana from my Underground Sea and paying for Daze. I cast the second Rite of Flame (storm6) for RRRRBB which enables me to finally cast Burning Wish (storm7) into Empty the Warrens (storm8). He immediately scoops.

13-0

Sideboarding: -1 Infernal Tutor, -1 Chrome Mox, +2 Cabal Therapy.

Game 2

My opening 7 for the Triple Crown(?!):

LED
    Volcanic Island
    Dark Ritual
    Ponder
    Empty the Warrens
    Silence
    Gemstone Mine

Oh god, ya like me, no? We both keep our initial 7 and I try not to giggle with the natural EtW in hand. He goes Volcanic into Delver of Secrets. I draw Rite of Flame and go for Volcanic Island into Ponder which reveals Probe, Duress and Silence. I take the Probe and float Duress to ship the turn. His Delver is not granted to flip over because he reveals a Scalding Tarn which rather enters the field. He swings and passes. I Duress him off the after playing the Gemstone Mine and he slides forth and back on his seat undecided what to do but reveals his hand in the end without reaction: FoW, Flusterstorm, Sylvan Library, Stifle and Daze. I think he should have indeed countered my Duress with FoW to hide the information about Stifle and Flusterstorm being available. I feel pushed to strip him off the Force and surpass Stifle via Silence. I ship the turn. He misses his Delver flip again for a land; this time for a Volcanic Island. He plays Sylvan Library and I feel in trouble if he’s able to untap with it after already having access to a 3 mana bump in form of Daze + Flusterstorm. After being cuddled by the Delver for another 1 life I draw a second Silence and opt to use it to bait the annoying Storm-counter. I cast G.Probe (going to 16 life) into City of Brass which I stick onto the playmat and use to cast Silence having Volcanic and Gemstone untapped. He HAS to Flusterstorm at this point and wants me to pay 3 more mana, which isn’t too appealing lol. I pass the turn again. He stacks his topdeck with Sylvan Library keeping one extra card from S.Library going to 15, reveals Lightning Bolt to Delver, attacks and flings the red instant at me to put my lifecounter down to 9. Another Delver joins the party and I’m sure I face lethal at this point. My expected final draw for the game is Ponder. Now I realize that my soooo-awesome-EtW is outright dead. I don’t think I missed a window of opportunity but feel bad. I Silence off City of Brass, which he dazes, but I cast Dark Ritual off the Gemstone in response burning the land in the process and pay for Daze. I cast Lion’s Eye Diamond and think about my mana which is too limited to gamble for Ponder into a Burning Wish so I make 10 goblins. He looks at his top 3 and reveals a Lightning Bolt to me, attacks with both 3/2 Insects and finishes me off with the Bolt.

13-1

Sideboarding: -2 Duress, +2 Xantid Swarms.

Game 3

I feel I should gamble on his Lightning Bolts because his 4 Bolts appear less threatening than all the Stifle, FoW, Spell Pierces, Dazes, and Flusterstorms.

LED
    Infernal Tutor
    Burning Wish
    Ponder
    Gemstone Mine
    Chrome Mox
    Gemstone Mine

I keep that one being really tired. I use Gemstone to ponder about my options which are Probe, City of Brass and Cabal Therapy. I take the City and float Probe. My Gemstone Mine gets wasted in his turn. I draw now the Probe for turn and stick the next Gemstone and cast Gitaxian Probe seeing Daze + 2 Flusterstorm in his hand waiting for me. I use the drawn Therapy to get rid of the Flusterstorms. He goes Scalding Tarn for Volcanic, Delver, go. I draw Dark Ritual for the Turn and cast Chrome Mox (imprint Wish), Ritual, Infernal for EtW bringing 10 dudes to the table and flashback Therapy to strip his 2 Ponder I saw off the Probe the turn before. He reveals Tropical Island to Delver and sticks Tarmogoyf. I draw Delta, play it and attack, losing a goblin in the process to the Lhurgoyf. He reveals a Nimble Mongoose, plays it and pass. I draw brainstorm, attack with 8 goblins and again loose 1 taking him down to 3. He finally reveals an instant: Daze. He faces 7 goblins with his potential 3 blockers and a lifecounter telling him the undeniable truth: It’s over.

14-1

After the match and money-distribution we separate because some fellas have to drive a while to get home and work already waits this Thursday morning. I walked over to the counter to pay my bill and get into a chat with the cutie again, talking ‘bout personal stuff for some laughing and exchanging phone-numbers. No Spoilers here ;D

Propper:
    - Waitress
    - Martini d’Oro is the best
    - TES being the best Goblin.dec in the Format

Blopper:
    - bitchy peeps
    - Quitters
    - too many close games for my taste
    - trainride … god, I wish we could held those events IN Berlin (-.-)

Factsheet:
    - 3 wins off EtW
    - 8 times casted Ad Nauseam
    - 8 games finished via Tendrils
    - 2 games finished via Grapeshot
    - 1 time casted Diminishing Returns
    - 1 time casted Past in Flames
    - casted Lion's Eye Diamond 26-times

Thx for staying with me till the end.

Play-by-Play TES Reports
    Heart of the Storm - Vol. 1
    Heart of the Storm - Vol. 2
    Heart of the Storm - Vol. 3
    Last edited by Lemnear; 04-23-2013 at 02:22 AM.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Re: Heart of the Storm #3 - Day of the Tentacle

Great report, congrats on the victory (yet again)! It's always great to see detailed reports of plays like this. Overall, impressively played. Some comments:

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Quarterfinal – NicFit
    [...]
    Sideboarding: -4 Silence, +2 Chain of Vapor, +2 Cabal Therapy

Game 2

[...]
    Gitaxian Probe
    Ponder
    Dark Ritual
    Gemstone Mine
    LED
    Brainstorm

About the cream of the crop you can get with a mull to 6. He starts with Verdant Catacomb into Cabal Therapy again hoping he can get a second turn this time. I have no doubt about the resolution and he again names Infernal Tutor … Jesus, peeps will never learn. I draw Burning Wish and cast Brainstorm off Gemstone. This may confuse you at this point having Probe and Ponder in my hand but I have the intention to put back the Wish on top of my library for a nice trick with Gitaxian Probe and LED. I draw Infernal, Chrome Mox and Dark Ritual off the Brainstorm. I put back Ponder and Wish, cast Mox (imprint Infernal), LED, Ritual, Ritual, Gitaxian Probe, break the Diamond in response for BBBBBRRR, draw the Wish and cast it to fetch Empty the Warrens for 16 goblins. I did not see any option for either getting an Ill-Gotten-Gains-Loop working here or casting Infernal for Ad Nauseam rather than using it for imprint. May any of you dear readers can come up with a scenario which make either option work, let me know.
    The Gitaxian Probe play is cute, but I think it's just better to Probe to see one deeper and then decide if you want to Brainstorm to hide cards or Ponder for a kill next turn. If he has no disruption or you can afford the DR getting Therapied (let's be honest, he's not going to blind name BW) it's definitely correct to Ponder.
    Your outs on the Brainstorm for a kill that turn are 4 Lotus Petal OR 3 Chrome Mox AND 12 B cards. I don't want to do the math right now, but I'm fairly confident it's below 30%. (Aside, I wrote that, then decided to do the math. 28.5% with no assumptions. Boom, I am a mathmagician. I can post the Excel worksheet if want)

If the Brainstorm whiffs, you're going to have to put back [bottom | BW | DR | top] and play LED, ship, draw DR, play GP, BW -> EtW for only 8? That seems bad. The other options aren't great but aren't terrible - put back 2 DR, play LED, ship, then GP, Ponder hoping to hit gas to make IT->Ad Naus live, or at worst to CM (imprint DR)->DR->IT->EtW? I guess that's ok.

Based on how you did play, you played that line optimally. I don't like the line you took, but it did pay off.

Finals – RUG
    [...]
    Sideboarding: -1 Infernal Tutor, -1 Chrome Mox, +2 Cabal Therapy.

Game 2

My opening 7 for the Triple Crown(?!):

LED
    Volcanic Island
    Dark Ritual
    Ponder
    Empty the Warrens
    Silence
    Gemstone Mine

Oh god, ya like me, no? We both keep our initial 7 and I try not to giggle with the natural EtW in hand. He goes Volcanic into Delver of Secrets. I draw Rite of Flame and go for Volcanic Island into Ponder which reveals Probe, Duress and Burning Wish. I take the Probe and float Duress to ship the turn. His Delver is not granted to flip over because he reveals a Scalding Tarn which rather enters the field. He swings and passes. I Duress him off the after playing the Gemstone Mine and he slides forth and back on his seat undecided what to do but reveals his hand in the end without reaction: FoW, Flusterstorm, Sylvan Library, Stifle and Daze. I think he should have indeed countered my Duress with FoW to hide the information about Stifle and Flusterstorm being available. I feel pushed to strip him off the Force and surpass Stifle via Silence. I ship the turn. He misses his Delver flip again for a land; this time for a Volcanic Island. He plays Sylvan Library and I feel in trouble if he’s able to untap with it after already having access to a 3 mana bump in form of Daze + Flusterstorm. After being cuddled by the Delver for another 1 life I draw a second Silence and opt to use it to bait the annoying Storm-counter. I cast G.Probe (going to 16 life) into City of Brass which I stick onto the playmat and use to cast Silence having Volcanic and Gemstone untapped. He HAS to Flusterstorm at this point and wants me to pay 3 more mana, which isn’t too appealing lol. I pass the turn again. He stacks his topdeck with Sylvan Library keeping one extra card from S.Library going to 15, reveals Lightning Bolt to Delver, attacks and flings the red instant at me to put my lifecounter down to 9. Another Delver joins the party and I’m sure I face lethal at this point. My expected final draw for the game is Ponder. Now I realize that my soooo-awesome-EtW is outright dead. I don’t think I missed a window of opportunity but feel bad. I Silence off City of Brass, which he dazes, but I cast Dark Ritual off the Gemstone in response burning the land in the process and pay for Daze. I cast Lion’s Eye Diamond and think about my mana which is too limited to gamble for Ponder into a Burning Wish so I make 10 goblins. He looks at his top 3 and reveals a Lightning Bolt to me, attacks with both 3/2 Insects and finishes me off with the Bolt.

13-1
    I don't think I'd board out a Chrome Mox. Usually we have to go off after taking 6+ points of damage, so the extra IMS off Ad Nauseam can be critical. I just don't think I'd board in both Therapies.

I think you missed a turn somewhere. If you Pondered t1 into [bottom | BW | Duress | GP | top], drawing GP, then on t2 you draw Duress, play it, then on your t3 you must draw BW, not a Silence somehow. Either way, I feel like the line you took was somewhat suboptimal given what seems to be in your hand. T2 I wouldn't take Force - Flusterstorm can stop your Empty by istelf, but he's less willing to Force some random rituals if you try to cast the Empty in your hand. Furthermore, 1 Flusterstorm is usually enough to counter a Silence, but if you take Flusterstorm and then Silence next turn, you make him burn his Force and he's left with only either a Stifle or a Daze.
    So assuming you take Flusterstorm, next turn you somehow have DR, EtW, LED, BW, Silence, Silence in hand, Volc, Mine, and City in play to his Delver, 1 mana up, Force, Stifle and Daze in hand. You Silence, he Forces pitching either Daze or Stifle. If he pitches Stifle then you probably have to ship unless you put the read on him not Dazing your DR. If he pitches Daze, you definitely have to ship. So this line ends up with him at 1 less life, not super relevant, but it could have been an Empty for 14 if you drew a Duress instead of a Silence, for example.

The next turn with Delver (flipped) and another Delver onboard, your only out is to Burning Wish for Grapeshot. It burns your whole hand, but at least you can hope he bricks before you draw LED + BW. You can't race Delvers + Library. Close game though.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

@phazonmutant

NicFit - I have no idea what kind of Devil was riding me here to think about EtW vs. a deck with Deeds in the first place. Total brainfart. Aside from that, I gambled on the 30% Chance to hit a IMS for 12 goblins turn 1, but should have switched to Infernal Tutor as centerpiece of my gameplan after the Brainstorm.

RUG - Wish/Silence must be an error. I remember the 2 Silences but not the wish. I'll correct that in the report.
    I did not expect being able to cast Ad Nauseam early here so I removed the Mox. You are correct about picking Flusterstorm over FoW. This Match was full of failure on both sides imo, because I was halfways asleep on the table at some point These tournaments take place after a day at work and a trainride which is madness but having to play a whoopin' 7 rounds here is stupid

Thx for input. Documenting mistakes is part of the intention :)
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Epic Fizzle
    Feb 2007
    River Falls, Wi

If you get a Day of the Tentacle playmat made. I want one too. Stealing George Washington's teeth, the left-handed hammer and the time traveling toilet were some of the best parts.

That game was one of my first adventure/puzzle games. Myst being the first.

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

Great report again. Hoping reading all those plays will improve my own play!

Props for the hits on the waitress.

Walked away with the money and the chick...!
    I facepalm so hard in Public that hipsters gonna make this a new trend

Jun 2012
    Argentina

good report, just 1 question, maybe im reading in the wrong way, but sometimes, when you cast ad nauseam, you don't seem to lose life with a revealed gitaxian probe, im right?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by SaberTooth View Post
    good report, just 1 question, maybe im reading in the wrong way, but sometimes, when you cast ad nauseam, you don't seem to lose life with a revealed gitaxian probe, im right?
    No, i do loose the 1 lifepoint every time as far as I checked my report (exception: possible typo). The number behind the cardname is the lifestanding after the reveal
    Last edited by Lemnear; 04-24-2013 at 10:57 AM.

Join us at Facebook!

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

an exclusive round of well-dressed men, smoke and snobby drinks lol
    I'd have a much easier time believing that if you changed your avatar lol
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    I'd have a much easier time believing that if you changed your avatar lol
    Ser's Julian,

yeah, heared this before. Thankfully that's not holding back people from reading (afaik lulz). :D

Join us at Facebook!

Hi just a quick question regarding your draw IT + LED LED on table
    when you crack led for BBBRRR for ad nauseam do you always keep a red in pool ? or it depends ?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycounet View Post
    Hi just a quick question regarding your draw IT + LED LED on table
    when you crack led for BBBRRR for ad nauseam do you always keep a red in pool ? or it depends ?
    It depends on burned Rituals/Rites/Infernals/Wishes mainly. Aside from that, Wishing for Tendrils is much cheaper and less depending on LED than Infernal -> Wish -> Tendrils, so I usually prefer keeping red mana.

Join us at Facebook!

Thread Information