Thread: Top2 with painter in Zurich, Switzerand

Top2 with painter in Zurich, Switzerand

Hi there folks,

i just played at a medium local tournament in Zurich in Switzerland (35 players, 6 rounds + top8) and wanted to write a small report about it, since all rounds were against medium til quite good players and most of the matches were quite interesting. First for the decklist (BIG thanks to Kap'n Cook for the idea of playing siege-gang-commander – it was huge!)

"Moonraker"

8x mountain
    3x great furnace
    4x ancient tomb
    4x city of traitors
    4x simian spirit guide
    4x painter's servant
    4x imperial recruiter
    2x goblin welder
    2x magus of the moon
    1x phyrexian revoker
    1x Jaya Ballard, task mage
    1x manic vandal
    4x faithless looting (i still dislike top without many shuffle-effects and fetchlands don't count unter a blood moon)
    4x blood moon
    4x grindstone
    3x red elemental blast
    3x pyroblast
    2x chrome mox
    2x umezawa's jitte

SB:
    1x siege-gang-commander
    1x duplicant
    2x electrickery
    2x shattering spree
    4x thorn of amethyst
    3x relic of progenitus
    2x ensnaring bridge

Last minute-change in this aggro-based painter-variant were the 3 relics instead of crypts, which shine against canadian (mungo / goyf), bug (deathrite / goyf / snapcaster) and ecspecially jund (deathrite / goyf / punishing fire). I know they have an antisynergy with welder and looting, but in the matchups, in which you board them, this does not matter that much, since they can win here the matches on their own (or with a random critter carrying jitte). Now for the rounds...

Round 1: Dredge
    G1 he wins the dice-roll (like most of my opponents today...), mulls, but still has a good start with study + led into looting flashback. I answer with ancient tomb + painter with grindstone in my hand. He dredges quite a lot and is able to therapy away my stone. Lucky for me i draw another and have a mountain to blast his next turn dread return. To combo him out t3. G2 he starts again with study but fails 2 turns to find a dredger and when relic + bridge come online he scoops. 2:0 => 1:0

Round 2: Canadian
    He opens with tropical go, i play tomb painter (ssg and stone in my hand) but he spell snares. T2 a goyf comes down which hits fast and hard. I have a recruiter but the round before i can finish him, he forked bolts my recruiter and me, attacks me with goyf and finishes me exactly on 0 life. G2 i have 1. round moon and he no force, no more to say. G3 he starts with tropical, i with a mountain. T2 he only plays wasteland and passes. I play mountain + painter, which again gets snared. His nxt turn play is tarmogoyf, which i answer with a 3. mountain and blood moon, with ssg for his daze and another ssg + blast for his force. Goyf is handled 2 turns later by recruiter into painter with 2 bolts (1 for his goyf, 1 to counter his bolt). 2:1 => 2:0

Round 3: Deathblade (teammate Florian Hess, known as a great Vintage-player)
    My buddy opens with land go. I only have chrome mox, but looting finds an ancient tomb. Unlucky for me this gets wasted the next turn and i don't draw another land, while on his side a confi enters the game and 2 turns later i scoop. G2 i open with 1. round blood moon and this it is. G3 he opens with fetchland, go. I have the 1. round moon but don't want to run into spell pierce, so i pass with a mountain in play. He can't resist any plays tundra confidant. Now it's time for the moon, which resolves and since he only has 1 swamp (+ mountains), recruiter into siege-gang + jitte end the game very fast. 2:1 => 3:0

Round 4: Jund
    This time i win the dice but have to mull to 5 (no land in 7 AND 6 card-hand...). I know what he plays so i play mountain chrome mox, imprint magus of the moon, keeping furnace and a blood moon in my hand. He plays bayou thoughtseize and gets the moon, but it's rly good to topdeck another of theese which makes my opponent scoop 4 turns later. G2 i don't get a moon online but my opponent has 0 pressure. A painter on my side gets decayed and i take in rsp out his lonely tarmogoyf. T7-8 i have 2 recruiters in play, another painter and play a searched siege-gang commander while he only has a bloodbraid in play but two (!) punishing fires, which burns the siege-gang (meanwhile he is on 7 or 8 life). Here i make a crucial misplay: I have 3 lands in play, a ssg in my hand and draw the grindstone. I play it, thinking i can surprisingly remove the ssg to react on a removal from his side, but of course he just gets back both fires and kills my painter. If i had just attacked with the 3 remaining tokens and the 2 recruiters, he surely would have killed at least 1 with a fire to take not to much damage which would have me allowed to combo him out. So we go to G3, where i'm allowed to start again. I don't have a moon but a solid hand, so i start with mountain grindstone. His t1 play is fetch swamp go. T2 i draw a moon but don't have 3 mana, so i just play revoker, naming Liliana (since i have a relic in my hand against a possible deathrite). On his next turn he plays badland, ancient grudge on my grindstone and extracts it but is not happy about it, since next turn the moon comes down to screw him on only 1 black. When i draw 2 turns later a recruiter into siege gang, the game is over and i'm top8. 2:1 – 4:0

Round 5: Merfolk
    We draw but he wants to play for fun – i would have crushed him easily 2 times, so he's quite happy about the result. 0:0 => 41

Round 6: ID. 0:0 => 42

Quarterfinals: Vial Maverick
    Again my opponent starts and plays savannah, vial, go. I have 1. round moon which slows him down quite a lot. Vials brings in a revoker naming goblin welder, another revoker naming grindstone and a stoneforge searching for sofi. Meanwhile i have in play welder, painter and a blast in my hand. The blast handles his vialed-in knight, then a recruiter brings me the manic vandal, which destroys the vial. He really draws his 1of plains and plays Thalia, but on my side a jitte comes into play, connects to painter and he trades for thalia + the revoker. I exchange a furnace for the painter and he scoops. G2 is just brutal. He has vial which brings in a bird before it gets destroyed by shattering spree. He is able to cast a stoneforge for sofi and passes the turn with 1 wasteland, plains and bird in play. In my turn i play a blood moon which makes my city staying in play while playing another land. In his turn he play another wasteland-mountain, brings sofi in and equips the bird. Time for my painter to enter the game, making the sofi falling off from the bird, which allows me to blast the bird AND the plains. My very friendly opponent just shakes his head and scoops. 2:0 => 52

Semifinals: Canadian (the same guy i played against in round 2)
    He starts with volcanic delver. I have a hand with mountain, 2 cities, 2 painter, 1 grindstone, 1 blast and draw the 3. city. While i don't want to loose my grindstone to daze but still slow him down, i blast the delver, which gets dazed as exspected. Delver flips a brainstorm and puts me in 17. I play city grindstone + painter, which he responds with brainstorm. Painter resolves and in his turn he plays bolt painter, atk with delver and wastes my city. I draw a mountain, play city, painter go. He draws, has nothing and we go to g2. Again he starts with volcanic, delver. I have chrome mox imprint magus, great furnace and a ssg into blood moon. He has daze but i another ssg + a blast for his delver so he scoops t3. 2:1 => 62

Finals: UWR aggro-stoneblade
    My opponent starts with tundra go. I have mountain, grindstone, which resolves. In his turn he plays stoneforge into jitte. In my turn i play tomb painter, which he forces. He plays a 3. tundra and passes. In my turn i play mountain and another painter, keeping a ssg in my hand. Eot he swords the painter, in rsp i try to mill him with tomb + ssg, but he has a stifle for it. In his turn he plays jitte, equips and attacks, which i can answer with a followed up blood moon. Unfortunaly the Jitte in his nxt turn has already 4 counter and i don't draw a solution in 2 lootings + flashbacks, so we go to game 2. Here i have a 1. round blood moon and he no force. He can play a lonely grim lavamancer but scoops 2 turns later, when the 1. recruiter enters the game. G3 we both have incredible slow hands. T4 or so he has stoneforge into jitte, which trades with my goblin welder + recruiter. I handle his jitte with shattering spree but still fail to draw anything useful (3 lands 2 chrome moxen in a row...) and he plays a geist, which ends the game quite fast together with 2 bolts for my 2. welder and painter (a single moon would have the game till the geist entered the battlefield). 1:2 => 62

So im 2. at the end, taking a tarmogoyf for my efforts and i'm quite content with the result, knowing i will play the deck in Paris too. :-)

Probs:
    The cool guys with which i always take the rides tu Zurich (ecspecially the very funny Michael "the Gyyf" Schade
    The whole people in Zurich: Switzers are rly the most friendly magic-players i know.
    The whole Deck "Imperial painter"
    Faithless looting for finding (nearly) always the right thing
    Siege-gang commander
    Blood moon
    Flops:
    Jaya Ballard, being a great card, but boarded out quite often, against any deck with too much cc1 spot-removal (and of course against punishing fire)

Greetz from Germany
    Marius Hausmann

Re: Top2 with painter in Zurich, Switzerand

Thanks for the report.

I've already wondered where Michael Schade has ended up after he was banned from our store. He's always good times, one way or another

Aug 2010
    Germany

Re: Top2 with painter in Zurich, Switzerand

Nice report. I just ordered 1x SiegeGC ;). Seems pretty nice especially with Jitte...........

Thread Information