Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [article] Squandered Resources: Super Budget Super Series 5

[article] Squandered Resources: Super Budget Super Series 5

This thread is for the discussion of the most recent squandered resources article, Super Budget Super Series 5.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/1388-squ...-series-5.html

In this article I present three decks under $100. As with all of my articles, I wrote this article in order to provide budget players a basis for their budget deckbuilding options. Players can build these decks in order to have a better chance in competitive legacy (or kitchen table Legacy) even when on an extremely tight budget. Let me know how you feel about the decks and/or the article.

I write articles!
    Squandered Resources:
    Special thanks to Bornnover for the banner used in those articles.

Re: [article] Squandered Resources: Super Budget Super Series 5

Thanks for another article. I appreciate the fresh ideas and lists. This time around I am a particular fan of the Wildfire list. I have a fissure or two in my old school deck for the late game utility. Nice to see it getting a little love here.
    "If magic is your crutch, cast it aside and learn to walk without it." —Teferi

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Oh man Wildfire decks... I just played a Wildfire deck in Cube the other day. Man I love it. Destructive Force was probably my favorite deck when it was in standard...
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Oh man Wildfire decks... I just played a Wildfire deck in Cube the other day. Man I love it. Destructive Force was probably my favorite deck when it was in standard...
    The deck has some surprising oomph to it. I played a similar version at a judge foil tournament just last weekend and made top 8 before losing to U/W Landstill. I was able to take down BUG, Junk and Lands, (dropping a match to a second BUG deck in round 2, who eventually won the tournament) in great fashion. I was very pleasantly surprised at its power and with a few tweaks I may consider it for my next SCG.

I write articles!
    Squandered Resources:

Really like the Wildfire deck!
    Gonna give it a bash in multiplayer as I have most of those cards.

BTW; What changes would you make if someone wished to tweak the deck a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by slave View Post
    Really like the Wildfire deck!
    Gonna give it a bash in multiplayer as I have most of those cards.

BTW; What changes would you make if someone wished to tweak the deck a bit?
    Well I guess I have to ask you what you mean by tweaks. Are you asking what I would do if I put a little more money into it? Or did you just want to know if there were any on-budget changes that could be made?
    Last edited by -Spooky-; 04-29-2013 at 02:58 PM.

I write articles!
    Squandered Resources:

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013
    France

First of all, thank you -Spooky- for your always well inspired articles!

I second the others for the Wildfire deck. It reminds me the old Kai Budde list from 1999, one of my first love! In his version he used Temporal Aperture, do you think it could be a solution for this deck? If not, you have to make a deck that uses it!

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey_Island View Post
    First of all, thank you -Spooky- for your always well inspired articles!

I second the others for the Wildfire deck. It reminds me the old Kai Budde list from 1999, one of my first love! In his version he used Temporal Aperture, do you think it could be a solution for this deck? If not, you have to make a deck that uses it!
    Temporal Aperture was good back then, but I can't see it being worth much anymore. There are ways to find threats that are guaranteed, like Burning Wish and even Tooth and Nail, which can be wished for. I would much sooner pay the extra X amount of dollars for those cards than cast aperture, pay 5 mana and see a land. :/

Of course, I have not tested the card, and I very well can't dismiss something that has worked before. Just my first glance opinion on the matter I guess.

I write articles!
    Squandered Resources:

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

The black deck looks nice and it is good to see Null Broach get an outing.
    Phaze-naught is also fun although I am surprised you did not mention that Reality Ripple can permanently get rid of Batterskull?

702.24k Phased-out tokens cease to exist as a state-based action. See rule 704.5d
    702.24f When a permanent phases out, any Auras, Equipment, or Fortifications attached to that permanent phase out at the same time. This alternate way of phasing out is known as phasing out “indirectly.” An Aura, Equipment, or Fortification that phased out indirectly won’t phase in by itself, but instead phases in along with the permanent it’s attached to.
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Quote Originally Posted by lyracian View Post
    The black deck looks nice and it is good to see Null Broach get an outing.
    Phaze-naught is also fun although I am surprised you did not mention that Reality Ripple can permanently get rid of Batterskull?

702.24k Phased-out tokens cease to exist as a state-based action. See rule 704.5d
    702.24f When a permanent phases out, any Auras, Equipment, or Fortifications attached to that permanent phase out at the same time. This alternate way of phasing out is known as phasing out “indirectly.” An Aura, Equipment, or Fortification that phased out indirectly won’t phase in by itself, but instead phases in along with the permanent it’s attached to.
    I did not know that. You learn something every day. :D

I write articles!
    Squandered Resources:

I'm surprised you didn't put Delver of Secrets in the Phasenought deck. You've got a lot of Instants/Sorceries, and even without Brainstorm still have Ponder to help it flip.

Quote Originally Posted by -Spooky- View Post
    Well I guess I have to ask you what you mean by tweaks. Are you asking what I would do if I put a little more money into it?
    Yes.
    If money was no object, how would you choose to build a Wildfire deck, that remians fairly consistent?

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

I think you could put a decent reanimate list together for under $100 as well.

Edit: You may want to link the previous versions in your article as well to increase their readership.
    #mtgfinance follow on twitter: @mtgStaples

Quote Originally Posted by OBFREELY
    You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.
    Team Brown & Team Unicorn. Does that make me a Brown Unicorn?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    I'm surprised you didn't put Delver of Secrets in the Phasenought deck. You've got a lot of Instants/Sorceries, and even without Brainstorm still have Ponder to help it flip.
    I do touch on this for a second in the article. If I were to include delver, which really I am not against, then I would add preordain. Brainstorm is not worth it if you don't have the fetchlands to create shuffles. Really, I included the fairies over delver because the deck is pretty all in on the dreadnought, so protecting him from removal is a top priority.

Quote Originally Posted by slave View Post
    Yes.
    If money was no object, how would you choose to build a Wildfire deck, that remians fairly consistent?
    Oh, well this is the list that I took to a top 8 finish last weekend at a judge foil tournament before losing to U/W Landstill. I was able to take down BUG, Junk and Lands, (dropping a match to a second BUG deck in round 2, who eventually won the tournament). I mentioned this earlier, but was very pleasantly surprised at its power and with a few tweaks I may consider it for my next SCG.

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1106205

I really missed the 4th inferno titan, as that guy is seriously more powerful than I ever could have hoped for. Every time I found myself wanting a fatty, it was always inferno titan. His 3 damage on resolution, and subsequent 3 direct damage every attack is just insane. Also, his fire-breathing makes his clock ridiculous. If i remember correctly Titan finished the game in one swing every single game except once, when he was held back with a maze of ith against lands. Doesn't stop his direct damage trigger though, and I was able to finish victorious regardless.

I also think I need to put some number of sandstone needle back in. It wasn't a huge deal to miss out on the double red, but I can imagine it becoming one at least sometimes. Maybe a 2-2 split of needle and crystal is where I want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by zulander View Post
    I think you could put a decent reanimate list together for under $100 as well.

Edit: You may want to link the previous versions in your article as well to increase their readership.
    I've tried. The problem is consistency. Sometimes you get some pretty nuts hands, and other times you sit with nothing to do. This comes from dropping blue's cantrips. Another problem comes from your lack of counterspells. If you get something like griselbrand out you cant protect him if they top deck a removal spell. this forces you to run some sub-par reanimation targets that are harder to remove, like inkwell leviathan. :/

You are right about linking to my other articles. For whatever reason I never thought to do that, even though I know it is a pretty common practice.

I write articles!
    Squandered Resources:

I think you could include a monogreen elves list with no cradles as well.

Regarding the non-budget version of Wildfire (which, mad props on that one. Wildfire is sweet!), is there a reason to run Destructive Force over Burning of Xinye?

Quote Originally Posted by kirdie View Post
    I think you could include a monogreen elves list with no cradles as well.
    I have done this in previous Super Budget Articles, which you can find here.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/articles/writer/spooky.html

Quote Originally Posted by LennonMarx View Post
    Regarding the non-budget version of Wildfire (which, mad props on that one. Wildfire is sweet!), is there a reason to run Destructive Force over Burning of Xinye?
    There are a few reasons. The first, is that force is much easier to come by. In theory, that list was constructed with price being a non issue, but being able to find the cards you want is a very real limitation. Secondly, Burning targets, which is a decent sized issue. Combo is a thing, which means Leyline of sanctity is a thing. Also, The lands are destroyed, not sacrificed, so indestructible lands stay. Finally, the biggest reason is one I touch on in the article. Goyf. Burning does cost less, yes, but it also does less damage. Destructive force has a higher chance of killing goyf, and any other problem creature for that matter.

I write articles!
    Squandered Resources:

Just want to say your articles are great in many ways keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by joretapo View Post
    Just want to say your articles are great in many ways keep up the good work
    Thank you! As you long you guys keep reading I'll keep writing! I love coming up with decks like these.

I write articles!
    Squandered Resources:

Quote Originally Posted by -Spooky- View Post
    I really missed the 4th inferno titan......
    I also think I need to put some number of sandstone needle back in. It wasn't a huge deal to miss out on the double red, but I can imagine it becoming one at least sometimes. Maybe a 2-2 split of needle and crystal is where I want to be.
    I tested the budget version you listed, and found that I kept getting hands with no red mana at all for a few turns, so the needles definitely sound like a good call to put back in.
    I agree on Titan being a 4 of. Great card.

Just a question;
    If you're running Burning Wish, why are you running 3x Decree of Annihilation in the side?

Thread Information