Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [DECK] Tezzerator (U/x Trinket Toolbox)

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

Yeah, I'm testing Ugr, and as of yet, I like what I'm seeing. It has game vs a lot of the field in Modern, and Elixir is amazing!
    ''The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.'' Lord Eddard Stark - A Game of Thrones

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

Re: [DECK] Tezzerator (U/x Trinket Toolbox)

Ajá I wait for your impressions ! I'm thinking back to build my tezzerator but I don't know if I should play Ugr or Ub

Buying cardboard >
    Jan 2011
    801,Utah

Glad to see tezzerator is getting some play.

I tried to build a tezz deck when modern was announced, but it was difficult against the meta at the time.

I also just got in 5 german foil tezz*DD*, I know where 4 are going now. ;)
    What it takes to be a pimp:
    1. Knowing the right people.
    2. Have the money
    Not one or the other, but both.

The fastest way to become a millionare is to start with a billion dollars, then start collecting magic cards, eh? - dry cereal

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by r3dd09 View Post
    Glad to see tezzerator is getting some play.

I tried to build a tezz deck when modern was announced, but it was difficult against the meta at the time.

I also just got in 5 german foil tezz*DD*, I know where 4 are going now. ;)
    Maybe not 4 :P 4 is kind of overkill actually, 3 is a good number ;)
    ''The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.'' Lord Eddard Stark - A Game of Thrones

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Had anyone tried U/r/w combinations? I played against someone on Cockatrice before (I was playing Mono-U Tron) with the same combinations.

He had maindeck Leyline of Sanctity, Ensnaring Bridge, SOA Elspeth among other things. He had Tezz but his engine was more based on Trinket Mage and TfK.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

I haven't tried W yet, I want to for PtE because Galvanic Blast hasn't been pulling its weight..

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Since I'm "give suggestions" mode, has anyone looked at Ral Zarek?

If only there was a something like Grim Monolith or Time Vault in Modern
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Buying cardboard >
    Jan 2011
    801,Utah

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Froggy View Post
    Maybe not 4 :P 4 is kind of overkill actually, 3 is a good number ;)
    I agree, I'm just trying to find a home for the floater :(
    What it takes to be a pimp:
    1. Knowing the right people.
    2. Have the money
    Not one or the other, but both.

The fastest way to become a millionare is to start with a billion dollars, then start collecting magic cards, eh? - dry cereal

Mr. Froggy if you want to play Uw tezzerator you could try this:

Lands (22)
    1 Watery Grave
    1 Steam Vents
    3 Darksteel Citadel
    2 Hallowed Fountain
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Ghost Quarter
    8 Island
    3 Plains
    1 Gargoyle Castle
    1 Buried Ruin
    Spells (39)
    1 Azorius Signet
    2 Talisman of Progress
    3 Trinket Mage
    1 Sundering Titan
    1 Wurmcoil Engine
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    1 Spellskite
    4 Thirst for Knowledge
    3 Gifts Ungiven
    1 Condemn
    2 Path to Exile
    3 Tezzeret the Seeker
    2 Wrath of God/ Timely reinforcement
    1 Unburial Rites
    4 Remand
    2 Chalice of the Void
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Vedalken Shackles
    2 Engineered Explosives
    1 Crucible of Worlds

Or try Ub version with doom blade/ abrupt decay

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Back in old Extended you could untap your lands and what-not, but since the artifact lands are banned, there's not much more you can do. Also, the Crypt and Relics are slots I wasn't sure about, but I think I like Crypt more since it costs 0.

EDIT: I was thinking about adding Mox Opal maybe as a 2-of, to help out with the crazy manabase.
    Mox Opal kinda sucks. The deck doesn't really hit Metalcraft reliably. This is very much the same dilemma as Galvanic Blast.

You know what untaps your land: Ral Zarek. He is also a Lightning Bolt if you need him to be.

Remember when everyone was saying Super Jace was a 4 mana Brainstorm? Brainstorm is the king of Legacy. You know what's the king of Modern: Lightning Bolt!

A Planeswalker that can Lightning Bolt at least once a turn? Wow! (see: Ajani Vengeant)

Elixir of Immortality is BOSS
    I will keep this in mind. Not only it gains you life, it can also shuffle back your graveyard, so you can search for your trinket again! Talk about value town!

Quote Originally Posted by Canarias4life View Post
    Ajá I wait for your impressions ! I'm thinking back to build my tezzerator but I don't know if I should play Ugr or Ub
    How good is the UB Tezz over the blue Tezz? Can Grixis Tezzerator pull his weight?

I haven't tried W yet, I want to for PtE because Galvanic Blast hasn't been pulling its weight..
    Why not Lightning Bolt over Blast?

Although if you must try the white splash, I found this list off of another deck at Salvation:

1 Tolaria West
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Plains
    3 Mystic Gate
    1 Island
    3 Tectonic Edge
    3 Celestial Colonnade
    3 Adarkar Wastes
    3 Hallowed Fountain
    4 Darksteel Citadel

1 Mox Opal
    3 Talisman of Progress
    3 Azorius Signet

4 Ghostly Prison
    1 Day of Judgment
    3 Wrath of God
    4 Leyline of Sanctity

1 Thopter Foundry
    1 Elixir of Immortality
    1 Trinisphere
    1 Trading Post
    1 Torpor Orb
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Pithing Needle

4 Tezzeret the Seeker
    3 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

It's under the R/W lockdown deck.

The artifact that caught my eyes is Trading Post. I've always though this card had potential in Modern.

Also, would controlling your opponent's top deck be a viable strategy in Modern (ala Super Jace's Fateseal ability?)

What about Codex Shredder + Lantern of Insight?

Both can be fetchable by Tezz and Trinket Mage.

Also, what's the consensus on Epochrasite and Myr Superion as Tezz targets?
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Mox Opal kinda sucks. The deck doesn't really hit Metalcraft reliably. This is very much the same dilemma as Galvanic Blast.

You know what untaps your land: Ral Zarek. He is also a Lightning Bolt if you need him to be.

Remember when everyone was saying Super Jace was a 4 mana Brainstorm? Brainstorm is the king of Legacy. You know what's the king of Modern: Lightning Bolt!

A Planeswalker that can Lightning Bolt at least once a turn? Wow! (see: Ajani Vengeant)

I will keep this in mind. Not only it gains you life, it can also shuffle back your graveyard, so you can search for your trinket again! Talk about value town!

How good is the UB Tezz over the blue Tezz? Can Grixis Tezzerator pull his weight?

Why not Lightning Bolt over Blast?

Although if you must try the white splash, I found this list off of another deck at Salvation:

1 Tolaria West
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Plains
    3 Mystic Gate
    1 Island
    3 Tectonic Edge
    3 Celestial Colonnade
    3 Adarkar Wastes
    3 Hallowed Fountain
    4 Darksteel Citadel

1 Mox Opal
    3 Talisman of Progress
    3 Azorius Signet

4 Ghostly Prison
    1 Day of Judgment
    3 Wrath of God
    4 Leyline of Sanctity

1 Thopter Foundry
    1 Elixir of Immortality
    1 Trinisphere
    1 Trading Post
    1 Torpor Orb
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Pithing Needle

4 Tezzeret the Seeker
    3 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

It's under the R/W lockdown deck.

The artifact that caught my eyes is Trading Post. I've always though this card had potential in Modern.

Also, would controlling your opponent's top deck be a viable strategy in Modern (ala Super Jace's Fateseal ability?)

What about Codex Shredder + Lantern of Insight?

Both can be fetchable by Tezz and Trinket Mage.

Also, what's the consensus on Epochrasite and Myr Superion as Tezz targets?
    I like Ral Zarek, and I think I will change Galvanic for Lightning Bolt instead... Metalcraft is too conditional..

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Ral Zarek is probably okay, I would say as like a 2 of maximum, it seems reasonable and does some good things. I really question your logic in putting him in the Mox slot though but I guess I can ignore that.

The biggest part of Elixir is that it gains life and shuffles back so you can trinket/tezz for it again and gain more life: against some decks gaining 10 life is probably an autowin. I'm not sure if it's worth playing this maindeck with the inherent card disadvantage it brings because the effect is quite narrow.

The UB Tezz is doing something completely different:
    -You need a much higher density of artifacts in your deck to hit off the +1
    -You want to be a deck that attacks as part of its core gameplan otherwise the second ability doesn't do a lot (or boss synergies like Inkmoth)
    -You want to have a lot of artifacts in play (and take your opponent down a bit of life first) for the ultimate to do anything. Therefore you also want your artifacts to be cheap so that you can cast a bunch into play quickly (this also synergises with the +1 ability a lot more).

For this reason the UB version of Tezzeret functions much better as a finisher for an affinity style deck than as a sort of expensive-phyrexian-arena-with-upside in a control deck. Because the threats in modern are significantly better than they were in Shouta-Tezzeret-era standard you can't realistically protect your planeswalkers (and not die to your opponent) and simultaneously play enough artifacts to make UB Tezzeret functional in that controlling role.

Why not lighting bolt over blast? Why not blast over lightning bolt? This is very much NOT the same dilemma as playing Mox Opal. Mox Opal needs early metalcraft to be relevant because if your 0-mana source does nothing until turn 4 or 5 then it probably would have been better as a signet. The same is not true for a spell that does 2 damage turn 1-4 and then 4 damage from turn 5-ish onwards. While you can't hit metalcraft 'reliably', in the sense that you won't have it turn 1 or turn 2 every game like an affinity deck, you will have metalcraft 'reliably' in the sense that (unless your opponent draws infinite removal for all your artifacts) as the game progresses you will eventually build a board that has 3 artifacts on it. A lot of the creatures in the format die to lightning bolt OR shock: Deathrite, Bob, Delver, Clique, Snapcaster, whatever. There are also quite a few creatures that die to 4 damage but not three: Loxodon Smiter, Flipped Huntmaster, Colonnade, Resto, Germ Token etc. To make an argument for Bolt over G-Blast you have to provide a relevant list of creatures that die to 3 damage but not 2 (Kird Ape?) and I can't really make a case for this. Froggy must surely have some examples if he was complaining about Gblast underperforming so I'd like to hear his opinions.

That UW List is complete trash. (PRO TIP OF THE DAY: don't get lists from MTGS)
    -4 Ghostly Prison and 4 Leyline and 3 Ensnaring Bridge (AND NO TFK) means every game you will have way too many dead cards.
    -4 Wraths as your only removal in a hard-control deck (The 1-3 Wrath/DoJ split because why the fuck not).
    -Tolaria West can't find anything except more lands
    -Not playing 4 colonnade or 4 Tec Edge in your 2-color 30-mana-source no-turn-1-play deck
    -MD Trinishpere

If the takeaway is that maybe we should play trading post then I think that's reasonable
    -Gains life
    -Makes blockers
    -Draws cards
    -Returns artifacts
    None of these abilities are super attractive for the cost of the post but it has so much utility that I can see it performing well in a wide range of situations. The really nice thing is that it's such a good artifact to untap with tezzeret, something the current builds in this thread are seriously lacking.

Your codex/lantern wombo combo is awful. Jace fateseal is good because you stop them from drawing some of their good cards while also ramping the jace that you have in play. Spending 2 cards just to have a fateseal every turn is really quite bad.

I don't think you want to play either Epochrasite or Myr Superion.
    If you want Epochrasite then you're planning to block with it and then have it come back so you can block with it again, hopefully being able to block/kill enough of their guys that you can then start attacking with your Epochrasite. I think that getting to the "yay my Epochrasite is a wincon" stage is so unlikely that if you need blockers you'd rather just play Spellskites (which have added awesome utility against Twin/Burn/Decay/Infect/Bogle).
    Myr Superion is both better at attacking AND blocking than Epochrasite, but obviously not being able to cast it is very awkward. If I had to play either one I would go for the Superion just because its impact is more immediate (you can just pitch it to TFK if you draw it) but it's pretty awkward having a 5/6 as a wincon in your Ensnaring Bridge deck

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

I don't have any examples I can think of, right now at least, but every time I played G Blast, I would always wish it were Bolt. The 1-extra damage would provide the reach I needed, where G Blast wouldn't do it. Blast has only really been a Shock for me, and it sucks because of that.. -_-

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

kombatkiwi when I said Ub tezzerator I wanted to say Ub tezzerator with Tezzeret the seeker and not Tezzeret agent of Bolas.

bruizar

I honestly don't see why you would run tezz the seeker over tezz agent of bolas. What artifacts are you going to grab? there is no sword of the meek nor time vault in this format. E.Bridge is decent but is that enough? The rest of the artifacts just kind of suck..

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

Vedalken Shackles is one, and it's an amazing target in all honesty.

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

pithing needle, spellskite are other amazing target

bruizar

Oh, I definitely agree that Vedalken Shackles is an awesome target, but with decks packing ancient grudge as hate for affinity, I think you either need a good way of stopping splash-hate or you need to have such a high density of artifacts that their hate becomes inconsequential. I guess you could board in Welding Jar to circumvent Abrupt Decay on Shackles or Ensnaring Bridge, but you still have to deal with Ancient Grudge in an efficient manner. How do you guys plan on dealing with that?

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

Academy Ruins helps a lot in that regard, and with the lack of Wasteland in Modern, it's even better.

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    Ral Zarek is probably okay, I would say as like a 2 of maximum, it seems reasonable and does some good things. I really question your logic in putting him in the Mox slot though but I guess I can ignore that.
    Not in the Mox slot. Based on Frogger's list, I would either put him on the Cryptic Command or Clique slot.

The biggest part of Elixir is that it gains life and shuffles back so you can trinket/tezz for it again and gain more life: against some decks gaining 10 life is probably an autowin. I'm not sure if it's worth playing this maindeck with the inherent card disadvantage it brings because the effect is quite narrow.
    It's still a good silver bullet. You're not going to fetch it all the time but if you need it, it's always going to be there.

There's a lot of aggro decks in Modern. If you survive up to turn 5, Elixir will help you stabilize.

The UB Tezz is doing something completely different:
    -You need a much higher density of artifacts in your deck to hit off the +1
    -You want to be a deck that attacks as part of its core gameplan otherwise the second ability doesn't do a lot (or boss synergies like Inkmoth)
    -You want to have a lot of artifacts in play (and take your opponent down a bit of life first) for the ultimate to do anything. Therefore you also want your artifacts to be cheap so that you can cast a bunch into play quickly (this also synergises with the +1 ability a lot more).

For this reason the UB version of Tezzeret functions much better as a finisher for an affinity style deck than as a sort of expensive-phyrexian-arena-with-upside in a control deck. Because the threats in modern are significantly better than they were in Shouta-Tezzeret-era standard you can't realistically protect your planeswalkers (and not die to your opponent) and simultaneously play enough artifacts to make UB Tezzeret functional in that controlling role.
    I see what you're saying and it makes sense. I guess it all depends on how you want to pilot the deck. Personally I like the toolbox feel of the mono-blue Tezz

Why not lighting bolt over blast? Why not blast over lightning bolt? This is very much NOT the same dilemma as playing Mox Opal. Mox Opal needs early metalcraft to be relevant because if your 0-mana source does nothing until turn 4 or 5 then it probably would have been better as a signet. The same is not true for a spell that does 2 damage turn 1-4 and then 4 damage from turn 5-ish onwards. While you can't hit metalcraft 'reliably', in the sense that you won't have it turn 1 or turn 2 every game like an affinity deck, you will have metalcraft 'reliably' in the sense that (unless your opponent draws infinite removal for all your artifacts) as the game progresses you will eventually build a board that has 3 artifacts on it. A lot of the creatures in the format die to lightning bolt OR shock: Deathrite, Bob, Delver, Clique, Snapcaster, whatever. There are also quite a few creatures that die to 4 damage but not three: Loxodon Smiter, Flipped Huntmaster, Colonnade, Resto, Germ Token etc. To make an argument for Bolt over G-Blast you have to provide a relevant list of creatures that die to 3 damage but not 2 (Kird Ape?) and I can't really make a case for this. Froggy must surely have some examples if he was complaining about Gblast underperforming so I'd like to hear his opinions.
    If that's the case then, wouldn't Flame Slash be better?

On Metalcraft: when I first tested this deck, Mox Opal is always underwhelming because it can never hit Metalcraft consistently. How I only wish Chrome Mox was legal in this format.

That UW List is complete trash. (PRO TIP OF THE DAY: don't get lists from MTGS)

-4 Ghostly Prison and 4 Leyline and 3 Ensnaring Bridge (AND NO TFK) means every game you will have way too many dead cards.
    -4 Wraths as your only removal in a hard-control deck (The 1-3 Wrath/DoJ split because why the fuck not).
    -Tolaria West can't find anything except more lands
    -Not playing 4 colonnade or 4 Tec Edge in your 2-color 30-mana-source no-turn-1-play deck
    -MD Trinishpere
    I'm not saying copy the whole list. I was just suggesting and showing the list and see if there's a "tech" in that list. After all, someone asked for a U/W list. I wouldn't play that list.

Also, at your protip: tell that to Finn

If the takeaway is that maybe we should play trading post then I think that's reasonable
    -Gains life
    -Makes blockers
    -Draws cards
    -Returns artifacts
    None of these abilities are super attractive for the cost of the post but it has so much utility that I can see it performing well in a wide range of situations. The really nice thing is that it's such a good artifact to untap with tezzeret, something the current builds in this thread are seriously lacking.
    It's just a great tool over all. Is it worth the spot in the main? (not easily Tutorable by Tezz). I tried Trading Post in mono-blue Tron before and it keeps getting sided out. Maybe I'd be good here.

Your codex/lantern wombo combo is awful. Jace fateseal is good because you stop them from drawing some of their good cards while also ramping the jace that you have in play. Spending 2 cards just to have a fateseal every turn is really quite bad.
    If one card did all this, maybe. But two card, I see your point. Also, it's a late game thing. No one in their right mind will Fateseal Jace if they're behind on the board. I'm sure this applies to any logic.

I don't think you want to play either Epochrasite or Myr Superion.
    If you want Epochrasite then you're planning to block with it and then have it come back so you can block with it again, hopefully being able to block/kill enough of their guys that you can then start attacking with your Epochrasite. I think that getting to the "yay my Epochrasite is a wincon" stage is so unlikely that if you need blockers you'd rather just play Spellskites (which have added awesome utility against Twin/Burn/Decay/Infect/Bogle).
    Myr Superion is both better at attacking AND blocking than Epochrasite, but obviously not being able to cast it is very awkward. If I had to play either one I would go for the Superion just because its impact is more immediate (you can just pitch it to TFK if you draw it) but it's pretty awkward having a 5/6 as a wincon in your Ensnaring Bridge deck
    You're not always going to tutor for Myr Superion. If you need Bridge then you go get Bridge. If you need a quick beatdown before your opponent stabilizes (like sticking a Blood Moon against Tron), you get Superion. It's a silver bullet, not the main strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    I honestly don't see why you would run tezz the seeker over tezz agent of bolas. What artifacts are you going to grab? there is no sword of the meek nor time vault in this format. E.Bridge is decent but is that enough? The rest of the artifacts just kind of suck..
    I was thinking about this.

Then I got ideas from all the wierd lists I've seen in Cockatrice before:

Thopter Foundry with Crucible + Darksteel Citadel. I'm sure it's not as efficient as Sword of the Meek, but recurring Ghost Quarters isn't that bad too. Also, that list had Myr Servitor. It didn't have Tezzerator, but it ran Trash for Treasure.

Jank? Yes. Possible? Not sure. Definitely needs testing.

What about Storage Matrix? If you're losing, grab the proper silver bullet with Tezz. If you're good and want to keep your opponent from stabilizing, Storage Matrix might have its merits.

I am still convinced that Reshape can help this deck. It's no Tinker but the deck still revolves around Silver Bullets.

On a different note, I want to add that Chalice @ 2 is awesome in Modern.

PS. Typing all that on an iPhone is a bitch and a half
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Thread Information