Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do with Gush in Legacy?

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

What would you do with Gush in Legacy?

As a sister thread for the Tinker discussion, how would Gush be integrated into existing decks? Would the card enable new archetypes?

Gush is an incredibly broken, 'free' Draw 2 spell (at instant speed no less!). The drawback of the alternative cost isn't even much of a drawback: it can provide pseudo-ramp on turn 3 and later, and it makes Brainstorm and Jace activations even more powerful since it fills your hand with lands to shuffle away. It would help dig for a counterspell during a critical turn.

It interacts well with Merchant Scroll, and could be easily integrated into any deck archetype that plays Islands. More could be searched out via Intuition, and it's possible that something like Noxious Revival or Regrowth would see play to form a pseudo-engine. It could trigger a Miracle on your opponent's turn even without something like Sensei's Divining Top on the board. Though unlikely, corner-case 'Grow' creatures such as Quirion Dryad, Psychatog, Kiln Fiend, and Lorescale Coatl might see potential play alongside Gush. I'm sure there are plenty of other interactions I haven't considered.

The obvious winners would be RUG and BUG tempo (however, Wasteland is much worse when the effect could be effectively countered by a well-timed Gush), but blue-based Control and Combo archetypes would similarly benefit. Any method of generating 'free' Storm on a combo turn that also draws cards would be a welcome addition to TES and ANT.

The notable omissions from Vintage are the backbones of the 'Gush Engine': Fastbond and Yawgmoth's Will. But even without these two enablers, Gush is still incredible on its own.

The card is not really safe to unban. It provides an unfair method of card advantage that can't really be outdone by non-Blue decks. Games would probably often be decided by who drew more Gushes in the right timeframe. However, I think it's kind of fun to think about. Just how warped would the Format become with Gush available? What would your hypothetical 60 look like?

Re: What would you do with Gush in Legacy?

Quote Originally Posted by wcm8 View Post
    As a sister thread for the Tinker discussion, how would Gush be integrated into existing decks?
    I would shove it into Tempo Thresh and abuse the format.

Jun 2011
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I would play doomsday like a maniac (see what I did there ).

Quit and play Vintage and Modern.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    I would shove it into Tempo Thresh and abuse the format.
    Pretty much this. Probably four-color-pile more often than not.

May 2011
    Louisiana

I would play four copies of said card and win against anyone not playing it.

Pretty sure RUG delver just wins everything for the rest of the formats existence (which wouldn't be too long). Even nuttier is that you combine 4 x Gush with 4 x Brainstorm.

So now there's really little drawback in playing out slightly more lands than RUG needs (of course at most SCGs I see idiotic road apple's stumbling into victories with RUG delver despite having 6 lands in play) because now you can Gush them back and use them to make sure Brainstorm acts like Ancestral the way a good ban worthy card should.

The only weakness RUG had ... it's shaky, cheaty manabase is now invulnerable to Wasteland barring Gaddock Teeg. Fun format. The only thing that might be mildly interesting is maybe Quirion Dryad gets another run (or Vinelasher ...).

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Quit and play Vintage and Modern.
    This. If we're going to get unfettered access to Gush, then why be limited be the constraints of Legacy to begin with?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Enjoy DDFT even more.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Is this just a thing we're doing now?

Which card were you secretly talking about when you said Gush - Brainstorm, Meditate, Ancestral Visions? I give up, which Blue spell is the broken draw spell that you're really pointing the finger at.

EDIT - I guess if I had to say what deck I'd build, it'd totally be that Kiln Fiend/Blistercoil Weird Counterburn deck. Imagine the sweet technology of getting your rocks off with free spells like Force/Gush, pseudofree spells like Manamorphose, coupled with Lightning Bolts and maybe a dumbass Fling or something. Every Kiln Fiend will be a 16/2, every Blistercoil Weird will be a 7/7, and every opponent will feel savagely trolled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

This thread sucks, but in a world where Gush is legal, obviously Black Vice would also be unbanned, in which case I'm playing Stasis.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Quit, sell off what few decks/staples I have left, and go play EDH/Cube exclusively.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Play Standard. The best format ever!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Play some sorta Gro-A-Tog deck. Or combo. I don't know if there is anything better than those two.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Everybody saying how the would jam them Gushes in RUG decks.. on first sight this might seem logical. But wouldn't returning two lands and usually leaving 0 behind for Daze hurt RUG more than benefit it? Also, there would be some awkward situations where you'll have wasteland in play, either wasting you'r opponent or just sticking it with your lands to play let's say Goyf and leave Spellpierce backup.

.. not saying that Gush should be unbanned, but Jamming it in RUG.. I do not think it's more optimal than the current/standard lists we're currently running...

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

I agree with others that a tempo strategy that never wants to have more than two lands in play anyway would probably be the best thing you can do with Gush in Legacy.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

"Foil is as good as FoW, right?"

Feb 2013

Probably return two islands to my hand so I can draw two at instant speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I'd Sundering Titan the living shit out of you, even if I didn't win the game, I got to throw away 75% of the fun, and claim the last 25% as my own.
    Legacy: High Tide(WIP)

I'd trade all the Gush's I'm sitting on, for maximum value. Blue is stupid.

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

I would make deep, slow love in the butt with everyone not playing Blue.

Oh, wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miagi View Post
    Everybody saying how the would jam them Gushes in RUG decks.. on first sight this might seem logical. But wouldn't returning two lands and usually leaving 0 behind for Daze hurt RUG more than benefit it? Also, there would be some awkward situations where you'll have wasteland in play, either wasting you'r opponent or just sticking it with your lands to play let's say Goyf and leave Spellpierce backup.

.. not saying that Gush should be unbanned, but Jamming it in RUG.. I do not think it's more optimal than the current/standard lists we're currently running...
    Well you're wrong.

Thread Information