Page 197 of 320 FirstFirst ... 97147187193194195196197198199200201207247297 ... LastLast
Results 3,921 to 3,940 of 6383

Thread: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Jun 2013
    Western Pennsylvania

Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Riszo- I am working on Thoughtseizes and 2 more Wastelands next
    Thanks for the input on Sorin v. Hero

Zeph- Do you not like Abrupt Decay even though you are splashing green?

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

Quote Originally Posted by Astrus View Post
    Riszo- I am working on Thoughtseizes and 2 more Wastelands next
    Thanks for the input on Sorin v. Hero

Zeph- Do you not like Abrupt Decay even though you are splashing green?
    I would say if playing Abrupt as well i would have a second bayou, many matchups where you want abrupt Decay got their own wastelands, RUG, bug and many blade variants. But the matchups where you really need to to use the exile a creature with deathrite dont really play wastelands, dredge reanimator, so bit safer to just play 1 bayou there. Playing horizon canopy might also work, not tried it out yet thought.

The higher number of fetchlands increases the wasteland protection but makes stifle more threatening. But stifle is something I would rather be weak against as its pretty bad against rest of the deck tbh.

Apr 2013
    Toronto/Waterloo, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Rizso View Post
    I would say if playing Abrupt as well i would have a second bayou, many matchups where you want abrupt Decay got their own wastelands, RUG, bug and many blade variants. But the matchups where you really need to to use the exile a creature with deathrite dont really play wastelands, dredge reanimator, so bit safer to just play 1 bayou there. Playing horizon canopy might also work, not tried it out yet thought.

The higher number of fetchlands increases the wasteland protection but makes stifle more threatening. But stifle is something I would rather be weak against as its pretty bad against rest of the deck tbh.
    To reply to Astrus: I do like abrupt decay and I think it's very good (hence I have 2 in the sb) but I don't think it warrants md slots because they are harder to cast even with the 2 bayous + drs. I totally agree that abrupt decay is strong in match ups where you need the extra bayou, so the important thing is to keep your drs alive.

Also, don't play horizon canopy, the card is a pile.

Jun 2013
    Western Pennsylvania

Okay, I was also wondering if Bob or SFM was typically the a better second turn play. I know it probably depends on the match up, but some insight would be handy. =)

Apr 2013

Okay, I was also wondering if Bob or SFM was typically the a better second turn play. I know it probably depends on the match up, but some insight would be handy. =)
    It really depends on the MU, but in most cases I would play t2 sfm instead of bob. The only time I would play t2 bob is if I had t1 discard to see their hand, making sure they have no removal. Another case i would play bob first is if i know i'm playing against a deck that doesn't interact with our deck (aka combo). Even then it's still a hard decision because playing sfm means you'll have a fast clock starting t4 (might already be too slow against combo), but at least with a t2 bob you'll have a steady stream of cards.

The reason I would opt to play sfm first is because she'll fetch us an equipment and then probably eat removal via stp or decay or bolt/pfire. If they don're removal her than that's also fine cause then we'll cheat in batterskull have start ramming in for 4 a turn. I believe that bob and drs are the best cards in the deck and they are the ones that will win you the game. If they snap kill the sfm then that's one less removal you have to worry about for bob. Bob is also the main source of CA in this deck so it's critical for him to stay alive as opposed to any other creatures in this deck.

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

I would play stoneforge everytime on turn if their hand is unknown.
    Stoneforge is way more expendable the bob. Early unkilled bob wins games.

Jun 2013
    Western Pennsylvania

Where does Hymn come in on turn two priority? I know it is probably top against combo.

Apr 2013

Where does Hymn come in on turn two priority? I know it is probably top against combo.
    For me, I always play hymns as early as possible. That's when you can potentially deal the most damage to them. As you probably know the later hymns are the less effective they are. So you want to cast them on turn if you have sfm or bob in your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
    For me, I always play hymns as early as possible. That's when you can potentially deal the most damage to them. As you probably know the later hymns are the less effective they are. So you want to cast them on turn if you have sfm or bob in your hand.
    Yep, totally agree.

I still play Chrome Mox, hoping to live the dream by casting Hymn To Tourach first turn. If it hits you could mana screw your opponent which is devastating. Fortunately, people don't play Divert and only a few people play Misdirection...

The only time I remember having the choice of casting Bob or Hymn first and going with Bob was against BUG cascade. I cast Bob turn one with a Mox. The reasoning was if it wasn't Forced, Bob would live for a while since I had 2 wastelands in hand, against a deck that didn't likely have a 1 mana removal card.

Jan 2011
    York

people play divert more so now then ever as an answer to abrupt decay and in probably more sideboards then misdirection... still rare and in no way a reason not to run out hymn as early as possible, but still a relevant card worth keeping in mind Vs anything playing a delver.

Just a bit curious but how many of you are playing Hymn in your builds now? I do not play Hymn at all, instead I run 2 IoK, 3 Cabal Therapies, 2 Liliana of the Veil and 3 Tidehollow Scullers.

I am currently running three Hymns due to the sudden rise of combo decks in my meta. But considering how devestating Hymns can be against all decks, I donīt think I will cut them anywhere soon, even if the combo decks vanish again. I played Tidehollow Sculler before and found them strong, but underperforming without vials.

Went 4-2-1 at the Toronto PTQ legacy side event (the standard ptq had 367 players.) wow. Legacy had 27 or so. lol.

Finished in the top 4 and got a Force of Will for my trouble. My main is the same as it always is.

Round 1. Tin Fins. 2-1. I see Underground sea and Ponder.....so I think Storm? So I cast Hymn to Tourach on him and he discards Griselbrand. LOL, well it's still technically a Storm deck just not the one I was thinking. Games 2 and 3, I side in 11 or 12 cards. I hate Sneak show and I hate GY decks so a deck like Tin fins gets double the hate. Games 2 and 3, I cast Rest in Peace both games.

Round 2. Merfolk. 2-0. First turn Mystic (via Chrome Mox) gets me Fire and ice. He plays Island and Vial. I had Batterskull in hand so yeah....6/6 beats. Game 2 he has a Cursecatcher, Lord of Atlantis and 2 vials. I have Enginereed Explosives to 3 for 1 him. I also had a turn 2 Bob out that didn't die and flipped 4 lands. Another thing to note, he sides in Surgicals and Relics of Progenitus against me. I told him after that's really bad since I don't rely on GY, he mentions he could waste a land and extract it....but I think that play is too cute....I think he sided out 4 merfolk for those cards.

Round 3. Nic Fit. 1-0...he had a game loss after deck check. I didn't even know he was nic fit until I made him discard Primeval Titan. All I saw at that point were Jund Lands and Scavenging Ooze. I had a Shriekmaw out with SOFI on it to swing through his Thrun. GG.

Round 4. UR Landstill. Lose 2-0. Bolts, Spell Snare, Snapcaster, Standstill. All so annoying. I've only beaten this deck as a Deadguy deck once...it was an Aether Vial version.

Round 5. ID.

Round 6. 2-0 vs Esperblade. First Turn Mystic again into Batterskull. He keeps a one lander Brainstorm hand. He casts his Mystic for a Jitte but I therapy it away...seeing 2 more mystic. LOL, yeah those guys didn't stay in his land for very long. Game 2. He's mana screwed again and Hero of Bladehold and a few Lingering Soul tokens end the game.

Round 7. UR Landstill.....again. 0-2. Boo-urns.

-Still love the Chrome Mox (i play 2). Being able to Hymn, cast Bob or Mystic etc. is really good.
    -I probably play too much GY hate but it got the job done vs Tin Fins.
    -Don't really have anything for Nic Fit or UR landstill but luckily those aren't played by too many people.
    -Experimented with a singleton Enlightened Tutor...didn't see it although it was only sided in against Tin Fins.
    -Even though I didn't get to Kill an Emrakul with him, Shriekmaw was pretty good. People give me strange looks when they see that card and wonder why I don't play Terror/Go for the Throat etc.. Well...
    -Early game it's a Sorcery Terror. Helps the mana curve for that IMO as after Swords to Plowshares my next removal cards cost 3 (Vindicate and Liliana of the Veil)
    -Late game it's a 2 for 1 187 creature that has evasion.
    -I have lived the dream vs Sneak/show and got to kill Emrakul when they Show and Tell.
    -I still play 4 Vindicate. It was alright blowing up Grove of the Burnwillows and some Merfolk and mana screwing Tin Fins in games 2 and 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    Went 4-2-1 at the Toronto PTQ legacy side event (the standard ptq had 367 players.) wow. Legacy had 27 or so. lol.
    This got me confused little bit. 27 players but 7 rounds? Then I realized by round 6 you mean top 8 and round 7 top 4.

Round 1. Tin Fins. 2-1. I see Underground sea and Ponder.....so I think Storm? So I cast Hymn to Tourach on him and he discards Griselbrand. LOL, well it's still technically a Storm deck just not the one I was thinking
    I lol'd.

Games 2 and 3, I side in 11 or 12 cards.
    lol, typical Wilkin

I hate Sneak show....
    Why? what did I ever do to you?! lol

Even though I didn't get to Kill an Emrakul with him, Shriekmaw was pretty good. People give me strange looks when they see that card and wonder why I don't play Terror/Go for the Throat etc
    I'm one of those people.

You need to write a report on your janky 3-combo-in-one deck!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunday Funday View Post
    This got me confused little bit. 27 players but 7 rounds? Then I realized by round 6 you mean top 8 and round 7 top 4.

I lol'd.

lol, typical Wilkin

Why? what did I ever do to you?! lol

I'm one of those people.

You need to write a report on your janky 3-combo-in-one deck!
    Oh the janky combo deck I played at Worlds Collide. It was just 2 combos in one deck, not 3. I did consider having a third combo in the board, but I figured that was too janky even for me. Just went with one-two punch of Painter Grindstone and then Thopter Foundry/Sword of the Meek.

Yeah, Shriekmaw is a fringe card but when it kills an Emrakul it's heaven. :D And yeah it was fun siding in almost my entire sideboard vs Tin Fins. I hate GY shenanigans and I hate Sneak/show so that deck got double the hate.

Sure, I won't only write a report (only played 4 actual matches though) but probably start a new Developmental deck too.

I know a few of you guys have tried Nevermore in the sideboard. How do you guys find it? I'm thinking of using it against Show and Tell decks, well mostly against the Omnitell ones, I have a decent match vs the Sneak show decks. Hoping they print a WW meddling mage at some point.

I tried Nevermore for SnT variants but I found it bad. The true "unfair" situations against SnT are when they are able to bring in down T3. Unless you had the start or played a DRS earlier, itīs the same turn as you could play Nevermore. Too often it happened, that I had Nevermore in my opening hand but was simply a turn to late. I found Ethersworn great against Omniwhatevs decks.

after quite some time i've finally got the cards for this deck put together and am ready to start taking it out to locals for testing

Creatures (18)

4 Deathtrite
    4 thalia
    4 Confidant
    3 Stoneforge
    3 mirran crusader

Spells (16)

4 swords to plowshares
    2 oblivion ring
    3 Inquisition of kozileck
    2 cabal therapy
    2 lingering souls
    3 Liliana of the Veil

Artifacts (4)

1 batterskull
    1 jitte
    2 chrome mox

Lands (22)

4 scrubland
    1 bayou
    4 marsh flats
    3 verdant catacombs
    2 plains
    3 swamp
    4 wasteland
    1 godless shrine

Sideboard

3 pithing needle
    4 rest in peace
    2 surgical extractions
    1 vindicate
    2 zealous persecution
    3 Empty slots

some quick notes, I have oblivion rings maindeck because sneak and show is very prevelant aroud here and i often see it at my local game store, i've found the maindeck oblivion rings to be very useful in the vindicate slot, especially since i've moved thalia to the maindeck when i originally planned on her being in the board. chrome mox to accelerate our 2 drop to turn one is self explanatory. 22 lands seems about right with main deck thalia, i've tried with 21 and 20 lands before and felt myself often relying on confidant to dig for lands. 22 seems t be working fine.

anyway, my questions for the thread is what should i put in the empty three slots in the board, and if anyone can give me some tips on playing against maverick, junk and esper it would be greatly appreciated

Jun 2012
    São Paulo, Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by raikenxy View Post
    after quite some time i've finally got the cards for this deck put together and am ready to start taking it out to locals for testing

Creatures (18)

4 Deathtrite
    4 thalia
    4 Confidant
    3 Stoneforge
    3 mirran crusader

Spells (16)

4 swords to plowshares
    2 oblivion ring
    3 Inquisition of kozileck
    2 cabal therapy
    2 lingering souls
    3 Liliana of the Veil

Artifacts (4)

1 batterskull
    1 jitte
    2 chrome mox

Lands (22)

4 scrubland
    1 bayou
    4 marsh flats
    3 verdant catacombs
    2 plains
    3 swamp
    4 wasteland
    1 godless shrine

Sideboard

3 pithing needle
    4 rest in peace
    2 surgical extractions
    1 vindicate
    2 zealous persecution
    3 Empty slots

some quick notes, I have oblivion rings maindeck because sneak and show is very prevelant aroud here and i often see it at my local game store, i've found the maindeck oblivion rings to be very useful in the vindicate slot, especially since i've moved thalia to the maindeck when i originally planned on her being in the board. chrome mox to accelerate our 2 drop to turn one is self explanatory. 22 lands seems about right with main deck thalia, i've tried with 21 and 20 lands before and felt myself often relying on confidant to dig for lands. 22 seems t be working fine.

anyway, my questions for the thread is what should i put in the empty three slots in the board, and if anyone can give me some tips on playing against maverick, junk and esper it would be greatly appreciated
    Why the miser vindicate on the board? Might as well be another o-ring and maximize your chances against show&tell decks. zealous is a beast against maverick, consider adding another one.
    Junk is a deck that can be built in so many different ways that is hard to give tips, but they usually pack fewer creatures and you can try adding more removal, discarding key cards from their hands that might disrupt your plan, etc
    Esper also has a lot of builds. Esperblade? BWU control? Deathblade? Miracles with B? Each one works differently. Deathblade is like Junk, but with jace. Esperblade usually has lingering souls, but those are usually nullified by your zealous persecutions.

Another thing: imho, chrome mox is not needed with deathrite shaman around. Might try replacing for something like bitterblossom, for example? (they give you an edge against controllish decks).

Quote Originally Posted by Sughayyer View Post
    Why the miser vindicate on the board? Might as well be another o-ring and maximize your chances against show&tell decks. zealous is a beast against maverick, consider adding another one.
    Junk is a deck that can be built in so many different ways that is hard to give tips, but they usually pack fewer creatures and you can try adding more removal, discarding key cards from their hands that might disrupt your plan, etc
    Esper also has a lot of builds. Esperblade? BWU control? Deathblade? Miracles with B? Each one works differently. Deathblade is like Junk, but with jace. Esperblade usually has lingering souls, but those are usually nullified by your zealous persecutions.

Another thing: imho, chrome mox is not needed with deathrite shaman around. Might try replacing for something like bitterblossom, for example? (they give you an edge against controllish decks).
    I actually don't mind having 2 chrome mox in his build. There's no turn 1 Hymn to Tourach but there is turn 1 Thalia. I did that once to a Storm deck....i won that game. lol. And of course, there's also the turn 1 Bob or Mystic.

As for the sideboard....i Dunno. Depends on what your meta is. You did mention Show and Tell. Is it the Sneak attack kind or the Omnitell? As the other poster mentioned, another Oblivion Ring may help. Not only for Emrakul but as a way to get rid of Leyline of Sanctity. Persecution is awesome, I would also suggest Perish. Hurts Maverick and affects Junk.

And I would take out a Plains for a Karakas. It's a miser with no way to tutor for but it's there. I haven't regretted adding a Karakas in the main and one in the board.

As for tips..... against Esperblade...I always name with Therapy stuff that gives CA. Usually I name Snapcaster Mage. Stoneforge Mystic 2nd. Therapy is awesome in this matchup IMO. They don't puke out their hand like say Affinity and when Mystic gets something you have a turn usually to Therapy it away. It's a grindy grindy matchup. I would maybe (sideboard) suggest another Persecution to win the Lingering Soul wars and an Elspeth, Knight-Errant. She's great at killing Jace, the Mind Sculptor.

Thread Information