Page 293 of 319 FirstFirst ... 193243283289290291292293294295296297303 ... LastLast
Results 5,841 to 5,860 of 6380

Thread: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Quote Originally Posted by THElogic View Post
    I was browsing new cards tonight and I saw one that caught my eye...Paladin of Attonement. A 2 CMC 1/1 that grows when we lose life. With cards like Thoughtseize and Dark Confidant as our core, is it worth looking at? Even more so if you plan on playing Bitterblossom. I know it’s tough to slot any more cards into the 2 hole for us, but I think this could be a cool card. Especially if it dies and we’re at a low life total, we can gain some of it back. I know a lot of you won’t put it in the deck but Am I crazy for thinking this could be a good card for us?

(Edit) Also, how about Sphinx’s Decree as a sideboard card against something like Storm? I know there are better options but unfair decks seem to have the advantage against us. Could this help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paladin isn't that good. It grows pretty slowly and if lifegain is an issue you'd be better off playing more Batterskulls or Jittes. And what would you even cut for the Paladin?

As far as Sphinx Decree....wouldn't Silence or Orim's Chant be plain better than that? I find some unfair decks are bad, some aren't bad at all (and the meta seems to be very fair now anyway). And if I wanted to shore that matchup I'd have in board...
    1. More discard
    2. Or more hate bears
    3. Other hate pieces such as Leyline of Sanctity and/or Void.

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

My deck is in MTGTOP8:

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=18315&d=313646&f=LE

I really like my list right now.
    Deadguy ale Primer: http://articles.mtgcardmarket.com/br...n-deadguy-ale/ (Jeff did it before me)

Aug 2016
    Flanders

Even Tidehollow Sculler? That's the main card I'm unsure about from that list. I guess it has some advantages over more Hymns though in later game as a better topdeck?

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

Quote Originally Posted by Fjaulnir View Post
    Even Tidehollow Sculler? That's the main card I'm unsure about from that list. I guess it has some advantages over more Hymns though in later game as a better topdeck?
    Tidehollow Sculler is reallly good. I have play it with since I started play the deck and never looked back.

As you say, Hymn is great in the first 1-3 rounds to destory the oppments hand but you don't win. You still need other cards as wincon.

Tidehollow is a discard spell and "wincon". I am more happy to see it later game as a top deck. It is great against combo and EXILE the card from them.

TL'DR I love Tidehollow Sculler in the deck
    Deadguy ale Primer: http://articles.mtgcardmarket.com/br...n-deadguy-ale/ (Jeff did it before me)

Apr 2017
    Texas

Mr. Sculler 100% has a home in Deadguy!

I always miss the gang when I take 'em out. They are not a make/break point to our deck but, I feel, Sculler is definitely in-line with everything we want to be doing all spat every step of the way.
    Dead Guy Ale // Burn
    Delver/Pyro // Turbo Fish!

Hey Guys, I'm looking into picking up DGA soon, though looking around I see a few different decklists. Some with Mox, some with out, some with a heavy creature package, some with just Bob, SFM, and DRS. Looking for a "stock list" seems to be futile.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by ThisIsNilla View Post
    Hey Guys, I'm looking into picking up DGA soon, though looking around I see a few different decklists. Some with Mox, some with out, some with a heavy creature package, some with just Bob, SFM, and DRS. Looking for a "stock list" seems to be futile.
    I don't think that there has ever been a "stock" version of the deck. A lot of the benefit of playing this style of deck is that you can tailor it around your playstyles. For my 2 cents, I really like chrome mox as the tempo boosts it gives in certain matchups are really helpful. I don't like playing additional creatures minus DRS, Confidant, SFM and in my case Jailer and Hero (this card is a fantastic finisher). I think that sculler and similar effects are really vulnerable in fair metagames and just don't do enough in the unfair ones.

I'd recommend my list but i'm very heavily biased.

In general i'd say that the core of the deck is pretty much:

4 DRS
    4 Dark Confidant
    # SFM
    # Lingering Souls

# Thoughtseize/Inquistion
    # Hymn to Tourach

# Vindicate/Decay

22-23 lands
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

I have been looking at this archetype for a couple of months and I am curious, why Mox Opal?
    Why playing Mox opal, is it better than Lotus petal/dark ritual?

Quote Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
    I have been looking at this archetype for a couple of months and I am curious, why Mox Opal?
    Why playing Mox opal, is it better than Lotus petal/dark ritual?
    Wrong mox. Some of us play Chrome Mox.

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    Wrong mox. Some of us play Chrome Mox.

Hahahah, yeah, wrong Mox. I was thinking about Chrome Mox and just typed Mox Opal
    I still do not understand the superiority of Chrome mox.

Quote Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
    Hahahah, yeah, wrong Mox. I was thinking about Chrome Mox and just typed Mox Opal
    I still do not understand the superiority of Chrome mox.
    It allows turn 1 plays like a Dark Confidant, Hymn To Tourach or Stoneforge Mystic. And turn 2 into Liliana.

On occasion i've also wasted my opponent's only land and played a mox into a Deathrite Shaman. Having Chrome Mox allows for more busted plays and action turn 1.

Some people don't use Chrome Mox. Like Jeff Hoogland. And he still does fine with the deck. In fact, his version doesn't even run Deathrite Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I don't think that there has ever been a "stock" version of the deck. A lot of the benefit of playing this style of deck is that you can tailor it around your playstyles. For my 2 cents, I really like chrome mox as the tempo boosts it gives in certain matchups are really helpful. I don't like playing additional creatures minus DRS, Confidant, SFM and in my case Jailer and Hero (this card is a fantastic finisher). I think that sculler and similar effects are really vulnerable in fair metagames and just don't do enough in the unfair ones.

I'd recommend my list but i'm very heavily biased.

In general i'd say that the core of the deck is pretty much:

4 DRS
    4 Dark Confidant
    # SFM
    # Lingering Souls

# Thoughtseize/Inquistion
    # Hymn to Tourach

# Vindicate/Decay

22-23 lands

So Ive been trying out your list on MTGO, and I was wondering if there is any way to fit some more storm hate in the deck. I got ranched a few times vs storm and high tide because I didnt have enough early interaction (Ive only played about 20 matches with it now so maybe I'm not getting something). The fair matchups so far have been gas, so have the graveyard based matchups. Do you possibly have a quick and dirty sideboard guide you could whip up?

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Try Canonist or Thalia over Teeg/ Containment priest in the board. They attack those two specific decks game plan a bit better. Teeg really only stops the actual win condition and priest has no text against those decks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

So Ive been trying out your list on MTGO, and I was wondering if there is any way to fit some more storm hate in the deck. I got ranched a few times vs storm and high tide because I didnt have enough early interaction (Ive only played about 20 matches with it now so maybe I'm not getting something). The fair matchups so far have been gas, so have the graveyard based matchups. Do you possibly have a quick and dirty sideboard guide you could whip up?
    Yeah you could definitely increase the amount of hate. I'm not a big fan of Thalia, we're so dependent on casting our spells in that kind of matchup that she hurts us sometimes more than she hurts the opponent. I think that canonist, thalia, kambal and even the 3 mana gideon are good if you want some additional hate in the board for that matchup, or if you wanted to you could have kambal/gideon/thalia main.

I actually am really bad about sideboarding and play everything basically by ear. If there are any matchups you'd like to know about, let me know.
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

I might do canonist over Teeg, since Containment priest is really good vs GSZ, Dredge, Reanimator, and SnS decks. Teeg is good vs moon stompy decks, but those have kinda gone to the wayside recently and he is also much harder to cast on T2 than Canonist.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    Yeah you could definitely increase the amount of hate. I'm not a big fan of Thalia, we're so dependent on casting our spells in that kind of matchup that she hurts us sometimes more than she hurts the opponent. I think that canonist, thalia, kambal and even the 3 mana gideon are good if you want some additional hate in the board for that matchup, or if you wanted to you could have kambal/gideon/thalia main.

I actually am really bad about sideboarding and play everything basically by ear. If there are any matchups you'd like to know about, let me know.
    I was also wondering about Toxic Deluge over Zealous, since sometimes I feel like I need to get rid of multiple X/2s. So far though I really like the deck, it is much more my speed than the previous legacy decks I have played (Maverick, UR Delver, Nyx Fit, Elves). Also a Gideon of the Trials sounds spicy, I might do a 2 Cannonist, 1 Gideon, I prelate split for those matchups.

Hello All:

Once a string of medium to large tournaments passes by I'm going to be brewing up a deck that mostly closely resembles Deadguy Ale and, if anyone is interested, I'd like to share some of my thoughts here.

BW Aggro Tokens:
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Bitterblossom
    4 Lingering Souls
    1 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
    1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    =13

4 Thoughtseize
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    2 Cabal Therapy
    2 Collective Brutality
    =11

4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Fatal Push
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Vindicate/Maelstrom Pulse
    3 Altar's Reap / Skeletal Scrying / Dark Confidant
    =13

4 Wasteland
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Marsh Flats
    3 Scrubland
    3 Bayou
    1 Savannah
    1 Karakas
    1 Swamp
    1 Forest
    1 Plains
    =23

sb:
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Zealous Persecution
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Disenchant
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Null Rod
    1 Crucible of Worls
    1 Humility
    1 Chains of Mephistopheles

Maybe Pool:
    Dust Bowl
    Umezawa's Jitte
    Blessed Alliance

So, my thinking is that with New Miracles and several Grixis type decks on the rise, a deck like the list above could be very strong. First, I've found that Bitterblossom is consistently problematic in nearly any meta, save for super spell-combo heavy. I also find that Lingering Souls creates a lot of problems for most fair decks. When I ran an Esper planeswalker control list similar to this years back, I found that I was often turning the corner and closing out games very quickly with tokens and Sorin emblems, I'd like to emphasize that with Gideon and sideboard Zealous Persecution. I also like the very heavy discard suite. When I run Turbo Depths, I find that the 4 Duress, 4 Thoughtseize package can really tear your opponent apart, especially post-mull from your opponent.
    The weakness of any non blue deck is card selection/filtering, and sometimes lack of card advantage. My options are Altar's Reap/Skeletal Scrying and Dark Confidant. I'm partial to Instant speed options of Altar's Reap and Skeletal Scrying, because it offers us more lines to resolving our draws. Skeletal Scrying can also be used in response to Deathrite Shaman or Surgical targets, which is useful. I used Skeletal Scrying in BW Pox as a topdeck war trump card, and it has been useful. Dark Confidant has the upside of being a creature because it can attack, and it can also draw more cards than the other two options. It has the normal downside of being killable and the lifeloss becoming an issue.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

I was also wondering about Toxic Deluge over Zealous, since sometimes I feel like I need to get rid of multiple X/2s. So far though I really like the deck, it is much more my speed than the previous legacy decks I have played (Maverick, UR Delver, Nyx Fit, Elves). Also a Gideon of the Trials sounds spicy, I might do a 2 Cannonist, 1 Gideon, I prelate split for those matchups.
    I actually ended up cutting my deluge, it was really clunky are 3 cmc and a lot of the times where I needed it I didn't really have the life total to support it. You get these random hail mary plays where it feels super good but past that it wasn't that good, atleast for me.

Good day.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Deluge is amazing with Tarmogoyf, or if you have a Batterskull active, but otherwise is a bit too fair.

Do any Deadguy players feel that sometimes it takes a little too long to close games? I feel that Deadguy is better at grinding than Junk but is a tad slower, obviously because you aren't playing Tarmogoyfs. I'm also curious what the correct number of Abrupt Decay you guys feel there is. I currently have 3 main, but I have a slew of Chalice and Delver decks in my metagame, and Decay really boosts those matchups.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Deluge is amazing with Tarmogoyf, or if you have a Batterskull active, but otherwise is a bit too fair.

Do any Deadguy players feel that sometimes it takes a little too long to close games? I feel that Deadguy is better at grinding than Junk but is a tad slower, obviously because you aren't playing Tarmogoyfs. I'm also curious what the correct number of Abrupt Decay you guys feel there is. I currently have 3 main, but I have a slew of Chalice and Delver decks in my metagame, and Decay really boosts those matchups.
    I feel for the most part if I have the game under control it's usually pretty arbitrary what I win with. I've had a few instances where my opponent has slowly started to creep back into the game which is why i've readded Hero, who usually just ends the game a turn or 2 after she lands. I don't really think there is a reason to even run decay anymore if your area isn't full of all miracles players, it's a vindicate that just gums up your manabase. I only run 2 (1 in the side, 1 in the main) because of the number of miracles players there are on MTGO.

Good day.

Thread Information