Page 303 of 319 FirstFirst ... 203253293299300301302303304305306307313 ... LastLast
Results 6,041 to 6,060 of 6380

Thread: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    Finally got to play Alms Collector as I had hoped.

Against Blue White Miracles. Empty board, my opponent has 5 mana, taps 4 leaving an Island open and slams Jace, the Mind Sculptor. No plow. Oh yeah. 0- Brainstorm. I slam Collector. Meow. He draws one and puts 2 back. I draw one.....and then kill jace on my turn. He doesn't draw removal for the Cat Cleric and dies to that and Thalia, Guardian of Thraben.

Against Grixis Control, I get a Brainstorm with Collector. Lol, he later tells me he drew a Brainstorm with Brainstorm. So he puts back that Brainstorm and a land to shuffle away. He didn't draw removal for the Cleric either and dies to it too.

Sure, Alms Collector is no Notion Thief but Collector is in my colors and is probably more tilting for them to lose to that card. Plus, being a 3/4 means Snapcaster and Clique can't kill it in single combat. I was on the fence about the Collector until last weekend.
    Alms Collector sounds sweet. How does your deck look now?
    Deadguy ale Primer: http://articles.mtgcardmarket.com/br...n-deadguy-ale/ (Jeff did it before me)

Maindeck is the same.

Board has been the same for the last little while.
    Toxic Deluge
    Engineered Explosives
    zealous persecution
    path to exile
    liliana, the last hope
    Gideon, ally of zendikar
    Leyline of sanctity
    leyline of the void
    surgical extraction
    faerie macabre
    humility
    thalia, guardian of thraben
    kambal, consul of allocation
    tsabo's web
    Alms Collector

Has anyone seen this ewlandon league playlist? It's more of a Death & Taxes list with a black splash and the Dark Depths combo, but I got some Deadguy Ale vibes from it with the Confidants and the Vindicates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApvS...JA_VG4L7NudsUV

I had played some test games out with it and really liked it.
    I'm completely new to the deck and wondering what people think about it, especially if there was more Deadguy Ale stuff to go along with it.

Also, I've tried looking for videos of league gameplay (or gameplay in general) of this deck and haven't found anything. I've read through the last few pages (post Deathrite Ban) and it's been helpful, I was wondering if there any other go-to resources for this deck? Even the post in the OP has a link that doesn't go anywhere.

Hello everyone,

I played at some big event again (49 players) last weekend with my deadguy ale version.
    I didn't change a lot, but I gave a chance to the freebooters this time.

Here's the "updated" list:

Mainboard

Land
    6x Swamp
    2x Plains
    4x Wasteland
    4x Scrubland
    3x Marsh Flats
    1x Polluted Delta
    1x Karakas
    1x Flooded Strand
    1x Shambling Vent

Planeswalker
    1x Gideon of the Trials
    4x Liliana of the Veil

Instant
    4x Swords to Plowshares

Artifact
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice
    1x Batterskull

Creature
    2x Remorseful Cleric
    2x Kitesail Freebooter
    3x Stoneforge Mystic
    4x Dark Confidant

Sorcery
    3x Thoughtseize
    2x Sinkhole
    3x Hymn to Tourach
    3x Lingering Souls
    3x Vindicate

Sideboard
    2x Toxic Deluge
    2x Dread of Night
    1x Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    1x Zealous Persecution
    1x Liliana, the Last Hope
    1x Ensnaring Bridge
    3x Surgical Extraction
    1x Kaya, Ghost Assassin
    1x Humility
    1x Rest in Peace
    1x Engineered Plague

Tourney mini report
    The tourney had 6 rounds with a cut for top 8. This time I finished in 2nd with a 4-0-2 record.

Round 1 - Lands
    - Game 1: I got steamrolled. Cleric could have helped, but he didn't show up. 0-1
    Sideboard:
    Out (7): 3 Thoughtseize; 2 Sinkhole; 2 Liliana of the Veil.
    In (7): 3 Surgical Extraction; 1 Rest in Peace; 1 Humility; 1 Ensnaring Bridge; 1 Kaya, Ghost Assassin.
    - Game 2: An early surgical into Life from the Loam managed to keep things fair. Dark Confidant beats closed the game. 1-1
    - Game 3: Extra grindy game that went to time. Kaya showed up to keep Marit Lage on check and the Cleric nuked his graveyard. Unfortunately we could not finish the game on time. 1-1

Score: 0-0-1

Round 2 - Death & Taxes
    - Game 1: He managed to hit with Jitte first, so yeah... 0-1
    Sideboard:
    Out (8): 3 Thoughtseize; 2 Sinkhole; 2 Remorseful Cleric; 1 Lingering Souls
    In (8): 2 Dread of Night; 1 Zealous Persecution; 2 Toxic Deluge; 1 Engineered Plague; 1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar; 1 Liliana, the Last Hope.
    - Game 2: Grindy game, but sword of fire and ice put me way ahead. 1-1
    - Game 3: Another grindy game where my sideboard decided to show up. I kept his board under control with Dread of Night, Engineered Plague and Toxic Deluge. The game went to turns, but I closed with a Batterskull equipped with a Jitte. 2-1

Score: 1-0-1

Round 3 - UR Delver
    - Game 1: An early freeboter, thoughtseize controlled her hand and a sword to plowshares kept the board under control. Dark Confidant carried a Jitte to close the game. 1-0
    Sideboard:
    Out (5): 3 Thoughtseize; 2 Sinkhole.
    In (5): 2 Toxic Deluge; 1 Liliana, Last Hope; 1 Kaya, Ghost Assassin; 1 Engineered Plague.
    - Game 2: She lost a few land drops while Dark Confidant kept hitting. Lingering Souls tokens closed the game. 2-0

Score: 2-0-1

Round 4 - UW Miracles
    - Game 1: Lots of disruption in the early game. My opponent was going to lock the game, but I managed to blow his Plains and his Tundra in a single turn, he scooped after that. 1-0
    Sideboard:
    Out (4): 4 Swords to Plowshares.
    In (4): 1 Dread of Night; 1 Liliana, Last Hope; 1 Kaya, Ghost Assassin; 1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar.
    - Game 2: Another game full of disruption. My opponent was going to take over the game again, but a topdecked Hymn took care of his last cards, he scooped again. 2-0

Score: 3-0-1

Round 5 - 4c Loam
    - Game 1: I grabbed a punishing fire with Freebooter on turn two. The same freeboter got a sword and kept attacking over the air until the game was over. 1-0
    Sideboard:
    Out (8): 3 Thoughtseize; 2 Sinkhole; 3 Swords to Plowshares.
    In (8): 3 Surgical Extraction; 1 Rest in Peace; 1 Liliana, Last Hope; 1 Kaya, Ghost Assassin; 1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar.
    - Game 2: Grindy game but his Chalice for 1 kept my surgicals in check. He got his fire engine going and I could not come back. 1-1
    Sideboard:
    Out (1): 1 Sword to Plowshares
    In (1): 1 Thoughtseize
    - Game 3: I managed to surgical his Grooves to shut down his Punishing Fires. He found a Life from the Loam which gave him a lot of resources. The game went to turns but I managed to close the game with spirit tokens. 2-1

Score: 4-0-1

Round 6 - Miracles
    Intentional Draw to take a break before the top 8. 1-1

Score: 4-0-2

Top 8

Round 1 - Eldrazi Aggro
    - Game 1: Early game disruption and a some land destruction managed to slow my opponent down. Liliana took care of a bunch of things and I closed the game with freebooter equipped with a Jitte. 1-0
    Sideboard:
    Out (4): 2 Thoughtseize; 2 Remorseful Cleric.
    In (4): 2 Toxic Deluge; 1 Humility; 1 Ensnaring Bridge.
    - Game 2: I managed to destroy every single land my opponent played. Dark Confidant provided additional wastelands and sinkholes and closed the game when I found a Jitte. 2-0

Round 2 - Mono red prison
    - Game 1: Lots of disruption from both sides. He landed a chalice for one and I nuked his hand and landed a Liliana. He the landed another chalice, for two, then a Chandra and the a Goblin Rabblemaster. No way to clean his board with my maindeck. 0-1
    Sideboard:
    Out (5): 2 Remorseful Cleric; 2 Swords to Plowshares; 1 Gideon of the Trials.
    In (5): 2 Toxic Deluge; 1 Liliana, Last Hope; 1 Kaya, Ghost Assassin; 1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar.
    - Game 2: I had a nice hand with land and hand disruption. He had chandra on turn 1 which I never found and answer for. 0-2

Closing Thoughts

- Kitesail Freebooter: I liked him, sometimes he misses but even then the information he provides is always useful. He's also a win condition if he gets any equipment on. I'm keeping mine for now.

- Sinkhole: Sometimes game winning, sometimes discard fodder. This slot could become more low cost removal, like fatal push o collective brutalities or some fun stuff like bitterblossom. I still like additional land hate, so I'm keeping mine for now.

- Finisher: In some games I felt the lack of a finisher, something that can close the game quickly. Mirran Crusader seems like a good option, but I'm not sure if we really need this.

If you guys have any doubts or suggestions, please let me know :)

Thanks for reading!

Quote Originally Posted by itsvan View Post
    Hello everyone,

I played at some big event again (49 players) last weekend with my deadguy ale version.

Mainboard

Land
    6x Swamp
    2x Plains
    4x Wasteland
    4x Scrubland
    3x Marsh Flats
    1x Polluted Delta
    1x Karakas
    1x Flooded Strand
    1x Shambling Vent

Planeswalker
    1x Gideon of the Trials
    4x Liliana of the Veil

Instant
    4x Swords to Plowshares

Artifact
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice
    1x Batterskull

Creature
    2x Remorseful Cleric
    2x Kitesail Freebooter
    3x Stoneforge Mystic
    4x Dark Confidant

Sorcery
    3x Thoughtseize
    2x Sinkhole
    3x Hymn to Tourach
    3x Lingering Souls
    3x Vindicate

Sideboard
    2x Toxic Deluge
    2x Dread of Night
    1x Zealous Persecution
    1x Ensnaring Bridge
    3x Surgical Extraction
    1x Kaya, Ghost Assassin
    1x Humility
    1x Rest in Peace
    1x Engineered Plague

Tourney mini report
    The tourney had 6 rounds with a cut for top 8. This time I finished in 2nd with a 4-0-2 record.

Round 1 - Lands
    - Game 1: I got steamrolled. Cleric could have helped, but he didn't show up. 0-1
    Sideboard:
    In (7): 3 Surgical Extraction; 1 Rest in Peace; 1 Humility; 1 Ensnaring Bridge; 1 Kaya, Ghost Assassin.
    - Game 2: An early surgical into Life from the Loam managed to keep things fair. Dark Confidant beats closed the game. 1-1
    - Game 3: Extra grindy game that went to time. Kaya showed up to keep Marit Lage on check and the Cleric nuked his graveyard. Unfortunately we could not finish the game on time. 1-1

Round 2 - Death & Taxes
    Sideboard:
    In (8): 2 Dread of Night; 1 Zealous Persecution; 2 Toxic Deluge; 1 Engineered Plague; 1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar; 1 Liliana, the Last Hope.
    - Game 3: Another grindy game where my sideboard decided to show up. I kept his board under control with Dread of Night, Engineered Plague and Toxic Deluge. The game went to turns, but I closed with a Batterskull equipped with a Jitte. 2-1

Round 3 - UR Delver
    - Game 1: An early freeboter, thoughtseize controlled her hand and a sword to plowshares kept the board under control. Dark Confidant carried a Jitte to close the game. 1-0
    Sideboard:
    In (5): 2 Toxic Deluge; 1 Liliana, Last Hope; 1 Kaya, Ghost Assassin; 1 Engineered Plague.
    - Game 2: She lost a few land drops while Dark Confidant kept hitting. Lingering Souls tokens closed the game. 2-0

Round 4 - UW Miracles
    - Game 1: Lots of disruption in the early game. My opponent was going to lock the game, but I managed to blow his Plains and his Tundra in a single turn, he scooped after that. 1-0
    Sideboard:
    In (4): 1 Dread of Night; 1 Liliana, Last Hope; 1 Kaya, Ghost Assassin; 1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar.
    - Game 2: Another game full of disruption. My opponent was going to take over the game again, but a topdecked Hymn took care of his last cards, he scooped again. 2-0

Round 5 - 4c Loam
    - Game 1: I grabbed a punishing fire with Freebooter on turn two. The same freeboter got a sword and kept attacking over the air until the game was over. 1-0
    Sideboard:
    In (8): 3 Surgical Extraction; 1 Rest in Peace; 1 Liliana, Last Hope; 1 Kaya, Ghost Assassin; 1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar.
    - Game 2: Grindy game but his Chalice for 1 kept my surgicals in check. He got his fire engine going and I could not come back. 1-1
    Sideboard:
    - Game 3: I managed to surgical his Grooves to shut down his Punishing Fires. He found a Life from the Loam which gave him a lot of resources. The game went to turns but I managed to close the game with spirit tokens. 2-1

Round 6 - Miracles

Top 8

Round 1 - Eldrazi Aggro
    - Game 1: Early game disruption and a some land destruction managed to slow my opponent down. Liliana took care of a bunch of things and I closed the game with freebooter equipped with a Jitte. 1-0
    Sideboard:
    - Game 2: I managed to destroy every single land my opponent played. Dark Confidant provided additional wastelands and sinkholes and closed the game when I found a Jitte. 2-0

- Game 1: Lots of disruption from both sides. He landed a chalice for one and I nuked his hand and landed a Liliana. He the landed another chalice, for two, then a Chandra and the a Goblin Rabblemaster. No way to clean his board with my maindeck. 0-1
    Sideboard:
    In (5): 2 Toxic Deluge; 1 Liliana, Last Hope; 1 Kaya, Ghost Assassin; 1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar.
    - Game 2: I had a nice hand with land and hand disruption. He had chandra on turn 1 which I never found and answer for. 0-2

Closing Thoughts

- Kitesail Freebooter: I liked him, sometimes he misses but even then the information he provides is always useful. He's also a win condition if he gets any equipment on. I'm keeping mine for now.

- Sinkhole: Sometimes game winning, sometimes discard fodder. This slot could become more low cost removal, like fatal push o collective brutalities or some fun stuff like bitterblossom. I still like additional land hate, so I'm keeping mine for now.

- Finisher: In some games I felt the lack of a finisher, something that can close the game quickly. Mirran Crusader seems like a good option, but I'm not sure if we really need this.

Thanks for reading!
    I'm a fan of the Sinkholes with the top two decks being so ripe for land destruction.

Have you guys considered playing Chalice of the Void? Maybe it barely qualifies as Deadguy anymore but I've been having some success with a Chalice build.

Hello everyone,

Mainboard

Land
    6x Swamp
    2x Plains
    4x Wasteland
    4x Scrubland
    3x Marsh Flats
    1x Polluted Delta
    1x Karakas
    1x Flooded Strand
    1x Shambling Vent

Planeswalker
    1x Gideon of the Trials
    4x Liliana of the Veil

Instant
    4x Swords to Plowshares

Artifact
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice
    1x Batterskull

Creature
    2x Remorseful Cleric
    2x Kitesail Freebooter
    3x Stoneforge Mystic
    4x Dark Confidant

Sorcery
    3x Thoughtseize
    2x Sinkhole
    3x Hymn to Tourach
    3x Lingering Souls
    3x Vindicate

Sideboard
    2x Toxic Deluge
    2x Dread of Night
    1x Zealous Persecution
    1x Ensnaring Bridge
    3x Surgical Extraction
    1x Kaya, Ghost Assassin
    1x Humility
    1x Rest in Peace
    1x Engineered Plague

Tourney mini report

Round 1 - Lands
    Sideboard:

Round 2 - Death & Taxes
    Sideboard:

Round 3 - UR Delver
    Sideboard:

Round 4 - UW Miracles
    Sideboard:

Round 5 - 4c Loam
    Sideboard:
    Sideboard:

Round 6 - Miracles

Top 8

Round 1 - Eldrazi Aggro
    Sideboard:

Sideboard:

Closing Thoughts

Thanks for reading!
    What was the name of the event? Where'd it take place? What top 8'd?

In regards to your list: have you tried out Kambal? You don't want Crusader, but what about Stillmoon Cavalier? Stillmoon dodges Push, STP, Baleful Strix, and most of the things Crusader gets by. Not having double strike is a drawback, but it has more options for evasion.

Hello all:

I'm thinking of going further into the discard plan and emphasizing more actual Card Advantage sources. I have been messing around with Esper Stoneblade, BW Smallpox with Cabal Therapy and Lingering Souls and Deadguy Ale. I think Deadguy could have the leg up in that it's committed to its game plan in a way that esper isn't, and has actual card advantage sources and a stable mana base which Smallpox struggles with.

Here's my current iteration:

4 Dark Confidant
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Palace Jailer
    3 Lingering Souls
    2 Remorseful Cleric
    =16
    3 Liliana of the Veil*
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
    =5

3 Thoughtseize
    2 Cabal Therapy
    1 Inquisition of Kozilek
    3 Hymn To Tourach
    =9

4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Vindicate
    3 Chrome Mox
    =9

Lands:
    4 Marsh Flats
    2 Polluted Delta
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Scrubland
    4 Wasteland
    3 Swamps
    1 Karakas
    1 Plains
    1 Mishra's Factory
    =21

Sb:
    1 Chains of Mephistopheles
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Zealous Persecution
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Disenchant
    1 Kaya, Ghost Assassin
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Leyline of the Void
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Humility
    1 Diabolic Edict

Quote Originally Posted by ClimbGneiss View Post
    Hello all:

I'm thinking of going further into the discard plan and emphasizing more actual Card Advantage sources. I have been messing around with Esper Stoneblade, BW Smallpox with Cabal Therapy and Lingering Souls and Deadguy Ale. I think Deadguy could have the leg up in that it's committed to its game plan in a way that esper isn't, and has actual card advantage sources and a stable mana base which Smallpox struggles with.

Here's my current iteration:

4 Dark Confidant
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Palace Jailer
    3 Lingering Souls
    2 Remorseful Cleric
    =16
    3 Liliana of the Veil*
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
    =5

3 Thoughtseize
    2 Cabal Therapy
    1 Inquisition of Kozilek
    3 Hymn To Tourach
    =9

4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Vindicate
    3 Chrome Mox
    =9

Lands:
    4 Marsh Flats
    2 Polluted Delta
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Scrubland
    4 Wasteland
    3 Swamps
    1 Karakas
    1 Plains
    1 Mishra's Factory
    =21

Sb:
    1 Chains of Mephistopheles
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Zealous Persecution
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Disenchant
    1 Kaya, Ghost Assassin
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Leyline of the Void
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Humility
    1 Diabolic Edict
    Went 3-2 in my first league. Was very pleased with the results. The extra discard into the extra card generating resources felt great.
    Was VERY close to 4-1 but I lost a great match vs Cloudpost where they Needles Wasteland game 3 and I got them hell bent. At 2 Life they drew Crop Rotation for eye, for emrakul with Karakas in play.

I felt like I wanted more needle effects because of Jace and Last Hope. Remorseful Cleric was pretty great. Flying for an evasive attacker, blockers early delvers and delays Gurmag Angler.

I really want to run main deck Kaya over Sorin, and Sorin in the side but my feeling is that a dude generator is a lot more important in most game 1s than Kaya who can't protect herself too well. I used her to protect herself vs Grixis Control and she kept bouncing Strix and Snapcaster mage, which wasn't ideal.

Palace Jailer has been great. I haven't even exiled a creature yet. I've just jammed it into an open board and started drawing cards. I had one game where I had Bob and Jailer and flooding my opponent with resources.

I'm considering cutting the IoK for a 3rd Therapy but that might reduce the value of all of my Therapies.

Report from Eternal Weekend. Didn't do so well. Went 4-1 in my first Eternal trial on Thursday....so close, lost to Merfolk in the finals in 3. In my 2nd trial on Friday, I go 3-2. Ugh. But I did beat Patrick Green in round 1 of that trial (who would go on to win the whole thing). Lol, I won game 2 because he decked himself, drawing too many cards with AK, Jace, Teferi etc.

My last 2nd change was to take out Thalia in the board for a Containment Priest since I saw a ton of Show and tell and reanimator decks at the trials....

Round 1. Bye.

Round 2. Cyrus. ANT Lose 2-0. Cyrus would go onto the finals. Lol, I did get a shout out by him for decks that were "interesting".
    Game 1. He mulls to 5. I have a 2 land hand that includes Liliana of the Veil, Remorseful Cleric and a 1 mana discard spell. The Cleric kept me around since he had 2 past in flames later in hand. I unfortunately don't get the 3rd land for Liliana and lose.
    Game 2. Thalia would have been nice here. Keep an ok hand with bob and some discard but it not enough. He ad Nauseum down to 1 life to win.

Round 3. Lands. Win 2-0
    Game 1. I get lucky. No removal and not much land control. By the time he makes a 20/20, I bounce it with Unexpectedly Absent and beat him down with Bob and Gurmag Angler.
    Game 2. He's on the play and crop rotates a Taiga for an Ancient Tomb for a Chalice on 1. I proceed to Chrome Mox and cast a Bob turn 1, turn 2 Remorseful Cleric. He doesn't draw another colored source of mana.

Round 4. Dragon Stompy. Lose 2-0
    I can't get rid of Ensnaring Bridge in game 1. I get overwhelmed with Rabblemaster in game 2.

Round 5. Lands. Draw
    Game 1. He's able to gamble for punishing fire to kill my spirit token to kill with Marit Lage. I should have sacrificed bob to therapy away the gamble. When he gambled he had only 2 cards but still I should have made him discard gamble....
    Game 2. He meets Tsabo's web i think. lol
    Game 3. I mull to 3. And none of those cards are GY relevant. I'm able to peel remorseful Cleric and karakas......I later cast a Humility. The game for what seems for like an eternity is he draws a card hoping for Krosan grip, doesn't get it and then on my upkeep taps all my lands down. I have a land and Chrome mox hoping for a tsabo's web. I don't get it for a while. So it a crappy draw go scenario for like 6 turns at least. I finallly am able to peel and cast Tsabo's web, stopping the Ports. Neither of us do much for rest of game....

Round 6. Grixis Control. Lose 2-0
    I don't draw my hate cards game 2....and lose.

NOTES:
    -Thalia would have been nice, but only vs Storm.
    -my matches in main event go very poorly. In the trials and Challenge things were much better. I cast a Alms Collector vs a UR delver opponent trying to brainstorm on upkeep to flip a delver. lol. Not only did he brainstorm get nerfed, he didn't flip delver, I drew a card and my liliana at 2 counters doesn't die to Delver. My first trial went very well. Beat Reanimator, Eldrazi Post, BR reanimator and Aggro Loam. Losing to Merfolk in 3 kinda sucks but oh well.
    -I ran into Maharis and CptHaddock at Eternal. It's nice to put a face to the name. Although at first Maharis' first interaction for me....lol wasn't good for me. As I sit down to face another opponent, I introduce myself saying my name. Maharis who's beside me for another match, then blurts out "Wilkin, Dead guy Ale right? ". LOL, I grudgingly say yes.
    -Cyrus sometimes posts on the ANT thread and immediately knew who I was when he Thoughtseized me since he saw a Shriekmaw in my hand.
    -maindeck MVP was Remorseful Cleric. lol. ANT couldn't get me very early in game 1, since only route at the time was Past in flames. And I had 2 lands opponents, so having a flying Tormod's Crypt is nice to have around.

Report from Eternal Weekend. Didn't do so well. Went 4-1 in my first Eternal trial on Thursday....so close, lost to Merfolk in the finals in 3. In my 2nd trial on Friday, I go 3-2. Ugh. But I did beat Patrick Green in round 1 of that trial (who would go on to win the whole thing). Lol, I won game 2 because he decked himself, drawing too many cards with AK, Jace, Teferi etc.

My last 2nd change was to take out Thalia in the board for a Containment Priest since I saw a ton of Show and tell and reanimator decks at the trials....

Round 1. Bye.

Round 2. Cyrus. ANT Lose 2-0. Cyrus would go onto the finals. Lol, I did get a shout out by him for decks that were "interesting".
    Game 1. He mulls to 5. I have a 2 land hand that includes Liliana of the Veil, Remorseful Cleric and a 1 mana discard spell. The Cleric kept me around since he had 2 past in flames later in hand. I unfortunately don't get the 3rd land for Liliana and lose.
    Game 2. Thalia would have been nice here. Keep an ok hand with bob and some discard but it not enough. He ad Nauseum down to 1 life to win.

Round 3. Lands. Win 2-0
    Game 1. I get lucky. No removal and not much land control. By the time he makes a 20/20, I bounce it with Unexpectedly Absent and beat him down with Bob and Gurmag Angler.
    Game 2. He's on the play and crop rotates a Taiga for an Ancient Tomb for a Chalice on 1. I proceed to Chrome Mox and cast a Bob turn 1, turn 2 Remorseful Cleric. He doesn't draw another colored source of mana.

Round 4. Dragon Stompy. Lose 2-0
    I can't get rid of Ensnaring Bridge in game 1. I get overwhelmed with Rabblemaster in game 2.

Round 5. Lands. Draw
    Game 1. He's able to gamble for punishing fire to kill my spirit token to kill with Marit Lage. I should have sacrificed bob to therapy away the gamble. When he gambled he had only 2 cards but still I should have made him discard gamble....
    Game 2. He meets Tsabo's web i think. lol
    Game 3. I mull to 3. And none of those cards are GY relevant. I'm able to peel remorseful Cleric and karakas......I later cast a Humility. The game for what seems for like an eternity is he draws a card hoping for Krosan grip, doesn't get it and then on my upkeep taps all my lands down. I have a land and Chrome mox hoping for a tsabo's web. I don't get it for a while. So it a crappy draw go scenario for like 6 turns at least. I finallly am able to peel and cast Tsabo's web, stopping the Ports. Neither of us do much for rest of game....

Round 6. Grixis Control. Lose 2-0
    I don't draw my hate cards game 2....and lose.

NOTES:
    -Thalia would have been nice, but only vs Storm.
    -my matches in main event go very poorly. In the trials and Challenge things were much better. I cast a Alms Collector vs a UR delver opponent trying to brainstorm on upkeep to flip a delver. lol. Not only did he brainstorm get nerfed, he didn't flip delver, I drew a card and my liliana at 2 counters doesn't die to Delver. My first trial went very well. Beat Reanimator, Eldrazi Post, BR reanimator and Aggro Loam. Losing to Merfolk in 3 kinda sucks but oh well.
    -I ran into Maharis and CptHaddock at Eternal. It's nice to put a face to the name. Although at first Maharis' first interaction for me....lol wasn't good for me. As I sit down to face another opponent, I introduce myself saying my name. Maharis who's beside me for another match, then blurts out "Wilkin, Dead guy Ale right? ". LOL, I grudgingly say yes.
    -Cyrus sometimes posts on the ANT thread and immediately knew who I was when he Thoughtseized me since he saw a Shriekmaw in my hand.
    -maindeck MVP was Remorseful Cleric. lol. ANT couldn't get me very early in game 1, since only route at the time was Past in flames. And I had 2 lands opponents, so having a flying Tormod's Crypt is nice to have around.
    Nice job on the trials. Tough luck on the main event. What are your thoughts on sideboard To The Slaughter? Seems pretty decent for what we are trying to accomplish. Also, regarding Alms Collector, how often are you jamming it to have a body and how often are you sitting on it waiting for a Brainstorm or Jace? If you had access to one, would you run a Chains in your build?

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by ClimbGneiss View Post
    Went 3-2 in my first league. Was very pleased with the results. The extra discard into the extra card generating resources felt great.
    Was VERY close to 4-1 but I lost a great match vs Cloudpost where they Needles Wasteland game 3 and I got them hell bent. At 2 Life they drew Crop Rotation for eye, for emrakul with Karakas in play.

I felt like I wanted more needle effects because of Jace and Last Hope. Remorseful Cleric was pretty great. Flying for an evasive attacker, blockers early delvers and delays Gurmag Angler.

I really want to run main deck Kaya over Sorin, and Sorin in the side but my feeling is that a dude generator is a lot more important in most game 1s than Kaya who can't protect herself too well. I used her to protect herself vs Grixis Control and she kept bouncing Strix and Snapcaster mage, which wasn't ideal.

Palace Jailer has been great. I haven't even exiled a creature yet. I've just jammed it into an open board and started drawing cards. I had one game where I had Bob and Jailer and flooding my opponent with resources.

I'm considering cutting the IoK for a 3rd Therapy but that might reduce the value of all of my Therapies.
    I feel like you could really take advantage of Brutality alongside Therapy, and maybe even Bloodghast.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I feel like you could really take advantage of Brutality alongside Therapy, and maybe even Bloodghast.
    It didn't quite make the cut. Not sure where I would fit it in. It was one my last cuts.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I would have gone -1 Chrome Mox, -1 Liliana of the Veil, +2 Collective Brutality. It clogs you up a little at the 2 slot, which is something I've always struggled with.

Just for reference, this is my rough list that I incorporated CB/Bloodghast:

3x Mother of Runes
    4x Dark Confidant
    3x Stoneforge Mystic
    3x Bloodghast

4x Swords to Plowshares
    3x Thoughtseize
    3x Cabal Therapy
    4x Lingering Souls
    2x Liliana of the Veil
    1x Umezawa’s Jitte
    1x Batterskull
    1x Vindicate
    3x Hymn to Tourach
    2x Collective Brutality
    1x Hidden Stockpile

4x Marsh Flats
    2x Verdant Catacombs
    2x Windswepth Heath
    2x Scrubland
    3x Swamp
    2x Plains
    4x Wasteland
    1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1x Shambling Vent

I was also trying out Hidden Stockpile, which is kind of a janky card but does some great stuff with Bloodghast/Therapy/fetchlands. Mother was there to protect SFM/Confidants, lower the curve, and be sacrificial fodder for Therapy against combo decks.

EDIT: I had a Karakas in the maindeck too, but I can't remember which land I cut to make room. I think it was a basic Swamp.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

I do have a Chains. I ran it before. Didn't like it, if only it had flash. lol.

I sometimes have run Alms Collector in hand waiting. Can't wait too long though. I've gotten people 3 times with it so far. Vs Miracles (jace), vs Grixis (Brainstorm) and vs UR Delver (Brainstorm, i know should be bad here as they have no Jace). Every time it won the game. I cast it vs BR Reanimator but only as a flash creature in response to discard.

To the Slaughter is a bit expensive for what it does. IMO.

Bloodghast is kinda meh. I already have Lingering Souls as a way to use Therapy and/or Collective Brutality.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Bloodghast is kinda meh. I already have Lingering Souls as a way to use Therapy and/or Collective Brutality.
    It was just a test, and 3 is likely too many. I might go -1 Bloodghast and get the 4th SFM into the deck. I was also using Bloodghast as a recurring sacrifice outlet to Hidden Stockpile.
    Brainstorm Realist

Quote Originally Posted by NeckBird View Post
    What was the name of the event? Where'd it take place? What top 8'd?

In regards to your list: have you tried out Kambal? You don't want Crusader, but what about Stillmoon Cavalier? Stillmoon dodges Push, STP, Baleful Strix, and most of the things Crusader gets by. Not having double strike is a drawback, but it has more options for evasion.
    Hello NeckBird, sorry for taking so long to answer.

This was a Brazilian event, called Liga Paulista, that happened in São Paulo. It works as an league, you play a series of events and the eight best players in the ranking get to play in a final tournament. You can also get a spot in the finals if you manage to win one of these events. I said it was a big event mainly because I don't see this very often here.

Regarding the list, I have not tried Kambal, but I liked the Stillmoon Cavalier suggestion a lot. If I manage find a spot in the deck, he's the next one being tested. There's a "Last Chance" kind of event for this league in this weekend, so who knows.

Stillmoon Cavalier? Lol, when I had more Deadguy imitators in my local meta I did think about it.

I used to play 4 Stoneforge Mystics and found that 3 equipment is too little for that many mystics. Had situations where I would cast Mystic and have nothing to search for. Which obviously sucks.

Kambal is a card I sometimes have in board. It pretty decent.

Hello NeckBird, sorry for taking so long to answer.

This was a Brazilian event, called Liga Paulista, that happened in São Paulo. It works as an league, you play a series of events and the eight best players in the ranking get to play in a final tournament. You can also get a spot in the finals if you manage to win one of these events. I said it was a big event mainly because I don't see this very often here.

Regarding the list, I have not tried Kambal, but I liked the Stillmoon Cavalier suggestion a lot. If I manage find a spot in the deck, he's the next one being tested. There's a "Last Chance" kind of event for this league in this weekend, so who knows.
    Yeah, only reason I brought up Stillmoon is cause pro white dodges a lot more removal and creatures than pro green does nowadays. If you aren't playing Mother of Runes in Deadguy, it seems better to me. Being a mana dump helps as well. Miracles must have Council's Judgment, Jace bounce, or Terminus to answer it.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Great to finally meet you Wilkin. I manage to make at least one embarrassing faux pas in every big tournament I attend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information