Page 299 of 319 FirstFirst ... 199249289295296297298299300301302303309 ... LastLast
Results 5,961 to 5,980 of 6380

Thread: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Quote Originally Posted by Leonides View Post
    Mirran crusader in desdguy ale is awsome i have never stoped playong 1 or 2 or split mirran amd tombstalker.
    famililar should be good against combos but i dont see that is somthing that can help a lot. I am a big fan of mother of runes in main couse of its versatility and consistency.
    Crusader is great, just wanted to test drive brightling but for 1ww, crusader is confirmed superior. Im always reluctant to run tombstalker because of bob. Rune mom is obviously great, but i want another 1 drop utility creature to go with it. Familiar is good against cards like stifle and daze early game and is good vs combo. I like it better than wayfarer or deadeye tracker, but it obviously isnt as powerful as deathrite, so im trying to figure out if adding more control or more aggro is the way to go.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Notion Thief View Post
    Crusader is great, just wanted to test drive brightling but for 1ww, crusader is confirmed superior. Im always reluctant to run tombstalker because of bob. Rune mom is obviously great, but i want another 1 drop utility creature to go with it. Familiar is good against cards like stifle and daze early game and is good vs combo. I like it better than wayfarer or deadeye tracker, but it obviously isnt as powerful as deathrite, so im trying to figure out if adding more control or more aggro is the way to go.
    Any thoughts on 1 Mana Creature Gideon (Kytheon or something?)? With souls it's possible to trigger his flip. Might not be worth it since its just Savannah lions most of the time. I think Familiar is cool to drop on turn one to force through a Bob or stone forge on turn 2. It's like another proactive way on turn 1 to make a powerful 2 drop resolve
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Any thoughts on 1 Mana Creature Gideon (Kytheon or something?)? With souls it's possible to trigger his flip. Might not be worth it since its just Savannah lions most of the time. I think Familiar is cool to drop on turn one to force through a Bob or stone forge on turn 2. It's like another proactive way on turn 1 to make a powerful 2 drop resolve
    I think this hits on a good point, that familiar is stronger on the play than the draw because it helps push through a 2 drop that way.

I think Kid-eon is a Savannah lions too often for my tastes. I wish his indestructible ability was cheaper to activate, although he'd still be susceptible to plow and karakas.

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I have tested with 2 Familiar and 2 Mother of Runes as replacement for Deathrite. Familiar has felt really good. I felt it can more then Mother against Delver because you can use Familiar right away and Delver don't have much mana.

The Familiar prevented the BUG Delver player to Hymn turn 2 and it feel good.
    Deadguy ale Primer: http://articles.mtgcardmarket.com/br...n-deadguy-ale/ (Jeff did it before me)

Played for first time post ban. Went 2-2. Here's the list....
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Shriekmaw
    1 Hero of Bladehold
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Cabal Therapy
    1 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Hymn to Tourach
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    2 Vindicate
    1 Unexpectedly Absent
    4 Swords to PLowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    3 Chrome Mox
    3 Lingering Souls
    4 Scrubland
    3 Swamp
    1 PLains
    1 Karakas
    4 Wasteland
    4 Marsh Flats
    2 Polluted Delta
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Shambling Vent

Side. 1 Kambal, Consul of Allocution. 1 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben. 1 Sanctum Prelate. 1 Faerie Macabre. 1 Surgical Extraction. 1 Leyline of the Void. 1 Leyline of Sanctity. 1 Massacre. 1 Engineered Explosives. 1 Dismember. 1 Toxic Deluge. 1 Pithing Needle. 1 Humility. 1 Zealous Persecution. 1 Liliana, the Last Hope.

Yes, I know. 15 singletons in the board.

Round 1. Miracles. Lose 2-1.
    Plays much like it did when Shaman was around. If Jace sticks I'm screwed. I take out all the Chrome Moxes now, since I run 22 lands now instead of 21.

ROund 2. Esper stoneblade. Win 2-0 or 2-1 can't remember
    Manabase gets awkward. I had a Liliana, the Last hope out. I thoughtseize and see a Detention Sphere and Vindicate in hand. Basic island and wasteland in play. I take the sphere. He plays a swamp. I vindicate it. It buys me enough time to ultimate Liliana. GG.

Round 3. Belcher. Lose 2-1
    Game 1. He on the play. Belched.
    Game 2. I have Pithing Needle and Zealous in hand. He eventually wishes for Shattering Spree to kill the needle but I vindicate his LED leaving him with no cards in hand and 2 chrome moxes in play.
    Game 3. I mull to oblivion. He had the turn 1 Belcher.

Round 4. Lands. Win 2-0
    Game 1. My opener has a Relic and Karakas in hand. lol. He makes a 20/20 on his turn....I play the Karakas GG.
    Game 2. My opener has the Leyline of the Void, Relic and a Karakas in hand.

I may try a Chalice of the Void version of Dead guy. I dunno. Losing Shaman sucks. Crossing fingers they print a fixed version that is black....but I doubt it. Relic main was ok. It was awesome vs lands game 1 and it kept Snapcaster in check vs Miracles.

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

I really like Kambal in the sideboard but I never got the chance to test him.
    Deadguy ale Primer: http://articles.mtgcardmarket.com/br...n-deadguy-ale/ (Jeff did it before me)

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Any thoughts on going back and trying Abyssal Persecutor? Gurmag Angler and other big threats will still exist in the "new" meta, so beating face with a 6/6 might not be the worst option. Just spitballing.

Another mini report at FNM. 3-1. Deck felt much better today. No changes from the last list i wrote.

Round 1. Canadian Threshold. Win 2-1.
    Game 1. Turn 1 Bob gets killed by a bolt. Goose happens.
    Game 2. Turn 1 Bob again. This will be a recurring theme. This Bob lives.
    Game 3. Attrition battle. Hero lands vs a Mongoose. I land a Liliana of the Veil. GG.

Round 2. Humans. Win 2-0
    Game 1. Turn 1 Bob. I out attrition opponent. and waste and kill everything.
    Game 2. I have a EE on 1 and then have turn 2 Liliana of the Veil. Opponent mulled to 5 so then scooped. I also had Last Hope as a follow up.

Round 3. BUG Delver. Lose 2-1
    Game 1. Turn 1 Bob. But I am too mana light and lose.
    Game 2. Turn 1 Bob. This Bob is much kinder and I puke out too many Lingering Souls.
    Game 3. Too many Goyfs. Not enough kill spells for them.

Round 4. Pox. Win 2-1
    Game 1. He has Bridge, crucible and i think cursed scroll. Locked.
    Game 2. I have turn 0 Leyline of the Void. I out attrition opponent.
    Game 3. Thalia annoys opponent long enough for me to win. I have a turn 1 Bob on the draw but I get bob Thoughtseized away.

In 11 games I have 6 Potential Turn 1 Dark Confidants. One was discarded away. One died to bolt right after, but the other 4 lived and drew a bunch of cards.
    -Hero of Bladehold kill count. 1.
    -Turn 0 Leylines. 1. Only had Sanctity and Void out vs Pox. Other decks I didn't board the Leylines in.

Deck felt much better today than Thursday. Of course, getting that many turn 1 Dark Confidants kind of helps. Saw Goblins, Reanimator, Lands, Arena Nic Fit, numerous Canadian Threshold decks, 2 pox decks (meta at local is insane), A humans and Bug Delver. MIght have seen burn too.

Never tried Persecutor. Being able to eat Angler or Goose is appealing but 4 mana creature slot is taken by Hero of Bladehold. Well, for me anyway.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Fair point. I was bored at work and was drafting up the following:

4 Dark Confidant
    3 Tidehollow Sculler
    3 SFM
    2-4 Abyssal Persecutor

2 Chrome Mox
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    2 Liliana Last Hope
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    1 SOFI
    1 Jitte
    1 SoLaS
    3 Lingering Souls
    1 Bitterblossom
    3 STP
    1 Vindicate
    1 Council's Judgment

4 Black Fetchlands
    4 Marsh Flats
    3 Scrubland
    3 Swamp
    1 Plains
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Wasteland
    1 Shambling Vent

//

1 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Batterskull
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Humility
    1 Tsabo's Web
    1 Celestial Purge/Timely Reinforcements

The traditional plan is still there, just subbing in Persecutor as your big beef, and then you have 8 million ways to remove it. Namely, flash back Cabal Therapy seem good.

So, I just came back from a long hiatus to find my beloved Deathrite banned. Seriously thinking about going straight back to the hiatus. Any viable options to console my salty heart? Read the last few pages and I just don´t feel mother of runes. Tested her before Deathrite was a thing.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Valech View Post
    So, I just came back from a long hiatus to find my beloved Deathrite banned. Seriously thinking about going straight back to the hiatus. Any viable options to console my salty heart? Read the last few pages and I just don´t feel mother of runes. Tested her before Deathrite was a thing.
    Just play the deck my dude, it's still good. You no longer have the ability to cast white spells of Swamp, Swamp but that's fine since there are so much viable options for that slot. Mother of Runes isn't good in most DGA lists because there is almost nothing worth protecting, a lot of your cards have the same function. By the time you slam your game ending threat your opponent should be close to being out of resources, or your threat is just hard to interact with e.g. planeswalkers, equipment, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Persecutor list looks fine. I still prefer Hero but I can see the merits of running something else for sure.

Haven't done a ton of testing (going 5-3 in 2 4 round locals). But the deck is still viable. Won't have as many busted starts, although at the same time neither will opponents. It's funny though, the way I built the deck, it actually can win game 1 vs lands because I maindeck 2 relics. In Deathrite era, I very rarely won game 1 vs lands. Usually as a result of unlucky loams or turn 2 Hero. I still say try it out.

Mother isn't as great in Deadguy imo. Dark Confidant and Hero are the only creatures I really want to live and that's only 5 creatures.

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    Persecutor list looks fine. I still prefer Hero but I can see the merits of running something else for sure.

Haven't done a ton of testing (going 5-3 in 2 4 round locals). But the deck is still viable. Won't have as many busted starts, although at the same time neither will opponents. It's funny though, the way I built the deck, it actually can win game 1 vs lands because I maindeck 2 relics. In Deathrite era, I very rarely won game 1 vs lands. Usually as a result of unlucky loams or turn 2 Hero. I still say try it out.

Mother isn't as great in Deadguy imo. Dark Confidant and Hero are the only creatures I really want to live and that's only 5 creatures.
    I agree on about Mother. That's why i have tried out Judge Familiar.

Tested aginast strom in the weekend. It made the strom player to wait another turn to combo off. I could also just counter a cantrip to buy more time.

Judge Familiar is alright right I feel in the deck.

May 2018
    Colorado

I'd been playing DGA off and on prior to the DRS ban and have been trying out some various loam/pox decks as well. I wanted to combine the two, so I started a league yesterday and am currently 3-0 against RUG delver twice and storm once. The deck plays similarly to what I remember DGA playing like. I think smallpox is a really good card currently, especially when you can make it a bit less symmetrical with flagstones. Would be happy to hear what you all think. MD is as follows:

1 Batterskull
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    4 Lingering Souls
    4 Smallpox
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    3 Vindicate

1 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Wasteland
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Swamp
    4 Marsh Flats
    2 Plains
    1 Polluted Delta
    3 Scrubland
    3 Flagstones of Trokair

Yeaux. You have imo too many lands that don't produce black mana. You have at least 10 spells that require BB to cast. Secondly, I would add another equipment to your list. 2 equipment for 4 mystic is not enough in my opinion. I used to run 4 mystics and 3 equipment and had problem of stoneforge getting nothing.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Smallpox seems like such an odd choice for the deck, I can see the synergies with flagstones and lingering souls but really isn't much past that? If you were playing ghasts you could ideally go turn 2 smallpox, discard a ghast, and bring it back with a flagstones trigger. DGA is pretty naturally greedy manawise, so I can't really imagine very many situations where i'm okay sacrificing a land, especially early on where you need some combination of and .
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    Smallpox seems like such an odd choice for the deck, I can see the synergies with flagstones and lingering souls but really isn't much past that? If you were playing ghasts you could ideally go turn 2 smallpox, discard a ghast, and bring it back with a flagstones trigger. DGA is pretty naturally greedy manawise, so I can't really imagine very many situations where i'm okay sacrificing a land, especially early on where you need some combination of and .
    I feel that Collective Brutality would be much better in the Smallpox slots. It's still symmetrical like Smallpox (you have to discard cards to escalate) but you have much more control on how far you imbalance it. You may not want to escalate given the current game state, but Smallpox doesn't give you the choice. I would say with a full set of Souls you could easily break the escalate cost on 3 copies of Brutality. If you had even 1-2 more cards in the deck that synergize with Brutality, such as Cabal Therapy or Bloodghast, then I would say a full set of Brutality would be justified.

Has anyone working on DGA considered Bloodforged Battle-Axe? A deck playing 4x Lingering Souls seems well positioned to make use of an equipment that replicates itself. SoFI is likely just plain better, especially if you only get one hit in. The second hit gets out of control really quickly with Battle-Axe though. Mess with card advantage, or just kill them?

EDIT: Quick, rough list: Deadguy Brutality

4x Mother of Runes
    4x Dark Confidant
    4x Stoneforge Mystic
    3x Bloodghast

3x Swords to Plowshares
    4x Thoughtsieze
    1x Cabal Therapy
    4x Lingering Souls
    2x Liliana of the Veil
    1x Liliana, the Last Hope
    3x Hymn to Tourach
    3x Collective Brutality
    1x Umezawa’s Jitte
    1x Batterskull
    1x Bloodforged Battle-Axe
    1x Vindicate

4x Marsh Flats
    2x Verdant Catacombs
    1x Windswepth Heath
    3x Scrubland
    3x Swamp
    1x Plains
    4x Wasteland
    1x Karakas
    1x Shambling Vent

Sideboard
    2x Surgical Extraction
    2x Nihil Spellbomb
    2x Pithing Needle
    2x Zealous Persecution
    2x Ethersworn Canonist
    2x Containment Priest
    1x Kambal, Consul of Allocation
    2x Toxic Deluge

I like the Therapy synergy enough to potentially change the Thoughtsieze count, but the format is unsettled. Mother of Runes seems out of place a little, but she can make sure that the threats connect, especially in the case of Battle-Axe where doubling it even once seems to really speed up the clock. Bloodghast is there to work with Brutality/Liliana, giving essentially free escalates. Lands are a little light at only 20, but that could be massaged during testing. Honestly, if I had the 4x Marsh Flats I would consider building this. Seems like a fun side project if I get bored with Rhino Fit.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Went 2-3 today. Boo. Beat Turbo Depths and Maverick. Lost to Turbo Depths, Red Stompy and reanimator. Losing Shaman sucks but only really relevant vs reanimator.

Only positive highlight was testing out Kambal, Consul of Allocation. Boarded it in vs Red Stompy and Turbo Depths. Was relevant vs Turbo Depths. Brought me to over 20 life (29 at one point) so I could survive a single Marit Lage hit. Plus him and 2 Lingering Souls did a lot of damage.

So I'll be leaving Kambal in for now.

I had my first week back since the banning today with DGA. The saddest part for me is no longer having the ability to slam a rhino in the main board. The tourney did go well though, I went 3-0-1 and I would have gone 4-0 if I had one more turn in the last round to attack. Here is my current list.

Creatures
    4x Dark Confidant
    4x Stoneforge Mystic
    1x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4x Tidehollow Sculler

Planeswalkers
    1x Gideon of the Trials
    1x Kaya, Ghost Assassin
    3x Liliana of the Veil

Spells
    2x Hymn to Tourach
    2x Inquisition of Kozilek
    2x Lingering Souls
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    4x Thoughtseize
    1x Toxic Deluge
    2x Vindicate
    1x Zealous Persecution

Artifacts
    1x Batterskull
    1x Umezawa's Jitte

Lands
    3x Bloodstained Mire
    1x Karakas
    4x Marsh Flats
    2x Plains
    3x Scrubland
    4x Swamp
    3x Wasteland
    2x Windswept Heath

Sideboard
    2x Containment Priest
    1x Council's Judgment
    2x Ethersworn Canonist
    3x Faerie Macabre
    2x Phyrexian Revoker
    2x Rest in Peace
    1x Spirit of the Labyrinth
    1x Surgical Extraction
    1x Zealous Persecution

Here is a short write-up:

Round 1 -> 2-0 vs Miracles
    Game 1: I was able to deny his mana and keep a clock going pretty consistently and then landed a Kaya
    Game 2: I was able to hymn out a councils judgement and got to have a bob for a couple turns before Lili took over. I had to ult him twice before he finally scooped but it worked.

Round 2 -> 2-1 Lands
    Game 1: I forgot about the tabernacle trigger and then scooped
    Game 2: He kept a slow hand and I was able to run him over
    Game 3: I had a hand with 2 bobs and one was able to survive and draw me a couple mccabes for his loam activations. I let him keep recurring the loams and just kept taking his good lands from the grave.

Round 3 -> 2-0 Turbo Depths
    Game 1: he turn one durressed and needled the two lilis in my hand, but i eventually drew gideon, karakas, and kaya to deal with his token. He actually made the token on his turn 3 and then I was able to flick it with kaya right afterwards.
    Game 2: He was able to make a toekn turn 3 again but I cast both copies of souls and was able to run him over before he drew his protection land.

Round 4 -> 1-1-1 DnT
    Game 1-> I kept a greed hand with only waste and scrub as my lands. He had wastelands. The End
    Game 2 -> I was able to run him over. He got a brightling out but I was able to Gideon it and have containment priest for if he wanted to bounce vial it
    Game 3 -> we both ended up grinding each other to a top deck war, but I had lili and eventually equipped a SFM with Jitte and BS but was one attack short from victory. Problem was neither of us were able to do any damage to each other until a minute before going to turns.

Overall the deck did very well though for a first go around int the new meta.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    Went 2-3 today. Boo. Beat Turbo Depths and Maverick. Lost to Turbo Depths, Red Stompy and reanimator. Losing Shaman sucks but only really relevant vs reanimator.

Only positive highlight was testing out Kambal, Consul of Allocation. Boarded it in vs Red Stompy and Turbo Depths. Was relevant vs Turbo Depths. Brought me to over 20 life (29 at one point) so I could survive a single Marit Lage hit. Plus him and 2 Lingering Souls did a lot of damage.

So I'll be leaving Kambal in for now.
    Kambal is such a great card in this deck but the 3 cmc is so awkward at times. Why couldn't he be :B::W: so people could play him in place of Sculler? He's also fantastic in matchups where your opponent is casting Loam.

Good day.

Thread Information