Page 278 of 320 FirstFirst ... 178228268274275276277278279280281282288 ... LastLast
Results 5,541 to 5,560 of 6383

Thread: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Quote Originally Posted by Tokugawa View Post
    There is too huge raw card-powerlevel gap between SDT and Saying. Such direct replacement would only make a...tier 5 deck.
    Yeah most likely. I will watch Caleb Durward's matches anyway, since he apparently was trying that out.

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    I'm probably going to cut an Abrupt Decay in the sideboard for a Fatal Push. It's not a huge change but I want another 1 mana kill spell for Deathrite Shaman. Not sure what else I'm going to do until I see how things change.
    I don't think that is a bad idea. I run myself two AD in main and 1 in the sideborad.

I don't know if I want to down to one AD for a Fatal Push. Is one AD in main enough?
    Deadguy ale Primer: http://articles.mtgcardmarket.com/br...n-deadguy-ale/ (Jeff did it before me)

I only play one Bayou main, hence only one Abrupt Decay main.

The Decays in the board were mainly for Counterbalance. I would sometimes but them in vs other decks that didn't actively try to destroy my manabase. Like UR Delver. Infect. Burn. Decks like that.

I may take out the other Decay in the board for a Collective Brutality or a Duress. I expect not only more Deathrites, but also more combo and burn. Which Brutality can help out a bit.

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

I only play one Bayou main, hence only one Abrupt Decay main.

The Decays in the board were mainly for Counterbalance. I would sometimes but them in vs other decks that didn't actively try to destroy my manabase. Like UR Delver. Infect. Burn. Decks like that.

I may take out the other Decay in the board for a Collective Brutality or a Duress. I expect not only more Deathrites, but also more combo and burn. Which Brutality can help out a bit.
    I have 2 Bayou and 2 Shvannas to support 3 AD and 2 Grim Flayers.

Jeff Hoogan sharde a deadguy list on twitter: https://twitter.com/jeffhoogland/sta...03324005117956

That deck seems ready for a combo meta. No Deathrite Shamans.
    Deadguy ale Primer: http://articles.mtgcardmarket.com/br...n-deadguy-ale/ (Jeff did it before me)

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Ganfar View Post
    I have 2 Bayou and 2 Shvannas to support 3 AD and 2 Grim Flayers.

Jeff Hoogan sharde a deadguy list on twitter: https://twitter.com/jeffhoogland/sta...03324005117956

That deck seems ready for a combo meta. No Deathrite Shamans.
    Not sure if I agree with his no DRS choice but his list looks solid otherwise. My only question is if the first fatal push is better than just playing path to exile.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    Not sure if I agree with his no DRS choice but his list looks solid otherwise. My only question is if the first fatal push is better than just playing path to exile.
    Me too. I made a comment on that, Deathrite is broken. Fatal Push is the new cool thing I guess.

Jul 2013
    Texas

I can see a rationale for not playing DRS (as good as it is there are other ways to build decks). But I don't think this is the optimal build. I don't think there's enough combo to justify going this hard after it.

I think he should be playing Thoughtseize over IoK so he can hit Force and Jace with it (if you want to power your two-drop through you need to be able to clear Force). And I think he needs a little more late-game power with a big PW or something, like one of the Sorins to soup up the Lingering Souls. Thalia with 9 non-creature 3 drops is a little counter-intuitive as well.

Also yes push is better than path. Never let your opponent untap with a DRS. Path doesn't stop what the worst part is about DRS in the early game, which is the ramp. If you let them get ahead and drop some horror like TNN or Leovold on turn 2 against your tapped Scrubland you are in for a world of hurt.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Also yes push is better than path. Never let your opponent untap with a DRS. Path doesn't stop what the worst part is about DRS in the early game, which is the ramp. If you let them get ahead and drop some horror like TNN or Leovold on turn 2 against your tapped Scrubland you are in for a world of hurt.
    I half agree; more so since you're speaking in non-blue context; where in blue you may get to Daze the nastiness that they actually kept their hand for. In the case of a lot of these decks it's fair to note that they often run a single basic; making running more paths better than a singleton and also opening an ok chance that they'll actually have the basic in hand.

I think Path is better against Delvers and maybe a few other things like Reanimator. I don't have an issue with Push; though hitting Gurmags/Tombstalkers/Griselbrands is helpful. I like that Fatal Push solves the biggest issue I had with running no-white cards in BUG or Grixis, but it's nice that White's removal is still superior coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

I'm not a fan of no Deathrites in Jeff's list. I do like Smuggler's Copter better in this meta with Miracles either gone or reduced by a lot. I also don't like only 2 equipment in the deck. In UW or Deathblade lists, you could brainstorm away the equipment if you had to, in order for Mystic to find it again. In Deadguy you don't have that option. I used to play 4 Stoneforges and 3 equipment but I sometimes had a Mystic that couldn't get anything, which sucked. So I cut down to 3 Mystics and have been happy with that mix.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I personally will not be playing without DRS in a non combo meta because the card is bonkers. As for Hooglands list it seems fine otherwise, and I agree push is the way to go. You have STP for the big dudes, and even Liliana. Very rarely will path be better than a push and when you have that as your removal spell against a DRS T1 you will be kicking yourself. In a DRS deck right now I want probably 5-6 1 CMC clean removal spells just because I want to be winning the deathrite mirror, especially ina mana denial deck liek ours with wastes and Vindicates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

I'm not a fan of no Deathrites in Jeff's list. I do like Smuggler's Copter better in this meta with Miracles either gone or reduced by a lot. I also don't like only 2 equipment in the deck. In UW or Deathblade lists, you could brainstorm away the equipment if you had to, in order for Mystic to find it again. In Deadguy you don't have that option. I used to play 4 Stoneforges and 3 equipment but I sometimes had a Mystic that couldn't get anything, which sucked. So I cut down to 3 Mystics and have been happy with that mix.
    I think he have to go down to 2 equipments because of 2 Copter. Copter is kind of "equipment".

Jeffs list could cut one Stoneforge because he has only two cards to get Stoneforge with.

I can see a rationale for not playing DRS (as good as it is there are other ways to build decks). But I don't think this is the optimal build. I don't think there's enough combo to justify going this hard after it.
    Combo? 4 DRS and 1 Bayou, Done.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganfar View Post
    I think he have to go down to 2 equipments because of 2 Copter. Copter is kind of "equipment".

Jeffs list could cut one Stoneforge because he has only two cards to get Stoneforge with.
    How much do Copter's "haste" and zero mana "equip cost" differentiate it from regular equipment, though? I think it may be quite a lot. I've been the guy with two swords in play and no creatures. It's not a good feeling. Being in the same scenario with Sword + Copter or 2 Copters seems way better. Looting away extra equipment or blank Stoneforge also helps solve itself. Maybe?

I'm tempted to overload with like 3 Copters and the full 4:3 SFM package just to see what happens.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Zauzich View Post
    How much do Copter's "haste" and zero mana "equip cost" differentiate it from regular equipment, though? I think it may be quite a lot. I've been the guy with two swords in play and no creatures. It's not a good feeling. Being in the same scenario with Sword + Copter or 2 Copters seems way better. Looting away extra equipment or blank Stoneforge also helps solve itself. Maybe?

I'm tempted to overload with like 3 Copters and the full 4:3 SFM package just to see what happens.
    Vehicles got a huge boost when Top was banned because now it's nearly impossible to Terminus on your turn. I can see them creeping into Legacy now.

I actually had a mostly black deck that used Smuggler's Copter that I was quite fond of, but it also played three Tops so... needs a rework.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

While this list isn't Green enough, I think having an Arbor to fetch makes Copter better. I think Copter gets *quite* good with Bitterblossom, making the token that can't do anything potentially active instead. It's also not a bad way to utilize SFM while she's SSick and it flies over TNN, which is a big thing.

I could see just swapping tops you had for Copters. Psuedo-haste is pretty ok.
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by tescrin View Post
    While this list isn't Green enough, I think having an Arbor to fetch makes Copter better. I think Copter gets *quite* good with Bitterblossom, making the token that can't do anything potentially active instead. It's also not a bad way to utilize SFM while she's SSick and it flies over TNN, which is a big thing.

I could see just swapping tops you had for Copters. Psuedo-haste is pretty ok.
    I had both. List from gate thread: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...l=1#post990543

I forgot about Yahenni's Expertise, that's a pretty good wrath against the BUG and blade decks. You can drop Liliana after to clean up anything it didn't hit. Maybe worth looking into again but not sure if BW is right.

Apr 2017
    Texas

I can say that Bitterblossom + Copter is actually pretty brutal.
    Had them both down the other day playing a UW spirits/blade pile and I felt kind of bad for the chap.

The ability to be out-drawing blue is the bee's titties and made that particular match hopeless for my opponent.

Once I realized how far ahead Hymn got me - I was able to ride those two cards to victory since they kept pressure down and allowed me not to over extend.

Been testing sans green and have damn near fallen in love with a piece of gear called "Conqueror's Flail". With DRS it's usually a decent buff but having the "opponents can't cast spells..." effect that's tutorable via SFM has been quite sexy.

Anyone else tried playing around with the Flail before? I'm growing more & more fond.
    Dead Guy Ale // Burn
    Delver/Pyro // Turbo Fish!

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

No Percy or Obliterators!?!

What kind of madman are you. :p. I feel like the entire reason to play that deck is to play giant 4-drops. Though I guess they both got a lot worse with fatal push? lame.

Learning Blue cards
    Nov 2012
    Beijing,China

There isn't any solid reason for not playing 4 DRS in a Black-based fair deck. Even if DRS is printed without its Green-half abilities, it is still an auto-include 4-of in deadguy.
    I hear they got twisters miles wide in the Midwest.

Unban Survival of the Fittest Activist
    Oct 2016
    Netherlands

So I took this deck out for its first day on a local tournament with 10 people and ended up shared first place. [other dude needed to leave in the end and thus split the money]

List:
    Creatures:
    4 Deathrite shaman
    4 Stoneforge mystic
    4 Dark Confidant
    1 Kambal
    1 Sanctum prelate
    1 Hero of bladehold

Spells:
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Inquisition to Kozilek
    2 Hymn to tourach
    1 Abrupt decay
    1 Vindicate
    4 Swords to plowshares
    3 Lingering Souls

Other:
    3 Liliana of the veil
    1 Chrome mox
    1 Sylvan library
    1 Sword of light and shadow
    1 Jitte
    1 Batterskull

Lands:
    3 scrublands
    2 bayou
    2 swamp
    1 plains
    4 marsh flats
    1 polluted delta
    2 bloodstained mire
    2 karakas
    4 wasteland

SB
    2 Ethersworn canonist
    1 kambal
    1 sanctum prelate
    1 gaddock teeg
    1 surgical extraction
    1 circle of protection red
    1 humility
    2 zealous persecution
    2 abrupt decay
    1 pithing needle
    1 RIP
    1 Containment priest

Meta was: TES, Lands, DnT red splash, Grixis control, merfolk, infect, bant, zombie brew? [didnt see the games] Stax and me
    Top 4 Me and Lands 1st place, merfolk bant 3/4th

G1 TES: 2-1

R1Never seen the guy, kept a hand with 2 discard and kambal which proved to be relevant, topdecked turn 2 or 3 sanctum prelate. I shredded his hand and beat him to death. .
    R2 Early thoughtseize on burning wish, go DRS t2 into sanctum prelate T3 on 4. He starts going off at some point, has 8 storm, goes burning wish for grapeshot, clears my board, then some turn later he goes off again for his pif into wish into tendrils.
    R3 Early canonist for me, eats AD, play kambal into prelate on 4 again. Get some equipment online through SFM and beat him to death.

Cards in Canonist, kambal, prelate, surgical, rip
    out removal

Dude tipped me after the game to put prelate on 2 next time I face TES as he needs to wish to his board for tendrils.

G2 Lands: 1-1 draw
    R1 He wins after some grinding with marit liege
    R2 Longgrinding match with humility into RIP into batterskull, at some point he is at 1 life for a long time with 1 maze of ith and 2 thespian stage copies for my creatures. I have liliana which he held of couple of times with punishing fire, I end up ulting her splitting his pile into 1 maze of ith or the rest and kick him to death.
    R3 We had 3 minutes for this round +5 rounds, he tried to go fetch, taiga exploration + barbarian ring gamble. I get his DD that he found, he has thespian I get peedle down and a prelate on 2, wasted his taiga. Time ended there, but imo I had better board state vs his no green sources or engine online =s.
    In: Rip Peedle Sanctum Kabal Surgical Humility COP Red
    Out: -2 STP, shaving on SFM lingering, hymns

G3: Bant 2-1
    R1: Outgrind and value him, removing everything early.
    R2: 2 TNN come online with jitte gg
    R3: He mulls to 5, I have 2 discard at start and DRS, shred his hand and beat him to death.
    In: Zealout persecution, humility, kambal, decay
    Out: SFM hymn + x

G4: Grixing control 2-0
    R1: Cant remember the first round tbh but it was rather quick [8 min?]
    R2: I had 13 cards left in my deck at the end of the match. . I managed to succeed in cutting him off black and green entirely as I was afraid for another DRS. In the end he scoops as he sees no more outs with my online DRS and lingering souls that cause a stalemate.
    In: COP red, surgical, kambal, prelate, AD
    Out: Shaving allround SFM hymn lingering souls vindicate

G5: Merfolk Draw (2-0)
    We decide to draw to end in top 4 but play both games for fun.
    R1: T1 Dark confidant with mox followed by discard/removal on every merfolk is gg as she has no board.
    R2: She gets me down to 8 pretty fast through TNN before I stabilise with SFM into Bskull, remove the 2nd merfolk she has, play liliana and -. Go back up to 20+ life again,play sylvan library to get me more cards.
    In: AD Peedle Humility Zealout persecution
    Out: Kambal, Prelate, SFM

Semi finals: Bant 2-0
    Both games I outgrinded him again, 2nd game he had no blue creatures only DRS mystic Bskull vs my light and shadow Bskull that got through for free + defense =D.

Finals: Split

So can't be happier really with the first result. I still want another chrome mox but none in my area has the card. . bought a Toxic deluge for the deck after the tournament.

The thing that suprised me was how little I had to mulligan throughout the tournament [once] Granted I had 1 or 2 games where I kept a sketchy bayou DRS hand which was somewhat greedy but it worked out.

My Dark confidants where also insane in terms of how often they got me lands. Cant deny that I was very lucky statisticly on that front.

Aside of that, no complaints, good run, loved playing the deck and the grindy 35-40 turn match vs grixing control lol.

Nice. Yeah not only does PRelate on 2 stop Burning Wish and Infernal Tutor but it also stops stuff like Abrupt Decay (assuming though Storm might still run it, I suppose they might not since Miracles isn't a thing) and Pyroclasm. I guess the extra Karakas is to increase chances of saving Kambal and/or Teeg? That and maybe there are some opponent legendary dudes you wanna bounce.

I'd still prefer a Sword of Fire and Ice to the Sword of Light and Shadow

Went 4-2 on my local sunday Tournament. Beat Burn, Bug delver, Elves, and a weird blue/green Show and tell deck that had Tinder Wall. Lost to Turbo Depths and Food Chain. Punted a bit vs Depths. I knew 2 of his 3 cards (CMC high, one was Not of this World) so I didn't bother casting Inquisition of Kozilek. I cast Confidant that got Decayed. Boo. Might have pulled out of the Game 3 if Bob had lived. Tried Collective Brutality and Fatal Push in board. Didn't see the Fatal Push at all. I saw Brutality only once vs Show and Tell. I cast it just for the discard ability getting one out of 2 Flusterstorms in his hand (the last card in his hand was a land).

Going to leave in Brutality for now.

As a side note, a friend of mine who plays Deadguy from time to time because of me got me a Foil Hero of Bladehold. LOL. It's even graded too. Didn't know they would grade a card like that.
    Last edited by Wilkin; 05-07-2017 at 08:59 PM.

Thread Information