Page 314 of 319 FirstFirst ... 214264304310311312313314315316317318 ... LastLast
Results 6,261 to 6,280 of 6380

Thread: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

In my curses agent was very good with other fast mana in a vacuum. Field of Ruin raises the floor of the card significantly if you can afford the land.

However without other mana denial or creatures it didn't fit well in the deck; it turned on all the opponents removal, it had no support so the beater value was minimal, and the mana denial effect didn't have enough backup to matter. In a DGA deck those cons are not present and so has a lot of promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    Yeah, if you are going with a dedicated Opposition Agent route you almost have to do Dark ritual. Turn 1 Opposition Agent to a fetchland could be game over right there.

But a late game Agent? Sometimes it can still do stuff like another fetchland, Natural Order, a Crop rotation etc. But late game there might be not much to hit. I'm curious as to the wording. So if you snipe a fetchland you get one of their lands that you could get (ie. you can't get a wasteland off a Polluted Delta). If you get a Natural Order, you get a green creature of theirs into play? What's with the wording about casting a spell using any color of mana?

Going to have to read up on the rulings on this card. Very interesting card. Not sure where to slot it as the 3 mana slot is so cluttered in Dead guy ale.
    Yeah, Opposition Agent is definitely at its best turn 1, but it's still relevant later in the game. At worst it's a flash threat that pressures planeswalkers and carries a sword. I do find it to be my most frequently boarded out card though, since it seems the most matchup-dependent. Against something like Delver where it's really only fetchlands you're hitting, you don't want to rely on having Dark Ritual to make the card good.

As for the wording of the card, yeah it is a bit confusing. Anytime you're searching opponent's library you can only find things that they would've been able to find — you're right that you can't fetch Wasteland off Polluted Delta. Similarly, for Natural Order, you can only find green creatures. But it wouldn't go directly into play — Opposition Agent exiles it, and you can play it as long as it's exiled (including if Opposition Agent dies), spending mana of any color. Speaking of Natural Order, I once had the pleasure of casting a Hornet Queen off of Opposition Agent after ambushing a Natural Order against Nic Fit. It was glorious. Could've been Progenitus if I had one more land.

I love Opposition Agent but playing a full 4 Dark Ritual is too much card disadvantage and often leads me to having multiples of them clogging up my hand midgame. I like seeing at most 1 Dark Ritual per game, even if it means I rarely have it in my opening hand.

I dont think turn 1 Agent is necessary for the deck to be good. Confidant and Hymn are as awesome as ever and black has gotten a ton of sweet new creatures and removal spells in recent sets.

I am wondering if a list along these lines could be made to work in Legacy...

4 Hymn to Tourach

4 Thoughtseize

2 Bloodchief’s Thirst

1 Fatal Push

1 Inquisition of Kozilek

1 Cling to Dust

1 Dark Ritual

1 Eliminate

1 Reanimate (or Unearth)

3 Liliana of the Veil

1 Liliana, the Last Hope

4 Dark Confidant

4 Opposition Agent

1 Nighthawk Scavenger

1 Nullpriest of Oblivion

1 Murderous Rider

1 Gatekeeper of Malakir

1 Gifted Aetherborn

1 Maralen of the Mornsong

1 Plague Engineer

1 Rotting Regisaur

1 Bitterblossom

0 Court of Ambition (or Jitte)

14 Swamp

4 Wasteland

2 Castle Lochwain

1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

1 Agadeem’s Awakening

1 Volrath’s Stronghold

Sideboard:

4 Leyline of the Void

3 Plague Engineer

3 Pithing Needle

2 Chains of Mephistopheles

2 Surgical Extraction

1 Cling to Dust

Would love to get input from the community on the list above.

Edit: Updated the list, cut the Court of Ambition for a Cling to Dust (better choice in this meta), and replaced a Dark Ritual with a swamp because this deck needed more stable mana sources.

Edit 2: After a few dozen games on MTGO, Bitterblossom, Dark Confidant, Dark Ritual and Nighthawk Scavenger have all vastly exceeded expectations. I have now adopted playing playset of all four! On the same note, the Liliana planeswalkers havent been nearly as good as I hoped. Ive ended up cutting a few.
    Last edited by Clark Kant; 01-03-2021 at 10:34 AM.

Deadguy Ale is B/w, so I think the Stoneforge Mystic list that just 5-0ed is a better example. The list above is more correctly called, The Gate.

One and two ofs make sense as long as they are cards that have excellent significant impact in certain situations or against specific common matchups, and have subpar marginal utility against just about everything or are only occasionally completely useless so that you never want to see multiples of them in the same game(you can discard or Mox them away the first one fairly easily in the matchups where they prove useless).

Here is what I suggest as far as a monoblack take on Deadguy Ale (more disruption and recursion focused)...

14 Swamp
    4 Wasteland
    2 Castle Lochwain
    1 Agadeem's Awakening
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    3 Chrome Mox
    3 Dark Ritual
    2 Cling to Dust
    2 Bloodchief's Thirst
    2 Sinkhole
    2 Smallpox
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Bitterblossom
    4 Dark Confidant
    2 Opposition Agent
    2 Nighthawk Scavenger
    2 Rotting Regisaur
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Liliana the Last Hope
    1 Reanimate
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Eliminate
    1 Pox
    1 Murderous Rider
    1 Nullpriest of Oblivion
    1 Plague Engineer

Sideboard
    1 Plague Engineer
    1 Pithing Needle
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Chains of Mephistopheles
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Trinisphere
    1 Surgical Extraction

Just cut any 9 cards from the maindeck above (based on the local meta you face or based on your own personal experience with the cards) and you're golden. Obviously, you would want to cut the more mana hungry cards if you opt to keep the Smallpox/Pox in, and if you opt to take those out, you would want to cut a few lands and some Bitterblossoms as well.

This is the deadguy ale list that 5-0ed...

https://youtu.be/nTcRX8lSNzw

I think it should play a Vampire of the Diremoon to pair with the Swords equipment and with Agadeem’s Awakening.

As a 1 drop I'd rather run a Foulmire Knight or a Crypt Breaker. Or they could unban Deathrite Shaman lol.

Interesting list though.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    Deadguy Ale is B/w, so I think the Stoneforge Mystic list that just 5-0ed is a better example. The list above is more correctly called, The Gate.

One and two ofs make sense as long as they are cards that have excellent significant impact in certain situations or against specific common matchups, and have subpar marginal utility against just about everything or are only occasionally completely useless so that you never want to see multiples of them in the same game(you can discard or Mox them away the first one fairly easily in the matchups where they prove useless).

Here is what I suggest as far as a monoblack take on Deadguy Ale (more disruption and recursion focused)...

14 Swamp
    4 Wasteland
    2 Castle Lochwain
    1 Agadeem's Awakening
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    3 Chrome Mox
    3 Dark Ritual
    2 Cling to Dust
    2 Bloodchief's Thirst
    2 Sinkhole
    2 Smallpox
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Bitterblossom
    4 Dark Confidant
    2 Opposition Agent
    2 Nighthawk Scavenger
    2 Rotting Regisaur
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Liliana the Last Hope
    1 Reanimate
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Eliminate
    1 Pox
    1 Murderous Rider
    1 Nullpriest of Oblivion
    1 Plague Engineer

Sideboard
    1 Plague Engineer
    1 Pithing Needle
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Chains of Mephistopheles
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Trinisphere
    1 Surgical Extraction

Just cut any 9 cards from the maindeck above (based on the local meta you face or based on your own personal experience with the cards) and you're golden. Obviously, you would want to cut the more mana hungry cards if you opt to keep the Smallpox/Pox in, and if you opt to take those out, you would want to cut a few lands and some Bitterblossoms as well.
    This... is a Pox deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittplayer View Post
    This... is a Pox deck.
    That list has a maximum of 2 Smallpox both of which can be among the 9 cards you cut from the list to bring it down to 60. My current build cut the pox and a smallpox from the list altogether along with 2 bitterblossom and a few other cards so it looks and plays identical to Deadguy Ale but with Nighthawk Scavenger serving the function that Batterskull/Stoneforge did (huge evasive threat and lifegain) while taking up fewer slots (freeing up slots for 4 Opposition Agent alongside 4 Wasteland and Sinkhole), costing less mana and losing fewer games due to being cut out from the white source due to Wasteland/Stifle/Agent effects.

Here is my current list, it feels and plays just like any other Deadguy Ale list and its been doing fantastic on MTGO, sadly fell just 1 game short of 5-0ing..

13 Swamp
    4 Wasteland
    2 Silent Clearing
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    1 Agadeem's Awakening

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Sinkhole
    2 Bloodchief's Thirst
    1 Fatal Push
    1 Reanimate

4 Dark Confidant
    4 Opposition Agent
    4 Nighthawk Scavenger
    2 Bitterblossom
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Liliana the Last Hope
    1 Phyrexian Revoker/Inquisiton of Kozilek/Cling to Dust/Eliminate/Liliana the Last Hope (Testing between these 5 cards at the moment, not sure yet which of these 5 cards belongs in this slot)

Sideboard
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Pithing Needle
    2 Plague Enginner
    2 Necromentia
    1 Liliana's Triumph
    1 Surgical Extraction

The only reason I am testing Sinkhole is because it synergizes incredibly well with Opposition Agent/Wasteland (Smallpox also synergizes with bitterblossom). Sinkhole and Smallpox also often manage to win games all by themselves through mana screw and even take out problematic cards like Dark Depths, Field of Ruin, Maze of Ith, Ancient Tomb, Karakas, Rishidan Port or cut opponent's off from a critical color.
    Last edited by Captain Hammer; 01-04-2021 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    That list has a maximum of 2 Smallpox both of which can be among the 9 cards you cut from the list to bring it down to 60. My current build cut the pox and a smallpox from the list altogether along with 2 bitterblossom and a few other cards so it looks and plays identical to Deadguy Ale but with Nighthawk Scavenger serving the function that Batterskull/Stoneforge did (huge evasive threat and lifegain) while taking up fewer slots (freeing up slots for 4 Opposition Agent alongside 4 Wasteland and Sinkhole), costing less mana and losing fewer games due to being cut out from the white source due to Wasteland/Stifle/Agent effects.

Here is my current list, it feels and plays just like any other Deadguy Ale list and its been doing fantastic on MTGO...

13 Swamp
    4 Wasteland
    2 Silent Clearing
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    1 Agadeem's Awakening

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Sinkhole
    2 Bloodchief's Thirst
    1 Fatal Push
    1 Reanimate

4 Dark Confidant
    4 Opposition Agent
    4 Nighthawk Scavenger
    2 Bitterblossom
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Liliana the Last Hope
    1 Phyrexian Revoker/Inquisiton of Kozilek/Cling to Dust/Eliminate/Liliana the Last Hope (Testing between these 5 cards at the moment, not sure yet which of these 5 cards belongs in this slot)

Sideboard
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Pithing Needle
    2 Plague Enginner
    2 Necromentia
    1 Liliana's Triumph
    1 Surgical Extraction

The only reason I am testing Sinkhole is because it synergizes incredibly well with Opposition Agent/Wasteland (Smallpox also synergizes with bitterblossom). Sinkhole and Smallpox also often manage to win games all by themselves through mana screw and even take out problematic cards like Dark Depths, Field of Ruin, Maze of Ith, Ancient Tomb, Karakas, Rishidan Port or cut opponent's off from a critical color.
    Ok. But you do understand this is not B/W Deadguy, which is what this thread is here for to discuss and share lists. Your deck is a Pox deck. Or, since you dispute that, a monoblack control list. Either way, it does not in any way belong on a Deadguy thread. And you are spamming the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittplayer View Post
    Ok. But you do understand this is not B/W Deadguy, which is what this thread is here for to discuss and share lists. Your deck is a Pox deck. Or, since you dispute that, a monoblack control list. Either way, it does not in any way belong on a Deadguy thread. And you are spamming the conversation.
    The list shares 90% of the same cards as Deadguy Ale, plays out the same but actually outperforms the Stoneforge Mythic version in my experience (I've played a list nearly identical to 5-0 list in the video above and this list is actually more oppressive thanks to Sinkhole).

Stoneforge Mystic isn't even good enough for Modern for a reason, its a very slow card, and splashing a color just for one slow vulnerable beatstick that takes up 7 slots no longer makes sense with the recent threats and removal printed into black the past year. But I get your point, you do not want to discuss monoblack versions of Deadguy in the thread. So I will stop posting here.

Felt like sharing my current list after playing around with it over the past couple months:

3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Polluted Delta
    2 Marsh Flats
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Scrubland
    1 Bayou
    1 Underground Sea
    2 Swamp
    1 Mishra's Factory
    4 Wasteland

4 Dark Ritual
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Fatal Push

4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Dark Confidant
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Bitterblossom
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

4 Liliana of the Veil
    2 Opposition Agent
    1 Lingering Souls
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull

Sideboard

1 Rest in Peace
    1 Surgical Extraction
    3 Leyline of the Void
    2 Plague Engineer
    2 Meddling Mage
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Engineered Explosives

Comments on some aspects of the maindeck:

1 Bayou / 1 Underground Sea: For splashes out of the sideboard (see below).

1 Mishra's Factory: Great utility land to have – picks up equipment after your other threats have been answered, provides extra pressure against planeswalkers, and can actually profitably block 2/2's unlike the rest of your creatures. I think going up to 2 would strain the manabase a bit too much, but I'd also miss not having it at all, hence playing 1.

4 Dark Ritual: I think everybody should be playing this in Deadguy nowadays, and not just because of the synergy with Opposition Agent; if you're on Chrome Mox or no acceleration, I think you're missing out. The format is too fast for no acceleration, and your strategy isn't so overtly powerful that you can afford losing an extra card to Chrome Mox. Dark Ritual enables your most busted starts, and due to equipment isn't dead in the mid-to-late game either.

2 Swords to Plowshares / 2 Fatal Push split: All your non-colorless lands produce black, whereas only Scrublands produce white, so the split is a concession to the manabase.

1 Bitterblossom / 1 Lingering Souls split: Basically drawing two of either isn't great due to life loss and clunkiness respectively. A split has felt right to me.

2 Opposition Agent / 2 Revoker split: Your suite of disruptive creatures. Other lists might play something like Tidehollow Sculler in these slots, but I like diversifying the disruption a bit given you're already playing so much discard. You want some of each effect depending on the matchup, but don't necessarily want more than one of each, hence the split. Revoker was included in the pre-ban meta due to Oko, but in the post-ban matches I've played it's still earned its place.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with where the maindeck is at and don't foresee myself making significant changes in the near future.

Comments on some aspects of the sideboard:

2 Abrupt Decay / 1 Engineered Explosives: I've been trying a green splash for Decays over something like Vindicate, aiming to help in two categories of matchups specifically: 1) Chalice decks (because they're bad game 1 matchups) and 2) Delver (because it's popular). I do miss the flexibility of Vindicate (being able to blow up a land is surprisingly relevant a lot of the time, as well as Karn, Gurmag Angler, etc...), but it comes at the cost of speed, and you don't have that much time in the aforementioned matchups. I'm leaning towards the green splash being worth it but I think it's close. Explosives is basically the third Decay but requires a bit less of the manabase.

2 Meddling Mage: The latest thing I've been trying. I've only played 2 leagues on MTGO with it, but it's impressed me so far. In most matchups you want it, you don't have to worry about Wasteland, so castability is less a concern than it looks at first. It's of course gas against combo matchups, but it's also got utility against other decks where one key spell beats you: Punishing Fire, Uro, and Primeval Titan come to mind.

Other things I've tried that I wouldn't necessarily recommend:

Red splash for Pyroblast out of the sideboard: You're a tap out deck so it's hard to keep up Pyroblast as a counter. Didn't feel great even when Oko was everywhere and is probably even less good now.

Doomsday transformational sideboard (casting Thassa's Oracle off of Manamorphose): Took too many sideboard slots and was just super clunky.

1 basic Plains: Only tried a few games with this but it felt really bad every time I drew the Plains.

Other things maybe worth trying in the future:

– Veil of Summer, Choke, Sylvan Library in the sideboard
    – Karakas, Castle Locthwain as alternative utility lands

All in all, I've probably played ~125 matches on MTGO with various iterations of this deck over the past few months (the bulk of it pre-ban) and maintained a ~60-70% match win rate. This is to say – and maybe I'm preaching to the choir here – that I think Deadguy is much better than people normally give it credit for, and more people should give it a chance. Plus, it's super fun and you always get to feel like the good guy when you're playing it

Happy to share more if anybody has questions.

Feb 2016
    Spain

Hi.

Do you think Opposition agent plan is solid right now? Lately I'm seeing a lot of delver variants and I feel it's too slow even with Dark ritual. Currently I'm running 4 Swords to plowshares and 3 Abrupt Decay to deal with Dreadhorde arcanist. Delver of secrets, Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath, etc.
    Regarding Dark ritual issue I agree we need the acceleration they offer but 4 is a lot because they are horrible on multiple and as a topdeck even with equipments.
    Have you tested Cling to dust?

Do you think Opposition agent plan is solid right now? Lately I'm seeing a lot of delver variants and I feel it's too slow even with Dark ritual.
    I do think Opposition Agent is solid. Of course, it's not great against Delver, but a lot of the meta isn't Delver. It's great against any deck with Crop Rotation, any deck with GSZ, hits Natural Order out of Elves as well, and is pretty good against DnT too (hitting Recruiter + Stoneforge). Snagging fetchlands, even on later turns, is pretty good against control decks that need to develop their mana. I wouldn't say that the deck has an Opposition Agent "plan" though – as it is, I'm only running two. It's a nice disruptive element to have but your gameplan doesn't revolve around it.

Currently I'm running 4 Swords to plowshares and 3 Abrupt Decay to deal with Dreadhorde arcanist. Delver of secrets, Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath, etc.
    Decay is great, but I like playing it out of the board a bit better. I don't want to necessarily get stuck with too many reactive elements at the cost of my own proactive gameplan, and also it's a bit easier on the mana to only have two colors pre-board. Also, you don't have to worry about Dreadhorde Arcanist any more :).

Regarding Dark ritual issue I agree we need the acceleration they offer but 4 is a lot because they are horrible on multiple and as a topdeck even with equipments
    Eh, I don't think they're actually that bad in multiples, particularly in opening hands. Like, Rit->Rit->Bob->Liliana is a terrific sequence that's absolutely worth spending the extra cards on. It's also worth noting that even in the mid-to-late game you can be strapped for mana. Plenty of decks work on Wasting/Porting your lands, Bob leads you to accumulate lots of cards in hand, bouncing + recasting Batterskull in the same turn costs 8, etc.

Have you tested Cling to dust?
    Not recently; I had tried it in the mono black shell that my list grew out of. It felt OK, not great. With SFM you don't need the lifegain aspect of it as much as a monoblack shell might. As a SB option for graveyard hate I think there are more powerful options available.

Quote Originally Posted by bwangeroo View Post

Not recently; I had tried it in the mono black shell that my list grew out of. It felt OK, not great. With SFM you don't need the lifegain aspect of it as much as a monoblack shell might. As a SB option for graveyard hate I think there are more powerful options available.
    I really like your list! I have a few questions and it seems mtg the source is the only place we can talk deadguy ale.

I don't have chains in paper so what are some cards I could replace it with?

How do you feel about a single plains to hedge against blood moon?

It seems we don't have any storm hate?

Do you have any VODs or do you stream?

Quote Originally Posted by jubeininja69 View Post
    I really like your list! I have a few questions and it seems mtg the source is the only place we can talk deadguy ale.

Seeing that it mostly helps against draw-y Combo decks, try Ethersworn Canonist.

Yes. The times it screws you out of your gameplan T1 is negligeable.

Ethersworn Canonist :D

I run Thalia, Guardian of Thraben in the board. It can get awkward at times, making Liliana cost 4 but it's usually worth it vs a deck like Storm. Plus, with Chrome Mox, a turn 1 Thalia is pretty sweet.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Spirit of the Labyrinth has been used in D&T on occasion, I think with mixed results. Having 1 toughness is a fairly big liability, it dies to literally every removal played in the format. I think for the same mana investment your best bet is to just play Hymn to Tourach; it isn't a lock like Chains but it attacks their hand to provide a window for getting a superior board presence. Words of Waste is an interesting option that gives you agency on when you want to draw and when you want opponents to discard, which seems really good if you have a Dark Confidant 'drawing' you a card every turn. I think it's mana cost is one too many and it's probably too conditional to actually be good, but it's an interesting card.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Feb 2016
    Spain

I'm currently on E.tutor sideboard so I play 2xEnlightened tutor, 1xDeafening silence, 1xEthersworn canonist, 2x Rest in peace and 2xSurgical extraction
    I'm also playing 4xThoughtseize, 3xHymn to Tourach and 3xInquisition of Kozilek on main (plus 3xLiliana of the Veil) so combo matchups (ANT and TES) don't feel unwinnable.

Thanks! Yeah I kind of wish there was a DGA discord. I'd set one up but I'm not sure I want to deal with moderation and such.

Hmm maybe Spirit of the Labyrinth? Other things that come to mind that might have a similar effect would be Choke off the green splash or Hullbreacher off the blue splash. But yeah Spirit probably does the most similar thing here.

I'm not sure about it – I tried it for a couple games but it didn't feel good. It would probably have to replace a colorless land (e.g. the Factory in my build), and would be competing for Karakas in that same spot. I guess it's a meta call.

I haven't found storm to be a bad matchup, so I don't think you necessarily need to have dedicated sb hate for it. Having 13 mb discard effects is pretty potent already, and Opposition Agent + Phyrexian Revoker are really good against storm as well. Plus a lot of the sideboard does have some utility against storm – graveyard hate can be good, Chains can be OK, Meddling Mage is good, Plague Engineer + EE for Goblins. If you want dedicated hate I'd look at Deafening Silence. As others have mentioned Ethersworn Canonist or Thalia are good options as well.

Do you have any VODs or do you stream?
    Nope. Have considered making VODS just cause I want to see more DGA content but haven't gotten around to it. You might wanna check out the Phil Gallagher stream of an earlier version of the deck here (also posted earlier in the thread).

The pox discord is quite active. The WB pox channel has been donated to DGA since dga is probably better than any of the pox builds. Anyways the above builds are basically pox splashing SFM anyways; there is a lot of overlap.

They also gave my curses deck a channel there. I think consolidating fair black but non-blue decks into 1 discord is preferable to fragmenting the community. And there are some possible cross-synergies.

Thread Information