Page 291 of 319 FirstFirst ... 191241281287288289290291292293294295301 ... LastLast
Results 5,801 to 5,820 of 6380

Thread: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Wouldn't Aether Vial or Mother of Runes be a better substitute for DRS if he gets banned? Both seem more powerful than this new Deadeye Tracker. I would also think that green becomes nearly unnecessary if DRS gets banned. Abrupt Decay is the only other green card it really cares about, maybe Sylvan Library or Gaddock Teeg out of the board. I would think there are plenty of other options for DGA than splashing green for those.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Apr 2017
    Texas

I fully agree with you. We have plenty of great cards we can play and I think seeing DGA evolve past Shaman is an exciting prospect in its own.

Deadeye stuck out to me as WotC's preemptive contingency in case they pulled the plug. "

"Well... at least this thing is 1CMC black... close enough stats AND it plays around in the dumpsters... that's all people play DRS for anyway. We have all the datas, this guy is what we both want. Right...?"
    Dead Guy Ale // Burn
    Delver/Pyro // Turbo Fish!

I'd probably go to BW Bomberman if Shaman were to be banned. I still lol at people using lack of diversity as a problem....forgetting the fact that Blue still dominates. It's an insane card but it would set a precedent in Legacy in that it would be the first fair creature (as opposed to say a 1 card combo in Hermit Druid). I guess Goblin Recruiter could be considered fair (or lol perhaps not) but I think the possible time consuming part is why it's still banned.

I also think that if you were to errata Shaman (they won't but interesting to talk about anyway), having it only be able to make B or G mana would help a lot. Making it a 0/1 as some suggest wouldn't really change it enough imo.

Played at a local of mine after a long layoff (couldn't make Eternal as my ride cancelled). Troll central lol. Bob top decks Engineered Explosives facing down 10 goblins. And vs BR Reanimator...killed Chancellor of the Annex twice. First with Shriekmaw, 2nd killing Animate Dead with Abrupt Decay. Also in game 2, my opening hand had Leyline of the Void and Surgical Extraction. He has the Reverent Silence for the Leyline and tries to animate dead a Sire of Insanity. No sir.

Played another small local event. 5 rounds cut to top 8. Went 3-1-1 in swiss and won it out in top 8. Main deck same old, same old. The sideboard changed a bit.

2 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Leyline of the Void
    1 Leyline of Sanctity
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Zealous Persuction
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Collective Brutality
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    2 Humility

Round 1. Bug Death Shadow. Lose in 3
    I was very mana light in game 1 and 3. Used up Plows early to kill Deathrites.....and then died to a later Death's Shadow. In my game 2 win, I did Plow a Death's Shadow with another in play. 2 for 1. Oh yeah.

Round 2. Czech Pile. Win in 2.
    Was able to mana screw my opponent to keep him off of casting a lot. Lingering Souls in both games got there, with Sword of Fire and Ice in game 2.

Round 3. Burn. Win in 2.
    I cast a Dark Confidant blind turn 1. Was able to get there with Deathrite eating enough stuff and Shriekmaw at 5 mana killing an Eidolon. LOL, so I see Leyline of Sanctity but not at beginning of game. When I cast it, he responds by Fireblasting and Barbarian ring me. Still got there but funny to see Leyline not do much at all.

Round 4. Sneak and Show. Win in 2.
    Turn 1 Thoughtseize. Turn 2 Bob. Turn 3 another discard. Was able to have enough discard and then Hero of Bladehold for the finisher. Game 2 he has double Leyline of Sanctity and goes for a Show and tell.....he puts in Emrakul, I put in Humility. I have a sword of Fire and Ice in play already.

Round 5. ID

7th seed going in.
    Round 6. Infect. win in 3.
    The games I won were very grindy. A liliana, the last hope prevented him from casting any of his 1 toughness guys. I also had a lingering Soul and a swords to plowshares (which he knew about from probe) to keep Inkmoth Nexus at bay.
    Game 3. So i thoughtseize him early and he BS in response. I see Spell pierce and a bunch of pump spells. I take the Vines. He then cast Glistener Elf on his turn. I evoke Shriekmaw on my turn. lol, nice Spell Pierce. I cast Stoneforge Mystic a turn later to get Jitte. gg.

Round 7. Food Chain. Win in 2 I think.
    Collective Brutality was sick. I discard a Lingering souls I think to kill his deathrite and discard his Abrupt Decay to save my Deathrite.

Round 8. BUG Deaths Shadow. Win in 3.
    Sweet Revenge. I saw Delvers for the first time here. So I leave in 1 Shriekmaw. Was able to out attrition my opponent.

I took out a Pithing needle since I didn't see any of the known lands players. I also put some of my opponent's on combo , hence the Brutality. Collective Brutality was great, going to leave it in. Had it vs everyone actually. Did tons of damage vs Infect and Food Chain. Probably going back to 1 Relic of Progenitus to make room for the Pithing Needle again. I am probably going to miss Gideon vs Czech Pile but had to make a cut somewhere.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Hey there I went to a tournament yesterday too, ended up going 5-2 and I kind of punted myself out of top 8. I was playing the same list with a bunch of changes I wanted to make, -1 Lingering Souls +1 Vindicate main and -1 Toxic Deluge, -1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar, +1 Pithing Needle, +1 Liliana of the Last Hope. Gideon has been kind of mediocre and I wanted pithing needle as there are a ton of Loam players in the local metagame. I cut a souls because I found that I was frequently cutting 1 in a lot of my blue matchups since I was bringing in 2 RIPs and wanted a card that was just naturally good in those matchups.

Round 1: Win against Sneak and Show
    Game 1, I was against a friend and I know that he has a tendency to keep some sketchy hands. Game 1 he mulligans to 6 and keeps on top, and just passed. I go turn 1 thoughtseize and see a hand of 3 Sneak Attacks, 1 Preordain, and 2 Sol Lands. I take the preordain and he draws and plays the volc he plays from the top. I play a confidant and he's able to play a sneak attack in the next couple of turns. I luckily find 2 vindicates for his volcanic island, the first one gets forced and the 2nd one resolves while I beat him down. Game 2, opponent kept a 7 and I mulligan down to a mediocre 5. He just kills me turn 2 with S&T -> Omniscience. Game 3 I go Pithing Needle -> containment priest -> prelate on 3. He forces a Liliana and we just kind of play draw go for a while. He abrades my priest EOT and through the breaches an Emrakul on his turn but he's dead on the crackback. He shows me his hand at the end of the game and says he should have killed my prelate and then all of his S&Ts would have become live. He was pretty much 1 S&T away from killing me.

Round 2: Win against D&T
    Nothing too special here, standard D&T vs DGA matches. He plays something and if it's threatening it ends up dying. Game 2 I kept a kind of sketchy hand that was all in on a SFM and wasn't able to find a 4th land to play a palace jailer between my chrome moxes being revokered and ported every turn. I do a desperation hymn to try to hit a jitte that he just fetched with his SFM but I end up missing and losing the game. Game 3 pretty much goes the same as game 1, he plays some stuff and I kill it. At some point I connect with a SoFaI and draw a hymn so i'm able to hymn the last 2 cards from his hand which end up being Batterskull + Jitte.

Round 3: Win against TES
    Game 1, I go turn 1 confidant and my opponent ponders and keeps all 3 on top. I thoughtseize him on my turn and see a hand of Rite of Flame x2, Dark Ritual, Bloodstained Mire, Brainstorm, LED, Therapy. I think my choices were either LED or Brainstorm, I took the Brainstorm. What would you have taken here? My opponent went all in and made 10 goblins, I was able to stabilize drawing a couple of lingering souls over the next couple of turns.

Game 2, I keep a kind of slow but hate filled 7. I play a turn 2 confidant and then beat my opponent down for a few turns while he's cantripping. He goes off with 0 floating and is unable to find a free mana source to kill me so I got this match, phew.

Round 4: Loss against Sylvan Safekeeper (Junk Maverick)
    Opponent goes turn 1 Sylvan Safekeeper and I go turn 1 confidant. My opponent doesn't have an answer for it so I draw a couple of cards. At one point in this game my board was Confidant, Confidant, Liliana on 2, a bunch of lands and his was Arbor, Forest, Safekeeper. He swung in and I choose to block the Arbor, I figured that if I draw a removal spell it basically just puts him down a land if he wants to keep his safekeeper. I brainfart on what safekeeper when he finally plays his knight, I go to swords it eot only to realize when I put the spell on the stack what an error I had made. So I had to throw away an edict to eat the safekeeper. At that point I kept drawing lands off my confidant + regular draws for the next couple of turns and lost the game. Game 2 was similar, I kept a hand with no removal but a bunch of creatures and I ended up dying to my opponent beating me down with a Jitte on a SFM, a Knight and a Safekeeper.

Round 5: Win against Aluren with White Recruiters
    I go turn 1 DRS, turn 2 Thoughtseize -> Confidant. He doesn't really have much going so i'm able to take over the game with dark confidant. I'm able to keep him off mana with wastelands + vindicate long enough to win. Game 2 was basically hymn -> hymn + wasteland -> Confidant to eventually both Lilianas and a palace jailer while my opponent was stuck on a savannah.

Round 6: Loss against Grixis Delver
    We trade back and forth and I take over game 1 with a batterskull. I kept a 1 land, 1 chrome mox hand in game 2 and am unable to keep up with him. Game 3 was the biggest i'm an idiot moment this tournament. We trade back and forth. I end up stupidly letting a pithing needle resolve and he needles my fetchland. I think this actually ended up saving me as for -1 mana my Lilianas kept me in the game. Close to the end of the game his board is Unflipped Delver + Angler, mine is a SoFaI and a spirit, I draw a Liliana for the turn. Instead of edicting him, I equip the SoFaI and completely miss the ancient grudge that he had in his yard. I die on the crackback. Looking at my next couple of cards I think that if I had made my edict play I may have potentially won the game, my next draws were Palace Jailer into Prelate into a Zealous.

Game 7: Win against BW Bomberman
    Game 1 was more my opponent not drawing action rather than me proactively doing stuff. Game 2 I kept a 1 land, prelate, rip, rip, swords, swords, confidant hand hoping to rip a land. I swords his first turn ballista and then his 2nd turn confidant. He ended up comboing me before I could find another land. Game 3 I went turn 1 SFM getting batterskull and proceeded to wasteland/vindiate him out of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Wouldn't Aether Vial or Mother of Runes be a better substitute for DRS if he gets banned? Both seem more powerful than this new Deadeye Tracker. I would also think that green becomes nearly unnecessary if DRS gets banned. Abrupt Decay is the only other green card it really cares about, maybe Sylvan Library or Gaddock Teeg out of the board. I would think there are plenty of other options for DGA than splashing green for those.
    Yeah I don't think that deadeye tracker looks very playable. Imo if you want to stick with strong 1 drop Mother of Runes is probably the way to go. Splashing red seems more tempting with DRS out of the way for Lavamancers in the main and pyroblasts and potentially burn spells. The other option is to go a little heavier on fast mana and focus more on 2 drops.
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

I went 16 place on Swedish Champion this weekend. I have made a tournament report here:
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...98#post1029498

4 Dark Confidant
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Tidehollow Sculler

4 Thoughtseize
    2 Council's Judgment
    2 Hymn to Tourach
    2 Lingering Souls
    1 Toxic Deluge

4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Fatal Push

1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

3 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Gideon of the Trials

4 Marsh Flats
    4 Swamp
    3 Scrubland
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Plains
    2 Wasteland
    1 Bayou
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    1 Windswept Heath

Sideboard:
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Collective Brutality
    1 Diabolic Edict
    1 Disenchant
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    1 Kaya, Ghost Assassin
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    Deadguy ale Primer: http://articles.mtgcardmarket.com/br...n-deadguy-ale/ (Jeff did it before me)

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Ganfar View Post
    I went 16 place on Swedish Champion this weekend. I have made a tournament report here:
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...98#post1029498
    Congrats!

Your sideboarding seems a little strange to me. I usually board out some number of discard in the fair matchups. I like thoughtseize/inquisition/therapy more than hymn on the draw and on the play i'm a big fan of hymn.

Good day.

Hey guys. I've been trying out a new list with pretty good results so far. So far the list is 10-1 in games, playing against stompy, czech pile, and Maverick (loss was to stompy having a hand full of gas). Needs more testing, but figured I'd share the list in case anyone else wanted to mess around with it since i dont have as much time to test as id like these days. Big difference is dropping stoneforge package for threats that can more immediately affect the board (kohligans command was killing me, and i usually run into a lot of grixis) The sideboardoard is a work in progress since im still figuring out how it matches up with other decks.

2x umezawas jitte
    2x chrome mox
    1x smugglers copter
    4x swords to plowshares
    2x kitesail freebooter
    4x deathrite shaman
    2x Thalia , heretic cathar
    2x Serra Avenger
    4x Dark Confidant
    3x lingering souls
    1x council's judgment
    2x collective brutality
    2x Gerrards Verdict
    4x Thoughtseize
    2x liliana the last hope
    1x gideon ally of zendikar
    1x liliana of the veil

2x swamp
    1x plains
    1x verdant catacombs
    4x wasteland
    4x scrubland
    1x karakas
    1x savannah
    3x windswept heath
    4x marsh flats
    1x bayou

Sb
    2x toxic deluge
    2x faerie macabre
    2x zealous persecution
    2x surgical extraction
    1x karakas
    1x councils judgment
    2x smallpox
    2x null rod
    1x liliana of the veil

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    Congrats!

Your sideboarding seems a little strange to me. I usually board out some number of discard in the fair matchups. I like thoughtseize/inquisition/therapy more than hymn on the draw and on the play i'm a big fan of hymn.
    I could sideborad out more discard. I don't feel Gideon of the Trails is good in fair matchups.
    Deadguy ale Primer: http://articles.mtgcardmarket.com/br...n-deadguy-ale/ (Jeff did it before me)

Apr 2017
    Texas

Going to be testing a lot w/ Kitesail Freebooter this weekend.

I've been excited since it was spoiled, my set came in the mail just recently. She seems to fit the bill nicely. I guess if she whiffs, she's still a flying jitte candidate at least.
    Dead Guy Ale // Burn

Apr 2017
    Texas

Freebooter was pretty effective. I was able to test against Grixis Delver, UR Delver/Pyro, Burn and a slew of UW variants.

The only thing I felt I was lacking were some more cheap equips to turn them into bruisers. Not sure which one(s) I'd throw in. Shit, at times all she needed was a Bone splitter and I would have been very happy.

I'll keep her in for now and try a few different equips, see how it turns out.

In the mean time... I've really been wanting Bitterblossom, Monastery Mentor and Death's Shadow in a B/W based deck. There's gotta be something hidden in the format somewhere's.
    Dead Guy Ale // Burn

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy_Eyes View Post
    Freebooter was pretty effective. I was able to test against Grixis Delver, UR Delver/Pyro, Burn and a slew of UW variants.

The only thing I felt I was lacking were some more cheap equips to turn them into bruisers. Not sure which one(s) I'd throw in. Shit, at times all she needed was a Bone splitter and I would have been very happy.

I'll keep her in for now and try a few different equips, see how it turns out.

In the mean time... I've really been wanting Bitterblossom, Monastery Mentor and Death's Shadow in a B/W based deck. There's gotta be something hidden in the format somewhere's.
    Cool, I really like Kitesail Freebooter has Flying. Tidehollow can't attack many time then there is a gofy in the way. Only bad thing is that it can't take cretures

If you do go the tokens route, I'd suggest trying out Bloodforged Battle-Axe. I honestly think that card has a place in legacy stoneblade somewhere .

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Apr 2017
    Texas

I'm all for some Sculler + Freebooter action.
    Just seems straight up annoying w/ all of our land disruption.

Shit, I may even be tempted to throw some Sink Holes +/- some token production. Probably Blossom and/or Lingering... maybe Mr. Mentor depending on the (lack of?) mana curve.
    Myth Realized is also a favorite of mine, I know it's probably "bad" but I can't see it being Plowshared being bad after a certain point but who knows.

The low CMC equips/artifacts are always good in my book. And I have a soft spot for Blood-forged Battle Axe and Conqueror's Flail.

Seems like I NEVER play Batterskull even though its in my deck. It's always a weird feeling card. Though its been pretty decent when I actually do. I've straight up tapped five to play it way more times than I've been able to get it in with SFM's ability... definitely pilot error.

I'll be tinkering.
    Dead Guy Ale // Burn

Unban Survival of the Fittest Activist
    Oct 2016
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy_Eyes View Post

Seems like I NEVER play Batterskull even though its in my deck. It's always a weird feeling card. Though its been pretty decent when I actually do. I've straight up tapped five to play it way more times than I've been able to get it in with SFM's ability... definitely pilot error.

I'll be tinkering.
    Seems you have noticed that fetching Bskull turn 2 with a SFM results in the SFM being removed, making the skull stick in your hand.

At least, thats a very common mistake I see new DnT players make. I fetch for the sword of F&Y 9/10 times unless the matchup demands it (burn first thing that comes to mind). People are much less inclined to remove the SFM that way as you can still hardcast the sword the turn after.

Going for Bskull T2 is a mistake in general unless you have a mother out (speaking from DnT perspective).
    That said Bskull is often the 2nd equipment I fetch over the remaining Jitte/Sword thats in my deck.
    Decks I own: 2x DnTx [B,G,R], Deadguy Ale, Maverick, Elves, Enchantress [WG/GU], Goblins, (Shardless) BUG, Food Chain, Aluren, High tide (reset/spiral), UR delver, RUG delver, Grixis Delver, Reanimator, Lands, Dark Depths (turbo / selesnya / hoogaak)

Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value. A.E. (1879 - 1955)

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

If you do go the tokens route, I'd suggest trying out Bloodforged Battle-Axe. I honestly think that card has a place in legacy stoneblade somewhere .

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    I've tried the card in Junk, which had a lot of similarities but I was playing Tarmogoyfs. It's ok, but nowhere near as good as Jitte/BSkull/Sword of X&Y. It combos with Lingering Souls very well, creates a fast clock, and it's cheap to cast at only 1 mana. I think it might be ok, but I would want to commit to playing 4x Lingering Souls to make sure it connects and does its thing.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Every once in awhile I have to stop in and bother you guys about not running Blossom. Whenever I land it in something like Esper it's one of the best cards in the deck. It beats up Lands, most fair decks, plays with Equips really well, and it punishes control MUs pretty frequently. Like Souls it's pretty garbagy against combo; but it's truly a must answer card.

When you're not even running LotV, I can't see the justification of running souls instead. We can talk about the "speed" of souls, but there's a world of difference between "Cast for 3 (or 4), cast for 2 (or 3)" and "Cast T2, never pay any more mana and continue building your board, equipping, etc.."

I think, at least, the Stoneforge versions should be attempting to play it. If you drop SFM, you may have that extra mana lying around, but if you drop Blossom T2 (which most decks can't even answer) you can be gaining advantage all game, drop that SFM later for a Jitte, and your opponent just has to watch (especially with all of your discard.)

Anyway.. I'll bother you guys in another several months :p
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

It's a tad silly to have an end all be all rule for fetching equipment. If i'm against an unknown opponent in game 1 and they don't do anything that 100% defines what they are playing, i'm more than likely going to get a batterskull. If my SFM doesn't get removed that gives you the ability to start applying a massive amount of pressure early on and even if it does get removed you're still up a card. Against delver decks batterskull is more than likely game over and most DGA are playing a decent amount of ways to protect it i.e. you discard their removal spell, you bait it out with another creature, etc.

If you aren't playing batterskull I would 100% recommend playing that card. We tend to play pretty underwhelming creatures so having 5 copies of a giant beating idiot is very good. Also batterskull gives you the ability to grind in the late game when you and your opponent are both hellbent. It's not ideal but if they kill the germ token you can repeatedly pay 8 mana to put it into play.

Good day.

Update on current list (sans Stoneforge). Went 7-1 vs grixis and 2-1 vs maverick. Freebooter has been great, and Thalia wins games almost on her own, and with a jitte shes unstoppable. having both lilis on the table feels awesome. While the list could use some minor tweaks the core has felt really stable. Having threats that need to be answered immediately has been worth the loss of batterskull so far. id like to find a touch more filtering/draw, but only maybe one or two cards worth.

Thread Information