Page 307 of 319 FirstFirst ... 207257297303304305306307308309310311317 ... LastLast
Results 6,121 to 6,140 of 6380

Thread: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

IMO, one of the biggest advantages to Chrome Mox is the ability to survive T1 Blood Moons that much more often have have more "virtual 1-drops" to start the game strong against Chalice.

I think you should be running some regular Thalia in here; T1 Thalias are *insanely* strong against blue/combo; including all of the moon/chalice/etc decks. One of the best lines you could do with DRS was T1 DRS T2 Thalia + Wasteland. Those lines still exist with Moxen and (imo) should be taken advantage of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    How many opponent's played around Marit Lage? Fairly decent opportunity for virtual card advantage here.
    Oh i definitely see people play around my phantom marot lage all the time. People think im a weird turbo depths deck when i play hexmage early. He eats removal that should be directed at Bob fairly frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by tescrin View Post
    IMO, one of the biggest advantages to Chrome Mox is the ability to survive T1 Blood Moons that much more often have have more "virtual 1-drops" to start the game strong against Chalice.

I think you should be running some regular Thalia in here; T1 Thalias are *insanely* strong against blue/combo; including all of the moon/chalice/etc decks. One of the best lines you could do with DRS was T1 DRS T2 Thalia + Wasteland. Those lines still exist with Moxen and (imo) should be taken advantage of.
    Regular Thalia makes too many of my own spells expensive. Lili and lingering souls at 4 instead of 3 and bitterblossom and jitte at 3 instead of 2 is a big difference, and makes my own game more susceptible to wasteland. Ive sideboarded it in the past, but its so anti-synergistic with the number of noncreature spells i run its not the direction i decided to go. I can t1 hymn off of a chrome mox, or double thoughtseize, or canonist post board which has been fine for me in combo matchups while not interfering with my own tempo.

Moon and chalice decks arent that scary for me. Hexmage makes chalice pretty harmless, and chrome mox and a decent number of basics gives me outs to blood moon. I get the power of Lil Thalia, but she doesnt work in creature-light lists as well as she does in ones that run 20+ creatures and/or vial in my experience

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Your new 1-drop is here! Evasive for equips and makes running Lingering Souls a bona-fide engine. I am super excited to try this with my Bloodghast/Souls/Hidden Stockpile list. I think the place to cut is likely Liliana of the Veil at this point. This card does work alongside SFM and is more efficient at getting hands empty of anything relevant. Pretty excited about this card, honestly (coming from a guy that looks at his Cabal Interrogator a couple times a year and wonder if its good enough.)

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Your new 1-drop is here! Evasive for equips and makes running Lingering Souls a bona-fide engine. I am super excited to try this with my Bloodghast/Souls/Hidden Stockpile list. I think the place to cut is likely Liliana of the Veil at this point. This card does work alongside SFM and is more efficient at getting hands empty of anything relevant. Pretty excited about this card, honestly (coming from a guy that looks at his Cabal Interrogator a couple times a year and wonder if its good enough.)
    As someone who runs bitterblossom and lingering souls, this card seems legit. No idea where ill find the slots for it, but it definitely fits the deck and i look forward to shredding some hands with this guy. I personally dont want to cut LotV, because the -2 has saved me more times than I can count, but ill find some way to shoehorn this guy in.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

(coming from a guy that looks at his Cabal Interrogator a couple times a year and wonder if its good enough.)
    Honestly Interrogator could be good enough in DGA if you've got a lot of spare mana (I.E. not running Lingering souls, having no issues with equip mana.) He's CA where Therapist is usually just quality advantage (assuming you hit.)

NOTE: Unlike cabal therapy, if you sac a Sculler you CAN NOT hit the card that sculler gives back to them. Therapy is a cost, Therapist's sac is in the triggered ability with (essentially) an intervening if ('when you do'.) So therapy allows you to arrange them on the stack the way you want (you control both effects and they go on the stack at the same time.)

Therapist's ability will, instead, put the trigger on the stack after it finishes resolving.
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

If we build around Therapist, certain patterns emerge immediately.
    4x Therapist

First, we need card advantage and/or spare creatures to offset the activations:
    4x Dark Confidant
    4x Bitterblossom
    4x Lingering Souls

Next, we need to make this swarm of creatures combat viable:
    2-4 Stoneforge Mystic
    2-4 Equipment of choice

When picking 1cmc discard, we can consider the extra creatures we expect to be generating:
    2-4 Cabal Therapy
    2-6 Thoughtseize/Inquision

2cmc discard seems less relevant in the face of repeated, focused discard.
    0 Hymn to Tourach

Removal:
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    1-3 Other

Planeswalkers:
    3-4 Liliana of the Veil
    0-1 Liliana, Last Hope
    Xx others?

Curve is fairly low at the moment
    20-22 lands total
    4 Wasteland
    0-4 Mishra's Factory
    0-2 Karakas

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Don't forget about Hidden Stockpile, i think a strong sleeper card that works very well with tokens and possibly this new toy.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrislegend View Post
    4x Bitterblossom

Thoughts?
    I am a big fan of Blossom. I was the guy telling everyone to run blossom before SDT was banned because it's good and helped trounce miracles. As that guy I have to say that 4 is too many. I was always pretty happy with 3. Enough that one can be countered/destroyed and you can still find another, but not so many that you have dead copies (or kill yourself.)

It's important to remember that Blossom's damage is geometric (0, 1, 3, 6, 10, 15), but it's lifeloss is linear (1, 2, 3, 4.) Because of this when you drop a second blossom you're putting yourself in the position that your geometric curve may not pay off against he double-linear lifeloss in time. Eventually (with unlimited health) it's no contest; but on an open board it's much tougher to say.

I'll also mention that you should run SoLaS or BSK next to your Jitte if you're running blossoms. The loss of DRS hurt blossom as much as it helped (you don't get bolted every turn by an opposing DRS next to blossom, but you also can't gain life with a dork.) So I'd recommend having two equips that give you life unless blossom is a 1-of or so.

3-1 so far at Syracuse. Beat dragon stompy, reanimator and grixis delver. Lost to dragon stompy

5-2. Beat uw stoneblade and eldrazi. Lost to ub shadow. 2 more rounds to go today...

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Fight the good fight! Win glory!
    Brainstorm Realist

Sep 2011

There wasn't enough discussion on my thread, so I'll just post here. I can see Therapist either going in a tokens build or a hatebears build.

Paleguy Ted (tokens/value version)

//Creatures: 12
    4 Cabal Therapist
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Stoneforge Mystic

//Spells: 17
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Thoughtseize
    3 Cabal Therapy
    4 Lingering Souls
    2 Vindicate

//Enchantments: 4
    3 Bitterblossom
    1 Hidden Stockpile

//Artifacts: 5
    2 Chrome Mox
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    1 Batterskull

//Planeswalkers: 2
    2 Liliana of the Veil

//Lands: 20
    4 Wasteland
    4 Scrubland
    4 Marsh Flats
    2 Polluted Delta
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 Swamp
    1 Plains
    1 Karakas

//Sideboard: 15
    3 Zealous Persecution
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Disenchant
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Palace Jailer
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope

Maybe even more Palace Jailers would be good. Tokens should make it easy to stay the monarch or take it back.

Or creatures version

//Creatures: 26
    4 Mother of Runes
    3 Cabal Therapist
    3 Thraben Inspector
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Skirsdag High Priest
    2 Mirran Crusader

//Spells: 9
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Thoughtseize
    3 Cabal Therapy

//Enchantments: 3
    2 Bitterblossom
    1 Hidden Stockpile

//Artifacts: 3
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    1 Batterskull

//Lands: 20
    4 Wasteland
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Scrubland
    4 Marsh Flats
    2 Swamp
    1 Plains
    1 Karakas

//Sideboard: 15
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Blighted Pontiff
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Orzhov Pontiff
    1 Zealous Persecution
    1 Swords to Plowshares

6-3. 78th. Ugh. Just missed cutoff. Will post report anyway later

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    Still decent! How many players? I've got some friends from Maine grinding on in day 2.
    Brainstorm Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    Tough break, but glad to see the strong showing. Look forward to your report.

Re: Hidden Stockpile discussions above, what has been peoples experience with it? Does it do work or end up being awkward? Might try a 1 or 2 of, but on the fence

Played Dead Guy Ale as usual at SCG Syracuse last weekend. Lost my win and in, in the final round. So close to day 2. Oh well.

4 Dark confidant
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Remorseful Cleric
    1 Shriekmaw
    1 Hero of Bladehold
    1 Gurmag Angler
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Cabal Therapy
    1 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Hymn to Tourach
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    2 Liliana, the Last Hope
    2 Vindicate
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull
    3 Lingering Souls
    3 Chrome Mox
    4 Scrubland
    3 Swamp
    1 Plains
    1 Karakas
    1 Shambling Vent
    4 Wasteland
    4 Marsh Flats
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Bloodstained Mire

Board. 1 leyline of Sanctity, 1 Leyline of the VOid, 1 Faerie Macabre, 1 Surgical Extraction, 1 Zealous Persecution, 1 Engineered Explosives, 1 Toxic Deluge, 1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar, 1 Humility, 1 Collective Brutality, 1 Alms Collector, 1 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, 1 Sanctum Prelate, 1 Containment Priest, 1 Tsabo's Web

Round 1. Red Stompy. Joseph Merwin. Win 2-0.
    Game 1. Turn 1 Bob. He does turn 1 Chalice on 1. I do turn 2 Lingering Souls. He does a Trinisphere I think turn 2. My turn 3 is Hero of Bladehold. He doesn't have the removal or Ensnaring Bridge and promptly dies to the army.
    Game 2. I can't remember anything in this game, only that his hate didn't line up with my board state/hand.

Round 2. Reanimator. Michael Plummer. Win 2-0
    Game 1. My opener has a Thoughtseize, another 1 mana discard spell and a Karakas. Hero of Bladehold ends this game too.
    Game 2. My opening 7 has a Leyline of the void and a turn 1 Thalia Guardian of Thraben. lol. My Thalia gets dazed but I'm able to resolve a Gurmag Angler and a Bob. Alms Collector is flashed in for exactly enough to kill.

Round 3. Grixis Delver. Edward Whiteside. Win 2-1
    Game 1. I do a turn 1 Stoneforge Mystic. He responds by brainstorming (he had mulled to 5)....and then scooping. I put him on UR Delver (i wasn't insanely far off) since Show and tell decks don't care about a Stoneforge.
    Game 2. I die to a TNN and Delver of Secrets.
    Game 3. Batterskull gets there.

Round 4. Red Stompy. Joseph Rufrano (sp). Lose 2-0
    Game 1. My turn 1 Bob gets trumped by a Chandra, Torch of Defiance. Boo urns.
    Game 2. I have him down to 1 but I can't answer the Ensnaring Bridge. I die to Chandra 5 damage Emblem.

Round 5. Eldrazi. Paul Haigh. Win 2-0
    Both games equipment get there. Chalice on 1 is only slightly annoying based on my hand

Round 6. UW Stoneblade. Noah Kravitz. Win 2-1.
    Game 1. SOFI and Batterskull get there.
    Game 2. Back to Basics gets 3 of my lands....which is all my lands.
    Game 3. His cantrips don't find much. I have Liliana of the Veil and Liliana, the Last Hope in play at the same time. And I get to ultimate both to win.

Round 7. UB Shadow. Abraham Stein. Lose 2-0
    Game 1. My Lilly, Last Hope isn't enough to stop Death's Shadow.
    Game 2. He floods the board with 2 Shadow, 1 angler and a Delver. I draw no answers.

Round 8. Eldrazi. Patrick Page. Win 2-0
    I have a turn 1 bob that is met with a Chalice on 1.....

Game 2. He draws kinda poorly and i'm able to answer what threats he is able to play. In the end he had only a City of Traitors in play and 3 Smashers in hand.....hmmmm or was that game 1?

Round 9. UB Show and tell. Corey Adams. Lose 2-0
    Game 1. I mull to 5. Mystic, Cleric, 3 lands. He seizes and takes my Mystic. Lol, still i almost got there with flying pegasus beatdowns, followed by a Mystic for a SOFI. I did a mistake though. He had a Jace on 1 counter....I had a Cleric and Mystic with SOFI on Mystic....I should have switched the sword to the cleric for that extra damage to Corey. That mattered in the end......at 3 life he show and tells Omniscience into Emrakul. FUnny thing is that he couldn't swing since he would die on swing back and I have a ton of useless lands to sacrifice (and I'm at 18 life). So it was draw go for at least 4 turns.....if i had switched equipment earlier, I would have won.
    Game 2. He casts Murderous Cut on my Sanctum Prelate on 3, so he could show and tell Omniscience Emrakul.....

-Losing the win and into day 2 kinda sucked. Turns out too that 6-2-1 would have made it too but ID at 6-2 is super risky.
    -Hero of Bladehold kill count. 2. I joked to my friends that it's kind of a low count. But they said I should be surprised I got any.
    -Had I think at least 8 turn 1 2 drops. 1 Hymn. 1 Thalia (got countered). At least 3 bobs. 2 Mystics I think.
    -didn't face any Miracles, Grixis Control, Death and Taxes, Lands or GB Depths. A bit surprised.
    -Tsabo's web was kinda useless. Leyline of the Void was very good. lol.
    -maindeck MVP was Bob. only vs UB shadow did he fail me. 2nd place was Lingering Souls + Jitte or SOFI. Took out a few people with that.
    -sideboard MVP. none really. Leyline of the Void showed up when I needed it. Could have used Collective Brutality vs Red Stompy to win a game.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by Notion Thief View Post
    Re: Hidden Stockpile discussions above, what has been peoples experience with it? Does it do work or end up being awkward? Might try a 1 or 2 of, but on the fence
    I like it. Provides value for just playing the normal course if the game, fetching and throwing a spirit to chump become opportunities. Plus the scry is something that's always welcome in a blue-less deck. New toys being spoiled might push it out, but for now it's fun to resolve and play with.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    I like it. Provides value for just playing the normal course if the game, fetching and throwing a spirit to chump become opportunities. Plus the scry is something that's always welcome in a blue-less deck. New toys being spoiled might push it out, but for now it's fun to resolve and play with.
    The scry seems nice in this list. Anything to dig for useful cards is a plus. A sac outlet to make Lili LH a better engine vs miracles is a thing too. Sac in response to a plow or terminus can let you rebuild faster if lili is online by putting bob and the like in the yard to dig back up. Wonder if i can splash an abyssal persecutor or two if i add stockpiles...

As for new toys, Im revising my optimism on cabal therapist. I didnt notice at first his ability can only trigger at the beginning of your main phase, not any time during it pre-combat. Makes it somewhat less impressive than at first glance since it needs to live a turn to do anything.

Went 4-1-2 today in a 40 person tournament. Lost in the quarter finals. Tried out one Kaya, Orzhov Usurper in the sideboard.

Didn't do a ton. Exiled an aether Vial. Got a lot of laughs vs a UR Delver player who decided to force it...also saw Shambling Vent and Remorseful Cleric. lol. And I won that game too. Kaya Highlight is I ultimated vs Tin fins to kill that player for exactly 20 damage.

Probably going to keep kaya in the sideboard for now.

Thread Information