Page 210 of 320 FirstFirst ... 110160200206207208209210211212213214220260310 ... LastLast
Results 4,181 to 4,200 of 6383

Thread: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    Reanimate a Chandra Pyromaster?? How did you manage to do that?

Megadeus. Yeah I find I board in my Revokers quite a bit. Sneak attack, Aether Vial, Grindstone, Lion's Eye Diamond etc. So many juicy targets.
    sorin ultimate. it targets plainswalkers too. I should've said kill-reanimate tho.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Yep. Revoker shuts down LED, Mox Diamond, Lotus Petal, Noble Hierarc. All that good stuff as well as jace, lily, and all that good stuff. Only thing that it really can't stop is thespian stage. Card is definitely solid. I am testing 2 MD now in place of a restoration Angel and a hymn to tourach
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Yep. Revoker shuts down LED, Mox Diamond, Lotus Petal, Noble Hierarc. All that good stuff as well as jace, lily, and all that good stuff. Only thing that it really can't stop is thespian stage. Card is definitely solid. I am testing 2 MD now in place of a restoration Angel and a hymn to tourach
    I might actually move the opposite direction. Lately I just keep running into RUG and feeling like my two Revokers main are just dead, and I don't know that I've ever sided the third one in. At the same time I'm not really sure what I'd replace them with, probably the 4th Sculler and something else that's x/2.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Is Restoration Angel more valuable for its body, or its etb? If the latter, isn't Cloudshift always just better? I see that it's kind of just a fun card, just curious mostly - but the idea of recurring SFM or Sculler or any good creature that has an ETB effect is appealing imho

sent from phone, don't be a dick
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I play it more for a non decayable, non bolt/pfire able, flash, flying body that can kill a jace if they don't +2 it. The blink effect is simply icing. If I really wanted a flicker effect I would play flickerwisp. Being immune to the most popular non white removal spells while flying over a ground stall or killing a walker is really why I like it. And again, I'm not saying it is right. Simply what I want to play with.

As for revoker, my meta generally every deck has at least 1 decent target. Not much RUG delver here so it is generally pretty good, and having a game 1 way to shut down top from miracles seems like something I want
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I play it more for a non decayable, non bolt/pfire able, flash, flying body that can kill a jace if they don't +2 it. The blink effect is simply icing. If I really wanted a flicker effect I would play flickerwisp. Being immune to the most popular non white removal spells while flying over a ground stall or killing a walker is really why I like it. And again, I'm not saying it is right. Simply what I want to play with.
    Word. It does OHKO Jace doesn't it? Didn't even notice.

I feel strangely obligated to point out that Restoration Angel will instantly flip Exalted Angel. Not that this is by any means amazing - and would make the deck very top-heavy. But I have pet cards too, haha

sent from phone, don't be a dick
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Quote Originally Posted by ThediscoPower View Post
    sorin ultimate. it targets plainswalkers too. I should've said kill-reanimate tho.
    Ah gotcha. When you say Reanimate, that threw me off. I was thinking...you know Reanimate, the spell. Then I was thinking...is there a way to change the type of a card in the Graveyard? lol.

People tend to mix up Phyrexian Revoker and Pithing Needle quite often. I saw a match last weekend where it happened twice. Someone tried to name Marsh Flats with Revoker and then in another instance an opponent has no lands but a chrome mox....thoughtseizes his opponent and doesn't take the Revoker. Opponent then plays the Revoker and names Chrome Mox, shutting it down.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    Ah gotcha. When you say Reanimate, that threw me off. I was thinking...you know Reanimate, the spell. Then I was thinking...is there a way to change the type of a card in the Graveyard? lol.

People tend to mix up Phyrexian Revoker and Pithing Needle quite often. I saw a match last weekend where it happened twice. Someone tried to name Marsh Flats with Revoker and then in another instance an opponent has no lands but a chrome mox....thoughtseizes his opponent and doesn't take the Revoker. Opponent then plays the Revoker and names Chrome Mox, shutting it down.
    Indeed. I'm glad people don't fully understand how good revoker is. I've had plenty of games so far be t2 sculler your removal spell, revoke your top (vs miracles) and suddenly their deck is real bad

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

Considering testing Pack Rat. Minimal Sweepers in the format, turns every bad top decks into pack rat if left alone will take over the game. Just like it does in standard.

Jul 2013
    Texas

The list I'm working on keeps oscillating between Junk/Rock and deadguy. This is what came to me tonight:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Blade Splicer

4 Abrupt Decay
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Thoughtseize
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Cabal Therapy
    1 Oblivion Ring
    1 Read the Bones

1 Batterskull
    1 umezawa's jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

3 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Ajani, Caller of the Pride

4 Wasteland
    4 Marsh Flats
    3 Scrubland
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Bayou
    2 Windswept Heath
    2 Swamp
    1 Plains

3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Toxic Deluge
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Karakas
    1 Oblivion Ring
    1 Diabolic Edict
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Gaddock Teeg

I love lingering souls, but it was mucking with my ability to sideboard. I really want Thalia and RiP and Souls sucks with both. Then it hit me: Blade Splicer does a lot of what I want to get from Souls. It produces multiple bodies and 4 power from one card. No evasion though. So I'm trying Ajani: it's cute, but 1) I don't have Elspeth 2) Even if I did, 4 mana is a lot 3) double strike + any of the equipment is so spicy. Coming down t2 and growing the DRS into a legit threat doesn't suck either. And of course it jumps a Golem into 6 power in the air. Then they have to remove it or the golem just gets bigger.

On the hunt for a Savannah and a Top to replace a Bayou and Read the Bones, if not I run with this Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    The list I'm working on keeps oscillating between Junk/Rock and deadguy. This is what came to me tonight:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Blade Splicer

4 Abrupt Decay
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Thoughtseize
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Cabal Therapy
    1 Oblivion Ring
    1 Read the Bones

1 Batterskull
    1 umezawa's jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

3 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Ajani, Caller of the Pride

4 Wasteland
    4 Marsh Flats
    3 Scrubland
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Bayou
    2 Windswept Heath
    2 Swamp
    1 Plains

3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Toxic Deluge
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Karakas
    1 Oblivion Ring
    1 Diabolic Edict
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Gaddock Teeg

I love lingering souls, but it was mucking with my ability to sideboard. I really want Thalia and RiP and Souls sucks with both. Then it hit me: Blade Splicer does a lot of what I want to get from Souls. It produces multiple bodies and 4 power from one card. No evasion though. So I'm trying Ajani: it's cute, but 1) I don't have Elspeth 2) Even if I did, 4 mana is a lot 3) double strike + any of the equipment is so spicy. Coming down t2 and growing the DRS into a legit threat doesn't suck either. And of course it jumps a Golem into 6 power in the air. Then they have to remove it or the golem just gets bigger.

On the hunt for a Savannah and a Top to replace a Bayou and Read the Bones, if not I run with this Monday.
    Deck seems fine. 2 points though. Never tried WW1 Ajani before. With a creature on board he's great.....as a top deck on empty board it's kinda meh.

And Read the Bones is interesting. Hmmm.....IMO it would be better off being either a Sensei's Divining Top or a Phyrexian Arena.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

He did say he would replace Read with a Top if he could get one.

And Blade Splicer is interesting (especially with Resto Angel ) but the other reason souls is so good because against blue decks, not only do they have to kill 2 men if it resolves, but it also must be countered by 2 spells. Not saying Splicer is necessarily bad, but just citing the strength of souls. Also Splicer isnt quite as good vs Jace, tarmogoyf, or TNN unfortunately.

Jul 2013
    Texas

He did say he would replace Read with a Top if he could get one.

And Blade Splicer is interesting (especially with Resto Angel ) but the other reason souls is so good because against blue decks, not only do they have to kill 2 men if it resolves, but it also must be countered by 2 spells. Not saying Splicer is necessarily bad, but just citing the strength of souls. Also Splicer isnt quite as good vs Jace, tarmogoyf, or TNN unfortunately.
    I actually landed on the Splicer idea while thinking about potential Resto Angel shenanigans after reading your posts. Kitchen Finks also crossed my mind — resetting that mid-combat and getting a 3/4 flyer seems pretty good. I felt Finks was too susceptible to StP though.

The thing about Splicer & counters is that it only really dies to FoW and Daze and isn't hit by Flusterstorm or Spell Pierce. Daze you can play around easily, and Force still two-for-ones them.

I have lots of other ways to deal with a Goyf, and if I have a Splicer, that's the kind of board presence I don't mind representing since I can swing back against a 4/5 Goyf and stay even. If it's bigger, I can just chump with the Splicer and swing back for 3 with the golem, potentially getting ahead.

Vs. TNN, my plan even with souls was to use equipment to get ahead from behind. Before, if I had 3+ Souls tokens vs. a board with nothing but TNN (so that i can stay ahead of their crackbacks), I probably was going to win even if that was one golem. If they are holding TNN back to block, that gives me time to find SoFI and stick it to something. Meanwhile, I'm less susceptible to Spell Pierce/Flusterstorm and my own Thalias postboard.

It's clearly more difficult to deal with Jace, but I have discard, Oblivion Ring, and Wasteland to make it hard to land it. Postboard Thalia, Revoker, Needle all come into play.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

That's a fair point. I'm not gonna tell someone to not play a card. It doesn't seem terrible. A dedicated restoration Angel deck seems fun ;)

Though not as fun as a deaths shadow dead guy deck I've been brewing

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

I actually landed on the Splicer idea while thinking about potential Resto Angel shenanigans after reading your posts. Kitchen Finks also crossed my mind — resetting that mid-combat and getting a 3/4 flyer seems pretty good. I felt Finks was too susceptible to StP though.

The thing about Splicer & counters is that it only really dies to FoW and Daze and isn't hit by Flusterstorm or Spell Pierce. Daze you can play around easily, and Force still two-for-ones them.

I have lots of other ways to deal with a Goyf, and if I have a Splicer, that's the kind of board presence I don't mind representing since I can swing back against a 4/5 Goyf and stay even. If it's bigger, I can just chump with the Splicer and swing back for 3 with the golem, potentially getting ahead.

Vs. TNN, my plan even with souls was to use equipment to get ahead from behind. Before, if I had 3+ Souls tokens vs. a board with nothing but TNN (so that i can stay ahead of their crackbacks), I probably was going to win even if that was one golem. If they are holding TNN back to block, that gives me time to find SoFI and stick it to something. Meanwhile, I'm less susceptible to Spell Pierce/Flusterstorm and my own Thalias postboard.

It's clearly more difficult to deal with Jace, but I have discard, Oblivion Ring, and Wasteland to make it hard to land it. Postboard Thalia, Revoker, Needle all come into play.
    TBH, it looks like your list is a little all over the place. I'd cut all the 1-ofs (besides equipment), because you don't have any real card selection (I count Bob as advantage, but not selection). I'd cut the Therapies too because you aren't really running a creature base that wants to take advantage of them, and 8 discard plus 3 Lili is going to leave you with a bunch of dead draws in the mid/late game. If you're really wanting to run Thalia from the board, I'd replace all that stuff with some utility creatures. Sculler, Revoker, the 4th SFM, hell maybe even Goyf since you don't really have much in the way of offense/defense right now.

I'd also seriously look at ditching Splicer for something with more impact. A 3/3 with no evasion for 3 just isn't going to do much for your board position, and the 1/1 is basically negligible. Serra Avenger, Brimaz, Goyf, Mirran Crusader, all solid choices. Maybe even Hero of Bladehold if you're losing some of the 3-drops.

Lastly, I'm pretty sure Zealous Persecution is far better than Toxic Deluge for this deck.

Reading over that, it all comes of harsher than I intended, but I was basically in the same place with the deck several months ago, and I've had much, much better results since abandoning the idea that I need to have an answer for every situation maindeck and just focusing on having an actual plan for winning rather than just reacting to everything. I'm not saying my specific build is the best, but I really think that in colors without good draw filtering, you really need to design for consistency and focus.

OTOH, if you're putting up results...don't change anything!
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Jul 2013
    Texas

TBH, it looks like your list is a little all over the place. I'd cut all the 1-ofs (besides equipment), because you don't have any real card selection (I count Bob as advantage, but not selection). I'd cut the Therapies too because you aren't really running a creature base that wants to take advantage of them, and 8 discard plus 3 Lili is going to leave you with a bunch of dead draws in the mid/late game. If you're really wanting to run Thalia from the board, I'd replace all that stuff with some utility creatures. Sculler, Revoker, the 4th SFM, hell maybe even Goyf since you don't really have much in the way of offense/defense right now.

I'd also seriously look at ditching Splicer for something with more impact. A 3/3 with no evasion for 3 just isn't going to do much for your board position, and the 1/1 is basically negligible. Serra Avenger, Brimaz, Goyf, Mirran Crusader, all solid choices. Maybe even Hero of Bladehold if you're losing some of the 3-drops.

Lastly, I'm pretty sure Zealous Persecution is far better than Toxic Deluge for this deck.

Reading over that, it all comes of harsher than I intended, but I was basically in the same place with the deck several months ago, and I've had much, much better results since abandoning the idea that I need to have an answer for every situation maindeck and just focusing on having an actual plan for winning rather than just reacting to everything. I'm not saying my specific build is the best, but I really think that in colors without good draw filtering, you really need to design for consistency and focus.

OTOH, if you're putting up results...don't change anything!
    no offense taken. I'm testing a lot of different builds of decks the next few weeks in preparation for an SCG, just trying to figure out how certain things work in certain situations. There are some cards that I agree I want. Trouble is, I can't get my hands on Goyfs (been offering 8x scalding tarn for a set for a while, no one has taken me up). Brimaz is probably the right answer but I'm waiting on it until I see where it settles pricewise.

I like Mirran Crusader, but I don't know how much B/G to expect and it just dies to bolt/stp for nothing too often. Have you ever tested Blade Splicer? Honest question — i saw a little chat about it upthread but not much. It's almost always a two-for-one barring Stifle, and it does at least give you some value if the big guy is removed to block or stick a sword on. I also thought I would be able to sacrifice the splicer to Cabal Therapy, but I just might make the Therapies Hymns. (I do love the extra turn 1 play against combo though).

I'll check back in Monday and tell you you were right, I'm sure

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

no offense taken. I'm testing a lot of different builds of decks the next few weeks in preparation for an SCG, just trying to figure out how certain things work in certain situations. There are some cards that I agree I want. Trouble is, I can't get my hands on Goyfs (been offering 8x scalding tarn for a set for a while, no one has taken me up). Brimaz is probably the right answer but I'm waiting on it until I see where it settles pricewise.

I like Mirran Crusader, but I don't know how much B/G to expect and it just dies to bolt/stp for nothing too often. Have you ever tested Blade Splicer? Honest question — i saw a little chat about it upthread but not much. It's almost always a two-for-one barring Stifle, and it does at least give you some value if the big guy is removed to block or stick a sword on. I also thought I would be able to sacrifice the splicer to Cabal Therapy, but I just might make the Therapies Hymns. (I do love the extra turn 1 play against combo though).

I'll check back in Monday and tell you you were right, I'm sure
    I'm partial to Crusader, but then I'm also running Moms. Immunity to Decay and the ability to swing past Goyf, Germ Tokens, Mongeese, etc. is pretty huge, and double strike with equipment just gets really silly, Jitte and SoFi especially.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Sacrificing blade splicer to therapy just sounds dope. Yeah the reason I have been cutting hymns is simply because between 4 thought seize, 3 sculler, and 3 Liliana, I have a lot of discard and top decking hymn makes me sad. Same goes for therapy. I like sculler and lily because they aren't terrible late game.

Also I'll probably just be cutting a souls for the second Angel to come back. It's probably terrible, but I don't care

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Sacrificing blade splicer to therapy just sounds dope. Yeah the reason I have been cutting hymns is simply because between 4 thought seize, 3 sculler, and 3 Liliana, I have a lot of discard and top decking hymn makes me sad. Same goes for therapy. I like sculler and lily because they aren't terrible late game.

Also I'll probably just be cutting a souls for the second Angel to come back. It's probably terrible, but I don't care
    If you're just saccing it to Therapy, you might as well run Doomed Traveler. I think a 1/1 flyer is generally more useful in an equipment deck than a vanilla 3/3.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

If you're just saccing it to Therapy, you might as well run Doomed Traveler. I think a 1/1 flyer is generally more useful in an equipment deck than a vanilla 3/3.
    Thats probably true. BW Humans anyone? I wanna try a Deadguy shell with Xathrid Necromancer too... So many shells to test

Thread Information