Page 211 of 319 FirstFirst ... 111161201207208209210211212213214215221261311 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,220 of 6380

Thread: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Shine On
    Oct 2009
    Canada

Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

I've been testing this lately, to good results. Thought I'd put it up in here for you guys to check out, doesn't seem like it belongs anywhere else.

Dark Taxes

3 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Serra Avenger
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Tidehollow Sculler

4 Aether Vial
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Jitte
    1 Batterskull

4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    2 Karakas
    3 Marsh Flats
    3 Windswept Heath
    3 Scrubland
    1 Savannah
    3 Plains

I started testing it because I like how Confidant just keeps the gas coming. The Creature-base is designed for Vial @ 2, otherwise I would for sure have some Mirran Crusaders in there somewhere. Scullers have been interesting so far - they get boarded out a lot but are great G1 vs Miracles.

I also have 2-3 Teeg and 1-2 Grip in the SB (Hence Savannah). Mana base is smooth and has yet to give me problems, even against opposing wastelands.

I know people will say DRS is sort of redundant w/ Vial, but it allows you some sweet openers of DRS -> 2 drop + waste when you don't have vial, as well as filling out the 1 drop spot with Mom and being a generally awesome piece of cardboard.

Haven't yet gotten around to testing Thoughtseize out of the board but it's an option. 4 slots is a lot, however, and Hatebears usually seal up the control / combo MUs anyway.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Went 3-0-1 and chopped top 8 today (we wanted to go home/go to the bar) with my list. Didn't end up cutting my 4th souls for a restoration angel like I said I would.

R1: Merfolk
    I TS him, see Lord of Atlantis, Merfolk of the Pearl Trident, TNN, and Daze. I take TNN. He casts a merfolk. I play DRS. He plays another folk. I untap and swords one and play a SFM to bait out daze, then next turn rip a sculler which gets to be a grizzly bear since he only has island in hand. I sit back with sculler while I simply build up mana to hardcast the batterskull in my hand. It gets there. G2, he had a similarly slow hand and I end up vindicating a merfolk and just getting Jitte on a souls token which eventually gets up to 8 counters and deals him lethal. Boarding was like... -2 Thoughtseize, +1 EPlague, +1 ETutor. Seems like a poor board plan, but I wanted a way to at least try to beat TNN and Zealous seemed kinda weak.

R2: Sneak and Show
    G1 I Sculler him and he forces. He has mountain, double Island and casts SnT. I figure if he has emrakul I should put in Bob to hope for the singleton Karakas. If Sneak Attack I'm solid. He puts in Sneak Attack. I Vindicate his mountain, and sculler him taking emrakul at some point while his hand is double sneak attack. After his draw step just to make sure I build my own VClique with Angel and Sculler to make sure I dont die. I get there. G2 was annoying. I TS him. He Spell Pierces. I Sculler him and he forces, I cast Thalia, I get Revoker naming Sneak Attack, then he goes eot Intuition for SnT, shows an emrakul and I die to it. Derp. G3 He opens on Leyline. Yuck. Lucky my hand only really had sculler as targeted discard. I EOT ETutor for Revoker, cast it naming sneak attack and it resolves. He is cantripping a bit and kinda just doing nothing. I make Bob, then SFM at one point fetching Sword of FaI (have BSkull in hand already). He casts Intuition EOT getting Emrakul. Cast SnT putting in emrakul, I put in BSkull. He is on 12 life and he passes. I activate SFM putting in sword, equip Sword to revoker, then attack for 10 with Revoker, BSkull, and Bob. I'm at 15 exactly. He blocks batterskull, I draw and play land for turn off of SoFaI also since he had leyline out I make SoFaI shoot the revoker itself since it has 3 toughness now. I go to 19 life. He goes to 6. He attacks and annihilates me with 10 permanents in play. I keep Revoker, Sword, Bob, and a land. I am at 4. I have 1 card that kills me. Luckily instead of flipping resto angel I flip another Bob and swing in for exactsies. Board plan was -4 STP, -1 Jitte, +1 ETutor, +1 Revoker, +3 Thalia. Choke seemed meh so I didnt bring it in. I think I may have brought in a disenchant or two in G3 and took out a SFM and just went to 61 cards.

R3 BUG Food Chain
    G1 I dont really remember that well, but I think I eventually lose to his Deathrites. I had both revokers naming Food Chain to protect from decay, and I attempted to Resto Angel a Revoker to rename DRS the turn before I died but he had Venser to stop me. G2 I get Lingering souls and discard him down a bit and we are in a racing situation. My souls + Restoration Angel has him at lethal when he attacks. He miscounts his own life total because he a dummy and leaves himself open for exactsies. G3 I see he has obstinate baloths so I dont run into them, he is at 26 at one point, but lingering souls, restoration angel and deathrite eventually whittles him down ftw.

Again the deck felt great. Can't say I would change much. I did not miss the Hymns. I made one into a revoker and one into an Inquisition of Kozilek. Felt fine. Having main board revokers was awesome. And Angel actually proved to be quite awesome yet again as a 1 of. Mana was yet again somewhat awkward. Maybe I'll go to 3 Wasteland. Also I feel like I want a 9th fetch so Deathrite doesnt run out of food. Probably cut the Cave of Koilos. So sad :(

This now puts me at 9-2 in the past week since picking up this deck. Totally excited to play this at SCG Knox next month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Quote Originally Posted by MrShine View Post
    I've been testing this lately, to good results. Thought I'd put it up in here for you guys to check out, doesn't seem like it belongs anywhere else.

Dark Taxes

3 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Serra Avenger
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Tidehollow Sculler

4 Aether Vial
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Jitte
    1 Batterskull

4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    2 Karakas
    3 Marsh Flats
    3 Windswept Heath
    3 Scrubland
    1 Savannah
    3 Plains

I started testing it because I like how Confidant just keeps the gas coming. The Creature-base is designed for Vial @ 2, otherwise I would for sure have some Mirran Crusaders in there somewhere. Scullers have been interesting so far - they get boarded out a lot but are great G1 vs Miracles.

I also have 2-3 Teeg and 1-2 Grip in the SB (Hence Savannah). Mana base is smooth and has yet to give me problems, even against opposing wastelands.

I know people will say DRS is sort of redundant w/ Vial, but it allows you some sweet openers of DRS -> 2 drop + waste when you don't have vial, as well as filling out the 1 drop spot with Mom and being a generally awesome piece of cardboard.

Haven't yet gotten around to testing Thoughtseize out of the board but it's an option. 4 slots is a lot, however, and Hatebears usually seal up the control / combo MUs anyway.
    Seems fairly strong. Sculler is good but he's amazing in combination with Flickerwisp, so I was thinking you may want to reconsider the Vial@2 dedication. Shaman also seems kinda iffy but I wouldn't be surprised if he puts in work.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

So I had the chance to play a deadguy ale list splashing green yesterday for our monthly tournament. I decided to give it a spin because i wanted to take a break from maverick in general, and because the changes I wanted to make to my maverick list were important enough that it made me want to change decks altogether. Namely, I was brainstorming on cards I would like to have access to if I wanted to beat the recent surge of miracles and bug decks that I was seeing in my local meta, and cards like Bob, decay or liliana and lingering souls came up as the obvious good cards I wanted to have access to, and that was causing a problem to me for many reasons. First, I didn't actually have that much place in my list, as I was happy with it in general, and I just wanted to add a few things to give it an edge, however all the cards I wanted to play were simply too good to play only a few of. I was not happy with simply adding 2-3 bobs to my deck and call it a day, simply because I thought that it was wrong, those are simply not the kind of card you play a few copies of. Secondly, I found that even if I could fit all those cards in my deck somehow, it would make my deck very reliant on black, and in turn make me bad against wasteland. I am happy with a small reliance, like 2-3 decays, but to start adding a lot of cards altogether, my mana would be strained, green sun became worse and in turn it makes the hatebear approach worse. At that point, I just decided to cut the green sun's package altogether and to play deadguy, so I can play all the cards I actually want to play, and in bonus I can play the game where I get to play a high quality card each turn, and force my opponent to keep up with me.

so here's what I played :

Creatures [15]
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 brimaz, king of Oreos
    2 tidehollow sculler

Instants [7]
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Swords to Plowshares

Sorceries [9]
    4 Lingering Souls
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 inquisition of kosilek

Planeswalkers [3]
    3 Liliana of the Veil

Artifacts [4]
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 sword of fire and ice
    1 Sensei's Divining Top

Lands [22]
    1 Forest
    1 Plains
    2 Swamp
    2 Savannah
    3 Windswept Heath
    2 Bayou
    2 Scrubland
    2 Marsh Flats
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    1 karakas
    3 Wasteland

Sideboard
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Choke
    1 Humility
    1 Oblivion Ring
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Spirit of the Labyrinth
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Zealous Persecution
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 perish

So here's how it went :

uwr stoneblade 0-2
    mono red burn 2-0
    b/g reanimator/the rock home brew 2-0
    u/b mill combo? (yes, that's 2 homebrews in a row) 2-0
    shardless bug ID

then we split the top 8.

Overall, I loved the deck a lot, and I love how all the cards you play are all powerful cards on their own. Even the stoneblade match, both games were really close and could have gone either way, with me coming just short both times (especially since game 2 was a mull to 5). From there, the changes I am thinking about include adding the 4th wasteland (I played 3 because I did not think the manabase could take all 4, but after actually playing the deck it seems like it should be ok) and i am probably going to take out Brimaz because I do not think it's needed, and because liliana felt like a card you want 4 copies of for sure. It's either that or maybe elspeth or hero of bladehold, but I think I value the 4th liliana over those cards.

I will play this deck again in tournaments coming up now, and see how I fare against other kinds of decks. I dodged miracles and delvers and show and tell somehow yesterday.
    Last edited by ThediscoPower; 04-06-2014 at 08:52 PM. Reason: thoughts did not seem clear enough

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=65918

List that narrowly missed T8. Full 4 Tidehollow is interesting. Singletone Gatekeeper seems alright. I debated playing a singleton but decided it wasnt worth it. Very heavy on discard between 4 TS, 3 Hymn, 4 Tidehollow, and 3 Lily. A bit too heavy in my taste. Also 2 MB ORing that seems awkward, but hedging against SNT while still having some flexible removal is nice.
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post

List that narrowly missed T8. Full 4 Tidehollow is interesting. Singletone Gatekeeper seems alright. I debated playing a singleton but decided it wasnt worth it. Very heavy on discard between 4 TS, 3 Hymn, 4 Tidehollow, and 3 Lily. A bit too heavy in my taste. Also 2 MB ORing that seems awkward, but hedging against SNT while still having some flexible removal is nice.
    Interesting build for sure. Well, with Enlightened Tutor he can get the Oblivion Ring. Which I feel is really good for opposing Leyline of Sanctity, especially for his build since he is more discard than a lot of Deadguy decks I've seen.

I also like the Helm + RIP Combo with E. Tutor in board. Not sure I'll try it since it takes up quite a few sideboard slots but I like it.

Just noticed only 2 wastelands and no Deathrites. I guess it makes sense to go less wastelands because you don't have Deathrites for acceleration and fixing. But I definitely can't go less than 4 wastelands in a fair deck. And once I tried a Deathrite, LOL I can't go back on that either. Although I still only run 3.

Actually, just wondering....anyone try Spirit of the Labyrinth in the board? I have a flex slot that right now is Gaddock Teeg.

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    Interesting build for sure. Well, with Enlightened Tutor he can get the Oblivion Ring. Which I feel is really good for opposing Leyline of Sanctity, especially for his build since he is more discard than a lot of Deadguy decks I've seen.

I also like the Helm + RIP Combo with E. Tutor in board. Not sure I'll try it since it takes up quite a few sideboard slots but I like it.

Just noticed only 2 wastelands and no Deathrites. I guess it makes sense to go less wastelands because you don't have Deathrites for acceleration and fixing. But I definitely can't go less than 4 wastelands in a fair deck. And once I tried a Deathrite, LOL I can't go back on that either. Although I still only run 3.

Actually, just wondering....anyone try Spirit of the Labyrinth in the board? I have a flex slot that right now is Gaddock Teeg.
    The list does in fact have 4 Deathrites in the maindeck. Perhaps it wasn't up to date when you looked earlier.
    I couldn't see this deck not taking advantage of the acceleration that he provides, the ability to power out 3-drops and keep curve while still utilizing Wasteland is too crucial.
    I don't mind cutting down to two Wastelands in this case though since he appears to want to hit double black for Hymn and black/white for Sculler fairly regularly while still maintaining 5 basic lands. There might be some wiggle room in there to squeeze in a 3rd Wasteland though over a basic Swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by haganbmj View Post
    The list does in fact have 4 Deathrites in the maindeck. Perhaps it wasn't up to date when you looked earlier.
    I couldn't see this deck not taking advantage of the acceleration that he provides, the ability to power out 3-drops and keep curve while still utilizing Wasteland is too crucial.
    I don't mind cutting down to two Wastelands in this case though since he appears to want to hit double black for Hymn and black/white for Sculler fairly regularly while still maintaining 5 basic lands. There might be some wiggle room in there to squeeze in a 3rd Wasteland though over a basic Swamp.
    Ah ok. When I saw the list I didn't see any Deathrites.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I'm on 4 DRS and 4 Waste. I could see cutting down on waste, even in my build it feels a bit greedy and I dont even play Gatekeeper or Hymn right now. I just think it is too strong. I've won too many games on the back of double wasteland. I could see the ORing being decent. I got Leyline'd by SnT and it was rough on wednesday and I only won thanks to his misplay. But yeah DRS is insane in this deck. I mean, yeah it's insane in basically every deck, but I really like it here because being able to T2 discard yoru opponents only kill spell and then riding Bob to victory is just such a great game plan. I can't imagine cutting below 4.

Did you ever use Obedience/Rip Combo successfully?

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Not my list, but that's a good question

Aug 2012
    Madison, WI

The one thing that sticks out for me is the lack of main-deck Zealous Persecution. Hard to argue with the result, but I would probably hedge a little more and put at least one ZP main.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Took my list from above to the local last night with one change: I acquired a Russian Spirit of the Labyrinth in a trade and ran it over Read the Bones for funsies.

Edit: whoops, hit send by accident--stupid iPad. OK.

Rd. 1: I open with fetch-swamp-Therapy naming Daze. He reveals Mishras Factory, Magus of the Tabernacle, Armageddon, City of Traitors, Sinkhole, Nether Void, Wasteland. Wut. Turned out to be some sort of BW stax brew. I won game 1 but he locked me out of the post-board games with Crucible and wasteland/geddon. Cool deck but argh. I did have a neat play with Blade Splicer vs. the Abyss, but he got a Lili down. I felt like his deck was 90 cards because new answers kept coming.

Rd. 2: 2-0 vs. Infect. G1 he had a chance with an Inkmoth but sequenced incorrectly and I got em with Wasteland. G2 I got a Pithing Needle down on Inkmoth turn 2 and cruised.

Rd. 3: 0-2 vs. RUG Delver. This was disappointing but he had the nuts in both games including a topdeck trop after I wasted him off green with a force, Goyf, and Goose in his hand and nothing else in play. I did get him with Ajani and a SoFI-equipped Bob. He Cliqued me with an unflipped Delver in play, saw Ajani, Bob, RIP, let me keep it. I had the equipped Bob on the table and windmilled Ajani, activated, and sent him in. He said... "Oh... That was bad... What is about to happen?" "You take 8, I draw 2, and your Clique and Delver are both dead." Of course he topped Krosan Grip. Sigh.

Rd. 4: 2-0 vs. Elves. He wasn't a very experienced pilot, but a super nice guy. went for Craterhoof early game 1 bringing me to 3 and I was able to stabilize with Jitte and Batterskull. Game 2 he mulled to 6 and I inquisitioned him turn 1 seeing GSZ, Glimpse, Craterhoof, 3 lands, took GSZ and he pretty much did nothing.

So 2-2. I think I am going to go for a more straight BW build and add Zealous Persecution. I like abrupt decay a lot but it's tough on the mana.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Between BUG Delver and Miracles being the top 2 decks in March, what are ways you guys would change your lists to make up for the fact? This is why I play Revokers and the Angel MB

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Between BUG Delver and Miracles being the top 2 decks in March, what are ways you guys would change your lists to make up for the fact? This is why I play Revokers and the Angel MB
    1. Vial
    2. Sculler
    3. Crusader
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

I am currently playing a D'n'T style list inspired by Richard Cheese with good results. :)
    My list:
    2x Karakas
    4x Marsh Flats
    4x Wasteland
    4x Rishadan Port
    3x Scrubland
    2x Swamp
    4x Plains

4x Mother of Runes
    3x Thalia
    3x Dark Confidant
    3x Stonforge Mystic
    3x Phyrexian Revoker
    3x Tidehollow Sculler
    2x Brimaz
    2x Flickerwisp

2x Thoughtseize
    2x Inquisition of Kozilek
    4x Swords to Plowshares

1x Sword of Fire and Ice
    1x Batterskull
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    4x Aether Vial

Sideboard:
    2x Duress
    2x Cataclysm
    2x Rest in Piece
    2x Oblivion Ring
    1x Enlightened Tutor
    2x Zealot Persecution
    1x Engineered Plague
    1x Ethersworn Canonist
    1x Manriki Gusari
    1x Grafdiggers Cage

I am quite satisfied with this list but I struggle to beat Nic Fit with Pod etc. Can somebody please give me an advise how to play against this kind of deck? I side out discard to get +2 Cataclysm and 1 Cage and 1 Rest in Peace.

[Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Oops, something went wrong here
    Using Tapatalk

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Went 3-1-1 tonight. Putting me at 12-3 (plus IDs) so far with the deck. I haven't not made money yet.

R1: Sneak and Show
    Same guy as last week. This time was a bit different. G1 I have a hand that has revoker, I name sneak attack, I make him discard his emrakul with TS after he has set up with BS to make him shuffle his deck, then take it down. G2 he opens on White Leyline. Damn I forgot to board in disenchants again. I eot ETutor for Revoker and cast it naming Griselbrand because the way he is shaping his hand it seems like a SnT for griselbees hand. He casts sneak attack with no mana open. I think, hey revoker would be a sweet one to draw. So I casually draw a revoker, name sneak attack and beat him down.

1-0

R2 BUG Food Chain
    Same guy I've played vs the last 3 events who I always ride up with. WTF pairings? G1 he has USea, Island and a DRS with no food, I hold back my fetches, and just cast Bobs, and SFM and assemble a board and he never draws a land again. G2 He keeps a 1 lander with double DRS and BS. No fetch though. Again, I keep him off of mana by holding back my fetches until I get a revoker and name both of his deathrites and I beat him down with the eventual SFM.

2-0

R3 Belcher
    Same guy I played vs last week who was on merfolk. Seriously? He gets a T1 belcher on the play, I dont have a revoker, I die on T3 when he gets mana to activate. G2 I keep a hand with 2 discard spells, Bob and something else. I cast TS and see something like: 2x Burning Wish, 1x Belcher, 1x Rite of Flame, 1x Mana Monkey, and some stuff. Basically he can make 5 mana max. So I take the belcher, he rips Empty off the top and makes 8 men, I should have wasted his land granted taiga, but cast bob instead. He rips the Rite of Flame to attack and make 3 red and wish for goblin war strike. Meh. Can't beat the nuts. I accept my fate.

2-1

R4 High Tide
    We ID, I go to sell a collection for my buddy that he just bought for $100. He ends up walking away with $679. Lucky I bought the batterskull I needed plus he gave me a beat up Karn, Silver Golem and a Sculpting Steel that was beat. Nuts deal on the collection though.

2-1-1

Top 8 Belcher.
    Vomit. I'm on the draw. He mulls to 6, casts a T1 Tinder Wall off of his land granted Taiga. I Swords the Tinder wall. He realized he done fucked up. Passes back, I waste his taiga and play DRS. Passes Back, I make another DRS and a Revoker on Belcher. I take it. G2 I keep a slow hand with like 3 land, ETutor, Thalia, and irrelevant stuff. He T1 Belcher, Plus activate. 4th card he flips is Taiga. Lol. Sure I'll take 8. I ETutor after he passes his second turn for Revoker. Get it down, name belcher. Next turn Thalia. Then SFM for SoFaI (BSkull in hand just in case of Goblins already). Yep. I take him down again.

3-1-1

Deck yet again felt awesome. No changes to be made. Built up credit so I now own all the SFMs and her weapons. Only change I am considering is a Needle over the revoker so I can stop Stage Depths. Also, if the meta got fast combo heavy, possibly Chrome Moxen to T1 hate bears, but that's only if circumstances get crazy.

So what is your main / sideboard for now? How are the revokers. From what I've read they are nuts.

greetings
    kubalonek

Nice run Megadeus.

I've played some games vs Dark Depths. Meh, not a big worry. Maindeck Plow, wasteland and Karakas, plus Oodles of GY hate in main and board. Too bad Tsabo's Web doesn't Tap those kinds of lands when it enters the battlefield. Needle is fine though. The issue I have with some of the Dark Depths decks is that it's the only win Condition. I've Surgical extracted the Dark Depths a few times and that alone was GG.

I'm a fan of Chrome Mox. I would suggest only 2. I used to play 3 but I found I had the uncanny ability to see 2 in my opening way too often. LOL, that and Deathrite gets printed so something had to go. Casting Bob or Thalia or Hymn first turn is so awesome.

Thread Information