Page 241 of 319 FirstFirst ... 141191231237238239240241242243244245251291 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,820 of 6380

Thread: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

I played 2 dailies so far with the list, in the first daily I beat ANT and UR Delver, and lost to ANT and TES for 2-2. Then I played another one and beat UWR stoneblade, UB Tezzeret, a standard deck (yes) and MUD for 4-0. I'm fairly happy with the list, I like how it plays against Stoneblade and I really liked Hymn to Tourach but I had trouble casting it a lot of the time. I also wouldn't have 4-0'd if not for the main deck Zealous Persecution.

I don't believe in that Hymn to Tourach is just bad because of Treasure Cruise, it's not as simple as that. They're not just gonna draw Treasure Cruise off the top every time and it's a ridiculous notion that they would.

I think Thoughtseize is better than Cabal Therapy because I have nothing I really want to sacrifice to it, and on top of that, I want to Thoughtseize on turn 1 often so Cabal Therapy is not optimal.

Next I'm gonna test a Deathrite Shaman version with Choke in the sideboard. I will have to come up with a list first though. I will try Lingering Souls in this list.

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

Just as hymn goes both ways. It also a way to fight against the card advantech. They are gonna be able to cast the cruise for cheap mana with or without your hymn anyway so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahra View Post
    I really liked Hymn to Tourach but I had trouble casting it a lot of the time.
    If you like Frank Karsten's math, you should have close to 20 black sources to cast turn 2 hymn as opposed to 14.

http://www.channelfireball.com/artic...t-your-spells/

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Yeah I'm not a fan of 20 lands . I'd be closer to 22
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Yeah I'm not a fan of 20 lands . I'd be closer to 22
    I'm trying the Deathrite Version now and I'm up to 22 lands but I don't know what to cut. I'm also not sure about the manabase. But this is my decklist so far:

Main deck (62!!!):

Spells (40):

4x Mother of Runes
    4x Stoneforge Mystic
    4x Lingering Souls
    4x Dark Confidant
    4x Hymn to Tourach
    4x Tidehollow Sculler
    4x Deathrite Shaman
    3x Cabal Therapy
    3x Swords to Plowshares
    1x Zealous Persecution
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice
    1x Batterskull

Lands (22):

1x Bayou
    4x Scrubland
    1x Savannah
    1x Plains
    2x Swamp
    1x Karakas
    4x Marsh Flats
    1x Windswept Heath
    3x Verdant catacombs
    4x Wasteland

Maybe 4x Lingering Souls is too much? Also keep in mind that there's a lot of storm on modo currently.

I agree that therapy isn't as good without some sort of token generation. At the same time though, having one or two in board is fine if u expect a heavy mystic meta. For my dead guy cutting a hymn for a chains and adding a pontiff to the board. Still hard to totally cut hymn as I have the chance to turn 1 cast it.

If there's a lot if storm you could cut a mystic. I only run 3 since I hate casting her without anything to find (I run same equipment package). Hmmm....I suppose other cut is a souls or mother?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    If there's a lot if storm you could cut a mystic. I only run 3 since I hate casting her without anything to find (I run same equipment package). Hmmm....I suppose other cut is a souls or mother?
    Well there's just no way I'm cutting a mystic or a mom. But cutting a souls and a hymn seems more realistic.

Jul 2013
    Texas

This is what I came up with last night:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Pack Rat
    1 Hero of Bladehold

4 Thoughtseize
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Lingering Souls
    2 Zealous Persecution
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    2 Cabal Therapy
    1 Darkblast
    1 Council's Judgment

1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire & Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

4 Marsh Flats
    4 Wasteland
    3 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    2 Windswept Heath
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Plains
    1 Savannah
    1 Karakas
    1 Mishra's Factory

2 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Timely Reinforcements
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Disenchant
    1 Cabal Therapy
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad

Might give it a shot tomorrow at the weekly if I can resist the lure of Veteran Explorer and Siege Rhino.

I feel like Wasteland isn't as good as it used to be at the moment given all the cantripping and basic lands and lack of greedy manabases like deathblade and BUG. I'm thinking about going to 2 Wastes and 3 Mutavaults for even more Pack Rat madness. Pack Rat is in there to find a way to generate virtual card advantage with dead draws late and keep up with the cantrip cartel. I don't own any mutas at the moment, hence the Factory, but I do love me some manlands.

Well there's just no way I'm cutting a mystic or a mom. But cutting a souls and a hymn seems more realistic.
    Cool.

What else is the meta on MODO? I haven't the slightest clue since I only play paper magic. Oh and I must say that was so entertaining, watching your match vs Joe Lossett at SCG Richmond. Beating an Entreat and a Baneslayer. Vial in response to Miracle Trigger... sweet.

As for Pack Rat, still wondering if there's a home for it somewhere. I tried it in Reanimator sideboards and it was ok there. A guy I know put the Rat in a Loam Shell. That seems so wicked....Loam for 3 lands, discard a few to Rats. Rinse. Repeat. I guess Pack Rat could also find a home in Sam Black's Goblin Bombardment deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    Cool.

What else is the meta on MODO? I haven't the slightest clue since I only play paper magic. Oh and I must say that was so entertaining, watching your match vs Joe Lossett at SCG Richmond. Beating an Entreat and a Baneslayer. Vial in response to Miracle Trigger... sweet.

As for Pack Rat, still wondering if there's a home for it somewhere. I tried it in Reanimator sideboards and it was ok there. A guy I know put the Rat in a Loam Shell. That seems so wicked....Loam for 3 lands, discard a few to Rats. Rinse. Repeat. I guess Pack Rat could also find a home in Sam Black's Goblin Bombardment deck.
    You can see the "winning meta" here: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy#online

Basically it's all Miracles, UWR stoneblade and ANT right now + a few guys playing some rogue decks.

You can see the "winning meta" here: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy#online

Basically it's all Miracles, UWR stoneblade and ANT right now + a few guys playing some rogue decks.
    Ah ok. The only matchup I hate to face for sure is Miracles and maybe the Stoneblade deck if they run Counterbalance/Top in board. Otherwise, the meta looks favourable.

What is your gamplan against Miracles? For me, it's running a few extra discard, Revokers, Teeg and Engineered Explosives.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Sorry guys. Couldn't get the balls up to play dead guy today. But top 8'ing was also nice.

I think miracles is favorable though. Souls does work, and barring a random eantreat it's tough to lose imo if you don't draw garbage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    This is what I came up with last night:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Pack Rat
    1 Hero of Bladehold

4 Thoughtseize
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Lingering Souls
    2 Zealous Persecution
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    2 Cabal Therapy
    1 Darkblast
    1 Council's Judgment

1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire & Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

4 Marsh Flats
    4 Wasteland
    3 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    2 Windswept Heath
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Plains
    1 Savannah
    1 Karakas
    1 Mishra's Factory

2 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Timely Reinforcements
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Disenchant
    1 Cabal Therapy
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad

Might give it a shot tomorrow at the weekly if I can resist the lure of Veteran Explorer and Siege Rhino.

I feel like Wasteland isn't as good as it used to be at the moment given all the cantripping and basic lands and lack of greedy manabases like deathblade and BUG. I'm thinking about going to 2 Wastes and 3 Mutavaults for even more Pack Rat madness. Pack Rat is in there to find a way to generate virtual card advantage with dead draws late and keep up with the cantrip cartel. I don't own any mutas at the moment, hence the Factory, but I do love me some manlands.
    With the rats mutavault gets stronger then factory.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Yeah I agree. After a little playtesting last night I think I'm definitely shaving the wastes for some manlands. Either mishras and spirits of the labyrinth or Mutas and pack rats. We are definitely the control deck against URx and manlands seem pretty good against them since they don't run wastes and have to burn/STP our value creatures.

I 3-0'd split a DE with this a few weeks ago. Lent it to a friend on Sunday and he went X-2 cashing at SCG ATL after never playing Legacy before.

4 DRS
    4 Bob
    4 SFM

4 Liliana
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 STP
    3 Lingering Souls
    3 Hymn
    2 Zealous Persecution
    2 Vindicate
    1 Disfigure
    1 Jitte
    1 SoFaI
    1 Batterskull

4 Scrubland
    2 Bayou
    2 Swamp
    1 Plains
    3 Wasteland
    2 Isolated Chapel
    4 Marsh Flats
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Bloodstained Mire

SB:
    2 Kor Firewalker
    2 Garruk Relentless
    2 Humility
    1 Disenchant
    1 Duress
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Ethersworn Cannonist
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Absolute Law

Basically what I have cashed a few invitationals and opens with just with a different sideboard since not many other decks play discard. Probably would cut Absolute Law for another Zealous Persecution.

Like the build MBSegal. UR Delver and Burn look like byes.

Garruk is an interesting choice, I'm guessing you went with Garruk over Elspeth or Sorin, Lord of Innistrad because Garruk can kill a creature the turn in comes into play whereas the other 2 can't.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Played my list above last night, except I couldn't get my hand on any mutavaults before the tournament so I played 2 Spirit of the Labyrinth, 2 Mishra's Factory, and 3 Wasteland.

Rd. 1 BW rack pox win 2-1. Nothing to say here, the guy was a returning player who had Hypnotic Specter in his deck. I lost game 2 when he ritualed into hymn and IoK turn one. Guess I should play Force of Will. Other games equipment and Lingering Souls were bad for him.

Rd. 2 miracles lose 1-2. I won game 1 when he had two pyroblasts trapped in his hand and never drew a Brainstorm. Sic semper tyrannis! I don't remember what happened in game 2. I scooped to him in turns in game 3 rather than make him take a draw when I had no chance to break out of his lock and win when he could've Jaced me out eventually. So this was probably closer to a draw than a loss theoretically but I did willingly concede.

Rd. 3 storm lose 0-2. I had a lot of thoughtseizes and a bob game one, and I flipped hero of bladehold allowing him to tendrils me out for like 5 storm. Thanks for nothing Wilkin Game 2 I kept Thoughtseize, 2 Souls, Swamp, 2 Wasteland and Nihil Spellbomb. I thought if he had a non-basic, thoughtseize into waste would give me time to find a plains. Plus I had Spellbomb in case his line took him to PiF. And I didn't want to mull into no interaction. It didn't work out that way. I seized a Cabal Ritual, but he had a probe, saw I had nothing I could really do, and knew to fetch basics. But his Ad Nauseum flipped Tendrils early. Unfortunately for me he had the ability to do a value tendrils then a second one to finish me off because he boarded in a second copy. tech!

Rd. 4 jeskai stoneblade (BBD) lose 0-2. I did manage to Zealous away a TNN in game one but I already knew he had a batterskull. Didn't find a discard spell. I attempted to resolve a Spirit of the Lab at some point and he snap forced. Game 2 he cast a lot of treasure cruises but I kept hanging on. Eventually I resolved Hero of Bladehold, attacked into his batterskull, Pyromancer and a couple tokens, he said he knew what was coming but blocked anyway. I zealoused the shit out of his board, but he untapped and played a TNN that picked up the batterskull and carried it to victory.

I felt that the games were very close, despite the fact that I went 1-3 I like the deck. There are some things I learned:

—Wasteland is declining in power in the UR(W) meta, which I define as including the jeskai blade deck, UR(w) delver, miracles. Those decks have lots of fetches, card draw, Gitaxian Probes, and basics. Getting them a turn closer to Treasure Cruise at the expense of your own land drop and board is just ugly. And because Wastelend isn't played in many decks, manlands gain a lot of power. Ones that don't CIP tapped like Factory and Mutavault especially seem good in a deck without many heavy color requirements. Something to apply pressure with, pick up equipment, flash back therapy. I really think I want at least 3, and two Wastelands as panic buttons. Sure wish I had a way to find those Wastes when I want them though.

—I really wanted more ways to kill artifacts. I guess the answer is more Council's Judgment. Also might toss a Dispeller's Capsule in the board to grab with E-tutor. Wish Vindicate killed TNN somehow.

—You can never have too many Zealous Persecutions. I think I might toss in an Orzhov Pontiff as well.

—Darkblast was kind of meh. I used it to kill a Snapcaster Mage. I like knowing it's there, didn't get to live the dream with Top. Maybe on the chopping block.

—Definitely wish I had some way to recur from the graveyard. I feel like every other deck gets insane value from all zones and we are just living off the top. Gonna look into that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Sure wish I had a way to find those Wastes when I want them though.

As far as abusing your yard, you can run Grunt and put gas back in ... doesn't pair great with Souls though, but doesn't die to bolt and keeps people off cruise. There's the obvious Light and Shadow, which in a world where opponents are bolting your men isn't bad and it can stand off a Griselchimp with a token / angel / mindcensor.

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

Wayfarer kinda need horizon cananopy's / cyclelands to be really useful.

Thread Information