Page 287 of 319 FirstFirst ... 187237277283284285286287288289290291297 ... LastLast
Results 5,721 to 5,740 of 6380

Thread: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamhams View Post
    Thalia can be awkward and I have had to not play her right away to cast my other spells, but there are some storm players so it is hard to take her out as a 1 of. As for the Bayou, it is mostly because of cost but im not sure if Bayou would increase my win % that much anyway.

I do like me some Feast & Famine since there is a strong elf and bug presence in my LGS. The reanimators here also have a lot of angels so I find the macabres are better there since it doesn't cost any mana to cast so I can do it on turn 0 even with the trigger.
    Yeah bayou seems slightly more effective with Deathrite but it's probably not gonna be an earth shattering difference most of the time.

Chancellor is a good reason to run macabre (or leyline but macabre is removal proof as well which is nice) . I like my surgicals because aggro loam and show and tell can be tough without them, but the more i think about it now the more i think i might want 1 or 2 macabre in my board

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    +1

Sculler also exiles, which is super relevant in Legacy. Storm, Lands, and Reanimator variants all want access to their graveyard. Against Storm, it can slow down the Past in Flames plan. Against reanimator you don't have to take their reanimator effect (like with Thoughtseize), you can just take the Griselbrand/fatty. Taking a lands player off of Loam can sometimes buy you multiple turns. FYI, big Sculler fan lol.
    I think both Hymn and Scruller are good discard cards in diffrent way. I would like have both in the deck but probablly more Tidehollow then Hymn

Quote Originally Posted by Hamhams View Post
    Thalia can be awkward and I have had to not play her right away to cast my other spells, but there are some storm players so it is hard to take her out as a 1 of. As for the Bayou, it is mostly because of cost but im not sure if Bayou would increase my win % that much anyway.

I do like me some Feast & Famine since there is a strong elf and bug presence in my LGS. The reanimators here also have a lot of angels so I find the macabres are better there since it doesn't cost any mana to cast so I can do it on turn 0 even with the trigger.
    Thalia is best against the combo deck with lot of cantrips like Strom and Sneak and Show. There Thalia hurt them more then you do.

I have tested Feast & Famine a bit but I like Fire and Ice better against the Jace decks. They can't bounce a equip Fire and Ice and force them to dig to find answers.
    Deadguy ale Primer: http://articles.mtgcardmarket.com/br...n-deadguy-ale/ (Jeff did it before me)

Quote Originally Posted by Ganfar View Post
    I have tested Feast & Famine a bit but I like Fire and Ice better against the Jace decks. They can't bounce a equip Fire and Ice and force them to dig to find answers.
    Yeah, I have fire and ice in my main and feast in the sideboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Notion Thief View Post
    My meta is very delver-light. I dont run hymn so lili is my only BB card, so i often play a swamp and plains for my first two land drops so i can fetch for a scrub and play whatever i want even through wasteland. Deathrite helps too. I havent found WW that bad, probably because indont run a lot of BB
    Ah, makes sense, WW seems fine without Hymn. What is your split on Fetchs?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Boltagon View Post
    Ah, makes sense, WW seems fine without Hymn. What is your split on Fetchs?
    4 marsh flats, 2 windswept heath, 2 verdant catacombs if i remember correctly.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

4 marsh flats, 2 windswept heath, 2 verdant catacombs if i remember correctly.
    No hymn seems like a weird choice. I've found that besides the obvious combo matchups it can give you the edge you need to win against midrange/control. What does your list look like?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    No hymn seems like a weird choice. I've found that besides the obvious combo matchups it can give you the edge you need to win against midrange/control. What does your list look like?
    From memory, i think my current list is:

4 Dark Confidant
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    2 Tidehollow Sculler
    2 Serra Avenger

2 Collective Brutality
    4 Thoughseize
    1 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Toxic Deluge
    2 Council's Judgment
    2 Lingering Souls

1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawas Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

2 Gideon of the Trials
    2 Liliana of the Veil

4 Marsh Flats
    4 Wasteland
    3 Scrubland
    1 Bayou
    1 Karakas
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Windswept Heath
    2 Plains
    1 Swamp
    1 Forest

SB
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Leyline of the Void
    1 Humility
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Containment Priest
    1 Grafdiggers Cage
    1 Toxic Deluge
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    1 Phyrexian Revoker

It's still a work in progress, but I've had decent results so far

We had 7 Players and played Round Robin 6 rounds.

Deadguy Ale
    Burn
    UW Blade
    4c Blade
    Elves
    RUG Delver
    Lands

I liked both Collective Brutality and Crome Mox first time out and will continue with 2 of each.

Round 1, Burn
    Win 2-1
    L 1: Both boards kept clear until SoFaI on spirit starts race vs. their topdeck. I'm at 7,4,1 and they brick a few times. Spirit hits them down to 4 and the trigger draws Jitte which I tap swamp, Karakas, and two wastelands to cast and equip post combat in a total punt that I realize as it's happening. Topdeck Price of Progress duly punished.
    W 2: Early Batterskull goes unanswered a few turns and I'm out of reach. Faerie Rogues finish him.
    W 3: Collective Brutality early into equipment wins.

Round 2, UW Blade
    Loss 0-2
    L 1: Long grinding joy of a game. I can't turn corner as EE takes out my Jitte.
    L 2: I mull 6 spells+Mox and then 5 Spells+Wasteland. My 5 card hand is never in it, overwhelmed by Jace, Skull Etc.

Round 3, 4c Blade
    Win 2-1
    W 1: We waste each other low. IoK takes Tnn he can't deploy. Jitte closes before he can rebuild.
    L 2: Opponent mulls to 5 and plays T1 DRS. I chose T1 Thoughtseize over Deathrite fearing turn 2 TNN but it was on top with the scry. I hold Liliana waiting to find spot removal for elf or a sweeper but they never show up* and 2nd TNN joins to finish me.
    W 3: Discards cripples him into Lilliana and he can't fend off Batterkull for long.
    *After the match I realized I played games 2 & 3 with 53 cards, having sided cards out but nothing in. Judge said leave it and opponent was agreeable.

Round 4, Elves
    Loss 1-2 (notes and memory sketchy)
    L 1: Turn three on the draw after Hymning I have choice to Wasteland his cradle, play Liliana that would die to elf beats, or cast Lingering Souls. I go with souls planning to waste and play Liliana with blockers next turn. He goes for glimpse and finds 2nd cradle into eventual Hoof.
    W 2: Kept a 6 with Plains, Mox, Jitte, Lilliana, Brutality, and Souls. Scry reveals Thoughtseize. So many lines off this open but I went with scry TS to bottom, imprint Liliana on Mox cast Jitte. I would then be able to escalate brutality with souls on 2 to kill his first guy and discard with flashback on souls to get Jitte going t3. I hit the land T2 and he hadn't played a guy so I decided to just front-side the souls. A few turns late I've gotten a hit in with Jitte and he's found his rec Sage. I keep him contained and pressured enough that he has to try off on long odds and doesn't get there. Souls swing in for lethal.
    L 3: 2 plows is not enough disruption and I can't close before I die to a very ho-hum Cradle into Cradle hardcast hoof.

Round 5, Rug Delver
    Win 2-0
    W 1: I was down to the skin of my teeth, 1 life, until Collective Brutality drain up to 3 let me cast Bitterblossom. Two turns later I'm at one again and a blossom token is swinging in for counters.
    W 2: We both developed large boards but Batterskull was trump equipped first to SFM vs 5/6 goyf and then on a flyer to win. Earlier discard hit would have been lethal bolts while he was stuck off red.

Round 6, Lands
    Loss 0-2
    L 1: He's got a good open with explore and loam, finds a waste to waste my waste and 20/20 token kills me.
    L 2: This was quite epic with opponent winning with 6 cards left in deck. Molten Vortex and P Fire keep my board clear until I find an opening to equip a spirit with SoFaI. He soon finds Maze of Ith and starts going for Leige but I've built up to three plows in hand by now and topdeck Karakas in time to answer 4th. We spend some turns fighting over Ith (wastes/vindicate) and he's been burning down Lilianas and creatures the whole time . He's running out of deck to dredge when I finally draw a sideboard Surgical but squander it removing Dark Depths when my Karakas and Wasteland probably had it covered. Vortex starts pointing at me. I find E Tutor into needle to shut it off but PFire chips me to zero in time.

End 3-3
    The group's plan is to play twice per month.
    Last edited by Zauzich; 08-07-2017 at 07:21 PM.

So against Burn in game one, I don't understand the mistake you are saying you made...

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    So against Burn in game one, I don't understand the mistake you are saying you made...
    If he kept two wastes up and just played tye jitte without equipping, he could have saved himself from price of Progress, although this seems like a 20/20 hindsight sorta thing since if his opponent topdecked any other burn spell and he hadnt gained 4 off the jitte he'd be dead. Mostly just a guessing game that he guessed wrong as far as i can tell.

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

If he kept two wastes up and just played tye jitte without equipping, he could have saved himself from price of Progress, although this seems like a 20/20 hindsight sorta thing since if his opponent topdecked any other burn spell and he hadnt gained 4 off the jitte he'd be dead. Mostly just a guessing game that he guessed wrong as far as i can tell.
    From what I understood is that he was on 1 and any burn spell could kill him. Sure he could wastelanded down to 1 Swamp and hope to draw a land from the top. He seems screwed anyways.
    Deadguy ale Primer: http://articles.mtgcardmarket.com/br...n-deadguy-ale/ (Jeff did it before me)

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

By not tapping out he would have played around a topdecked Price of Progress, right? And tapping out to equip post-combat didn't improve his odds in any way.
    Now if he had other lands available he could have tapped those instead of the Wastelands, but that's too obvious and probably not the case.

I had just the 4 lands in play and hit the opponent down to 6 that turn in combat, plus the SoFaI trigger knocks them down to 4 and draws the Jitte, so no chance to get counters that turn. A Collective Brutality had actually gotten me back up to 3 in the meantime so Guide/Swiftspeer were not good enough either.
    If I live to next turn spirit + sword + trigger kills them anyway. The Jitte still never gets counters that matter.

The thing that made it so bad was Price of Progress was already on my radar. Opponent had fireblasted a germ early so was on just one land for a lot of the topdecking. When they played a second land I realized price was now live and I should keep the self-wasteland play available.

I just got too exited for the Jitte. I knew they were dead anyway but some sort of showoff/overkill instinct crossed with "look what I drew now that it's too late to help" emotion came over me and I had tapped my lands and announced "cast equip jitte" before I knew what was going on. The card was on the table and sliding it over toward the spirit when my brain caught up and I even said out loud right then "shit. too late. That was a mistake. Now Price of Progress is an out."

This was at a house, pizza and beer type setting. There were spectators. People cheered/"oh my gosh"ed. Good times.

Apr 2017
    Texas

I managed to play a lot with my brother and our buddy over the weekend and I really cannot figure out how I want my pile to work.

-Part of me really wants to maybe run 2x Bitterblossom in the 75 somewhere. I haven't really had many Goyfs across from me in a while + I have a soft spot for the thing. Maybe 1x main deck with 1x sideboard? We know she can grind it out but could it worth an L-Souls slot as a 2-1 split with Souls and Blossom for generating some flying threats and the virtual card advantage?

-Two mox or not two mox? I played a lot this weekend sans our Chrome (plus a land and another Inquisition or a Fatal Push) and I felt naked knowing those explosive starts weren't even a possibility. I'd like some feedback here because I've also considered playing 3x but haven't made that jump yet. Any thoughts about 0x and/or 3x Chrome a in particular?

-How many Planeswalkers are you comfortable running in your mainboard? While LotV is our bae, we have some solid options available to us. Gideon Trials, Liliana Last Hope and Kaya are solid main deck options various reasons. Any of you have particular spice in main deck Walkers for your particular metagame?

-Are there any creatures you like playing with in addition to our core (DRS, Bob, SFM)? Sometimes I find myself missing some type of fancy breaker which is why I support the 1x Bladehold idea (plus I'm a token addict). Obviously Sculler is a friend of ours so, excluding the ferryman, are Spirit of the Labyrinths or Mirran Crusaders and the like where my head should be if I want to experiment with some scrappy creatures?

-Last but not least... any feelings about Smuggler's Copter in our deck? It is one of the cards that has been floating in and out of my lists since it released. I tend to like it when I can pilot with a token or SFM. If GY hate has been played, hopping into the Copter is one of the better things for a bored DRS to be doing. Witch doctors and helicopters... that's f*cking metal.

Sorry for the questions. Don't really have anyone around me that understands the nuance of our deck (let alone even know what Deadguy is) so I really appreciate the feedback.
    Dead Guy Ale // Burn
    Delver/Pyro // Turbo Fish!

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy_Eyes View Post
    your questions and stuff

k.
    Hey, ill add my 2 cents worth (note i dont play a stock list for deadguy)

I run a bitterblossom in the board, and 2-3 souls main. It generates threats slower but more consistently than souls so i think its great to bring in in control/prison matchups but it takes a turn to get you any value so its a bit slow for general matchups for my tastes. I think it goes in the 75 for sure, but if you dont face a lot of lands/miracles decks its best served as a sideboard card.

I run zero mox, as my general deck philosophy is to go one-for-one until we're in topdeck mode and 2 for 1-ing myself turn 1 doesnt keep with that plan. If you run hymn i think mox becomes a lot more appealing though, my list is kinda non-traditional. 3 feels like too many to me though, its a bad late game topdeck and you dont want 2 in your opener.

I run 2 Lili, 2 Gideon, and occasionally sideboard Kaya depending on what i might be facing. Shes quite good once she gets rolling, but my curve runs a bit high so i avoid the 4 drop. New Lili seems great if you play against a lot of fair decks, and id consider a 2-1-1 split replacing a gideon if my meta shifted to more dnt-type decks.

My weird creature choice is Serra Avenger (,2-of). Vigilance plus jitte is amazing, it gives evasion and good p/t without being a bob headache, and the first few turns i usually spend setting up the board with discard, removal, and bob/sfm anyway so the 4 turn thing has rarely been an issue. With Sculler, Mother of runes is also great for keeping their card away and it helps get damage through. Gideon also acts as a great beater mid-to-late game.

Ive played around with copter. Its occasionally great. If you have space for a one-of, have some fun with it. Id only run 2 equipment main if youre running it though, it essentually functions as equipment, so its a potentially dead topdeck if you have an empty board. Still it won me some games (it can stonewall a thalia with mother of runes backup which is huge vs dnt). I dont like it for my particular build but i think it's viable in small numbers.

Apr 2017
    Texas

@Notion Thief - I more or less have a big collection of white/black stuff and am always changing my list. Luckily, my two play groups are solid and we try to explore when we can so I don't have to alllllways show up with a pile of 1CMC good-stuff w/ Delvers. So thanks for the empathetic reply! kek

I feel the BB/L-Soulz comment. It's slower, yes, but it's constant. Your "bit slow" caveat can be instantly felt in the games where it feels bad. Also, cards that kill you are fun! Bob + BB + Tombstalker... greatness, at any cost!

About Mox: My first love in MTG, lightning bolt. Second would be hymn. Third.. deranged hermit! Hymn into Wasteland from T2 on? Absolutely. Haven't looked at Mox "tied" to Hymn. I'll keep the rocks around for meow to live the dream.

I love Kaya & Liliana the Last Hope. In fact I think a split between Veil and Hope is correct more times than not.. If a lot of board control is desired our main, I dig a 3-1 Lili split + Deluge to taste.

About Copter: I tend to view it the same way. I have had it in/out. I think it's a great toy for our Shamans and our tokens. I think the card really pops with a Bitterblossom out. Copter is definitely the family truckster.

The Avengers seem like a lot of fun. I've wanted to try them out and always forget to bust 'em out. Thanks for the reminder, my man.

Edit: Forgot to ask if y'all had any opinions on Conqueror's Flail. It is easy hardcast and is annoying for all them fancy instant-casting folk. With DRS alone its a +2 and with any white nonland permanent makes it a +3 while keeping the opponent off defensive Brainstorms.
    It's not the most bad ass effect but being further rewarded for for having DRS is incredibly goofy in its own right. If there's not a big prize pool and Fire/Icing people is too business-forward, Flail brings the fun and DRS beats.

Keep your filthy Dazes, blue mage scum!
    Last edited by Sleepy_Eyes; 08-10-2017 at 12:09 PM.
    Dead Guy Ale // Burn
    Delver/Pyro // Turbo Fish!

Aug 2016
    Flanders

I'm a big fan of the 1-off Lili the Last Hope like here
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/700933#paper

Have been advocating a 2-1 or 3-1 split in Deadguy and even Pox for a while now.

Haven't had time to test Copter tho

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy_Eyes View Post
    @Notion Thief - I more or less have a big collection of white/black stuff and am always changing my list. Luckily, my two play groups are solid and we try to explore when we can so I don't have to alllllways show up with a pile of 1CMC good-stuff w/ Delvers. So thanks for the empathetic reply! kek

I feel the BB/L-Soulz comment. It's slower, yes, but it's constant. Your "bit slow" caveat can be instantly felt in the games where it feels bad. Also, cards that kill you are fun! Bob + BB + Tombstalker... greatness, at any cost!

About Mox: My first love in MTG, lightning bolt. Second would be hymn. Third.. deranged hermit! Hymn into Wasteland from T2 on? Absolutely. Haven't looked at Mox "tied" to Hymn. I'll keep the rocks around for meow to live the dream.

I love Kaya & Liliana the Last Hope. In fact I think a split between Veil and Hope is correct more times than not.. If a lot of board control is desired our main, I dig a 3-1 Lili split + Deluge to taste.

About Copter: I tend to view it the same way. I have had it in/out. I think it's a great toy for our Shamans and our tokens. I think the card really pops with a Bitterblossom out. Copter is definitely the family truckster.

The Avengers seem like a lot of fun. I've wanted to try them out and always forget to bust 'em out. Thanks for the reminder, my man.

Edit: Forgot to ask if y'all had any opinions on Conqueror's Flail. It is easy hardcast and is annoying for all them fancy instant-casting folk. With DRS alone its a +2 and with any white nonland permanent makes it a +3 while keeping the opponent off defensive Brainstorms.
    It's not the most bad ass effect but being further rewarded for for having DRS is incredibly goofy in its own right. If there's not a big prize pool and Fire/Icing people is too business-forward, Flail brings the fun and DRS beats.

Keep your filthy Dazes, blue mage scum!
    I never wanted BB over tidehollow sculler myself. I think it can be a good sideborad card against some matchups. You can also discard souls to Liliana and the flashback it.

Chrome Mox: I have tried Chrome Mox but never like it. It can be dead card in late game and I hate cards that are totally dead. My list is not good with Chrome Mox either, can't inprint Tidehollow. If you run Chrome Mox you should have 4 Hymn.

Kaya has been great for me in the grindy match ups where she is needed. I want to have Last Hope as well but I can't fit her in i my 75. Gideon, Ally of Zendikar is bigger and powerful. Last Hope is great when there are lot of decks with X/1

Copter is good but not better two drop then Bob, Stoneforge and Tidehollow Scruller. All three of them will do soemthing when they enter the battlefiled or next turn. Copter does do anything on turn 2.

I don't feel the need for Conqueror's Flail. We are not a combo deck that need to prevent the oppnemnt to intergate. It don't solve any issues the deck has.
    Last edited by Ganfar; 08-13-2017 at 03:28 PM.

Played in another small 14 player tournament. Prizes was still a 1k which was nice. I won the tournament, top 8 split $125 each. 4 round swiss with a cut to top 8. List is still the same, I haven't changed much since Sensei's Diving Top got banned

Round 1. Miracles. Win in 2.
    Unexpectedly absent is annoying but I'm able to power through it. Lingering Souls was king here, being able to apply pressure. Also Explosives was key in game 2, where I blew up 2 Angel tokens and a Monk token.

Round 2. Eldrazi. Win in 2.
    Fortunately, in neither game did my opponent cast a Chalice on turn 1. Fun play was in game 1 where he cast a Thought Knot Seer and sees....3 lands. I proceed to topdeck a Shriekmaw. Kill a creature and draw a card? Yes, please. Shriekmaw was MVP here. Not only killing Eldrazi left and right, but only his Mishra's Factory is able to block it. I cast 2 Shriekmaw in game 1, one at 5 mana and at least a Shriekmaw at 5 mana in game 2. I have a Humility and Ensnaring Bridge in game 2, luckily he didn't side in Ulamog. Endless one is annoying but I got around that with Bontu's Last Reckoning.

Round 3. Sneak Show with Omniscience. Win in 2.
    He's able to Show and tell a Griselbrand in. I cast a Liliana and he draws 14....and whiffs on a Force of Will. Game 2, he plays a land and ponders. I cast Therapy. Resolves. I name Show and Tell. I hit one....and promptly Surgically extract it. LOL. Game is much easier knowing that Omniscience isn't likely going to happen.

Round 4. Merfolk. ID. We are both easily locked in top 8

Round 5. Top 8. Czech Pile. Win in 3.
    I win games 1 due to 3 wastelands. He wins game 2 with TNN, Angler, Shaman and friends. Game 3, he stumbles on his mana base. Again. He has 2 Volcanic Islands...and I proceed to cast Lingering Souls, Gideon, Sword of Fire and Ice....etc.

Round 6. Dark Depths Black green. Win in 2.
    I thoughtseize his Hexmage turn 1 (he had Urborg and Dark depths in hand). My Dark Confidant turn 2 draws my fun stuff to win. Game 2 is a grind fest. He's able to discard my answers for Marit Lage and makes one. He swings for 20, knocking me down to 2. My topdeck...is Humility. Suddenly my Stoneforge Mystic and Shamans are able to block and also go on the offensive. The match takes a while since neither of us draw much (or lol can't do much either) since he cast Lost Legacy on me, taking my Lingering Souls.

Round 7. Sneak show with Omniscience. Win in 2.
    I'm able to disrupt him large, plus I have a Bob and Karakas in play. He's at low enough life that he can sneak Griselbrand in but not draw cards. Liliana is able to force the issue and I vindicate his Sneak attack to get a concession. Game 2. He casts a turn 2 blood moon, I fetch for a swamp and can only cast Dark Confidant turn 2 and Turn 3 Sword of Fire and Ice. Luckily both resolve. I'm able to hit a few times. He casts a Show and Tell. He puts in Omniscience, I put in Humility. He can cast Emrakul for an extra turn but it's still just a 1/1. Emrakul still has to chump block my Dark Confidant or possibly die. He's able to ponder and brainstorm but isn't able to find a Cunning Wish.

So I get an invite to a year end tournament at one of my local stores. Nice. Next tournament at this store is even better, since it's a trial for Eternal Weekend. One, I really want to win.
    Humility was MVP here. Slowed down Eldrazi. Stole a game vs Dark Depths. Won my game 2 vs Sneak Show.

Nice run there, have a list?

Thread Information