Page 292 of 319 FirstFirst ... 192242282288289290291292293294295296302 ... LastLast
Results 5,821 to 5,840 of 6380

Thread: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Lost in the quarters of my local legacy monthly tournament. Only 21 players as there was a Trios going on the same day. 5 rounds cut to top 8. Maindeck is same old (you can find it easy on TC decks or on Mtggoldfish.com). Sideboard.
    1 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Leyline of the Void
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Collective Brutality
    1 Zealous Persecution
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    2 Humility

Round 1. Czech Pile Win 2-1
    I land an early Stoneforge Mystic and my opponent has an underground Sea and a basic island. He ponders into a Fatal push on Batterskull token but I waste his land the next turn.
    Game 2 I get outvalued to death. Game 3, Batterskull gets there again.

Round 2. Merfolk Win 2-0.
    He dazes my turn 1 Stoneforge Mystic but he's stuck on 1 land. I land a Liliana of the Veil soon after and he scoops a few turns later. Seemed a bit premature.
    Game 2, I land a Humility. and a couple of turns later a Lingering Souls.

Round 3. Lands. Lose 2-0
    Multiple Punishing Fires and then Ghost quarter and Life from the Loam. GG. Game 2, I mulled to 4 because of awful hands. LOL, I did get Leyline as one of the cards though. But a Tireless Tracker proves to be too much value.

Round 4. Aggro Loam Win 2-0
    I know what he is on and My opener has Deathrite, Lingering Souls and 5 lands (1 is a wasteland). I'm on the play. Not a great hand at all but i keep anyway. I play Shaman pass. He plays chalice on 1. And then I draw another Lingering Souls. So I ended the game with 8 Soul tokens. He later has removal for deathrite and casts a Knight of the Reliquary but I have too many fliers.
    Game 2. I cast Liliana, the Last Hope on my turn 2 to kill his Bob. And I eventually ulitmate Liliana. gg.

Round 5. Elves. ID

Round 6. Czech Pile. Lose 2-0
    I apply pressure with 4 soul tokens and a Deathrite. He topdecks Toxic Deluge. I cast a Hero of Bladehold 2 turns later but he's able to dig for a Diabolic Edict.
    Game 2. I don't have much pressure and he has a Leovold and then a Jace.

-Top 8 consisted of 2 Deadguy, 1 Elves, 1 RUW stoneblade, 1 Lands, 2 Czech Pile and 1 other deck i can't remember.
    -I cast a turn 1 Bob or Mystic 4 times.
    -Lingering Souls was MVP here. Having 8 out at once was funny.
    -Liliana, the Last Hope was the best card out of the board today.

I may need to make some adjustments next legacy since it will be a small known turnout at a local invitational. With at least one other Deadguy Ale player there.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    I may need to make some adjustments next legacy since it will be a small known turnout at a local invitational. With at least one other Deadguy Ale player there.
    I think if you're running Bladehold you should really consider Lightning Greaves. Lightning Greaves not only enables a very ridiculous T3 Hasted Skull on some hands, but it enables Hasted Bladehold; which is an easy GG. Given you run both, I think it's worth considering in the SoFaI slot that you (probably) have.

Haste-BSK line:
    1 - DRS
    2 -Greaves or SFM
    3 -SFM or Greaves, attach to SFM, drop skull, attach to Token, swing

It does require natural Skull or natural Greaves, but it's a psuedo-Mom that grants haste; and it happens to combine nicely with Bob when you need the cards, protect your DRS, and/or protect Tidehollow. If ever a deck wanted greaves I think it's DGA running Bladehold; as nearly every permanent can Smile-Bigly with greaves. Late game DRS becoming Goblin Guide or a Mox is also pretty fancy.

EDIT: I find it mildly odd you don't run any Brutalities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Quote Originally Posted by tescrin View Post
    I think if you're running Bladehold you should really consider Lightning Greaves. Lightning Greaves not only enables a very ridiculous T3 Hasted Skull on some hands, but it enables Hasted Bladehold; which is an easy GG. Given you run both, I think it's worth considering in the SoFaI slot that you (probably) have.

Haste-BSK line:
    1 - DRS
    2 -Greaves or SFM
    3 -SFM or Greaves, attach to SFM, drop skull, attach to Token, swing

It does require natural Skull or natural Greaves, but it's a psuedo-Mom that grants haste; and it happens to combine nicely with Bob when you need the cards, protect your DRS, and/or protect Tidehollow. If ever a deck wanted greaves I think it's DGA running Bladehold; as nearly every permanent can Smile-Bigly with greaves. Late game DRS becoming Goblin Guide or a Mox is also pretty fancy.

EDIT: I find it mildly odd you don't run any Brutalities.

I currently run one Collective Brutality in the board.

I have thought about Greaves but it's high enough impact imo. Equipping Hero is obviously living the dream and protecting Bob is great but having it on Souls is kinda meh.

I have considered sleeving up a human stompy list with mulitple Greaves and Heroes in it.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

I have thought about Greaves but it's high enough impact imo. Equipping Hero is obviously living the dream and protecting Bob is great but having it on Souls is kinda meh.

I have considered sleeving up a human stompy list with mulitple Greaves and Heroes in it.
    I'll say that Greaves is much better with Blossom than Souls. I'm brewing a DeadGuy-Junk list at the moment as I sell off some of the more extraneous parts of my collection (volcs, extra Trops/Tundras, etc.) and will eventually be back to my Junk self I think, so this is what I'm looking at after I posted that (I got a little excited.)

-19-21-
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Tarmogoyf
    3 Tidehollow Sculler
    1 Orzhov Pontiff
    0-2 Hero of Bladehold

-8-10-
    3 Bitterblossom
    0-2 Elspeth, Knight Errant
    2 Chrome mox
    1 Batterskull
    1 Lightning Greaves
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

-12-
    3 Thoughtseize
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Collective Brutality
    2 Zealous Persecution

-20 Lands-
    4 Marsh Flats
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Scrubland
    1 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    2 Swamp
    1 Plains
    4 Wasteland

EDIT: Some early fishing has shown a variety of interesting scenarios with Greaves and SFM. Basically, if you draw her T3 or later and you played your greaves, you get to do that play out of nowhere still, which I think is what makes that play look so strong. If your opp doesn't have removal *right now*, they're eating a BSK to the fact that they can no longer remove. I think the ability to turn up the heat on Goyfs (and even bobs and things) seems pretty strong. I'm definitely sold on the Chrome Mox's, and I *think* i'm quite sold on the Brutalities. Brutality seems like a really good way to make Burn MU's free wins; which is often something on my radar. Aside from that, tossing away the BSK you have stuck in your hand, a spare Mox, or the garbage that Confidant drew you into seems good.

I also noticed/remembered that Greaves is quite good against Lands. Lands relies on Maze of Ith if it can't Pfire your guy, and outside of comboing off, has no real defense outside of that. The perma-shroud you can give even a 2/1 seems quite worth the investment of part of your T2 or T3. Another interaction that came up in my limited testing was a hand where I drew an extra DRS and had Greaves out. I was able to dump my hand by jumping Greaves around for the extra mana.

If nothing else, this little experiment may play into other decks I run; experimenting with Greaves and up to 2 Chrome mox; and made me more confident in building synergies with Brutality.
    Last edited by tescrin; 12-07-2017 at 01:19 PM.
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

So I played a local invitational tournament. I had enough points to qualify (from playing their Sunday events). First 3 rounds for players were their choice of Standard, Legacy, Modern or Draft. Obviously I picked legacy. Next 5 rounds were Modern.

There were about 12 players in the Legacy portion of the Tournament. Since we all knew each other, meta gaming becomes interesting. LOL. I took out a Shriekmaw and a Vindicate for a maindeck Relic of Progenitus and a Liliana, the Last Hope. In the board I left in a Relic and put in a Wilt-Leaf Liege. I went 3-0 in the legacy (went 0-3 drop in Modern) part. Beat Eldrazi, Death and Taxes and Infect.

Liliana, the Last Hope was insane. I ultimate twice with her. One vs Eldrazi. One vs Death and Taxes. Relic was a meta call that failed. None of the 3 decks are really affected by it.

Will probably leave in Liliana maindeck for now. Had both Liliana out vs Infect. GG.

Tescrin, you liking Bitterblossom over Lingering Souls and Elspeth over Gideon, Ally of Zendikar? I guess I can understand it since Deathrites are everywhere eating Lingering Souls once it's in the yard also there is a lot less Abrupt Decays running around to kill Bitterblossom

Split top 4 of a Legacy event. 26 players. 5 rounds. Went 3-1-1 in swiss. Won my quarters match and split top 4. Sideboard tweaked a bit. I like Pithing Needle but against Lands there are just too many choices plus it usually didn't help me enough to win games.

Main.
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Shriekmaw (yeah I know, it really hurt having to cut one :) )
    1 Hero of Bladehold
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Cabal Therapy
    1 Inqusition of Kozilek
    2 Hymn to Tourach
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    2 Vindicate
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull
    3 Lingering Souls
    2 Chrome Mox
    4 Scrubland
    1 Bayou
    2 Swamp
    1 PLains
    1 Karakas
    4 Wasteland
    4 Marsh Flats
    2 Polluted Delta
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Bloodstained Mire

Side
    2 Relic of Progenitus, 1 Surgical Extraction, 1 Leyline of the Void, 1 Leyline of Sanctity, 1 Zealous Persecution, 1 Engineered Explosives, 1 Toxic Deluge, 1 Dismember, 2 Sanctum Prelate, 1 Gaddock Teeg, 2 Humility, 1 Collective Brutality

Round 1 Eldrazi Win 2-1
    I have a Bob in hand but no Chrome Mox. lol. I get over run by mimics, Reshaper and Endless One. Game 2 he mulls to 5. Game 3, he's a bit mana screwed and I help that along by wasting and Vindicating lands.

Round 2 BG Depths. Win 2-0.
    Game 1, his hand is very clunky and I have a turn 1 Bob who is sooned joined to the party by many Lingering Souls. Game 2 is a bunch of Lingering Souls and a Jitte. So even if Marit Lage hits me once, I'm still alive but I chump a few times against the 20/20. I eventually stall the board until I get a Liliana of the Veil to kill Marit Lage.

Round 3. Czech Pile. Lose 2-1
    Game 1, I'm able to win the war of attrition with a Sword of Fire and Ice on a guy. Really helps that I didn't see a single Kologhan's Command. Game 2 and 3 that wasn't the case. Game 3 I mull to 6 and I don't have much action and an active Jace is too much.

Round 4. Aggro Loam. Win 2-1
    Game 1, no punishing fire online. He has a knight of the reliquary and a Maze of Ith but I have a Liliana of the Veil and many Lingering Souls with Jitte on one Soul token and SOFI on another.
    Game 2. Punishing Fire goes online. I go offline.
    Game 3. I relic away the first Punishing Fire and he isn't able to bring it online again. He has 3 Bobs, but I played mine first and I'm able to kill each one before they can get him an extra card.

Round 5. ID

Round 6. BR Reanimator. Win 2-1
    Game 1. I know what he's on. My hand is meh though with 1 Swamp, 2 deathrites and meh. Should have mulled but kept. He mulls to 5. He keeps a no action turn 1 hand. I topdeck a fetchland and it's gets harder for him to reanimate a guy. I eventually get 3 Shamans and a Mystic for a batterskull.
    Game 2. I keep a 7 card hand that had 1 Surgical and 2 Relics. He goes to entomb reanimate Griselbrand turn 1. I promptly surgical it. Game is slow since I have 2 relics eating his whole yard and he had a turn 2 or 3 Blood moon really slowing me down. Eventually I get an active Liliana of the Veil which discards my Lingering Souls so I can cause pressure.

Notes: Dismember was pretty good, it Killed an opposing Bob. Also killed an Endless One. You can never have too much removal. At least I think so. LOL.
    Lingering Souls was a house as usual.
    Probably going to leave the 75 the same. Relics were also really good vs BR reanimator and Aggro Loam. GY and a Cantrip in one card is always nice.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

I don't have a strong opinion on Gid v Elspeth; but I really like the Fly-Pumps.

On blossom: I've loved blossom for a few years. Even when decay was everywhere, blossom was the easiest "lol i win" against miracles you could have, especially G1. My favorite game with it was one where I was on the draw G2, and T2 I drop Blossom, his T3 he drops blood moon. He cantrips the rest of the game, terminus'd a couple times, etc.. I casted nothing else IIRC. I won that match haha.

Other things about blossom: I like tutor boards, and Blossom makes it a slight bit better. Blossom is a 1-card win against Lands a lot of the time (or, a lock that is difficult for them to win over if you build your board IME.) I've seen it grind me a lot of card advantage, and it's "win speed" is equivalent to a 3/x (8 turns.)

It's perfectly fine that some people don't like it, but I'm a big fan of "pay 2 mana once" and less grave reliance. Blossom is a bit slow, that's true, but it also costs 3 less mana. If you like aggressively wastelanding people or holding up mana for instants, etc, it's pretty helpful. It does make Goyf MUs worse sometimes and occasionally you'll lose because your opponent was able to create tempo with it (usually via an aggressive DRS.) The last benefit is, outside of Deed or blowing up blossom the turn it lands, Blossom always creates CA since cards will either wipe the tokens or they'll kill the blossom, but not both.

Souls is great with lots of mana and has its place as a mid/late game haymaker. Souls has lots of uses beefing up Brutality, staying relevant after being Hymned, etc. But them both making tokens is to undermine that one is able to be a T2 play and is quite good on Tempo/Mana; and the other has a lot of synergy and is a much better topdeck. Hopefully that explains my affair with the blossom

Learning Blue cards
    Nov 2012
    Beijing,China

Quote Originally Posted by tescrin View Post
    I don't have a strong opinion on Gid v Elspeth; but I really like the Fly-Pumps.

On blossom: I've loved blossom for a few years. Even when decay was everywhere, blossom was the easiest "lol i win" against miracles you could have, especially G1. My favorite game with it was one where I was on the draw G2, and T2 I drop Blossom, his T3 he drops blood moon. He cantrips the rest of the game, terminus'd a couple times, etc.. I casted nothing else IIRC. I won that match haha.

Other things about blossom: I like tutor boards, and Blossom makes it a slight bit better. Blossom is a 1-card win against Lands a lot of the time (or, a lock that is difficult for them to win over if you build your board IME.) I've seen it grind me a lot of card advantage, and it's "win speed" is equivalent to a 3/x (8 turns.)

It's perfectly fine that some people don't like it, but I'm a big fan of "pay 2 mana once" and less grave reliance. Blossom is a bit slow, that's true, but it also costs 3 less mana. If you like aggressively wastelanding people or holding up mana for instants, etc, it's pretty helpful. It does make Goyf MUs worse sometimes and occasionally you'll lose because your opponent was able to create tempo with it (usually via an aggressive DRS.) The last benefit is, outside of Deed or blowing up blossom the turn it lands, Blossom always creates CA since cards will either wipe the tokens or they'll kill the blossom, but not both.

Souls is great with lots of mana and has its place as a mid/late game haymaker. Souls has lots of uses beefing up Brutality, staying relevant after being Hymned, etc. But them both making tokens is to undermine that one is able to be a T2 play and is quite good on Tempo/Mana; and the other has a lot of synergy and is a much better topdeck. Hopefully that explains my affair with the blossom
    BB pumps both opponent's and yours Goyfs.
    I hear they got twisters miles wide in the Midwest.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Anybody here? I kind of want to get back on the train. trying to think of a list. How has Collective Brutality been? It seems perfect in our deck. Not sold on SFM package right now due to KCommand and such. I guess the 4 Hymn and such is preferred now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Anybody here? I kind of want to get back on the train. trying to think of a list. How has Collective Brutality been? It seems perfect in our deck. Not sold on SFM package right now due to KCommand and such. I guess the 4 Hymn and such is preferred now?
    I've been playing something very close to Wilkin's list with a few changes and the deck has been super fun and overall pretty solid. It feels like you have game against every deck in the format. Sometimes you get the games where you draw discard when literally anything else in your deck would have gotten you there, but that is the life of someone who plays DGA.

4 Dark Confidant
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Palace Jailer
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Cabal Therapy
    1 Inqusition of Kozilek
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    2 Vindicate
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull
    2 Lingering Souls
    2 Chrome Mox
    4 Scrubland
    1 Bayou
    2 Swamp
    1 Plains
    1 Karakas
    4 Wasteland
    4 Marsh Flats
    2 Polluted Delta
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Brutality is a pretty good card. I'm slow to change so right now I run one in the sideboard. lol, only recently did I take out a Shriekmaw to fit in a Liliana, the Last Hope.

Yeah KCommand is a beating. But I still run Mystics and I still do alright vs Czech Pile. Of course, that is probably anecdotal to use my results. May put back in a Gideon or a Wilt-Lief Liege in the sideboard, although putting in the Liliana, the Last Hope has helped a bunch.

Aug 2016
    Flanders

@Megadeus: I ran DGA for a while on MODO this summer and had a pretty good winrate, the lists were pretty much the same overall +- a few cards:
    http://mtgtop8.com/compare?l=_303280_300471_300009_

Although I'm not sure if +1 land wouldn't be better in hindsight as when I lost it was often due to mana screw.

Then I dabbled in some other archetypes and when I played some more games with DGA inbetween somehow that ended less well. Unsure why as the meta is not that different from july-august I guess?

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

@Megadeus I tested with Brutality in my list instead of Hymn for 5 tourament. I didn't find any room then cut the Hymns.

Brutality was goos for a while but I soon realized that I have hard time to win deck with good CA like Jund and Midrange deck.

So I don't recommande to cut Hymn for Brutality

There have been some argument over Bitterblossom vs, Lingering Souls what is the best token maker. I think Lingering Souls is better many times then Bitterblossom. Bitterblooms are a good sideborad aganist Mirkel or other slow controll decks. Here is some points I think Lingering Souls is better

1. Bitterblosson is slower then Souls. Even if it it play on turn 2, it will have 4 tokens without summon sickness in turn 7. Souls can be played on turn 3 and 4 and have them all attack on turn 5.

2. Lingering Souls is better topdeck. After turn 3 you don't want to draw Bitterblossom over a Lingering Souls. Bitter will do nothing when played on turn 3 but souls can get two tokens right away. You can attack for two next turn or have two blockers to buy time.

3. Bitterblossom is only one card, Souls are two. It's worse for the oppment to discard a Souls then a Bitterblossom. You can flashback souls if they discard it! Most will FoW with a picth card to stop Bitterblossom but you lose so much more then you do it aganist souls. Lingering Souls is more value even if not resolved!

4. Bitterblossom is esier to 1 for 1. If the oppment gets a removel for it before you get your turn, you didn't get anything. Souls makes two token and required the oppment to have at least a sweeper to get 1-1. And then you can flashback.

I have a good winrate right now om my LGS. 3 "3-1" and 2 "4-0" in 5 weeks
    Deadguy ale Primer: http://articles.mtgcardmarket.com/br...n-deadguy-ale/ (Jeff did it before me)

Tournament Report. Won a small legacy event to win 2 Judge Foil Noble Hierarchs. 5 rounds cut to top 8.

4 Dark Confidant
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Shriekmaw
    1 Hero of Bladehold
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Cabal Therapy
    1 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Hymn to Tourach
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    2 Vindicate
    1 Abrupt Decay
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull
    3 Lingering Souls
    2 Chrome Mox
    4 Scrubland
    1 Bayou
    2 Swamp
    1 PLains
    1 Karakas
    4 Wasteland
    4 Marsh Flats
    2 Polluted Delta
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Verdant Catacombs

Side. 1 Leyline of Sanctity, 1 Leyline of the Void, 1 Surgical Extraction, 2 Relic of Progenitus, 1 Toxic Deluge, 1 Engineered Explosives, 1 Zealous Persecution, 1 Containment Priest, 1 Gaddock Teeg, 1 Sanctum Prelate, 2 Humility, 1 Dismember, 1 Collective Brutality

Round 1. MUD Win 2-0
    I have an early Dark Confidant with a Jitte on it. So when he's able to cast a 2/2 Walking Ballista, I'm not too concerned since Jitte already has 2 counters on it
    Game 2 I mull to 5 but I'm able to waste a few lands while I have an active Deathrite Shaman. Jitte + Lingering Souls does cleanup. His hands weren't very explosive in either game. I got knocked down to as low as 4 life in game 2 but I was able to chump block enough with Souls until Jitte got online.

Round 2. Storm Win 2-0
    Game 1 he casts Ad Nauseum at 17 life. He goes for it since I just cast A dark Confidant, threatening to give me discard. Unfortunately for him he dies to his own Ad Nauseum.

Game 2 is interesting. So I have a 7 card hand that included Leyline of Sanctity. lol. But aside from a Relic of Progenitus I didn't have much else going on.

So I'm at 19 and a Dark confidant on board. He's able to echoing truth my Leyline on his turn to try and go off...... He has an Island and swamp in play (no land drop this turn). He's able to storm so far for 8, which includes an Infernal Tutor on the stack with no cards in hand and 5 black mana floating. I thought he was going to go straight for Tendrils of Agony and knock me down to 1 life, with a Bob on board to probably kill myself. He ends up going for Ad Nauseum....flips 8 cards and dies. Yeah, wow. Didn't flip a single Petal, Chrome Mox or a Land. He ends up flipping all the 4 and 5 mana cards (Dark Petition) to die. I personally would have went for the Tendrils but at 19 life you'd figure you'd be safe with Ad Nauseum.

Round 3. Death and Taxes. Win 2-0
    Game 1. I had a turn 1 Stoneforge Mystic into Sword of Fire and Ice. I already have a skull in hand. He goes Canopy into Vial. On my turn I waste his land and then vial in my Batterskull and he scoops it up.
    Game 2. He mulls to 5 and I have an early Liliana of the Veil and Liliana, the Last Hope. GG

Round 4. ID Another Storm Deck.
    Round 5. ID Lands.

I'm the 3rd seed.
    Round 6. Grixis Delver. Win 2-1
    Game 1. I'm able to waste a few lands and Hymn to Tourach another 2 lands really restricting what my opponent could do. He has a Delver of Secrets, a Young Pyromancer, 1 Elemental Token and a Shaman. I have my own Shaman, A bob, Mystic and a Batterskull. I land a Liliana the Last Hope and start picking off his team. For a little while he had no lands and a Shaman. Since I had my own Shaman he didn't have any mana.

Game 2. I punted. He has an Angler and a Shaman. I have 2 Mystics in play, a SOFI in hand as well as a Lingering Souls and a Toxic Deluge. I swing with both Mystics so he would block with angler, so I'd only have to deluge for 4. Daze blowout. Should have either cast the Lingering Souls or passed the turn and vial in the sword at his end step. I was at 13 life so I could have taken an Angler hit.

Game 3. I have a Chrome Mox in play (vindicate imprint), a basic plains and a basic Swamp in play he only has a Volcanic in play. I have a Batterskull (which he knows about) and a Hero of Bladehold in hand. I inquisition him seeing a Delver, Force, Abrade and a Grim Lavamancer. I tank for a bit and take the Delver. I cross my fingers that A. doesn't draw a blue card and B. if he draws a land he doesn't Abrade my Chrome Mox. He draws another Volcanic and plays Lavamancer. I topdeck a Wasteland and play Hero of Bladehold. I know cross my fingers he doesn't draw another land. He doesn't, he has a ponder. I think he shuffled with it too. I topdeck another wasteland knocking him down to only a Grim Lavamancer and Hero takes care of the rest.

Round 7. MUD Win 2-0
    He has a slow start....Land go turn 1. I cause a bit of Pressure with Bob, Mystic, Deathrite, Batterskull and a Liliana, the Last Hope. He topdecks a Forgemaster and has a greaves in play (which I should have Vindicated the last turn but chose to hit Grim Monolith instead). He sacs, a Citadel, Forgemaster and the Chalice at 1 for a Platinum Emperion with a greaves now attached to it. I have Swords to Plowshares in hand but I'm all tapped out. He passes the turn. Bob Flips.....the other Vindicate. And I draw a land I need to Vindicate the Greaves and Plow the Emperion.
    Game 2. He goes Cavern go. I have turn 1 Dark Confidant, turn 2 Liliana of the Veil. He's able to cast a Wurmcoil Engine later but I have enough Lingering Souls to chump block before I can assemble Mystic, Batterskull, allowing me to have Liliana make him go down to 2 3/3's which are more manageable with a 4/4 germ token out there.

Round 8. Lands. Win 2-1
    Game 1. Blowout. I have an ok hand with 3 lands, including a wasteland. A swords, bob and Mystic. His hand was much much better. Double mox diamond into Life from the Loam and gambles a turn later. He has the combo but he doesn't need to go off.....and he has Ghost Quarter and Tabernacle and I scoop it up
    Game 2. My opener is Leyline of the Void, Chrome Mox, inquisition, 2 Thoughtseize, 2 Bobs. Super risky but i keep. I thoughtseize his hand and take the only card i can, Krosan Grip.
    I don't draw a land for a couple of turns but I'm able to cast a Bob which doesn't die. He flips like 5 lands to me and although my opponent has 3 mazes of Ith , He scoops it up when I can ulitmate Liliana of the Veil, have Bob, Mystic with SOFI on it and a Batterskull
    Game 3. I have a Wasteland and a Relic that keeps him off of having my creatures die to Punishing Fire. I'm able to Land a Hero of Bladehold and win from there.

-Notes
    -Lingering Souls didn't dominate like it usually does for me.
    -Hero only showed up twice but closed out both games when she did
    -Did 1 turn Dark Confidant or Stoneforge Mystic 6 times I think.
    -Liliana of the Veil probably did the most damage today. Having both Lilianas in play at the same time is insane.
    -I don't really miss going down to 1 Shriekmaw.

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

I want top 8 on my LGS today. 34 was in the tourament.

My deck:

1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

4 Dark Confidant
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Tidehollow Sculler

4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Fatal Push

1 Bayou
    4 Marsh Flats
    2 Plains
    3 Scrubland
    4 Swamp
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Wasteland
    1 Karakas
    1 Windswept Heath
    1 Horizon Canopy

3 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Gideon of the Trials

2 Lingering Souls
    2 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Thoughtseize
    2 Council's Judgment
    1 Toxic Deluge

SB: 1 Pithing Needle
    SB: 1 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 1 Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    SB: 1 Gaddock Teeg
    SB: 3 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 1 Diabolic Edict
    SB: 1 Zealous Persecution
    SB: 1 Disenchant
    SB: 1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    SB: 1 Kaya, Ghost Assassin
    SB: 1 Liliana, the Last Hope

Match 1:
    2-1 Esper Humans
    Jitte and removel can take over the game fast in this match up. Good Matchup

Match 2:
    2-0 Grixis Delver
    He Daze alot but I got more lands.

He didn'r draw ro much lands in second game and I kill all he's cretures. Good Matchup

Match 3:
    Turbo Deapth 2-1

Game 1: I got Gideon of The Trails, Karakas and Wasteland. I had everything. Gideon of the Trails is good.

Game 2: I had the game but I played my land before I draw my card from SoFaI. I draw Wasteland the could help me win the game.

Game 3: I won. Good match up I think

Match 4:
    UB Death's Shadow.

He played Delver and then Daze, Daze. I only draw 1 removel with 3 Delvers on the field.

Game 2: We had a stallmate and I only need to draw a white land in 4 turns to play my Gideon, Ally but didn't :(

I think it's a good matchup still

Match 5
    Bloodmoon Stompy

He played Void and Spyglass with his City of Traitors. Didn't draw anything else

Game 2: He get Chalies but I don't have any 1 drops. He plays Blood Moon but I have fetch for Basics. Sword of Fire and Ice selaed the deal. Good matchup.

Draw Top 8!

Esper Bomberman

1-2

I won the first game. I stop his game play and he draw only lands.

Game 2: Keep a bad 6. 4 lands with Toxic and Sword of Fire and Ice. Didn't draw anything good and he has Jace :(

Game 3: Few lands but I get Deathrite and Stoneforge. Gets Batterskull and attack. I have a Needle in hand but don't know what to say on it. He plays Auriok Salvagers and combos off.

It could gone better. I don't know if this is a good matchup for me.
    Deadguy ale Primer: http://articles.mtgcardmarket.com/br...n-deadguy-ale/ (Jeff did it before me)

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Fjaulnir View Post
    @Megadeus: I ran DGA for a while on MODO this summer and had a pretty good winrate, the lists were pretty much the same overall +- a few cards:
    http://mtgtop8.com/compare?l=_303280_300471_300009_

Although I'm not sure if +1 land wouldn't be better in hindsight as when I lost it was often due to mana screw.

Then I dabbled in some other archetypes and when I played some more games with DGA inbetween somehow that ended less well. Unsure why as the meta is not that different from july-august I guess?
    23 landsish feels about right to me, assuming that we're counting chrome mox as a basic land.

The deck just kinds of ebbs and flows for me, but other than that i've done reasonable with DGA on mtgo too in the last couple of days. . The metagame online is really nice because it's primarily fair blue decks so DGA usually thrives but sometimes you run into 4 S&T players in a row. I definitely this think deck is really well positioned even in the face of 4c Control.
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    23 landsish feels about right to me, assuming that we're counting chrome mox as a basic land.

The deck just kinds of ebbs and flows for me, but other than that i've done reasonable with DGA on mtgo too in the last couple of days. . The metagame online is really nice because it's primarily fair blue decks so DGA usually thrives but sometimes you run into 4 S&T players in a row. I definitely this think deck is really well positioned even in the face of 4c Control.
    Hmmm....show and tell with or without Omniscience? I find I have trouble with the Omniscience version but the other...I'm fine with. LOL, it got to the point where a guy who I know who plays sneak show wouldn't cast Show and Tell into Emrakul vs me, knowing that I probably had the Shriekmaw or Karakas in hand.

Yeah, even with 4 color Leovold running around, I still feel confidant going with Dead guy. But lol, this is coming from the guy that played Dead Guy in the Treasure Cruise meta.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Hmmm....show and tell with or without Omniscience? I find I have trouble with the Omniscience version but the other...I'm fine with. LOL, it got to the point where a guy who I know who plays sneak show wouldn't cast Show and Tell into Emrakul vs me, knowing that I probably had the Shriekmaw or Karakas in hand.

Yeah, even with 4 color Leovold running around, I still feel confidant going with Dead guy. But lol, this is coming from the guy that played Dead Guy in the Treasure Cruise meta.
    I didn't see omni out of 1 list but I think all 4 were playing it. It seems like a combination of things really, kept slow hands (Stuff like double priest, hymn, land, land, land prelate) , kept discard heavy hands against leyline draws, got blown out by a turn 1 grim lavamancer, etc. I definitely don't think that the matchup is bad, just some bad beats but that is just the nature of the format.

I don't think that the 4c matchup is that bad either, mostly it just comes down to having ways to interact with them. Most of the games i've lost are the hands where I kind of do my own thing without trying to interact with them and lose because they're a rock deck that also plays blue cards. They're also a pretty fragile deck in the early couple of turns so you can very easily disrupt their mana.

If you want a really strong 4c control matchup I think that a dega/mardu build is very strong vs them. I'd be on something close to that but there are way too many counterbalances online.
    Last edited by CptHaddock; 01-23-2018 at 08:54 AM.

Good day.

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I didn't see omni out of 1 list but I think all 4 were playing it. It seems like a combination of things really, kept slow hands (Stuff like double priest, hymn, land, land, land prelate) , kept discard heavy hands against leyline draws, got blown out by a turn 1 grim lavamancer, etc. I definitely don't think that the matchup is bad, just some bad beats but that is just the nature of the format.
    Yeah, sometimes they got turn 1 or 2 SaT and you can’t do anything about it. It don’t happen often.

We play a lot of discard and they need two card to ”combo off”.

I think Sneak and Show is the combo deck that I have the best matchup with

Apr 2015
    Long Island, NY

[Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

I was browsing new cards tonight and I saw one that caught my eye...Paladin of Attonement. A 2 CMC 1/1 that grows when we lose life. With cards like Thoughtseize and Dark Confidant as our core, is it worth looking at? Even more so if you plan on playing Bitterblossom. I know it’s tough to slot any more cards into the 2 hole for us, but I think this could be a cool card. Especially if it dies and we’re at a low life total, we can gain some of it back. I know a lot of you won’t put it in the deck but Am I crazy for thinking this could be a good card for us?

(Edit) Also, how about Sphinx’s Decree as a sideboard card against something like Storm? I know there are better options but unfair decks seem to have the advantage against us. Could this help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information