Page 297 of 319 FirstFirst ... 197247287293294295296297298299300301307 ... LastLast
Results 5,921 to 5,940 of 6380

Thread: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

So here's the report. Maindeck the same. Only change to board was taking out a Collective Brutality and putting in a Gideon, Ally of Zendikar.

Round 1. Grixis Delver. Win 2-0.
    My opponent goes Delver turn 1. I thoughtseize him on my turn and see a forked bolt, 2 forces and a daze. I take the bolt since I have my Abrupt Decay in hand. He reveals a Force from Delver. So after I kill his Delver I proceed to cast Hymn to Tourach and Lingering Souls, making his Forces pretty bad. Eventually I land a Hero of Bladehold to clean things up. Can't remember much from game 2. But I ended the game at 26 so I think i had Batterskull out that game.

Round 2. Maverick W2-1.
    I have a meh hand and he has turn 1 Mom and turn 2 Mystic. GG.
    Game 2. I have Batterskull online this time to win.
    Game 3. He has a slow start and at one point I had Liliana, the Last Hope and Gideon Ally of Zendikar out at the same time. Lilly dies to an Abrupt Decay but Gideon makes dudes every turn to win.

Round 3. Czech Pile. Win 2-1
    Lingering Souls and Sword of Fire and Ice were key here in games 1 and 3.

Round 4. Death and Taxes. Lose 2-0
    I draw very badly and can't deal with Mom in game 1. I have deathrites out in game 2 but not enough lands in either yard to do much with them.

Round 5. Grixis Delver. Lose 2-1
    Can't remember much notable here.

Round 6. BUG Delver. Win 2-0
    Lingering Souls MVP here again.

Round 7. Grixis Delver. L 2-0

Round 8. Storm L 2-0
    I only had a Chrome mox opening once and it came in game 2 here. Bob turn 1 is great vs a lot of deck. Against Storm....meh.

Notes:
    -I probably should have went with my gut and go with Drown in Sorrow in over Gideon, Ally of Zendikar.
    -only had 1 Chrome mox opening.
    -Hero of Bladehold kill count: 1
    -Lingering Souls and Sword of Fire and Ice were MVP here. All my wins vs Delver and Czech Pile were due to Souls.
    -Being on the draw for all 8 matches sucked.
    -my team was also 4-4. My Modern teammate only had 2 losses. Can't remember about our standard player. He didn't finish at least 3 games since my modern player and I play pretty fast.
    -disappointed since we started out great at 3-0. lol, we were even the first ranked team on the website and were at table 5....and then it all falls apart.

-On sunday in a side event I did notice another Deadguy Ale player. One that also played 2 Chrome Mox. I saw him dismantle Lands, Surgical Extraction on Life from the Loam and on Punishing Fire. Savage.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Shout out to Owen Watson for repping Ale at the SCG Duel for Duals event.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Lost in the finals of Eternal Trial at a local Tournament. 18 players, cut to top 8. Matches were streamed and you can see them on facebook. Hairy Tarantula is name of store. I was in the round 2, semi-finals and finals.

Same old, same old list. Boarded out Drown in Sorrow for a Collective Brutality as there's an uptick in burn and storm....

Round 1. Burn. 2-0.
    He was stuck on one land the entire game. I was able to cast Lingering Souls and Jitte. GG. Game 2, I had Leyline of Sanctity in my opening 6. lol. Gotcha.

Round 2. Burn. Again. 2-1
    I had Jitte and Batterskull game 1. Game 2, i kept a meh hand and got Fireblasted for the loss. Game 3. I had Leyline of Sanctity late in game which helped a bit plus a Sanctum Prelate naming 1 with a SOFI on it. Barely got there. A topdeck Price of Progress or Smash to Smithereens would have got me.

Round 3. Grixis Delver. 2-1
    Batterskull + SOFI = fun times. Game 2, was quick. I don't remember casting much or doing much. lol. Game 3. He had 2 deathrites but was flooded. I resolved a Hero of Bladehold. With a SOFI in play, it was GG.

Round 4. ID
    Round 5. ID

2nd seed going in.
    Round 6. Burn. My round 1 opponent.
    Game 1. He's a bit mana screwed again. My turn 1 Bob gets a bit frisky but he dies to a bolt when i equip it with Jitte. But another Bob closes it out.
    Game 2. I open my 7 card hand with Leyline of Sanctity. lol. Searing Blaze can't be cast because of the leyline. Sidenote: If i had a Liliana or another walker out, then yes Blaze could then be cast but it has to hit the walker. He attacked with a Goblin Guide and a Eidolon into my Hero of Bladehold. I blocked the Guide, he tried to blaze Hero and me. No sir. And then he died to Hero.

Round 7. Grixis Delver. My round 3 opponent. 2-0 win
    Game 1 I waste his lands. He wastes a few of mine but I draw into more lands and proceed to spam Lingering Soul tokens. Turns out, 4 Lingering Souls have a free ride when there's nothing at all on the other side. lol.
    Game 2. Board state. I have a Liliana on 2, A bob, mystic and a Soul token in play. He has a Gurmag Angler in play (no cards in hand but a Ancient Grudge in yard). I have a Batterskull in hand (as well as a Lingering Souls) but I can't bring it in because of Grudge. Bob reveals a Relic, knocking me down to 5. So I swing with Bob, he lets it through (he's still very much alive). I sacrifice the Liliana to kill my Bob. Play Relic and crack relic. The plan was to chump with the Souls token and vial in Batterskull. I draw a Swords to Plowshares off of the Relic. Nice. I play Batterskull at his end step and win from there.

Round 8. Lands. Lose 2-0
    Game 1. I mull to 5 looking for some sort of action. I don't get it. He has Gamble for Life from the Loam. And punishing Fire. GG.
    Game 2. My opener is Deathrite, Bob, 2 lands, 1 Chrome Mox, 1 Liliana, the Last Hope and....Leyline of the Void. haha. He eventually is able to Gamble for a Krosan Grip (his first gamble ended up discarding a Krosan Grip). I don't draw much thereafter. Liliana got as close as 7 counters but not able to ulitmate.

Notes:
    Maindeck MVP: Lingering Souls. Whether it was beating down on its own or picking up equipment, it was on fire.
    Sideboard MVP: Leylines. lol. I play 1 Leyline of Sanctity and 1 Leyline of the Void. I had 3 turn 0 Leylines. 2 vs burn and 1 vs lands. And another Leyline, hardcast but still relevant vs burn.
    Hero of Bladehold Kill count: 2. 1 vs burn. 1 vs Grixis Delver. She only showed up twice but closed out both games when she did.
    Might take out a Humility for a Needle or Spyglass. Not as much reanimator or Sneak show around my meta atm.

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

Lingering Souls is really good in current Legacy Meta with all one for one removel.

I think Pluage Mare is a new card for this deck. It’s a way to kill Truename and Pyromancer. I want one in main instead of Toxic Deludge
    Deadguy ale Primer: http://articles.mtgcardmarket.com/br...n-deadguy-ale/ (Jeff did it before me)

Quote Originally Posted by Ganfar View Post
    Lingering Souls is really good in current Legacy Meta with all one for one removel.

I think Pluage Mare is a new card for this deck. It’s a way to kill Truename and Pyromancer. I want one in main instead of Toxic Deludge

Plague mare is cool, but aside from slightly better body isn't it basically worse than orzhov pontiff?

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessReanimator View Post
    Plague mare is cool, but aside from slightly better body isn't it basically worse than orzhov pontiff?
    That is true. Maybe it's time to have orzhov pontiff in main deck?
    Deadguy ale Primer: http://articles.mtgcardmarket.com/br...n-deadguy-ale/ (Jeff did it before me)

I'd rather have a Toxic Deluge than a Pontiff in the main.

Another small tournament report. Side event at Canadian Nationals. Lost in semi finals. 5 rounds cut to top 8. 20+ players. Did much better than yesterday at Eternal trial for legacy and vintage.

Same list as Hairy T report.

Round 1. Sneak show. Win 2-1
    Game 1. He has 2 ancient Tombs and a Lotus Petal. I inquisition him seeing a Sneak attack, Griselbrand and 2 brainstorms. I take a brainstorm and then I Abrupt Decay the petal forcing him to use the petal on brainstorm. Not like I was going to do much else with Decay. On his turn he plays 2 petals and casts Sneak Attack. He doesn't draw another red source and I have a Karakas in play to complicate matters.
    Game 2. He has Leyline of Sanctity and casts turn 1 Show and tell into Griselbrand. LOL, i don't actually have the humility or the pithing needle to get me out of this jam.
    Game 3. He has double Leyline of Sanctity. But a clunky hand that is made worse by a resolved Gaddock Teeg. He had Sneak attack as his card to cheat in guys.

Round 2. Mono Black reanimator with Dark Depths Win 2-1
    Game 1. I keep an inquisition, hymn and Wasteland. Not great (i know what he is playing) but i keep anyway. I see with inquisition that he has 2 reanimates, 2 urborgs and not much else. I'm able to eventually kill him with Deathrites and Lingering Souls tokens.
    Game 2. I mull to 5...and he has turn 2 Dark Depths via Vampire Hexmage. GG.
    Game 3. I have enough varied hate with Relics, Deathrite and Plow for his Grave Titan to win.

Round 3. Miracle. Win 2-1
    I don't remember much here other than jace winning game 2 and Lingering Souls and equipment winning games 1 and 3.

Round 4. ID
    Round 5. ID

Round 6. UW Stoneblade. Jordan Laporte. Win 2-0
    He gets Hymned on the draw turn 1 and immediately recognizes that I'm deadguy ale. Jordan played at Grand Prix Seattle on camera, with deadguy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6vQumb2fyM His match on camera starts at about 29:10.

He's not even mad when I kill him with Hero of Bladehold game 1. lol. He was happy to see a Deadguy Ale deck do well.
    Game 2 turning point. He has a Monk token with jitte with 2 counters on it. I have 4 Lingering Soul tokens out and Zealous in hand. He's at around 11 life. I swing with the team, he uses the counters to try and kill 2 guys, I zealous in response.....saving my guys, killing his monk token and swinging for 6, instead of 4 (jitte counters didn't kill my guys but did make them a bit smaller).

Round 7. Miracles. Round 3 opponent. Lose 2-1
    Game 1. Batterskull , SOFI and Soul beats.
    Game 2. Jace + predict card advantage juggernaut.
    game 3. He's able to kill me with Mentor + Monks. I had Hero of bladehold out, but not enough dudes to go with it. He's at 11 and I swing with a Hero, 2 soldiers and a Mystic. An active Deathrite sits back. He has 2 monks to defend, 2 that already attacked and a Mentor that already attacked. My only out is if he lets all the damage through and then I eat an instant or sorcery. Unfortunately, he does make at least 1 block.

Notes: Got a box of Dominaria, some packs and a Foil Flooded strand for my trouble. Relieved my weekend wasn't a waste since Saturday sucked hard.
    -Hero of Bladehold kill count. 1. And a rare feat, she swung once, wasn't killed but I lost anyway in the Miracles game.
    -Lingering Souls was the MVP again, with equipment.
    -Sideboard MVP. Relic of Progenitus. Kept Reanimator in check and ate some cards vs Miracles.
    -Other notes; I didn't see a single Delver or Czech Pile deck. Weird. Tons of Death and taxes. at least 3. 2 or 3 lands decks. 4 Miracles. 1, probably 2 Sneak show.
    -A lot of interesting new cards too that I saw. Spellseeker and Brightling. Brightling is very very annoying to play against.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

I dunno about you guys but I'm happy about DRS because it means we can be a true WB deck ^_^
    For those interested in the latest Ancient decks (and the format in general) visit: http://ancientmtgdecks.blogspot.ca/

Nov 2014
    Stockholm

Quote Originally Posted by Teluin View Post
    I dunno about you guys but I'm happy about DRS because it means we can be a true WB deck ^_^
    Yes, agree. But we need to replace it somehow.

I played with Mother of Runes before Deathrite came but I don't know if I want 4 of them in the deck.

Maybe we can give Deadeye Tracker a shot? Maybe to slow but can get some value and gravehat

Im going back to some number of Moms to start (maybe 3?) I think tracker is too slow/mana intensive to be relevant in places where the grave hate matters. If you played vial deadguy it might be ok, but ive never been a fan of that variant.

I played with Mother of Runes before Deathrite came but I don't know if I want 4 of them in the deck.

Maybe we can give Deadeye Tracker a shot? Maybe to slow but can get some value and gravehat

Vial deadguy kind of meh. But i may have to try it. UGH.

Changes I thought of....
    -4 Deathrite
    -1 Abrupt Decay
    -1 Bayou

+2 Relic of Progenitus
    +1 Chrome Mox
    +1 Shambling Vent
    +1 Unexpectedly Absent
    +1 Swamp

Super huge downgrade. oh well.

Im dreading upping chrome mox, but but get the reasoning. Relic mainboard is actually giving me an idea for an unrelated deck. Does jotun grunt become a thing again? Ive been mentally preparing for this ban, but still dont know what this new world will look like yet

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    Vial deadguy kind of meh. But i may have to try it. UGH.

Changes I thought of....
    -4 Deathrite
    -1 Abrupt Decay
    -1 Bayou

+2 Relic of Progenitus
    +1 Chrome Mox
    +1 Shambling Vent
    +1 Unexpectedly Absent
    +1 Swamp

Super huge downgrade. oh well.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

The worst part is losing that free life gain in the burn/ur matchups.
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Jul 2013
    Texas

I don't think it's that bad, honestly. Not sure how many or mainboard/sideboard but seems very strong in certain matchups. Can Threshold let you untap with it? Also, Lingering Souls/Therapy have nice synergy.

I do like the idea of Thoughtseize/Mom into Bob/Stoneforge again.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    The worst part is losing that free life gain in the burn/ur matchups.
    Yeah ill be more inclined to play brutality main now.

Oh Jotun Grunt. I did try it once upon a time. Decent creature although I find it only really lives for about 3 turns.

I used to run 3 chrome mox. Necessary evil imo. When Shaman came along, reducing Mox to 2 was great.

I tried Dark Taxes. It was ok. Sucks not having Lingering Souls and Liliana though.

I found I didn't actually gain much life with Shaman vs burn or UR Delver. What it did do though was be a magnet for a removal spell. As long as it wasn't searing Blaze, I was somewhat ok with burn going to creatures rather than me.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    Oh Jotun Grunt. I did try it once upon a time. Decent creature although I find it only really lives for about 3 turns.

I used to run 3 chrome mox. Necessary evil imo. When Shaman came along, reducing Mox to 2 was great.

I tried Dark Taxes. It was ok. Sucks not having Lingering Souls and Liliana though.

I found I didn't actually gain much life with Shaman vs burn or UR Delver. What it did do though was be a magnet for a removal spell. As long as it wasn't searing Blaze, I was somewhat ok with burn going to creatures rather than me.
    I found that it was usually good in stabilizing and eventually taking over the game. I tried dark D&T as well and didn't think it was that good either, you can't really play a lot of the cards you would want to because of dis-synergies with the rest of the deck.

I'm thinking about making similar changes to what you purposed. Instead of the relic and absent I think i'm going to play some more discard.

Good day.

If you are considering Deadeye Tracker, wouldn't Withered Wretch be a consideration for that effect? I don't know how relevant exiling two cards at a time are compared to one but the cost for that effect is cheaper.

Merrow bonegnawer or skullsnatcher is quicker to activate, or dryad militant can slow down many gy decks. Dunno if i think any are worth a slot though. Think mainboard grave hate is just not gonna be a thing unless you want to go all in with mainboard macabre or planar void ( which sucks with souls)

Quote Originally Posted by Part_timeMTG View Post
    If you are considering Deadeye Tracker, wouldn't Withered Wretch be a consideration for that effect? I don't know how relevant exiling two cards at a time are compared to one but the cost for that effect is cheaper.

I consider deadeye tracker way too slow and a mana sink for the effect. Going to run a couple of Relics main to give me some outs to Reanimator, Lands etc. PLus, I expect Canadian Threshold to come back so keeping Mongoose a 1/1 is nice.

Goldfishing Deadguy with the changes. Meh. Lol, i'm hoping to get someone with the Shambling Vent at some point. 25 mana sources is quite a bit (22 lands + 3 Chrome Mox) but I feel it's necessary because of the number of 3 drops in the deck. The sideboard got tweaked too. Now it's all singletons. LOL. I moved the Relics to the main. Took out the Gaddock Teeg, and put in a Massacre, Thalia 1.0 and a Faerie Macabre.

Very hard to predict what's going to happen, although Kombatkiwi had some very sound points on BR thread.

Thread Information